PDA

View Full Version : Which OT movie (not SE) has the best figures?

TheDarthVader
12-18-2007, 12:28 PM
Post and tell me which Original Trilogy movie has the best figures! I am talking modern Hasbro figures. In other words, which movie's characters have been captured the best over a whole during the modern era action figure line run. You may post character names to support your claim. At the end, I will do a count and see which movie comes out victorious.

Old Fossil
12-18-2007, 12:39 PM
ESB, by far.

VTAC Snowtrooper
Saga AT-AT Driver
VTAC Bossk
VOTC Boba Fett
Saga Dengar
VTAC IG-88
TAC 4-LOM
Saga General Veers
OTC Yoda
VOTC Lando Calrissian
OTC Ben (Spirit)
Saga Admiral Ozzel
VTAC Han Solo (Hoth)
OTC Cloud Car Pilot

TheRealDubya
12-18-2007, 01:17 PM
A New Hope for me. My reasons:

Han Solo (VOTC)
Luke Skywalker (VOTC or TSC)
Chewie (Early Bird)
Leia (VOTC)
Captain Antilles (Saga)
Biggs Academy (TAC)
Bo-Shek (POTJ)
Ellorrs Madak (POTJ)
Zutton (POTJ)
Greedo (OTC)
Nabrun Leids (TSC)
Kabe (TSC)
Labria (TSC)
Muftak (POTF)
Feltipern Trevagg (OTC)
Myo (OTC)
Dannik Jerriko (OTC)
Hem Dazon (TSC)
Momaw Nadon (TSC)
M'iiyoom Onith (TAC)
Elis Helrot (TAC)
Garindan (TSC)
CZ-4 (TAC)
R5-D4 (TSC)
RA-7 (Legends '07)
Power Droid (Commtech w/Jawa)
Aunt Beru & Treadwell Droid (Flashback)
Sandtrooper (TSC and Legends '07)
Jawa with LIN Droid(TAC)
Tusken (OTC and VTSC)
Darth Vader (TAC w/Obi's robe)
Luke Skywalker X-Wing (VTSC)
Bigg X-Wing (TAC)
Rebel Honor Guard (TAC)
Luke Skywalker Ceremony (TAC)
Death Star Briefing Set
Death Star Trooper (TAC)
Stormtrooper (VOTC)
TIE Fighter Pilot (Saga)
Jan Dodonna (Saga)

Still needed:
Definitive Ben Kenobi
CZ-4 style C-3PO
SA Rebel Fleet Trooper
SA Ponda Baba (Walrusman)

General_Grievous
12-18-2007, 07:37 PM
I say "Return of the Jedi" for Ephant Mon alone. Plus, nearly every Jabba's Palace figure has been great.

Qui-Long Gone
12-19-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm also a big Jedi fan....they seem to nail every Jabba goon figure.....

But they always tank on the Emperor???

General_Grievous
12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
The Vintage Style figures also have some great entries for "Jedi", like Boba Fett, Chewbacca and the Biker Scout.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-19-2007, 04:02 PM
I gotta say ESB, just because of all the Battle of Hoth figures, Bounty Hunters, and Bespin figures we've gotten, most of which are all great figures. Espically the Bounty Hunters.

bigbarada
12-21-2007, 03:21 AM
I vote for ESB, since it's the closest to being "completed" of the three films and there is only a handful of figures that need an update.

Some stand-outs:
VTAC Bossk
VTAC IG-88
VTAC Snowtrooper
TSC AT-AT Driver
FX-7
OTC Dagobah Luke and Yoda
Bacta Tank Luke
Saga Cloud Car Pilot

ANH is kind of all over the place for me in terms of quality figures and, for me, Hasbro has started to get really repetitive. Especially with the ANH Lukes and Han Solos.

I feel that ROTJ is the most neglected film in the modern line. Especially Jabba's Palace characters since when we get them that are usually too few and far between so the quality ends up being wildly inconsistent. Plus we have yet to get a modern Jabba that could even remotely be considered an improvement over the vintage Jabba.

mark2d2
12-28-2007, 03:56 AM
While I prefer ESB slightly as a film, I have to say that the best figures come from ANH. The figures from both the Sandcrawler and the Cantina are such great fun to collect. TheRealDubya's list was pretty spot on with the only real omissions being EE astro droids and the outstanding R1-G4 which is STILL one of my all time favorites. . . It looks amazing beside my favorite vehicle, the Sandcrawler.

