PDA

View Full Version : Dear George Lucas

stillakid
12-16-2007, 08:52 AM
(There is a "Dear Hasbro" thread, but no "Dear Lucas" so I thought I'd make a de facto one here)

So, Dear George Lucas,

You've frequently spoken about how you'd like to improve the system of education in our schools. Over the years, you've helped to integrate some learning tools with your Lucasfilm division, LucasLearning. The newest Star Wars Insider even has an article which highlights some very early attempts to help kids with reading comprehension using Star Wars as a foundation.

I'd like to suggest a very new, innovative, and bold idea. Look, whether you'd like to publicly admit it or not, the fact is that the Prequels just didn't work. Sure, they look good, but so much of the basic storyline falls apart and doesn't mesh well with the original trilogy films. Much of the dialogue is really painful to listen to. Of course the films have a few defenders lurking about, fans who think nothing of making up "rationalizations" in order to, at least in their own minds, connect the story and character dots that don't make sense on the surface.

So, in a way, their own efforts to defend your work have inspired this suggestion for an educational opportunity. Via Lucasfilm and/or the Fan Club, have a contest wherein ordinary fans write/re-write the Prequel stories the way they would have liked to and/or expected to see them. I realize that this is a risky and bold move in so far as it is an admission of sorts on your part that the Prequels didn't live up to the expectations of most fans, however, in the interest of furthering your goal of improving education, this could be a very interesting and unique exercise.

How so? While not a traditional avenue for teaching, encouraging fans/students to learn how to write and create a story within certain established parameters offers up a variety of positive lessons. A "contestant" would have to look at the established continuity from the original films (story, mood, themes, etc) and create a backstory (prequels) that lead naturally into the movies that made such an impact so many years ago. The goal, of course being, a storyline which begs for no overreaching explanations or rationalizations. A story which is entertaining and fits within the overall structure of the saga.

An interesting followup contest could involve a post-Return of the Jedi storyline where writers of all ages create a storyline that adheres to the established continuity and follows the reestablishment of the Republic.

The winner of the contests could have his/her story published or something as simple as getting a tour of the Ranch or having a cameo on a future Lucasfilm project.

Whatever the prize, I believe that having the opportunity to rewrite the Prequel storyline as an officially sanctioned educational opportunity would be enough incentive and inspiration enough for young and old fans alike. And maybe, just some of those "defenders" would get the chance to learn what a great Prequel story really looks like.

Thank you,
Stillakid at heart

General_Grievous
12-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Just drop it, dude. George would never do something like that. If he read this, I'm sure he would tell you the same thing he has always said: "They're my movies, I made them the way I wanted". Now, you can accept this like many of us have, or you could keep whining about a film trilogy that ended almost three years ago.

DarthBrandon
12-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Just drop it, dude. George would never do something like that. If he read this, I'm sure he would tell you the same thing he has always said: "They're my movies, I made them the way I wanted". Now, you can accept this like many of us have, or you could keep whining about a film trilogy that ended almost three years ago.

Well, at least I didn't have to say it.:D

Mad Slanted Powers
12-16-2007, 07:50 PM
They already have the Star Wars fan film contests. Someone could remake the prequels and submit them.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Stillakid, weren't you working on something like this several years ago (not a contest, but your own re-cut of TPM or the other two)? I think that may be a good creative outlet for you and I'd love to see the results.

Droid
12-17-2007, 11:57 AM
You can't save them through re-editing. You can cut out the most painful moments, but you can never edit it so that Qui-Gon and the other characters don't do what Obi-wan was supposed to do; you can't edit it so Anakin and Owen know each other beyond saying hello. You can't edit them so that Leia has a reason to remember her mother.