PDA

View Full Version : Figures you don't like yet everyone else loves...

Devo
12-18-2007, 05:00 PM
....and you just can't understand why. From whatever year pick the figures you feel were the most overrated by the majority and perhaps still are. This was inspired by the other thread asking which OT film has been best represented by 'quality' figures where I saw some figures listed that I think are actually either pretty crap or just a tad too praised.

Figures like: VOTC Lando Calrissian (weak headsculpt, awkward looking neck, swivel elbows, appalling softgoods), VOTC boba Fett (tiny head), and VOTC Han (Ms Anorexia Solo)

El Chuxter
12-18-2007, 05:34 PM
I don't see the appeal of the 2007 Ceremonial Luke. I think it's one of the biggest pieces of garbage Hasbro's produced.

Old Fossil
12-18-2007, 08:21 PM
McQuarrie Concept Chewbacca. That thing is fuuuugly.

General_Grievous
12-18-2007, 10:00 PM
Hermi Odle is a bit overrated. It's not that I don't like him, but he's no Ephant Mon.

Slicker
12-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Every Boba Fett
Every Jango
Every Clone
Every Clone with a Jango head
Every EU figure

Qui-Long Gone
12-19-2007, 12:44 PM
Most of the VOTC heads (Fett makes me both sad and happy)

Most of the EU figures (unless they are a Jedi figure)

Most Clones (I'm not a racist, but I take mine white please...)

Most Luke figures.....:sad:

JediTricks
12-20-2007, 06:00 AM
The current Ewok 2-pack, I don't get the appeal at all, it's just 2 more teddy bears, and their build seems a little off in terms of character design.

The Tycho figure, it's alright but people talk it up like it's great when it's only so-so, especially that iffy head sculpt and second helmet.

I can't believe there's anybody into the Han Torture Rack set, both pieces underwhelm there.

Darth Revan - total "who cares" figure, very undynamic and boring and not too star warsy.

Pre-Borg Grievous, this isn't a very star warsy figure either, and it's just kinda meh in general I think.

Elis Helrot and M'iiyoom Onith, these are both pretty darn lame I think. Elis doesn't even look quite right.

Oh, and what the hell is with this interest in Pax Bonkik or whatever the **** his name is?!? This is a total turd of a figure and way too many people are trying to get it.

VOTC Han, definitely, this thing is very thin and pretty small in scale, the holster sticks out funny, and it just feels frail.

I don't see the appeal of the 2007 Ceremonial Luke. I think it's one of the biggest pieces of garbage Hasbro's produced.That is so weird, when it first came out, it got no respect because it deserved none. Then, a few months later, all of a sudden it's getting this weird cred and I don't see why at all. I guess pegwarming long enough can fool some folks. ;)

Hermi Odle is a bit overrated. It's not that I don't like him, but he's no Ephant Mon.Ditto.

Devo
12-20-2007, 01:40 PM
Odd because apart from the unnaturally pale skin I see no problem with Ceremonial Luke. I don't particularly think the arms are too long which is one criticism I've read. The articulation is well hidden and the stance is appropriately non-action.

The appeal of Torture rack Han, even though the figure is as poor as any POTF2 era Han and the rack is not entirely accurate, I think is that we simply never thought it would actually be made. Now that it is some people are willing to overlook a few shortcomings. And the figure is fine if he is to be permanently strapped in as mine is. I wouldn't waste a Bespin Han that was actually good in it, I'd prefer to keep good bespin Hans for other scenes.

TheRealDubya
12-20-2007, 02:52 PM
Odd because apart from the unnaturally pale skin I see no problem with Ceremonial Luke. I don't particularly think the arms are too long which is one criticism I've read. The articulation is well hidden and the stance is appropriately non-action.