THE HEROS

R2-D2 (VOTC) (the card wasn't ANH but still the definitive version)
C3-PO (TSC) (minus the ROTJ chair of course)
Princess Leia Organa(VOTC)
Luke Skywalker (VOTC)
Ben Obiwan Kenobi (VOTC)
Chewie (Early Bird)
Han Solo (VOTC)
Luke Skywalker X-Wing (VTSC)
Rebel Honor Guard (TAC)

THE EMPIRE

Stormtrooper (VOTC)
Darth Vader (VOTC)
Death Star Trooper (TAC)
Sandtrooper (TSC)
TIE Fighter Pilot (Saga)

THE SANDS OF TATOOINE

Jawa (TAC)
Tusken Raider (VTSC)

SANDCRAWLER & OTHER DROIDS

R5-D4 (TSC)
RA-7 (Sandcrawler pack-in)
Power Droid (Commtech)
WED-15 Treadwell Droid (Flashback)
R1-G4 (Saga)
LIN-V8K (TAC)
CZ-4 (TAC)
R2-X2 (EE multipack)
R2-Q2 (EE multipack)
R4-M9

THE CANTINA

Bo-Shek (POTJ)
Ellorrs Madak (POTJ)
Zutton (POTJ)
Greedo (VTSC)
Nabrun Leids (TSC)
Kabe (TSC)
Muftak (POTF)
Feltipern Trevagg (OTC)
Myo (OTC)
Hem Dazon (TSC)
Momaw Nadon (TSC)
M'iiyoom Onith (TAC)
Elis Helrot (TAC)
Garindan (TSC)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2007, 05:49 PM
It's kind of hard to say for me. I think that ROTJ has the best potential due to the designs, but ESB has the overall highest quality, probably because it has a lower number of interesting background characters than the other two and they can therefore focus on perfecting the small number of characters.

But why does this thread say "not SE"? I really doubt that Ketwol, Ghost Hayden, or Umpass-Stay would've swayed many voters. :D

El Chuxter
12-28-2007, 06:27 PM
I was wondering that myself....

OT vs SE, we have the following differences:

OT only:
Lak Sivrak
Ghost of Sebastian Shaw

(I'm not counting minor changes, like Vader with eyebrows, OLME Emperor, or the obviously different Wampa costumes. Or Dewbacks and Sarlaacs, since they're pretty big and wouldn't be "figures.")

SE only:
Scurriers
Ketwol
Melas
Skinny Jabba
Jabba's Human Lackey
Jabba's Rodian Lackey (read: Greedo repaint)
Imperial Scanning Droid
Umpass-Stay
Sy Snootles w/o Tusks (I originally included the version with tusks under OT earlier, but she's still in one shot due to a pretty moronic continuity error.)
Ak-Rev
Rappertunie
Joh Yowza
Doda Bodonawieedo
Greeata
Rystall
Lyn Me
Barquin D'an
Boogie Wonderland Mon Cal Officer

There's not much difference, and most of it's in Jabba's Palace Band.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Hey! What about good ol' Arleil Schous? :eek:

El Chuxter
12-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Anything stating that's not Lak Sivrak is EU.

jjreason
12-28-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm a sucker for Hoth. Even though we still don't have an acceptable, basic Hoth Rebel Soldier - pretty much everything else has been done, and done very well.

The Bounty Hunters, Bespin & Dagobah are all nicely taken care of (minus an improved Zuckuss, though only articulation could be called suspect on the old one).

ESB it is.

CaptainSolo1138
12-29-2007, 12:33 AM
I think its [movie title][/movie title] because of [list][/list ]

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Judging from main characters, it'd be... like an idiot, I put "ROTS" because I'm tired and hadn't latched on to the "OT" part of this. Well, ROTS has "OT" in it. ;)

ANH has few of the main characters that well represented:
Farmboy Luke - crap every ****ing time.
Pilot Luke - both VTSC and POTJ kinda get this right, but VTSC doesn't have the head that well represented and POTJ is too skinny and doofy.
Stormtrooper Luke - failure at all turns.
Leia - VOTC kinda gets the lines right but really doesn't deliver that well. Other iterations sacrifice too much as well either in face or paint or sculpt. We don't have "the" Princess Leia.
Han - VOTC is preferred, but it's really lagging in the scale department, skinny and short and not that good a likeness.
Stormtrooper Han - comics 2pack is kinda there, but it's not ideal with the red helmet eyes.
Obi-Wan - VOTC kinda gets the head, but the articulation is poor and it just doesn't deliver. POTJ has a weak head sculpt by modern standards.
R2-D2 - no dented, dirtied, properly-gimmicked figure actually exists for this film.
C-3PO - it's been attempted a few times, but never quite sticks the landing.
Chewie - I guess the Early Bird Kit version has the proper head on the VOTC body, but since it's only got the 1 stupid release it's kinda of lame.
Vader - this is the closest to right, we have the VOTC and the various extensions of that, but I think it's the POTF2 one that best captures ANH Vader which is a sorry state indeed since it's not really representing the scale or level of design or articulation all that well.
Tarkin - total shambles, an embarrassment that we have to choose between a VERY old POTF2 figure or a repurposed ROTS figure.ANH also tanks it with Owen Lars and Dr. Evazan, 2 characters that have impact but no quality figures to go with that. It does however have Stormtroopers, Sandtroopers, Jawas, and Cantina denizens out the wazoo on its side, plus 2 new Biggs figs that deliver. But then there's the Rebel pilots that are all suffering outdated bodies and/or heads. Rebel Fleet Troopers and secondary Imperials fall somewhere in the middle.

