PDA

View Full Version : Five best and five worst Prequel Trilogy moments

El Chuxter
12-14-2007, 01:23 PM
No debate over whether you like the movies. Just rank your five favorite and least favorite moments.

Please don't list things that could've been (such as Jar Jar having a bigger role in AOTC and ROTS), only things that are onscreen. Also, be specific; no generalizations like "the story."

Worst:

1) Anakin's final confrontation with Padme. I know you like to refer to the OT, George, but, uh, you already referred to this speech once. I actually yelled something not nice at the screen when I watched this movie the very first time. Oh, yeah, and some actual emotional resonance would've been nice.
2) C-3PO in the Droid Factory. This is painful. Absolutely horrid. I don't know what's worse, the crappy CG or the ridiculous dialogue. And I normally like C-3PO.
3) Anakin's last stand. We were promised an amazing final duel. It was lackluster. But it was forgiveable up until the end. Obi-Wan executes a move that is physically impossible, even with the use of the Force: cutting off three of Anakin's limbs, which would in no way have been in a line.
4) The "arrest" of Palpatine. First up, three of the supposedly best Jedi go down without a fight. It would've been great to see Palpatine holding his own against four Jedi at once, rather than instantly whittling them down to one. Mace vs Palpatine one-on-one is actually rather good... up until the Force lightning. The melting is poorly done, and the "No! No! NO!" line is, believe it or not, worse than #5.
5) "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" I think this one's been beaten into the ground already.
(Runner-up) The entire Geonosis battle. The Jedi fight like idiots, and the cinematography simply isn't Star Wars.

Best:

1) Maul vs Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. This is, simply put, the best fight in the Saga by a long shot. Perfectly choreographed, and with plenty of action, and even some fine acting by the three participants.
2) Dooku vs Obi-Wan, Anakin, and Yoda. The first part of this is almost as good as the Maul fight. Dooku's style is amazing to watch. Though I think Yoda's participation is useless, I have to include him, because the single best moment of the fight is Yoda pulling out his lightsaber. You know something's going down.
3) General Grievous vs Obi-Wan. I could cheat and say "any scene with Grievous," as the CG is absolutely amazing. But, since I can only pick one scene, it's this one, pretty easily. He's not the nimble monster seen in Clone Wars, but this asthmatic SOB gives him a run for his money.
4) Order 66. Despite my complaints about the Jedi going down like punks and Anakin not having sufficient motivation, the cinematography and use of Williams' score is absolutely flawless here. The look on Silas Carson's face when Ki-Adi realizes he's been bamboozled is priceless. If I were to hazard a guess, this is the sequence I'd say Spielberg ghost-directed.
5) The Podrace. Some really painfully bad dialogue, but the action makes up for it. Lucas should've left it at this and not tried to put a chase in the other two movies. And he certainly should've left it as it originally played in theaters, without the cumbersome elements added on the DVD.
(Runner-up) Obi-Wan vs Jango. Great action scene, and some very Kenobi-ish lines from our hero.

So, TPM gets two of the best and none of the worst.
AOTC gets one of the best, one of the worst, and both runners-up.
ROTS gets four of the worst and two of the best.

Kidhuman
12-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Worst:

1) YIPPEE!!!!!
2) The Droid Factory scene
3) Jar Jar Binks
4) Anakin/Padme on Naboo
5) Palps kills 4 Jedi

Best:

1) Qui-Gon/Obi/Maul fight
2) Anakin/Obi-Wan fight on Mustafar
3) Dooku/Obi/Anakin fight
4) Podrace
5) Space battle in ROTS(opening)

El Chuxter
12-14-2007, 01:55 PM
It occurs to me now that, once several people have posted their choices, I should rank these.

KH, is there a specific Jar Jar scene that you think is the worst? Otherwise your #3 is essentially all of TPM. :D

stillakid
12-14-2007, 02:22 PM
The WORST:

Christ, where do I begin?

1) I know, I know, I'm not supposed to say "The Story," but for cryin' out loud, how f'ing hard is it to pop in the six hours of original trilogy and make the few notes it would take to see how the original films refer to and establish the continuity for the entire saga? F'in' hell, I'm not the smartest one in the room, but it doesn't take a go**amn rocket scientist to figure that one out.

2) The Prequel Dialogue. OUCH!!!! Seriously, listen... on second thought, don't. Really, even if the Prequel story was that bad (and it was), it would've been at least mildly watchable except that viewers have to also hear some of the most atrocious dialogue ever penned by man. Just when we all thought that "Yippee!" was the epitamy of awful, Georgy Baby sank to a new low with the Love Scene By The Fireplace in Attack of the Bad Dialogue Clones. What the hell was he smoking when he wrote this anyway? Really, George, go back to that stuff you were puffing when you (and Huyck, Katz, and Kasdan) wrote the originals.