The appeal of Torture rack Han, even though the figure is as poor as any POTF2 era Han and the rack is not entirely accurate, I think is that we simply never thought it would actually be made. Now that it is some people are willing to overlook a few shortcomings. And the figure is fine if he is to be permanently strapped in as mine is. I wouldn't waste a Bespin Han that was actually good in it, I'd prefer to keep good bespin Hans for other scenes.

I really like the Ceremony Luke. I don't have any problems with it all. Hell, I like the so-called "Phil Collins" Luke too. The only figure I really didn't love this year was the Torture Han, and that's just because I wanted a normal looking, new Bespin Han. But after I modded the figure up (swapped heads and added a holster) I think it looks awesome. Great year all around -- a bounty of treasures from the Bro. No real gripes from me.

The only thing I wished they would do, that they don't, is have the pictures of the entire year's releases on the back of the card. I miss that. Like they did on the bottom of the Battle of Geonosis Arena Encounter.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-20-2007, 03:23 PM
The current Ewok 2-pack, I don't get the appeal at all, it's just 2 more teddy bears, and their build seems a little off in terms of character design.

Darth Revan - total "who cares" figure, very undynamic and boring and not too star warsy.

The above two i could not have said any better myself.

Hermi Odle, as much as i love the character, this figure wasn't the second coming or anything. great use of soft goods though.

Mc Snow Trooper...it sounds as if most people just like the WW2 feel of the concept... To me it's nothing more than just a snow trooper...i don't get why people think this figure was so great, it was okay...but not stellar.

bigbarada
12-21-2007, 01:56 AM
Concept Stormtrooper - I don't get why people love this figure. It was a second rate figure even when it was first released in 2003 or 2004 (I don't remember which year).

Pre-Borg Grievous - I've seen several pegwarming here and nothing about the figure impressed me at all.

TAC Stormtrooper - ignoring the clonehead, it's still a crap Stormtrooper figure. The helmets are always warped and I've haven't seen one with anything resembling a decent paint job.

Anything with a Dutch Vander body - I didn't like the figure in 2004 and it's annoying that it's likely going to be our default Rebel Pilot body for a couple more years.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-21-2007, 02:08 AM
I'll agree on the Concept Snowtrooper and TAC Stormtrooper. Something's not right with the legs on the Snowtrooper, keeping me from posing them in a neutral stance. The Stormtrooper has a floppy mid-section. It seems like it is hunched over. I'd like to have more VOTC Stormtroopers.

I guess I'm not too keen on the Galactic Marine either. I had trouble getting him to stand on his own, partly due to the skirt limiting articulation.

Actually, I do have one complaint about the VOTC Stormtrooper. The one I have open has pegholes too shallow to be of any use.

bigbarada
12-21-2007, 03:07 AM
I forgot all about the Galactic Marine. He has leg articulation, but he still manages to be a salt-shaker because of his overy-tight, overly-stiff, plastic skirt. A B-grade figure at best.

Others I've been thinking about:

Roron Corob - just add sequins and he would be the first "disco-Jedi." Just an incredibly boring figure.

Baron Fel - I don't get the appeal of this guy, if he was such a great TIE Pilot, then why wouldn't he be in charge of defending one of the Death Stars? His uniform is completely inconsistent with the uniforms seen in the movies and his helmet is just too small.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-21-2007, 01:25 PM
I think the super-articulated ROTS clone trooper is good, but it's not as good as it could be, even though many seem to think it's amazing. The belt is upside-down, the legs are different lengths, the elbow pads are weird, and the giant white ball joint on the head is distracting. These are all minor complaints, but I hope they get a better mold in a few years (though I don't really need to see every variant again on the new mold).

The same can be said about the AOTC clone, and it's bulky too.

jjreason
12-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Hermi. I'd rather have half a Yarna.

General_Grievous
12-22-2007, 05:55 PM
]Darth Revan - total "who cares" figure, very undynamic and boring and not too star warsy.

Oh, don't get me started on him. I'll never forgive all of the idiots who voted for this guy instead of Yarna in the fan choice poll.

