PDA

View Full Version : How well did you budget for 2007?

dindae
12-15-2007, 10:31 PM
Kind of a continuation of JT's thread. http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=30529

Personally I blew my budjet by a good $600 and that is after raising it 50%. I'm guessing it was all the exclusives that killed me. It seems strange that two years after the last movie I'm spending more on a line.

stillakid
12-15-2007, 11:51 PM
What's a budget? :D

VidKidd
12-16-2007, 12:13 AM
I usally just get what i want. Most Figures, some battlepacks, whatever ships catch my eye, etc. I dont collect every piece there is, just whatever looks like itd be pefect for the growing collection.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-16-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't really budget, but I keep track of everything I spend and like to compare totals from year to year. I was hoping this year would be less than last year since there were fewer figures in the main line. However, I haven't skipped any, and got some duplicates and some Legends army builders. Plus, some of the bigger things like the TRU exclusive vehicles, the big Target Battle Packs, Comic Packs and a few other multi-figure sets probably added up. Plus, I was probably still getting Saga 2 stuff at the beginning of the year. So far I am still $500 less than the record I spent in 2002, but still $300 more than my second highest yearly total from 2005 (I should say it's third highest now). 2006 was about the same as 2005.

bigbarada
12-16-2007, 01:06 AM
I blew my budget big time this year. Once images started circulating of the figures for the first quarter, I planned to only buy:

vintage:
Bossk
IG-88
Han Hoth
Snowtrooper

TAC:
Umpass Stay
Luke Yavin
Academy Biggs
Death Star Trooper
Han Falcon Gunner

Then once I got word of these figures, I added them to my list:
Hermi Odle
A-Wing Pilot
Ewoks
4-LOM

I didn't plan to buy any of the concept figures but have almost all of them now. I bought about half of wave one, all but one of wave 2, all of waves 3 and 4, the OT figures and Starkiller Hero from wave 5, all of waves 6 and 7. On top of that the entire VTAC collection.. twice over, and scattered Legends figures.

I planned to spend less than $100 this year but ended up spending a few hundred.

Rebo's_Guitarist
12-16-2007, 07:35 AM
Pretty well. After looking at the pics as they were unveiled there were 3-4 figures I wanted from each wave. As I eventually saw them (or most of them) I was not moved enough to actually buy them. The ones I never saw at retail I could really care less about now. The only ones I bought were the McQ's and the Holiday Special Boba Fett, as well as their UGH variants. I seriously doubt I will buy anything in 2008, unless they do OT concepts again, but from the sounds of it I will be saving a lot of money.

bigbarada
12-16-2007, 11:12 AM
Right now, 2008 looks to be very prequel and EU heavy. I have a feeling that it will be easy to keep to my budget. At least for the first quarter, if Hasbro suddenly starts pulling Jabba's Palace aliens and Skiff Guards out of their hat, then I can see my budget being blown big time.

This year the only EU set that I bought was the Luke/Mara Jade set and I regretted it as soon as I opened it and saw just how crappy the Luke figure was. I'm not wasting a single penny more on EU figures.

Which might sound hypocritical because I bought the McQuarrie figs and Animated Boba Fett this year and those could loosely be described as EU; but for me there is a distinction. My distaste for EU material only goes back to 1992 with the publishing of Heir to the Empire, which I believe is the first book in the much-overrated Thrawn trilogy.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Well considering i have not collected since the launch of the AOTC line...my budget was pretty good, but i've spent alot of money buying OTC, Saga 2, and TAC...so i've spent more this year on Star Wars figures than i ever have before. if 2008 is EU heavy then i dread seeing the bill...we just gotta see i suppose, though if alot of the rumors are true then 08 might not be that bad on me, since there will be lots of repacks of TAC i'm sure.

DarthBrandon
12-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Budget went out the window as soon as I seen the new product. I have around 16 regular carded figures left to get & one comic pack this year & I'm done. Next year I have a max of 10 carded figures, 2 or 3 possible comic packs, 2 or 3 evolutions, 3 to five vehicles (depending on AT-TE or not) & some misc items & then I'm done for the year. 2008 will be 5 or 6 hundred max as I'm going to the Grand Caymans in April & at the end of Aug we are building a new house. Ouch it's going to be a tight year.

