PDA

View Full Version : Obi-Wan Jedi Starfighter with Hyperspace Ring

K M Toydarian
12-15-2007, 02:37 PM
Found this Friday thanks to someone's post in Glendale CA.
I had a $25 giftcard from buying Mario Galaxy Wii, so I thought I'd splurge. Although 29.99 was a better price. I don't like TRU's practice of raising prices ala Y wing, etc. Not that long ago they went bankrupt and closed a bunch of stores. You'd think they would want to sell product and be competitive.
Oh well, enough rant.
The box is 1 inch taller and 3 inches wider than the regular ships and the same width.
Although the Starfighter fits the standard box (Kit Fisto), I don't think there would be enough room for the ring.
I was hoping this would be released in a regular assortment reapainted, but the box would be different. It may fit in a box like Darth's Tie fighter though, which is deeper than the regular box. We'll see.
There is a "display stand", but I almost threw it away. It is a clear molded piece of flimsy plastic (figure bubble quality) that has Star Wars molded on it. It holds the back end, while the ring rests on the ground. It is not quite tall enough though (1/2" too short).
Still a cool toy, but not 35 dollars cool.

JediTricks
12-15-2007, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the photos, that looks alright. The little stand may be cheap plastic, but it's cool they threw it in, gives it a "flying" look and makes it displayable since it wouldn't be without it.

The designers had 1 caveat when making this thing, the JSF had to be able to fit THROUGH the ring the way it does in the movie. Looks like they pushed that to the edge. ;)

K M Toydarian
12-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah, it's definitely not designed for the novice pilot, the ship just barley makes it through the ring.
You do have to be careful not to throw the stand away with the packaging. It could be an inch or 2 taller as well. It's not a snug fit either, it really barely balances in the groove of the stand.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I didn't think this would be out for about another month. Looks pretty good, though.

VidKidd
12-16-2007, 01:17 AM
i actually saw i think 2 or 3 at my local tru last night. Looks cool, but passed on it sense i was buying like 16 figures or so. Didnt wanna spend all my extra money all at once.

Tycho
12-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Can you pour drinks from that ship stand? This would be an excellent opportunity to have Hasbro make a Star Wars wine glass! :drunk:

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 06:52 PM
To be honest, I was hoping this would be about 20% bigger. I look at the Titanium Series version and it's nearly perfect because it's so big. This is a runt by comparison and just not as easy to get excited about. I may buy it if it looks appealing in person and I can't find any other SW to get at the time, but I haven't rushed out and bought it since I saw this thread, that's for sure.

BTW Toydarian, I just noticed, the ring is attached upside-down on your last photo, the open end of the clamps goes on the underside of the ship, not the top. You're in good company though, Hasbro did the same thing in their display at Celebration IV this summer, I had to point it out to them so they could go fix it.

DarthBrandon
12-16-2007, 07:05 PM
This looks nice, but I like the newer style Jedi Starfighters the best. I hope they come out with one for those as well.

K M Toydarian
12-17-2007, 02:19 AM
BTW Toydarian, I just noticed, the ring is attached upside-down on your last photo, the open end of the clamps goes on the underside of the ship, not the top. You're in good company though, Hasbro did the same thing in their display at Celebration IV this summer, I had to point it out to them so they could go fix it.

Thanks JediTricks, I hadn't even noticed. When I set it up, it was about 3 in the morning. I think I looked at one of the box pics showing the ring "clamps" and didn't register the fact it was showing the bottom of the ship. Fits much better now! :thumbsup:
Still a pain to balance on that stand though.

Can you pour drinks from that ship stand? This would be an excellent opportunity to have Hasbro make a Star Wars wine glass! :drunk:
I think that is the best solution! Starfighter in one hand, glass of merlot in the other. I've always wanted an excuse to get these...
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/gadgets/star-wars-pewter-bar-tools-set-167147.php

Tycho
12-17-2007, 08:08 AM
I think that is the best solution! Starfighter in one hand, glass of merlot in the other. I've always wanted an excuse to get these...

Hahahaha. That is priceless! Too funny. And it's real, right?