Kidhuman
12-22-2007, 07:02 PM
Revan and Malak come to mind.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-22-2007, 07:17 PM
i forgot about Revan as well, very bad figure, if he had some articulation and some soft goods...it would have been a great figure, but the sheer amount of people who wanted Revan justified him being made, they just should have made him better.

bigbarada
12-23-2007, 02:57 AM
but the sheer amount of people who wanted Revan justified him being made, they just should have made him better.

I highly doubt that the Hasbro polls are scientific or tamper-proof. Most likely Revan got chosen because the two loser fanboys who wanted him had nothing better to do with their time than to spend all day voting for this turd.

Revan and Malak are garbage, but everybody seems to realize that so I didn't feel the need to mention them.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-23-2007, 04:13 PM
Revan & Malak don't appear to be figures a lot of people are saying they like, though, so they don't quite fit the category of this thread. I don't think the figures are garbage, but I do think they could have been better, and there are other characters from KOTOR I would have preferred, such as Carth, Bastila, or HK-47. When you consider how successful that game was, I wouldn't think it would be too surprising that people would want figures from it.

Kidhuman
12-23-2007, 07:04 PM
The fact that they are never around means that people like them because they keep etting bought up.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I guess that makes some sense, but being one to a case makes them go faster. Also, I've barely seen that wave around here, so there probably wasn't a lot to get bought up.

JediTricks
12-24-2007, 05:54 AM
Baron Fel - I don't get the appeal of this guy, if he was such a great TIE Pilot, then why wouldn't he be in charge of defending one of the Death Stars? His uniform is completely inconsistent with the uniforms seen in the movies and his helmet is just too small.His outfit is consistent with 2 different comic covers though.

I think the super-articulated ROTS clone trooper is good, but it's not as good as it could be, even though many seem to think it's amazing. The belt is upside-down, the legs are different lengths, the elbow pads are weird, and the giant white ball joint on the head is distracting. These are all minor complaints, but I hope they get a better mold in a few years (though I don't really need to see every variant again on the new mold).

The same can be said about the AOTC clone, and it's bulky too.The "face" of the helmet is asymmetrically sculpted, one "cheek" is different from the other, the longer you look at this, the more it throws the design out of whack.

JetsAndHeels
12-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I really do not understand what is so great about the Hermi figure. I've seen it a couple of times in stores, but passed. I passed on the Ephant Mon also. I just didn't like it.
Go ahead guys, let me have it. :)

2-1B
12-24-2007, 12:43 PM
J&H if you see Herms again, please consider picking one up for me. :)

JetsAndHeels
12-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Sure thing buddy.

Since my last post, I went to WM (scary experience today) and there weren't any, but I will keep checking.

JediTricks
12-25-2007, 03:34 AM
I still have an extra Hermi who needs a home.

Desfiy
12-28-2007, 03:57 AM
It would have to be clones for me, I am sick of the sight of them.

And my personal peev, PT figures in general, they just dont seem to stand out as much as the OT figures.

Slicker
12-28-2007, 04:01 AM
It would have to be clones for me, I am sick of the sight of them.

And my personal peev, PT figures in general, they just dont seem to stand out as much as the OT figures.I totally agree on both counts. Clones are FAR over done and the creatures from the PT seem almost too over the top in terms of there exoticness.

Did I mention ever Boba/Jango Fett?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-28-2007, 10:05 AM
Boba should name his son in honor of both himself and his dad and call him Bango Fett.

mark2d2
12-28-2007, 05:23 PM
Clones. Clones. And more Clones. Talk about B-O-R-I-N-G. . .

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 02:50 AM
And they don't even give them new, cool gear! It's just the same stupid blaster pistol, either the fat rifle or the ridiculously anemic version from the Evolutions pack, and occasionally an antenna nobody remembers actually being in the film. Oh, and some of the commanders get "action gear" that doesn't seem to resemble anything and is as boring as hell.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-10-2008, 06:33 PM
I'd have to say the Evolutions Palpatine sticks out in my mind. Mostly because his skin is a bit too pink, and his hood should be a bit bigger. If they were to ever go back and correct those things, he'd be great.

