PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of TAC - wave 6

JediTricks
12-15-2007, 01:39 PM
Continuing with our "best figure of 2007" poll series...

Which figure do you consider the best from TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) basic wave 6?

Remember, you can use whatever criteria you wish, it's entirely up to you. Maybe you just like the coin, or you were glad to find it, or its articulation was perfect, or you found one painted flawlessly. Whatever makes it the best in your book is fair game.

When we get to the end of the line, we'll put the winners up against each other.

And if you haven't voted in the Wave 5 poll (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36728) yet, it'll be open until the 15th.

Kidhuman
12-15-2007, 01:47 PM
McSnowjob here, best of the bunch. 4-LOM could have been but mine has the gimp syndrome.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-15-2007, 02:02 PM
4-lom, just because it's the 4-lom i've always wanted. Mc Snowie is cool as well, but not as cool as SA Lom. Han Torture rack is great for building carbonite scenes around, Lando would have gotten my vote (Just because i have always wanted this figure but he had a lot of flaws.) The Good Mc. General is cool looking but i've yet to find this one so i can't say anything good or bad about him.

jedi master sal
12-15-2007, 02:56 PM
4-LOM is a decent figure, but my pick was for McSnowie. Great version of the trooper and fits in fairly well with the other troops, with exception to the very round helmet. Still, I'm going to use a couple a cold weather gear AT-ST drivers.

It's still early in this poll, but I think the McSnowie is going to win this one, with 4-LOM coming right behind him.

Tycho
12-15-2007, 03:06 PM
Lando Calrissian in Smuggler Attire gets my vote.

Another SSG Figure-Never-Made-Before Poll winner, as was torture rack Han. Both are less than satisfying.

Han's accessory was almost awesome, but not quite authentic so that it looked wicked enough. Meanwhile, who mis-proportioned his lower body to his upper body? That figure looks horrible outside of the torture device!

Meanwhile, Lando should have had a separate vest that could be removed. Not that you'd display him that way, but the added piece would increase the value you get with this figure. What's more - Hasbro already had a mold from the oft-re-released CommTech Cantina Han figure. The painted-on vest Lando is wearing makes him look pot-bellied. Yeah, he's smuggling something alright: like the Thanksgiving turkey in his stomach.

4-LOM and General McQuarrie were not figures I was asking for. I don't need an articulated 4-LOM. My use for him is just to stand there in a diorama. I didn't buy him. I also didn't buy McQuarrie. Rieeken is the general in command of the Rebels at Hoth. How many commanding officers do they need? I never saw him in the movie either (presumably he was on the set?) so I didn't buy this figure either.

The McQuarrie Snowtrooper is one of the lamest figures everyone else here seems to like. I even bought one I came across for someone else here that I trade with. I hope I passed it on with the minimal amount of impolite judgement I made regarding their taste. :rolleyes: Some designs are worse than others, but unfortunately, the McSnowie is NOT actually as bad as it gets.

I think Wave 6 was about as worse as it gets as there are no figures that can totally redeem this wave and make me feel like my trip to the store was worth the gas I spent driving there. I only bought Han and Lando, but they both could have been so much better than they were!

Deoxyribonucleic
12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
4-LOM!! With an extreeeeemely close 2nd being McSnowie.

My criteria when it comes so close: I'm going to go with characters that were actually IN the movies. Besides, that POTF2 4-LOM was hideous! Looks like it was about to get a gyno exam with it's wide-stance legs. And this updated 'LOM truly could have been carded on the VTAC and passed with flying colors!!

El Chuxter
12-15-2007, 03:51 PM
How long's this good for? I haven't seen Snowy yet.

jediguy
12-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I voted for McSnowtrooper
General McPharl was close, as was Smuggler Lando
both could have been better
the torture accessory with horrible Han was pretty cool, and a good deal for the price
but that Han is one of the worst made yet
I wanted an updated 4-LOM, but I wasn't as impressed with this one as I thought I would be, altho I am glad the Larry Craig stance is gone
I guess I was hoping that all new protocol droids would have the same knee articulation as Endor C-3PO
the tooling is there, and I don't see any reason not to include it, even for TC-14 and RA-7

McSnowtrooper all the way!

sebillba
12-15-2007, 06:02 PM
After the last wave, this one is pretty uninspiring. I haven't actually seen any of them up close yet, but they're all waiting for me under the Christmas tree. I'm probably most looking forward to Han and torture rack, but that's more for the accessory than the figure. The most interesting figure is probably McSnowie, so that gets my vote.... even though it reminds me of a duck. 4-LOM is a close 2nd.

