PDA

View Full Version : Coolest Christmas Toys

TeeEye7
12-18-2007, 04:11 PM
What was the coolest Christmas toy you received as a little tyke? And by that, I mean 12 years or younger.

I HAD to have the USS Battlewagon, and good ol' Santa brought it (I must have been nice and not naughty that year....I think I was 9 or 10 that year).

Here's the old TV commercial for it (check the playlist):

http://tesla.liketelevision.com/liketelevision/tuner.php?channel=555&format=tv&theme=toyland

For me, this rivaled Ralphy getting his Red Ryder BB gun!

What was you all-time coolest Christmas kiddie gift memory?

Ji'dai
12-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Twelve or younger, eh? That rules out most of the GI Joe stuff I got, things like the Mobile Command Center and Cobra Terror Drome were awesome toys. Also exempt for me is the POTF Tatooine Skiff, one of the best vintage SW vehicles made IMO. Another great toy was the LEGO Futuron Monorail (http://guide.lugnet.com/set/6990), but I got that when I was a little older too.

So I suppose it'd be a toss up between the Death Star or Ewok Village playsets. I got both for Christmas and played with them for years. I guess I'll have to go with the Ewok Village.

General_Grievous
12-18-2007, 05:40 PM
Hmmm.... I would say my Playstation 2 that I got when I was 13, but that doesn't really qualify as a toy.

It could have been Wayne Manor/the Batcave from "Batman: The Animated Series" that I got when I was five.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Batman-Returns-Batcave-Command-Center_W0QQitemZ290190602690QQihZ019QQcategoryZ145 888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

TeeEye7
12-18-2007, 06:14 PM
Hmmm.... I would say my Playstation 2 that I got when I was 13, but that doesn't really qualify as a toy.

It could have been Wayne Manor/the Batcave from "Batman: The Animated Series" that I got when I was five.

How well I remember the Batcave! Santa brought that for my son, also (he's a year younger than you, GG). I think that happened about the year after you received yours.

The reason I use the 12 year mark in my post is because, at least for me, the whole Christmas/Santa thing was so much more magical in that time frame.

stillakid
12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
For some reason that I can't explain, Micronauts were somehow cooler in my young mind than Star Wars, at least for a while. I remember one specific Christmas REALLY wanting the Micronauts Battlecruiser, like, really bad! I was so excited to open that box up on Christmas morning. :love:

Epilogue: Years later, when childhood seemed such a distant memory, I was going through my old stuff when we cleaned out our parent's attic. There I found a huge box of old Micronauts, including my beloved Battlecruiser. It seemed so massive when I was little. Now, well... I looked up Micronauts on the internet and found some fan groups. People still are in love with these things the way Star Wars fans still buy the toys. I sold the whole lot to some wonderful woman for about fifty bucks or so. What was so important so long ago.....

Qui-Long Gone
12-19-2007, 11:51 AM
BEST: TWO WORDS TERROR DROME!!!! :thumbsup:

or Death Star......both rocked....

worst: Two Words My Buddy.......:sad:

Qui-Long Gone
12-19-2007, 11:53 AM
BTW, I forgot to mention that the Buddy doll was my Christmas present when I was 12! :tired:

General_Grievous
12-19-2007, 01:30 PM
How well I remember the Batcave! Santa brought that for my son, also (he's a year younger than you, GG). I think that happened about the year after you received yours.

I loved that Batcave, and the Batmobile as well. But I wasn't too crazy about all the different Batmen that they had. I just wanted one in his regular outfit and a whole bunch of villains for him to fight. I think I have a lot of the toys in my attic.

Lord Malakite
12-20-2007, 03:32 PM
One Christmas I got an entire set of every monster figure made for Inhumanoids (http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/639.html), including the three big bads (Metlar, D-Compose, and Tendril) which seemed to be out of most people's "reasonable price" range for a toy (well...for people who don't collect toys as a hobby anyway). I also got one of the Earth Corps figures (he is the one with blue armor and neon green claws pictured on the page I linked to).

Another Christmas I got several of the Mad Scientist kits (http://www.bigredtoybox.com/cgi-bin/toynfo.pl?madscientistindex).