There are several off-screen Clones I could mention as well.

bigbarada
01-10-2008, 07:14 PM
Apparently, judging by the recent poll, some people really like the VTAC Endor Leia. I just don't get it.

I like that figure about as much as Chux likes the TAC Yavin Luke.:D

mark2d2
01-10-2008, 07:59 PM
And they don't even give them new, cool gear! It's just the same stupid blaster pistol, either the fat rifle or the ridiculously anemic version from the Evolutions pack, and occasionally an antenna nobody remembers actually being in the film. Oh, and some of the commanders get "action gear" that doesn't seem to resemble anything and is as boring as hell.

The overall design of Clones --- and this will shock many, I suppose --- is one that i have always thought was profoundly unoriginal and inspired. Can't you just imagine the pitch meeting. . . "Look, fans love Stormtroopers AND Boba Fett, right? Lets meld the two designs together and viola! The fanboys will simply just drool!!!"

To this day I still can't believe how many fans did.

:ninja:

TheRealDubya
01-10-2008, 08:15 PM
Apparently, judging by the recent poll, some people really like the VTAC Endor Leia. I just don't get it.

Truly Barada, your venom for that figure knows no bounds! :thumbsup:

I'm going to have to her take her out tonight just to have another look. You've almost got me convinced it's a POS.

General_Grievous
01-10-2008, 09:29 PM
Clones. Clones. And more Clones. Talk about B-O-R-I-N-G. . .
For the most part, I agree with you, except for the Utapau and Kashyyyk clones.

Cane_Adiss
01-11-2008, 12:36 PM
The figures I was most disappointed in and underwhelmed by this year were:

Concept Boba Fett ~ I wanted this one basically just to complete the McQuarrie set (which I wasn't able to do anyway :() and he turned out to be just a run-of-the-mill figure to me. Not any more exciting than another clone trooper (which he sorta resembles). Plus, his "torso-gun" was a wasted feature to me. It doesn't fold out easily, and the design makes the figure more fragile at the waist.

Concept Darth Vader ~ I figured this one would be more poseable than it is, but the severe angle of the elbows, plus the loose arm and wrist joints make it almost impossible to pose with a lightsaber. He doesnt stand too well either. I'm not a fan of the huge bug-eyed helmet designs or the Batman cape. This one really disappointed.

M'iiyoom Onith ~ Why give her knee articulation if you make her skirt piece so low and stiff? She sould be able to sit at her included bar piece! Otherwise a good figure if a little bit dull. She's a new cantina alien though, so you gotta love her for that I guess. She looks good STANDING next to Feltipern Trevagg.

Darth Revan ~ I honestly thought we would get the ultimate Revan figure, as he was a fan's choice and all. He can't stand at all, even with his salt shaker designed robes that dont reach the floor all the way. His articulation sucks, and his "skirt" piece should have been removeable so you can use his basic leg articualtion. He looked cool in the package, but once you get him out you realize how lame this figure really is.

Pre-cyborg Grievous and Roron Corobb ~ The biggest gripe I have with these is the lack of ball jointed elbows on both. Hasbro really cut corners with these after getting alot of Clone Wars fans excited. Roron's skirt piece hinders his hip articulation as well, making him another salt-shaker jedi a-la Pablo-Jill.

Saga Legends Imperial Officers ~ No useful articulation, cartoony head sculpts/paint. Way overrated in the Fan's choice polls IMHO. Was really suprised fans wanted this one rereleased. Lame. Passed on them all.