JediTricks
12-15-2007, 06:24 PM
This was a really weak assortment, 4-LOM was the best of the regular figures but still a little plain and under-detailed. That only leaves the Concept figure, which I don't have, but can see has to be better than what I do.

Battle Droid
12-15-2007, 06:25 PM
I only have Han Solo, so I don't think I'll vote.

Kidhuman
12-15-2007, 06:27 PM
How long's this good for? I haven't seen Snowy yet.

Since I am sending you one, vote for it on my word alone. Best of this wave, trust me and the Ox and the others.

El Chuxter
12-15-2007, 06:39 PM
That reminds me, Ox, I've gotten the McSnowie taken care of. :)

jamesbondo07
12-15-2007, 08:09 PM
I voted for the Mcquarrie Snowtrooper. I really enjoyed the mcquarrie series this year. It was just different enough to keep me looking forward to each one but still stayed fairly true to the series.

bigbarada
12-15-2007, 08:29 PM
It's the concept Snowtrooper for me. I love the figure, one of the coolest and quirkiest of the McQuarrie line. Plus, I really dig the grungy, WW2 feel of the card image.

As for the regular figures, this turned out to be the disappointment of the year. Who would have imagined that a wave including a Torture Rack Han Solo, Smuggler Lando and an update of one of the ESB bounty hunters would be in the running for worst wave of the year?

I had high hopes for 4-LOM, but early prototype shots started to make me a little worried. He looked like a drab, under-detailed dud based on the hi-res images earlier in the year, and that's what he turned out to be.

I wish Hasbro hadn't even bothered to make Torture Rack Han and Smuggler Lando this year. They should have saved them for when they have less on their plate. This was the one chance to do them well and we're never going to see another version of either of them.:(

General McQuarrie, I have nothing good to say about this figure. But I don't have anything bad to say about it either. It's just.... meh.

TheRealDubya
12-15-2007, 08:51 PM
McSnowie rules. Big B has it -- the WWII vibe kicks tail. One of the best rifles to ever come with a SW figure.

jedibear
12-15-2007, 08:54 PM
While this wave had the bad fortune to follow the amazing wave 5, it had a couple of really bright moments...

My vote went for the McQuarrie Snow Trooper...I like what bigbarada commented on the WWll vibe to it...so true...it's really cool. I actually like this design better than what we ended up with in the film.

I liked 4-Lom too....he got a lot of grief from folks, but mine was pretty decent and looks good with the premium Bossk and IG-88 from the V-line...

General Pharl McQuarrie was okay for a cobbled together effort, and while I'm glad to see it on a card, I think it might have been a better choice as an exclusive extra figure with that box set of McQuarrie figures you know is coming someday... :)

Han/Torture Rack...like Diaper Luke a few years back was another figure I was surprised got made...a very movie-specific moment figure that added a little spice to the assortment...and finally, Lando/Smuggler...what else could they do with Lando that hadn't been done before?

figrin bran
12-15-2007, 09:11 PM
4-LOM!! With an extreeeeemely close 2nd being McSnowie.

My criteria when it comes so close: I'm going to go with characters that were actually IN the movies. Besides, that POTF2 4-LOM was hideous! Looks like it was about to get a gyno exam with it's wide-stance legs. And this updated 'LOM truly could have been carded on the VTAC and passed with flying colors!!

Ha!!! I'm never going to look at POTF2 LOM the same way again.

I voted for 4-LOM as well. The ESB bounty hunters have always been among my favorite characters and so that weighs into my ranking it slightly above McSnowie which is also a superb figure.

Jaff
12-15-2007, 11:05 PM
I had been waiting for Han with torture rack and Lando in smuggler gear for years. Lando was a big dissapointment (wrong color tunic), but Han did not dissapoint. In this wave Han and 4-LOM tie, because I'm a big 4-LOM fan. The concept snowie is very cool, but the mcquarie figs are really fad-ish right now, and in the test of time my real interest is in the films and completing my collection. The concept figs are a nice side item to me, but not as desirable as the film figs, thus my vote is partially bias.