Bar
12-18-2007, 08:38 AM
Hey guys.
New member here.
I did a search for this hyperdrive ring and this was one of the first links that came back.
I am trying to pick some of these up and i'm looking for someone's help to do it. I am in Scotland, and it may be some time before this become available here.
I realise i am an unknown quantity here, but i am a regular poster over on StarShipModeler, and i am a moderator on Resin illuminati, and i have a 100% positive feedback rating on EBAY for 244 seperate transactions(I can show links my user info on request).
I'd be willing to pay any and all costs incurred in the purchase/shipping/time involved for anyone who can procure me one(Or preferably two) of the said item.
I am making a 1/24 scale Jedi Starfighter model(It's a good bit smaller than the Hasbro 1/18 JS), and i think the hyperdrive ring would be perfectly sized for this purpose.
I would have posted images of the build next to the Hasbro JS, but the site will not let me do so till i have posted 10 times, and i don't want to make 10 spam posts just for their own sake!
If this post is inappropriate, i apologise.
I am just desperate to get two of these.
I'd love to see more pics if anyone else has one.
If anyone is interested at all, please feel free to drop me an e-mail and we can discuss it.
Bar.

JediTricks
12-20-2007, 05:23 AM
Thanks JediTricks, I hadn't even noticed. When I set it up, it was about 3 in the morning. I think I looked at one of the box pics showing the ring "clamps" and didn't register the fact it was showing the bottom of the ship. Fits much better now! :thumbsup:Sure thing! I saw the photo you mean, can see why a bleary eye would miss that.

At those prices, there's NO excuse. ;)

Bar
12-29-2007, 03:56 PM
I wonder if i might ask one of you guys a favour?
Could someone here who has one of these please take some measurements for me?
I need the diameter of the engine drive pod(The outer measurement), the distance between the drive pods(The inside measurement from pod to pod)and the diameter of the main ring itself.
I thank anyone who can take the time to give me those measurements in advance.
Bar.

K M Toydarian
01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
I wonder if i might ask one of you guys a favour?
Could someone here who has one of these please take some measurements for me?
I need the diameter of the engine drive pod(The outer measurement), the distance between the drive pods(The inside measurement from pod to pod)and the diameter of the main ring itself.
I thank anyone who can take the time to give me those measurements in advance.
Bar.

...PM sent

Bar
01-03-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks dude!
Bar.

jedi master sal
01-04-2008, 01:48 AM
Picked this up tonight!

Sweet! Should have been bigger for the price, but the sculpt otherwise is great.

One MAJOR thing to note. Once you put the ring together that's it. You can't take it apart (unless you possibly unscrew it, but there is an internal mechnism, so be CAREFUL).

So unless you are ready to have the ring assembled, DON'T put it together...

I wanted to see how it would look. Once I put in one side I knew there was no turning back and couldn't get it back in the box, so I had to complete building it.

I really wish Hasbro would have found a way to make this available by itself, but understand why they didn't.

I don't ever expect them to revisit this for the size issue, so get it when you see it, as you may never see it again (unless they decide to do repaints...). In that case though, I'll pass. I have no need for repaints of this ring.

Now if they do the blue 3 engine one from ROTS, then most certainly, I'll buy that one as it was seen in the movie.

JediTricks
01-04-2008, 06:13 AM
I changed that post from "can take it apart" to "can't" since it seemed to be saying the opposite.

I'm surprised about that, generally their builds lately have been rounded pegs that with a little effort pop back out. That kinda will make me even less likely to get it now since I don't really have display space for it.

jedi master sal
01-04-2008, 09:04 AM
That's what I meant JT. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bar
01-04-2008, 09:06 AM
So what exactly is the issue?
Is it a connection system which will break the toy if you try to take it apart?
Bar.

jedi master sal
01-04-2008, 02:39 PM
So what exactly is the issue?
Is it a connection system which will break the toy if you try to take it apart?
Bar.

Well, I didn't try to pull it apart too hard when it wouldn't come out easily, so yeah, I'd say that's the problem.

The circular parts fit as a tongue and groove sort of joint, with the tongue of the circular part going into the engine groove thereby locking it into place. It's not easy to press against it to release the tongue. At least not for me as I didn't want to try too hard and break it. There are screws on the underside of the engine/bridge assembly that might allow you to take it apart, thereby removing the circular parts. However there is a lock-in assembly in the bridge part that locks the starfighter into place. Unscrewing this part of the ring may damage that assembly, so do so at your own risk. I'm not taking any chances (unless someone else wants to post a detailed (with pictures) tutorial...lol

-Sal

Bar
01-04-2008, 04:02 PM
I see.
Thanks for the clarification.
Bar.

jedibear
01-06-2008, 12:08 AM
Picked this up myself today....I think it's pretty cool. It's another one of those items I frankly never expected to see Hasbro tackle. Granted, it's not quite the right size, but after years of vehicles that are "compromised" in their size to make them into toys, that doesn't really bother me if it is executed well...and this is.