Saga Legends ~ As a whole, I was disappointed in the offerings of Saga Legends this year. The only figures that really interested me were rereleases of rare figures (Darktrooper, black R4 unit, TC-14, Pit Droids, RA-7) but the rereleases of core characters were really annoying. Especially when all the troop builder figures were the biggest pegwarmers. (Scout troopers sit like rocks around my area.) The only troop builder figure I never saw in the wild was the Yellow clone officer.

Jargo
01-23-2008, 10:53 AM
clones. clones. clones. clones. clones. clones. clones.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-23-2008, 04:32 PM
clones. clones. clones. clones. clones. clones. clones.

I don't mind clones. I'm just getting sick of all the just slightly offscreen versions we're getting. I'm good with anything in the films, comics or games, but quit giving us " Shadow special ops night vision recon clones".

Also, I'll probably get a few, but I'm a little iffy on some of the TFU colored Stormtroopers. In know more than a few ppl who are miffed at even hearing the name "Incinerator Stormtrooper" but eveyone is different I guess.
Hasbro is going to do anything they can to milk this line for as long as they can, and we're going to buy a good chunk of what they put out into stores.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Pre-Cyborg Greivous?? WTF??

Slicker
01-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Every Boba Fett
Every Jango
Every Clone
Every EU figure

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Every Boba Fett
Every Jango
Every Clone
Every EU figure
So you're chomping at the bit to get the Fett Legacy Evolution set, then? :p

Slicker
01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
*sigh* I didn't even hear anything about this.

Do I dare ask what's in it?

Kidhuman
01-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Its an SA Jango, a Boba and Mandolore, a Mandolorian warrior.

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Boba is a new ESB version, by the way. It actually looks like a slick little set, provided you ignore the goofy-looking maroon Mandalore warrior.

Slicker
01-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Boba is a new ESB version, by the way. It actually looks like a slick little set, provided you ignore the goofy-looking maroon Mandalore warrior.So I take it that those Mandalorian Warriors are the new "in" thing at Hasbro?

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 01:18 AM
No no, this is something 100% different from those EE packs. This is like "a million years ago, ancient mandalorians wore crazy ancient armor and fought ancient battles with ancient jerks", it's waaaaay different than what you're imagining I think.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 01:40 AM
More like four or five thousand years ago.

2-1B
01-25-2008, 01:42 AM
I hate the VOTC Endor Leia, yet everyone else seems to love her.

Jargo
01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
holo figures, silver figures, holiday figures, jorg sacul, baron papanoida, danl faytonni, anything star tours.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-25-2008, 02:15 PM
holo figures, silver figures, holiday figures, jorg sacul, baron papanoida, danl faytonni, anything star tours.

All of those are great additions to this thread, 'cept some of the holo figures I actually liked (the cinema scene holo 3 pack and aalya secura). Otherwise, don't even understand the attraction there, especially ANY figure with GL's face on it.

Which reminds me, I'm adding VOTC GL in stormstrooper disguise to my list...I just don't get it and I was so happy to pass on it!

Jedi_Kal-El
01-25-2008, 08:53 PM
All of those are great additions to this thread, 'cept some of the holo figures I actually liked (the cinema scene holo 3 pack and aalya secura). Otherwise, don't even understand the attraction there, especially ANY figure with GL's face on it.

Which reminds me, I'm adding VOTC GL in stormstrooper disguise to my list...I just don't get it and I was so happy to pass on it!

The holo figures might be ok if they could actually figure out which way they wanted to go with them. The holo Sidious from Ep 1 was a good figure, then they went purple, then blue, then darker blue. If they went back to the way they did that Sidious, and also were able to pull off some way to add the transmision lines to them, they might have a little more appeal.

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 11:16 PM
I love Star Tours, and I'm glad they did the (out of scale) figures, but I am really annoyed at the collectors who have overhyped them and make more out of them than they really are.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
Would you say that if they made Teek?

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 11:58 PM
Only if they do photography/smoking Ree Yees with him. :D And we still need a figure of the pre-boarding video woman with the Mickey Mouse hair, she's so weird!