#1 Han Solo torture rack
#2 4-LOM
#3 Concept Snowie
#4 General McQuarie
#5 Lando in Smuggler

VidKidd
12-16-2007, 01:18 AM
Concept Snowtrooper

dindae
12-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Han Solo (torture rack) - I would have preferred a screaming head sculpt but other than that I don't have a problem with it.

Lando Calrissian - I was never gun ho about the figure so I wasn't disappointed be the slight flaws.

General Pharl McQuarrie (Hoth) - Cool to get another rebel officer and I think it was a cool addition with the McQuarrie theme this year

4-LOM - this got my vote. It is all I will ever need from a 4-Lom fig.

Concept Snowtrooper - I liked this figure but it isn't one that I got excited about. Of the concept figures it is probably the second to last of the figures I wanted to see second to the McRebel.

Ji'dai
12-16-2007, 05:16 PM
I voted for the Concept Snowtrooper. Loved this figure for many of the same reasons already posted. I haven't bought multiples of army builders in a long time and this figure reversed that trend. I was able to contain myself to twelve of them though.

I bought all the figures in this wave initially, but returned 4-LOM due to quality issues. I actually like the POTF2 version and think a SA resculpt was unneccessary.

Torture Rack Han has it's faults but it's something I never thought we'd get. I would've preferred a screaming Han as pictured on the cardback.

Disco Lando looked like Hasbro phoned him in. McQuarrie is useful for background fodder in a Hoth display.

Snowtrooper
12-16-2007, 07:15 PM
McQuarrie Snowtrooper wins on coolness factor alone. But I guess I'm inclined to like this one since its my favorite type of trooper. The sculpt Hasbro made for this figure is great. I like how they made the backpack and the helmet figure look. The removeable facemask is nice, though it looks better with it on IMO. And best of all, it was relatively easy to find, so I was able to army build a bit with is.

Some of you mentioned that there is something WWIIish about it. I guess when I look at it, I think there is something very cold war era about it, especially with the rifle in hand since it looks alot like the M14 which was used during the 50's and early 60's.

Best to worst:
1. McQuarrie Snowtrooper
2. 4-LOM-A huge improvement over the POTF2 version. I just with it had a more rusty look to it like the POTF2 one.
3. Han Solo-The rack is the only reason to buy this. Disappointing since we could have gotten a definitive Bespin Han with this.
4. Lando Calrissian-Not a version I was dying for, but still a nice addition. It needed ball jointed elbows.
5. General Pharl McQuarrie-I guess its nice to have another rebel officer, even if he never existed.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 08:21 PM
General McQuarrie is in the movie, that's not a composite photo they have on the card, Ralph McQuarrie really did dress up in Hoth gear and go on the set in front of the camera (he's in the background, I believe). Here's the wookieepedia entry with another shot of Pharl on the set: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pharl_McQuarrie

misosazai7
12-17-2007, 01:11 PM
I generally like the McQuarrie as General, and the 4-LOM is the best of the bunch. I did however vote for the McSnowie because I love the concept line. Even if this individual design is not my favorite, it is very unique and well crafted. Lando was sadly a disappointing figure that I've wanted to see for some time. The figure just falls short on delivering on what seems to be a very simple costume design; the shirt sleeves just seem too Pirates of the Caribbean. It's almost like they reused lobots arms. The Han in Rack is what it is, and he never needs to come out of there really.

Snowtrooper
12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
General McQuarrie is in the movie, that's not a composite photo they have on the card, Ralph McQuarrie really did dress up in Hoth gear and go on the set in front of the camera (he's in the background, I believe). Here's the wookieepedia entry with another shot of Pharl on the set: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Pharl_McQuarrie

Thanks for the info. I always assumed this was a tribute figure since they were doing the whole McQuarrie line this year and that it wasn't actually in the movie. I'll have to see if I can spot him.