I'm surprised this ended up as an exclusive, but at least it is a retailer that most of us can get to. I see at least 4 re-releases/repaints of this in the future: a Plo Koon, Saesee Tinn , Kit Fisto and Aayla Secura versions will likely hit soemwhere down the line (look how many repaints we've had of the ROTS-style jedi fighters!)

And I'm with Sal...I'd love to see the ROTS three-engine version of this someday too...

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 07:17 PM
If I ever find one for under $30, I'll buy it and give disassembly a try.

jedi master sal
01-07-2008, 12:34 PM
If I ever find one for under $30, I'll buy it and give disassembly a try.

Cool if you do, please take pics along the way. For good or ill, it would be helpful to see the process as you go.

decadentdave
01-15-2008, 05:00 AM
Man that display stand is a joke. I was thinking it was going to be a clear acrylic model stand and for the price it should be. What's with these overpriced TRU exclusives feeling CHEAP. And what's with Hasblo DOWNSIZING the scale of all of their vehicles? First we got the Sith Infiltrator and now we have an undersized hyperspace ring for the Obi-Starfighter that feels like a glorified Mini-Rig.

jedi master sal
01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
Man that display stand is a joke. I was thinking it was going to be a clear acrylic model stand and for the price it should be. What's with these overpriced TRU exclusives feeling CHEAP. And what's with Hasblo DOWNSIZING the scale of all of their vehicles? First we got the Sith Infiltrator and now we have an undersized hyperspace ring for the Obi-Starfighter that feels like a glorified Mini-Rig.

I'll agree that the stand is way cheap, but the ring is fine. Yes, it could have been bigger, but the sculpt is excellent. It's FAR from being a mini-rig. The ring/Obi's ship is MUCH better, IMO. Have you seriously compared them?

Bar
01-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey guys! I have been able to procure a copy of this and it's winging it's way to me right now.
With any luck i will have it in the next few days and i can post pics of my JS and the ring to see if they do indeed match.
I hope to have made more than ten posts by then too, so i can post pics...(If anyone is interested in seeing them).
Bar.

decadentdave
01-15-2008, 12:50 PM
The hyperspace ring should be twice as big. It's only about half scale. And for the price they should have thrown in Pilot Obi-Wan just to sweeten the deal. It's not worth $35. $20, maybe, but definitely not $35.

jedi master sal
01-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Personally, I'd like to see this come out as an expansion exclusive set. That didn't happen. Consequently these aren't moving off the shelf as fast as I thought they would.

The price is a killer too. A $20 vehicle with a $5 maybe $10 accessory and no fig? this would have been a great opportunity to include an SA AOTC Obi. That would have made this totally worth $35.

Bar
01-15-2008, 04:07 PM
First of all, let me preface this message by saying this is not an attack on anyone here...
You guys have NO IDEA how lucky you are.
The JS and hyperdrive ring i just picked up cost me 30. That's right... 30(That's $60 to you guys in the US).
I honestly can't believe you see these products as expensive.
If you all keep waiting for these items to come down in price(Or indeed not buy them at all), it will influence the makers future product decisions.
I have seen this item in want lists for many a year, and now they have brough it out, few people want to know(I fully appreciate the fact that it is not to scale, although i KNOW the claims above that it's half scale are incorrect).
Once again, this is not an attack, not singling out anyone, and i dearly hope no one takes offense.
Bar.

decadentdave
01-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Well then it doubly sucks to be you! I wouldn't pay $60 for this! Point is, Hasbro has been coming in short on the vehicles lately. Sith Infiltrator was not only disappointing, but insulting and the expectations for the JS came up short as well. If they are going to make it, do it right! I'd pay $60 U.S. dollars for a correctly scaled hyperdrive ring ALONE! This just looks like an afterbirth... er, uh, afterthought. In fact, I'd love to see add-on expansion kits for other vehicles too.