The first kit was the "Mad Scientist Monster Lab". You would build the plastic skeletons out out of various hinged and ball & socket parts. Then you covered the skeletons with a playdough like subtance for skin. Finally you covered the skin with skin texture (using a rod with "texture" molded tip) and added more accessories like plastic eye, ears, teeth, etc. to complete your monster. After the monster was created came the fun part, you filled a tank full of water and added special chemicals packets to it to create a frothy acid bath. Next, toss the monster in an watch its flesh froth and disolve to the bone as various body parts fall off. :D

The second kit was the "Mad Scientist Dissect an Alien". This kit was also amusing, though not quite as much fun. You put the plastic organs inside the alien in a 3-D like puzzle fashion (covering the organs and alien's insides with glow in the dark "alien blood" slime. After you put it together came the fun part. Cutting the alien's stitches open and disecting the blood soaked organs from its body. :thumbsup:

I also remember getting almost all of the monsters from My Pet Monster (http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/673.html) (the only one I didn't get was the Football Player Monster). I think I only got the hand puppet monsters for Christmas though, the main monster (for whom the line was all about) I believe was a birthday present.

Jargo
12-20-2007, 07:50 PM
I don't remember ever getting anything cool. No matter how many times i wrote my list for santa he never left me anything I actually wanted. just a bunch of cheap crap and innapropriate giftage.
Wait, i did get one cool present, a carpenters set. with real metal blades with proper saw teeth and nails and a decent hammer. all kid sized. it got taken off me after a day because i was sawing through my grandma's antique furniture and the rungs on the outside ladder. Never saw that carpenters gear again.

InsaneJediGirl
12-20-2007, 08:26 PM
A giant Lego pirate ship and that giant Jurassic Park noise making T-Rex. Needless to say, the T-Rex often visted the pirates to cause terror :)

mabudonicus
12-20-2007, 11:11 PM
pirates and dinosaurs, Sis?!?!?
that's like mixing tequila and beer kinda :D

But seriously- that "Christmas Story" was shot about 5 minutes walk from my house, most of it :D

My best?? Damn I dunno tho similar to Stillas story, I had a MAD on for micronauts and one year I got "Hornetroid" and it freaked me out (tho my parents had a hard time putting it together right)

The best gift EVER is the one I got this year, which is my SWEET Elf and her CRAZY trip. She is SO awesome words can't describe- and if I DID try to describe her HERE, I'd be BANNED

NO Isobaws required

El Chuxter
12-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Optimus Prime.

Seriously, a Prime in 1984 is tough to beat.

CaptainSolo1138
12-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I remember getting the G.I. Joe playset that was the headquarters or whatever and had the little jail in it. Now that I think about it, I got a TON of G.I. Joe stuff. I remember getting the Cobra Blackbird-esque jet (whatever it was called) and the Hydrofoil, too.

Those aren't necessarily my favorites or the coolest things I've ever, but they always make me think of Christmas, since I got all of that stuff when I was a kid and Christmas was still "magical".

DarthQuack
12-21-2007, 10:43 AM
My vote would have to go to Fireball Island (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ujgywX-z9c)....I loved it!! Also Domino Rally (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GEfucFIwyHI)...who's with me????

Mister Roboto
12-21-2007, 05:26 PM
When I was a wee lad, the coolest present I got was the Death Star playset.

The coolest present Bountyhunterscum got as a child was his very own little wooden cross to burn.

General_Grievous
12-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Also Domino Rally (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GEfucFIwyHI)...who's with me????

I got that for my birthday one year because my parents were tired of me making domino rallies out of all my videocassettes.

So did any of you spoiled '80s kids get the G.I. Joe USS Flagg toy for Christmas?

figrin bran
12-21-2007, 09:44 PM
Optimus Prime.

Seriously, a Prime in 1984 is tough to beat.

Yes, except that I got Prime for my birthday that year. For Christmas, I think I got the GI Joe Tomahawk

DarthQuack
12-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I got that for my birthday one year because my parents were tired of me making domino rallies out of all my videocassettes.

So did any of you spoiled '80s kids get the G.I. Joe USS Flagg toy for Christmas?

I wish....that sh*t would have been awesome.....it was the size of a kitchen table or more.

Ji'dai
12-22-2007, 04:27 PM
So did any of you spoiled '80s kids get the G.I. Joe USS Flagg toy for Christmas? No, but I bought a nearly complete Flagg at a yard sale for $50. Then I sold it to my aunt who gave it to her son when he got into GI Joe. I think he still has it.

For Christmas, I think I got the GI Joe Tomahawk Oh man, the Tomahawk was an awesome toy. I still have mine too.

jjreason
12-23-2007, 08:04 PM
The Millenium Falcon when I was 7 - it wasn't even wrapped, but it was carefully hidden where I wouldn't see it first thing.... pretty great surprise. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
12-23-2007, 08:15 PM
The Millenium Falcon when I was 7 - it wasn't even wrapped, but it was carefully hidden where I wouldn't see it first thing.... pretty great surprise. :thumbsup:

Oh, I got the Falcon for Christmas too. I think I was nine. That was the first Christmas that I discovered that Santa didn't exist by finding the presents stashed under my parents' bed. But I didn't care at all, because I was in awe of the Falcon (To be honest, as a child, I was never thrilled about some fat old guy breaking and entering my house). It was the POTF2 Falcon, and I've still got it in my room, almost ten years later. I also got the TIE Fighter that Christmas, and the X-Wing the year after that.

