PDA

View Full Version : "I am Legend" review

jedi master sal
12-14-2007, 08:59 PM
Just saw it and LOVED it. made me jump in my seat a couple of times. Will Smith is awesome as usual.

No not everything is explained but it doesn't need to be. There's plenty of inference as to what happened/happens.

Effects are great. New York looks like a wasteland. Only point of contention is the creatures jaw. When they scream the jaw opens WAY to wide.

The story is good, flashbacks give insight into what happened.

I don't really want to give away to much.

I give this HIGH marks. 8.5 out of 10. I expected more action early on. But the movie finishes in a flurry. Again I won't give it away.

Go see it for yourself. I know I plan on owning this when it comes out on DVD.

-Sal

plasticfetish
12-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Awww... very cool. Thanks for the review! The wife just emailed me from work asking when we were going to see this. Maybe tonight then. :)

Hey! They played the trailer for the new Batman movie didn't they?

BountyHunterScum
12-14-2007, 11:26 PM
So they are Blade II reaper ripoffs. lol

General_Grievous
12-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Spoilers ahead

I saw this in IMAX this afternoon. The main highlight for me was the 6 minute "Dark Knight" clip (but that's for another thread). The movie was still pretty good, anyway. I wouldn't put it on my top ten for the year, but it was better than I expected. However, I did think the first half of the movie was much better than the second half. After the dog died, I thought the movie started to slip. The main complaint I can think of is that the "zombies" looked fake and not very creepy at all. However, what was creepy was the prospect of $6.50 for a gallon of gas when Neville was at the gas station. :eek: But as far as dystopian future movies go, I thought this one was pretty good. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

BTW, did anyone else catch that "Batman vs. Superman" easter egg poster in Times Square at the beginning of the movie?

scruffziller
12-22-2007, 08:58 PM
This was the best movie of its kind. Better than 28 days later and ones of the like.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-23-2007, 01:08 AM
saw it tonight and thought it was pure crap. The best scenes were definately in the first portion of the film with neville and Sam (including the obvious sad scene), but there were too many plot holes and things that were contrived and silly. Main arguments:

- The CGI was really bad. The infected looked really goofy.
- and speaking of which, we got literally NO info on what sort of creatures they were. So they don't like light? And, what else exactly? Oh, their mouths are ginormous. Why?
- I did like the reference to "Darkseekers" that was brought up and never spoken of again.
- Also, not a lot of action or jumpy parts. I counted one jumpy part early one, in the flashback of all things. That was it.
- Flashbacks were really pointless. It was revealed in the trailer/many write ups/reviews that his family is killed during the evacuation. Why spend the entire film showing flashbacks to a dramatic revelation that has already been shown/obvious to the public? Give me something new.
- the eye scanning scene with his wife was really pointless. She's infected; no, wait, she's not! So, if the scanner was wrong, how about the probably, um, thousands of others that it scanned a positive for? This was just poor writing and done for drama, which felt contrived.
- The whole scene to trigger the finale: So, Neville is shooting at a dummy, being crazy, and gets snagged in a trap? Is that REALLY the best they could do?
- Also felt the woman and her son were not done right. There is little sense that they could survive on their own, but they are able to not only get from South America to New York, but also from NY to Vermont without problems? Lame.
- And so they deliver the "cure" all is well? Are the infected going to line up, holding hands, asking for it? I read that the ending was reshot and it was definately poor.

Save your $$ folks. :thumbsup:

BountyHunterScum
12-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I knew this was garbage withtout having to see it, I read a detailed synopsis of the movie online and this movie is a blatant ripoff of past end of the world movies.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-23-2007, 09:23 PM
I knew this was garbage withtout having to see it, I read a detailed synopsis of the movie online and this movie is a blatant ripoff of past end of the world movies.

well, which ones are you referring to, cap'n? Cos if you're referring to "The Omega Man" or "the last man on earth" (i believe is the title?) that's because they're all based off the same novel from Richard Matheson; all three are adaptations. :thumbsup:

stillakid
12-23-2007, 10:08 PM

That's a silly reason to damn a movie. I mean, if the decision is made to make an "end of the world" story, there aren't too many ways to do it.

The first is to have an external force (aliens, asteroids, etc) threaten Earth and humans prove just how resourceful we really can be under duress and find a way to overcome the odds and survive.

The second is to have us fight ourselves, via warfare of human vs humans wherein humans prove just how resourceful we really can be under duress and find a way to overcome the odds and survive.

The third is for us to fight something else on Earth, which we usually instigate or cause in some way (Dinosaurs, zombies, etc) and humans prove just how resourceful we really can be under duress and find a way to overcome the odds and survive.

Beyond that, it's just details. So to preordain that any movie is garbage just because it seems reminiscent of something already done isn't a worthy critique. If the details of said story fail for whatever reason, then there is something to talk about, but ultimately, most movies are derivative of something that came before.

preacher
12-27-2007, 03:53 PM
As a fan of 28 days later and 28 weeks, and dawn of the dead and other zombie flicks (resident evil sucked), it seems very daring to say this movie was better than 28 days later. If it really is, then I am Legend's trailer didn't do it justice. What makes this better than any of those?