Sad thing is, Sith Infiltrator sucked so badly that it didn't sell very well. Target had these on clearance. Who's going to buy a toy that disappoints on all levels? Certainly not the collectors. And Hasbro just keeps pumping out endless JS repaints. No more. I don't care about an Aayla Secura hot pink starfighter that wasn't in the movie! Just give me a damn TWIN POD CLOUD CAR ALREADY!!! (But somehow you know they'll just mess that one up too.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-15-2008, 05:35 PM
I got this yesterday and I'm quite impressed. Even if it is too small, it looks really good.

Bar
01-15-2008, 05:58 PM
Do you want to do me favour dude, and measure the diameter of the engine itself?(The engine booster, of which there are two on the ring)
If i have that measurement, i can tell exactly what scale the ring is...
Bar.

Bar
01-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Well then it doubly sucks to be you! I wouldn't pay $60 for this! Point is, Hasbro has been coming in short on the vehicles lately. Sith Infiltrator was not only disappointing, but insulting and the expectations for the JS came up short as well. If they are going to make it, do it right! I'd pay $60 U.S. dollars for a correctly scaled hyperdrive ring ALONE!
Like this?:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/jspiecesalltogether.jpg
Oh and now i can post links, here are some images of the JS i am working on in 1/24(With the Hasbro version to show the difference in size):

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterComparisonImages1.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterComparisonImages2.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterComparisonImages3.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/JediStarfighterComparisonImages5.jpg

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/All_the_good_usernames_are_taken/Model%20stuff%20Misc/CIMG0544-1.jpg

I am really hoping that the ring will prove to be close to 1/24 so i can use it for this fighter.
Bar.

decadentdave
01-16-2008, 04:27 AM
Nice. And that just shows how off it is. All they had to do was make the diameter of the ring and engines another inch or two bigger and it would have looked more proportionately scaled.

jediguy
01-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I got this last week, and I am frankly underwhelmed
it looks OK, but the price was way too high for a ship I have 3 of now (the original release, the KB exclusive that came with Obi ) and now this one
the ring is a nice new thing, but the size is a bit small and you can't take it off once you put it on

what a shame Hasbro couldn't have sold it separately, so that we could customize the ring for all of our other 20 repaints of this ship

that crappy little stand does nothing to hold it up for display
the breeze you make walking past is all it takes for it to fall over

considering the price tag, this ship should have come with the pilot figure
the pegs in my area are clogged with the Saga Legends Obi Wan pilot
I bought the figure from the ROTS line but never opened it because I already had so many Obi Wans on the shelves already
maybe that is why Ewan McGregor said he disliked his role in star wars?
because he sees the pegs full of his unsold likeness?

Jedi_Kal-El
01-19-2008, 06:16 PM
I picked mine up today, and while it's not exactly to scale it's not bad. Heck, how many vehicles in the line are actually to scale? I agree that a pack-in Obi would have made this more worth the price, but since I had to give up my first one a while back, it was a justified purchase. My biggest gripe aside from no pack-in is the lack of weathering that was on previous releases of Obi's ship.

I do have to say that if they ever plan to relrease the other Jedi fighters with the ring I will pass since I have these ships already, unless Hasbro decides to offer them seperatly or as a mail-in, but I'm not gonna hold my breath on that.

Bar
09-16-2009, 03:51 AM
Hey guys!
Sorry for the necro post in this thread, but i am wondering if anyone has the hyperdrive ring and doesn't want it anymore?
I am desperate to pick one up and i can't find them anywhere!!!
I'd be willing to straight up buy it, or i might have something MIB that someone here might need(I have STACKS of the ROTS Jedi Starfighters. Anakin yellow, Obi-Wan red and Obi-Wan blue/grey, plus plo Koon Delta-7).
I need this for a project i am doing and would appreciate any help anyone could give me.
Thanks!

alantyc
05-12-2011, 04:53 AM
So did anyone manage to disassemble the ring yet? I've assembled mine but now need to disassemble it for the sake of more display space.. :)

Bar
05-12-2011, 09:05 AM
So did anyone manage to disassemble the ring yet? I've assembled mine but now need to disassemble it for the sake of more display space.. :)

Sure. The tabs are solid and near impossicle to remove as they are.
But... They are just semi solid plastic and, as such, you can warm them up with a hair drier until they pop out with a little pressure. Just point the hair drier at the joint where the ring meets the engines.