JediCole
12-17-2007, 02:22 PM
Having collected since day one (with the original Early Bird Set) I grew up writing incessently to Kenner with suggestions of figures from Star Wars (and later TESB and ROTJ), even sending images cut out of magazines and trading cards to illustrate the figures and playsets I had in mind. When such things were unavailable I would even draw pictures to send with my letters (this is long before email, kids). My older brother gave me no end of grief for suggesting a Bespin Torture Rack accessory (think the Tripod Laser Cannon range). He told me that such a hideous thing would NEVER be marketed as a toy.

The years have passed and times have changed. Kenner dropped their Alien license promptly back in the 70's then years later had a full-scale Aliens license! And so it is little wonder that over 25 years after my brother's pronouncement on the subject of the torture rack that we have such a toy in reality! So it gets my vote.

And not just because of the above. I was impressed with the three-part construction of the rack propper, the addition of the hoses and straps, and the overall attention to detail that went into an accessory that could easily have been glossed over or would have garnered this figure "Deluxe" price point status only a few years ago.

Tycho
12-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Having collected since day one (with the original Early Bird Set) I grew up writing incessently to Kenner with suggestions of figures from Star Wars (and later TESB and ROTJ), even sending images cut out of magazines and trading cards to illustrate the figures and playsets I had in mind. When such things were unavailable I would even draw pictures to send with my letters (this is long before email, kids).

Hehe. I did this myself - even with Hasbro just before I was starting college. I recommended the Heir to the Empire stuff and showed them what a full toy line with figures and vehicles would look like.

The Luke in the comic 2-pack with Mara was something I actually drew a picture of and customized back in the day, as was the Darth Vader Dagobah, which I did in 1996 well before the 2000 POTJ figure. I even showed it to Hasbro (Andy Epenshade at the time) at a Comic Con.

There were other things too. But the AT-AP vehicle has some similarities to the AT-PT vehicle that Han and Luke use as it's described in the 2nd book of the HTTE trilogy by Zhan.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-18-2007, 01:53 AM
The Concept Snowtrooper is the only one I have, and I have an extra one that I was able to open since I'm getting two of the concept figures (I guess three once I get the case from EE). However, I was kind of disappointed in it. I had trouble getting him to stand on his own. I was unable to pose him in a neutral leg stance. It's like one leg is shorter than the other, so that he is meant to be posed like he is on the card.

So, I based my picks on what I saw on the RS archives. If not for the odd torso connection, I might go with Han. Pretty well articulated and has another one of the great TAC pack-ins. Lando is decent, but partly a recycled figure. The General is okay, but limited in articulation compared to the others. So, I went with 4-LOM. A great improvement over the POTF2 version.

plasticfetish
12-18-2007, 03:49 AM
I voted for the concept Snowtrooper. At first I wasn't into the figure at all, but after opening it and playing around with it, it's turning out to be my favorite McQuarrie figure... or one of them. ;)

The rest of the wave is OK. 4-LOM is very good, but I'm one of those "the old one wasn't so bad" people. I could have lived without it. I also think Han was pretty decent for a basic figure. Maybe a deluxe version with light-up torture device would have been cooler. Lando and the General were decent but not vital.

General McQuarrie is in the movie, that's not a composite photo they have on the card, Ralph McQuarrie really did dress up in Hoth gear and go on the set in front of the camera (he's in the background, I believe).[/URL]This is my best guess for "Where's Ralph?" (Crappy screen grab... sorry.)

OC47150
12-18-2007, 07:59 PM
With no doubt, Mcsnowie. Cool figure all around. :thumbsup:

I haven't opened torture Han yet but I plan to. It's a figure that's long overdue.

obi-dad
12-19-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, finally. I have been surprised that my vote matched the top vote everytime, except the first round until now. For some reason I've come to think that my favorites were out of step with most fans, probably because clones are still so popular and I have stopped buying them.

Anyway, this was a tough one for me. I chose Han only for the rack, even though I wasn't going let accessories influence me. Other thing is I haven't opened any of this wave yet and I'm not home to look at them. I guess I'd have to find my potf2 4-lom and open the new one to see the improvements. I'm also of the mind that I didn't really see all that need for a new one (also thinking I'd just use 4-lom in a bounty hounter diorama.

As far as McSnowie, like McChewie, I'm not all that fond of the original artwork, which was faithfully recreated in the figure. But since I'll probably keep all of the McQuarie figures in their original packagin, which I've never done, then I'll probably not appreciate these figures like others do.