JediTricks
12-16-2007, 06:05 PM
I didn't budget, my thinking was to buy ONLY what I liked, and only minimal of that. Unfortunately, I went a little beyond that, bought a few duplicates, a few Saga Legends, and a few figs that weren't really worth buying. So, pretty much SOP. ;)

evenflow
12-16-2007, 07:33 PM
I dont budget, i spend way too much to attempt that.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-16-2007, 07:46 PM
I dont budget, i spend way too much to attempt that.Just increase the budget. That's what congress does. Then if you don't spend that much, you can call it a cut, even if it is more than last year.

Snowtrooper
12-16-2007, 08:47 PM
I went into the TAC line with good intentions of cutting back my spending. But my army building annihilated my budget and I ended up spending more then I did last year.

Old Fossil
12-16-2007, 09:04 PM
I have no real idea how much I've spent in 2007, and I honestly don't want to know... maybe around $800. Ouch. I don't budget for SW, though I probably should. I bought when I had the money to do it; when I didn't have the money, I didn't buy.

Okay, that's a lie. I bought quite a bit on credit. Not the best scenario, but otherwise I'd still be looking for certain McFigures and other TAC jewels.

'08 was looking to be a lot leaner year for me, but if that rumored Millenium Falcon that holds 20 figures comes to fruition, it's gonna be a different story.

stillakid
12-16-2007, 09:07 PM
but if that rumored Millenium Falcon that holds 20 figures comes to fruition, it's gonna be a different story.

Really!? That would be pretty cool. :thumbsup: Where'd you hear that?

jedi master sal
12-17-2007, 09:15 AM
Well my budget was supposed to be $4K this year, but I know I went WAY over that. I don't have actual numbers just yet as I will compile that during the Christmas break to determine my SW budget for 2008.

However, I can reasonably estimate that I spent $5500 to $6000 this year. What's crazy about this is that I actually PASSED on some stuff this year. It was a few army builders that kicked it up a notch for me though. The Kashyyyk clone and AOTC clone and some others to a lesser degree really cut into the budget. Troops alone I spent easily $1K on.

Now while I do plan on only building troops to a squad level (5 figures) there are two in 2008 that I will build up big, that being the correct Kashyyyk clone and the SA 501st (if truly being made).

It's going to be vehicles next year that will kill my budget though. The AT-TE promises to take a nice chunk. If they make the Homing Spider droid, then that to will sap some fundage. I've already got plans to buy 3 AT-APs among other vehicles.

Hmm, while we thought 2007 was a banner year for new and obscure figures (background as well as McQuarrie), I see 2008 as being the year of vehicles (and to a lesser degree "the Force Unleashed" and "Clone Wars").

If my estimate is correct and I spent $6k, then my budget will be $3k for 2008. However I see me spending more than that already (one-third of that just in vehicles alone).

Ji'dai
12-20-2007, 08:21 AM
I've never kept a toy budget since I'm pretty miserly with my scratch. I do keep track of my expenditures though.

This year to date, I've spent $544 on Hasbro Star Wars product. I bought basic figures and comic packs.

==>In 2006, I spent $129 on Hasbro Star Wars product. I bought basic figures and 3" Titaniums.

This year to date, I spent $365 on 8 different LEGO Star Wars sets.

==>In 2006, I spent $80 on LEGO. That was mostly clearance buys on Batman and Star Wars.

waboritas
12-20-2007, 09:44 AM
I really don't want to know, but know I spent a lot more than I thought I would. I bought a lot of the Master Replicas .45 scale on clearance. I am going to attempt to figure this out over the holidays as it is a pretty decent chunk of change that could be better used buying a bigger house to store/display it all.

TheRealDubya
12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
I actually came in about $200 under budget, then used that money to buy the UGHs and an extra Holiday Fett and CZ-4.

Mvader91
12-20-2007, 05:26 PM
This year I spent around 3350 due to sealed and loose, gold sealed and loose and extra set of McFiggs. Lots of cool exclusives.