ESB, let's see how it does for main guys:
Hoth Luke - we have the pretty snazzy beaten-up version from the Saga line, but no regular or tauntaun-rider versions that match it.
Bacta Tank Luke - do we really need another one after what we got? No.
Recovery Luke - we don't have this even though he's in 2 different scenes in the film with this!
Snowspeeder Luke - not really, that cobbled thing we just got doesn't really have the look down.
Dagobah Luke - yeah, the OTC version works pretty well. Could have better articulation and paint, but not too bad.
Bespin Luke - VTAC is closer, but the facial likeness is not there yet.
Defeated Luke - OTC repaint still suffers that goofy head and gimmick, so no.
Hoth Leia - despite spending half the damn movie in this outfit, NO!
Bespin Gown Leia - I guess that OTC saltshaker is good enough, I don't love it, articulation and paint are kinda "meh", but I don't need another.
Bespin Escape Leia - the POTJ is really good but has bad articulation and pose.
Han Hoth - the VTAC is close but is ruined by the stupid helmet limiting him to 1 tiny scene in the hangar.
Han Bespin - I know you guys love the POTJ one, but it's way old-looking, and the new one flat out sucks.
Han Carbonite - nuh uh.
Yoda - OTC is pretty much there if a little off in sculpt, still I think that's our best bet. It sure ain't VOTC which looks all wrong in too many ways.
R2-D2 - Saga is pretty good for the paint and VOTC good for the body (despite being an ROTJ figure technically) but chrome dome kinda ruins it.
R2 Dagobah - we kinda have this in a few forms, but could use a more modern sculpt with the grasper claw and a taller periscope.
C-3PO - we could use an update of this, we basically have it in the form of Endor 3PO but that represents something else and doesn't have removable limbs.
Hoth Chewie - none of the versions we have really work I think.
Regular Chewie - I dunno, we have the Bespin Escape one which is good and the Mechanic one which is good, but neither is entirely "the" version.
Vader - I think we have this in a few forms, the kneeling 500th version is good.
Lando - both POTJ and VOTC offer something solid, but in modern terms they both come up very short. We don't have the modern sculpt in the head, don't have the modern articulation, don't have the removable cape.
Boba Fett - 300th is very good, but preposed. Still, until next year's Evolutions version comes out, I think we can lean on the 300th as solid work.ESB has great Snowtroopers now, all the bounty hunters are well-represented (even Zuckuss who hasn't been updated yet is still a decent fig from 9 years ago), the Stormtroopers we have are technically from the ESB design so it depends on if you're splitting hairs over this one, Imperial Officers are well-represented, Rebel leadership is well represented even though their troops are NOT. Bespin has 1 guard which is alright but losing support with a lot of collectors, Ugnaughts are good for their time but starting to show their age, and a cool Cloud Car Pilot that has nothing to do all day. ESB seems to have the least figures left to do yet plenty to redo.

ROTJ:
Jabba's Palace Luke - yeah, we got that now, give it an f'ing rest. Sadly, the headsculpt isn't entirely "there", but I'm sick to death of this guy and it is recognizable.
Pilot Luke - nobody really cares about this one, but it's never been done if you want to get technical.
Luke Endor - we've got it, it's alright, we can take its crap and stick it on TAC Luke and it'll work even better so good enough (except for the stupid gloved hand).
Death Star II Luke - unbelievably, we STILL do not have this done right, the previous versions are either ugly gimmicked crap or incredibly POTF2-school.
Boushh Leia - we've got this, it rules.
Slave Leia - what we've got is close, but articulation is very much lacking there.
General/Endor Leia - not really, and the VTAC is an unmitigated disaster being too thin, having an oversized poncho, limited articulation, and a bizarre neck.
Ewok Leia - the POTF2 version holds up ok, but it's not really bringing it in the sculpt.
Han Carbonite Melt/Skiff - what we have is underscale and a little off.
Han Endor - I think the VTSC works, but it could be better. Saga kinda works too but not enough.
R2-D2 bartender - we need a do-over on this one, it's not terrible but it's not great either.
R2 Endor - we don't have this.
C-3PO Tatooine - what we have doesn't really cut it, not dirty enough and that eye gimmick blows chunks.
C-3PO Endor - yeah, we've got this, the TSC version works.
Chewie Tatooine - we don't have this, but the needs are a little odd, we need him to be chainable and to have a leg wound but lots of articulation.
Chewie Endor - we have this, the VOTC delivered it.
Dying Yoda - does anybody care? We don't have this, but nobody seems to care.
Vader - I'm hesitant to say this is done, ESB and ROTJ are similar but ROTJ has different needs and I don't think we've met them in a satisfying figure yet.
Palpatine - every previous attempt is utter garbage. The closest is a damn Ep 1 figure from 8 years ago!
Lando Skiff - seems good enough.
Lando General - also good enough.
Boba Fett - oh yeah, we totally have this!
Wicket - POTF2 is alright, but now that we're enjoying real scale and modern sculpting, it doesn't totally deliver.We've got palace denizens out our ears although it is a mixed bag with EV-9D9 and the Gamorreans needing an update, the band is good but could be better, the ewoks are coming along nicely but still not heavily represented, the rebel troops are ok but could be better - there's a lot of that in fact.

I'd say ROTJ is really the film with the best figures overall based on screen time, though it does need a fair share of updating.