3) Anakin's Pledge. What the F*** was that!?!?! Just minutes before, Anakin was ready to lop Palpatine's head off when he learned that the guy is a Sith. Then, after listening to some dramatic music while alone in his flat, Bi-Polar-akin drives back to the Chancellor's office to suddenly become evil. And ONLY because Palps has this big ol' secret formula that will save Padme's life... BUT then Palps renigs on his promise and reveals that he, in fact, DOESN'T know how to do that magic trick ... and DoIreallyhavetosaythissh**George-akin STILL remains Palpatine's new apprentice. Huh!?! Anybody who watches this specific chain of events and STILL enjoys the Prequels and defends them lives in some alternate universe where logic doesn't exist.

4) Gratuitous montages. I thought I'd summarize two bad choices into #4 on the miss list. #1 is the nonsense of showing Anakin becoming Vader. WHY? If you don't understand the question, you weren't paying attention to the original films. #2 is the nonsense of showing A) Padme dying FROM NOTHING after childbirth and B) Obi Wan taking lil' Luke to live with people he's never met on a planet he's only twiddled his thumbs on!! These were clearly scenes tossed into the script to appease legions of fanboys who are more impressed with bright shiny objects than a real story.

5) Computer generated EVERYTHING. Sigh. Look, I know the advantage to using CG over creating things practically and shooting them with a real camera. But it just isn't there yet. There's a difference between the very real costumed Stormtroopers of the OT and the completely CG armies of the Prequels. Don't believe me? Look at them side by side. And the backgrounds and the sets and the creatures (Prequel aliens vs Cantina), etc. The Prequels just don't FEEL or LOOK LIKE the OT universe. I think that above all else, I just can't see the connection between that earlier time and the later OT time. Try to picture characters from the Prequels in their CG form inserted into the OT universe... like FLO or Dex from the Diner, or the Kamino creatures or even Grievous. Planets like Mustafar and the AOTC one with the bug creatures. Try picturing any of that in their current form anywhere in the middle of the OT. I just can't get there.

BEST

1) Grievous. I know, I just got finished saying that he's one of the worst because he would never exist in the OT universe, but if looked at independently of everything else, he is a great character. He looks great, he's fun, mysterious, a real go-getter. I really enjoyed that character more than anything else I saw in the Prequels.

2) The lightsaber fights. Again, independent of story and context, the choreography of the sword fighting, particularly in TPM with Obi and Maul, was pretty damn cool.

3) The podrace. A pointless exercise in terms of story, but a fun videogame sequence nonetheless.

4) Padme's wardrobe. While Portman isn't exactly my dreamgirl, she is gorgeous all the same and some of those elegant outfits by Trisha Biggar are stunning. I think I most enjoyed Padme in her Naboo flowy gauzy dress the best. Beautiful.

5) The camera "zoom in" during the battle in AOTC. In the midst of that final battle, there is a small moment when the camera zooms in on a gunship and the clones who are firing at the enemy. Though quick, that is the kind of "Bourne Supremacy" energy that much of the saga lacks. I wish we could have seen some of that "unconsidered" camera work during the Battle of Hoth so we could "feel" more like we are IN the battle rather than just watching it.

Kidhuman
12-14-2007, 04:03 PM
It occurs to me now that, once several people have posted their choices, I should rank these.

KH, is there a specific Jar Jar scene that you think is the worst? Otherwise your #3 is essentially all of TPM. :D

I guess him on Tatooine mostly. HE was at is worst there

Rocketboy
12-15-2007, 12:30 AM
The BEST:

Mabs, where do I begin?

1) I know, I know, I'm not supposed to say "The Story," but for cryin' out loud, how f'ing awesome is it to pop in the six hours of prequel trilogy and realize how awesome it is and how well it fits into the continuity of the entire saga? F'in' hell, I am the smartest one in the room, but even I know it still doesn't take a go**amn rocket(boy) scientist to figure that one out.

2) The Prequel Dialogue. Wow!!!! Seriously, listen... on second thought, really listen. Really, even if the Prequel story was that bad (and it wasn't), it would've still been highly watchable and viewers would have heard some of the greatest dialogue ever penned by man. Just when we all thought that "Yippee!" was the epitamy of cool, Georgy Baby rose to a new high with the Love Scene By The Fireplace in Attack of the (Awesome) Clones. What the hell was he smoking when he wrote this anyway? Really, George, using Shakespeare in a Star Wars movie...absolutely astounding!

3) Anakin's Pledge. What the F*** was that? Twelve kinds of awesome is what it was! Just minutes before, Anakin was ready to lop Palpatine's head off when he learned that the guy is a Sith. Then, after listening to some dramatic music while alone in his flat, not-Bi-Polar-akin drives back to the Chancellor's office to suddenly become evil. And ONLY because Palps has this big ol' secret formula that will save Padme's life... BUT then Palps renigs on his promise and reveals that he, in fact, DOESN'T know how to do that magic trick ... and DoIreallyhavetosaythiscoolsh**George-akin STILL remains Palpatine's new apprentice and George makes it 100% believable! Wow! Anybody who watches this specific chain of events and STILL hates the Prequels and knocks them lives in some alternate universe where logic doesn't exist.