You want a great end-of-days flick? Go see Mist. The show was excellent albeit very hopeless - kind of like Leaving Las Vegas. Not one that I will probably ever see again, but I'm glad I did see it once.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-30-2007, 12:39 AM
- The CGI was really bad. The infected looked really goofy.Agreed. They looked like video game graphics. I think I noticed in the credits that Sony did the visual effects, so maybe that is why.

- and speaking of which, we got literally NO info on what sort of creatures they were. So they don't like light? And, what else exactly? Oh, their mouths are ginormous. Why?
- I did like the reference to "Darkseekers" that was brought up and never spoken of again. The creatures are infected humans. I don't think we needed an explanation of how the virus works. They did say at one point that the disease had rabies like symptoms. I also believe that Darkseekers was Ana's term for the infected people.

- Flashbacks were really pointless. It was revealed in the trailer/many write ups/reviews that his family is killed during the evacuation. Why spend the entire film showing flashbacks to a dramatic revelation that has already been shown/obvious to the public? Give me something new.I don't remember that from the trailer and I either didn't read the reviews or forgot what was in them. A movie shouldn't rely on trailers and reviews to fill in info for the viewer, so the flashback scenes helped explain how things got the way they were.

- the eye scanning scene with his wife was really pointless. She's infected; no, wait, she's not! So, if the scanner was wrong, how about the probably, um, thousands of others that it scanned a positive for? This was just poor writing and done for drama, which felt contrived.Perhaps. However, it made me think that if there were scanning errors, the infected could have escaped the island and that would result in the virus spreading.

- The whole scene to trigger the finale: So, Neville is shooting at a dummy, being crazy, and gets snagged in a trap? Is that REALLY the best they could do?If it was one of his own traps, then it does seem odd that he would have forgot about it. If one of the creatures made it, then it shows that they aren't completely mindless.

- Also felt the woman and her son were not done right. There is little sense that they could survive on their own, but they are able to not only get from South America to New York, but also from NY to Vermont without problems? Lame.Perhaps improbable, but not lame. If she is immune like Neville, then she need only travel by day and find a safe place to hide at night. It would have made more sense if she looked like she had been through a lot more.

- And so they deliver the "cure" all is well? Are the infected going to line up, holding hands, asking for it? I read that the ending was reshot and it was definately poor.My thought was how exactly are they going to cure it? If it is his blood, that certainly wasn't enough to cure very many. If they have to do something to the blood, then all his research was apparently destroyed and they have no idea what to do with it. Oh, and the word is definitely. That seems to be a common misspelling. If you keep it in your mind that "finite" is part of the word, then that can help remember the correct spelling.

I still enjoyed it. Maybe not worth full price of today's tickets, but I didn't hate it.

Neuroleptic
12-30-2007, 01:27 AM
I saw this movie recently, and I gotta say I liked it. It was certanly better than The Omega Man (wich is based off the same book). I kinda wish they had stuck with non CG critters like they were planning originaly since I think it would have been more convincing. The reason I read for the change was because they hyperventilate every second they are on screen, and they felt it would be difficult to film the movie with real actors doing that during all of shooting without them passing out.

It's just a fun movie to watch. Though I do have to wonder if Nevel (I think that's his name) set the trap up that he got caught in, or if the critters did. They never showed him move 'Fred', so I honestly have to think part of why he flipped out was that the critters moved fred to lure him to a trap, and the guy flipped out because he has gone three years with nothing but the family dog to talk to so he has lost his lill mind.

Maybe they'll answer that in the director's commentary on the DVD?

Tonysmo
12-31-2007, 01:24 AM
I'll assume from what I've heard from the book, is that the darkseekers were actually semi intelligent - and they set the trap. The main zombie/vampire/darkseeker seemed to have an agenda to kill Nevel.

The dog scene was made me shudder. *dog lover*

I thought the ending sucked balls.

The mist ending sucked even worse. not a totally bad movie., just a really bad ending..

darthvyn
01-02-2008, 02:47 PM
i saw it last week and thought it was freakin' awesome. the suspense was well done and the slow yet deliberate introduction to what was lurking in the dark was excellent. i can understand some of the complaints about the effects, but i wasn't too bothered by them. i didn't think the ending was bad by any means.

it's been out for a bit, but

*SPOILERS*

as for the cure at the end, the blood was from the female "darkseeker" that he was treating. assuming it contained a stronger version of the vaccine than neville posessed, where he had to slowly bring down the body temperature of the victim, it could be "weaponized" into a dart-gun delivery system and administered from afar that way. even if it wan't stronger, it at least was a jumping-on point for the scientists in the compound to work off of.