4) Gratuitous montages. I thought I'd summarize two bad choices into #4 on the best list. #1 is the brilliance of showing Anakin becoming Vader. WHY? If you don't understand the question, you probably eat puppies. #2 is the brilliance of showing A) Padme dying FROM HEARTBREAK after childbirth and B) Obi Wan taking lil' Luke to live with his family, hiding in plain sight! Brilliance! These were clearly scenes added to the script to connect the trilogies and appease people who are more impressed with a real story than bright shiny objects.

5) Computer generated EVERYTHING. We all know there is a total advantage to using CG over creating things practically and shooting them with a real camera. There is no doubt - the future of film making is here! There's no discernible difference between the very real costumed Stormtroopers of the OT and the completely CG armies of the Prequels. Don't believe me? Look at them side by side and I guarantee you can't tell them apart. And the backgrounds and the sets and the creatures (Prequel aliens vs Cantina), etc. The Prequels perfectly FEEL and LOOK EXACTLY LIKE the OT universe. I think that above all else, one can clearly see the connection between that earlier time and the later OT time. Try to picture characters from the Prequels in their CG form inserted into the OT universe... like FLO or Dex from the Diner, or the Kamino creatures or even Grievous. Planets like Mustafar and the AOTC one with the bug creatures. Try picturing any of that in their current form anywhere in the middle of the OT. Pretty easy, huh?

WORST

1) Grievous. I know, I just got finished saying that he's one of the best because he could easily exist in the OT universe, but if looked at independently of everything else, he is a terrible character. He looks like crap, he's boring, and the whole mysterious thing has been done to death (especially with Boba Fett and Darth Maul). I really hated that character more than anything else I saw in the Prequels.

2) The lightsaber fights. Again, independent of story and context, the choreography of the sword fighting, particularly in TPM with Obi and Maul, was way over done and totally doesn't fit in when compared to what we saw in the OT.

3) The podrace. A pointless exercise in terms of story and a lame video game sequence.

4) Padme's wardrobe. While Portman is my dreamgirl and some of those elegant outfits by Trisha Biggar are stunning, they were all over elaborate and pointless. Did Padme really need to change her costume every f*cking time she walked into a different room? But I do confess that I think I most enjoyed Padme in her tight white Geonosis outfit. Giggity.

5) The camera "zoom in" during the battle in AOTC. In the midst of that final battle, there is a small moment when the camera zooms in on a gunship and the clones who are firing at the enemy. Though quick, that is the kind of "Transformers" distraction that much of the saga didn't need. I'm glad we didn't see some of that "unconsidered" camera work during the Battle of Hoth so we could forcibly "feel" more like we are IN the battle rather than just watching it.

plasticfetish
12-15-2007, 02:19 AM
Giggity.Hahahahahahaha!!!

bigbarada
12-21-2007, 03:45 AM
The worst:
1. Padme's death - how she loses the will to live after just giving birth to two children is beyond me.
2. Fireplace scene in AOTC - terrible dialogue that sounds more like it was written for a high school drama club, than a major motion picture.
3. Darth Vader's "NOOOOO!!!" line - this one scene is proof that the prequels were just an elaborate practical joke played on us by George Lucas
4. Coruscant chase in AOTC - the most boring and pointless "exciting chase scene" I have ever watched.
5. The Geonosian language - the best way to drive onscreen dialogue to a screeching halt is to put it in an alien language that is full of clicks, burps and arbitrary glottal stops.

The best:
1. In ROTS, Anakin is in the Jedi Temple and Padme is in her apartment and they "sense" each other across that distance and somehow know that something terrible is about to happen - I love this scene because it's so minimalist yet so effective. You even forget that there are special effects in the scene.
2. Order 66 - Another moment where you actually feel some emotional resonance. It's too bad it wasn't surrounded by a better movie.
3. Bail Organa, Obi-Wan and Yoda walking down the Blockade Runner corridor. Very cool and for the first time, Yoda actually doesn't look CG.
4. Palpatine taking control of the Senate and declaring the Jedi as enemies. The shot from behind Palpatine as he raises his arms in victory and the entire Senate cheers is almost exactly how I envisioned it when I first read the Star Wars novelization in 1985.
5. Anakin burning up on Mustafar - I have a distinct fear of burning alive so any scene in a movie where a character suffers that fate will impact me in some way. Plus the "I hate you!" line was almost perfectly delivered.

Odd, all my favorite scenes are from Ep3.

JON9000
12-21-2007, 10:54 AM
WORST:

1. Jar Jar poopy humor in TPM

2. Droid Foundry- action that somehow delays the action.

3. "M'lady"- that just makes me cringe for some reason.

4. "Yipee!"

5. "I don't care what Universe you're from, that's got to hurt!"

BEST:

1. ROTS- Anakin sitting alone in the Jedi Temple right before setting off to save Palps.

2. TPM- The hangar door opens and Maul is on the other side. Finally, the carp hits the fan! I love that bit.

3. ROTS- Order 66. Pretty effective given we don't really know these Jedi

4. ROTS- The opening shot- everyone has to admit, love or hate the prequels, it's pretty awesome!

5. AOTC- Jango vs. Obers