*/SPOILERS

BanthaPoodoo
01-02-2008, 03:16 PM
saw it tonight and thought it was pure crap. The best scenes were definately in the first portion of the film with neville and Sam (including the obvious sad scene), but there were too many plot holes and things that were contrived and silly. Main arguments:

- Also felt the woman and her son were not done right. There is little sense that they could survive on their own, but they are able to not only get from South America to New York, but also from NY to Vermont without problems? Lame.

Its fairly obvious the creatures are humans. Theres no need to go into great detail about that, it said as much in the movie. As to why they don't like light, it was inferred in the movie as to why the UV light was not liked by them. IIRC they said something about rabies or something but it had to do with that. Been a while since I saw it & didnt pay that much attention to it.

As for the lady going from South America, I must have heard it wrong because I thought she said they came from Maryland, Connecticut, something like that, not South America. So its entirely plausible that if they drove in the daytime, they could get from Maryland to NYC and then from NYC to Vermont.

What I think people should really ask is how she would get to Long Island in the first place when all the bridges & tunnels connected to NYC were destroyed.

I don't think they mentioned a boat (if they did I missed it), which would be plausible, but if she did have a boat, where did she then get the 4x4 that she drove to Vermont? I understood it that she rescued Will in her 4x4 & drove him back to his place, but that then brings up the whole scenario of how she got her 4x4 first onto Long Island, & then back off again to go to Vermont.

Forgiving that though I thought the movie was a well paced 2 hours worth & would recommend it to any & everyone. :thumbsup:

Vi Cit Tecum
01-02-2008, 03:38 PM
I thought the movie in its self was a decent movie, but relating to the book the ending sucked and totally ruined the point/title of the book.

!!!!!!!!!!BOOK SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In the book he spent alot of his time hunting the vampires, he finds the girls and she joins him(dont remember the finer points since it was about 16years ago I read it.) The girl ends up being one of the vampires, she was sent to infiltrate him(up until that point you were led to believe they were mindless) He was then captured by the vampires. He was sitting in a cell waiting for his "trial" looking out at the hordes of vampires that were scared of him. He realized that he was the thing that went bump in the night (day). They would be telling stories about him as a monster. He was the last man alive. he was legend.

END OF SPOILER

That is why I hated the ending it changed the meaning of the title.

BountyHunterScum
01-05-2008, 10:56 AM
well, which ones are you referring to, cap'n? Cos if you're referring to "The Omega Man" or "the last man on earth" (i believe is the title?) that's because they're all based off the same novel from Richard Matheson; all three are adaptations. :thumbsup:

It's an obvious ripoff of The Omega Man. Thats hollywood, tinker with something until its in pieces.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-05-2008, 12:23 PM
It's an obvious ripoff of The Omega Man. Thats hollywood, tinker with something until its in pieces.

Dude, you're not listening: Omega Man and I am Legend are BOTH based off the same novel. It's not a ripoff as it's just another remake of Matheson's book.

Posted by MSP:
I also believe that Darkseekers was Ana's term for the infected people.

I might be wrong, but I remember Ana and Neville talking about darkseekers as survivors/immune who went out and then eventually had to resort to cannibalism. I thought they were hunters of the creatures who eventually died.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-05-2008, 03:56 PM
I might be wrong, but I remember Ana and Neville talking about darkseekers as survivors/immune who went out and then eventually had to resort to cannibalism. I thought they were hunters of the creatures who eventually died.You could be right, I might not have caught all of their dialogue. However, darkseeker seems to fit the fact that the infected don't like the light.

BountyHunterScum
01-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Dude, you're not listening: Omega Man and I am Legend are BOTH based off the same novel. It's not a ripoff as it's just another remake of Matheson's book.

Posted by MSP:

I might be wrong, but I remember Ana and Neville talking about darkseekers as survivors/immune who went out and then eventually had to resort to cannibalism. I thought they were hunters of the creatures who eventually died.

They need to stop remaking the novel already.

vader121
01-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I saw this finally over the weekend. I thought it was ok. Not bad, just ok.

There are a lot of questions that may be answered in the future Directors Cut or Special Edition.

A few more questions/points to noodle on ...

-The Darkseekers/Zombies have several displays of intelligence
-One Zombie had the 3 infected dogs attack and they were leashed
-One Zombie was opening the ceiling in the top of the building to seemingly allow his pals to get in the building
-I think the Zombies set the trap themselves and used 'Fred' as bait

-I thought it was cool that he captured a female zombie. Normally when you think of Zombies you think of male.

-What I'd like to know is if the cure works to what point does it work? Do they eventually grow hair and become normal again or are they physically scarred?

-Why was the power and water still on? I mean for the possible survivors or they forgot? It seems to me that these would have been switched off. Also, if the power was still on then wouldn't street lights, etc. still work?

-The only time I saw the Zombies panting was when he had the female on the table. Didn't see them when he found the 'hive' and they didn't seem to be panting when they attacked him at the pier. Seemed relatively calm. Also how did that work. He obviously put a dummy in the seat but did he sprinkly blood on it to lure them there or what (another question)?

-Why is it animals are immune to it?

Anyway, I thought it was ok. Would probably see it again.