Rocketboy
12-23-2007, 08:17 PM
I think my best gift ever had to have been in either 86 or 87 - N.E.S.
I don't think there was ever a toy I wanted more for Christmas.

General_Grievous
12-23-2007, 08:20 PM

Bet you had a full day of fun playing Super Mario Bros and Duck Hunt that Christmas, huh?

By the way, while we're on a similar topic, I never understood the phrase "day after Christmas depression". Where did this come from? In all my life, the day after Christmas has never been depressing because I'm too busy being preoccupied with all the stuff that I got. Whoever coined that phrase probably wasn't loved as a child.

Slicker
12-23-2007, 08:34 PM
By the way, while we're on a similar topic, I never understood the phrase "day after Christmas depression". Where did this come from? In all my life, the day after Christmas has never been depressing because I'm too busy being preoccupied with all the stuff that I got. Whoever coined that phrase probably wasn't loved as a child.For me Christmas Day itself is the most depressing because it's all over. I myself love the decorations and music and when it hits midnight on Christmas Day and all of the radio stations that have been playing the music since mid-June stop playing is when it gets a bit depressing. It'll last until just after my birthday (December 31st).

The best toy that I remember getting wasn't necessarily the best I've ever gotten but it's the one that I most remember. It was a LEGO set called Big Rig Truck Stop and for some reason I remember putting it together very vividly. The set was alright but I think that it was one of my first sets. I think it came out in 1988 or so so that would've made me about 7 years old at the time and it's probably one of my earliest real Christmas memories.

Lord Malakite
12-24-2007, 10:49 AM
I didn't even think of putting video games and systems down (which could fill another good chunk of "coolest toys" in my list). :D In my mind I always tend to think of toys and video games as two seperate things. I remember getting my NES for Christmas in 88.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-24-2007, 02:24 PM
I, too, got the Falcon when I was seven (the POTF2 one, though). I remember thinking, back then, that it was the absolute s***. I think I liked the Queen's Royal Starship (age 9) a little better, and really looking forward to the Droid Fighter that could shoot at it with the "laser tag technology." That thing was sweet (I didn't know about all the close-outs back then).

That was the first Christmas that I discovered that Santa didn't exist
WHAT?!?!?!? :cry:

;)

pegger
12-24-2007, 03:01 PM
While it wasn't Optimus Prime - I did get 10 different Transformers in '84 - which was pretty awesome.

they were:
Jazz, Hound, Sideswipe, Ironside, Trailblazer, Bluestreak, Ratchet, Soundwave, Starscream and Megatron.

Toy wise, this was the best Christmas for me.

TeeEye7
12-24-2007, 03:11 PM
For me Christmas Day itself is the most depressing because it's all over. I myself love the decorations and music and when it hits midnight on Christmas Day and all of the radio stations that have been playing the music since mid-June stop playing is when it gets a bit depressing. It'll last until just after my birthday (December 31st).

Our tradition is to pretty much keep things going through the twelve days of Christmas (you DO know about The Epiphany on January 6, don't you?). We have a good friend who spends Christmas with her family in New Mexico, and then my family celebrates (Christmas) with her on New Year's Eve. Decorations usually come down the first week end after the 6th. Knuckleheads in our neighborhood bug me that it's after Christmas and why are my decorations still up. I ask them if they know when the Magi arrived at the Christ Child. They usually flunk the Final Jeopardy Answer. :stupid:

Anyway, we usually take time to see family and friends when during that time things are more relaxed after The Big Day. It's a good time. I highly recommend it!

Tycho
12-24-2007, 06:11 PM
Different years I got the biggest of my Kenner Star Wars toys:

The Death Star
The Millennium Falcon
The AT-AT (I got that specifically for my December birthday though)
The Ewok Village Playset

Two of my other best presents were my bicycles!

I got a Schwinn dirt bike first
I got a Shogun 10-speed mountain bike later on. (That got stolen, too! :mad: )

I don't remember if I was under 12 years old when I got the 10-speed.

DarthQuack
01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
Anyone have a Fireball Island? I want one. :(

DarthQuack
02-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Small update.....does anyone have any pieces from Fireball Island? I'm getting a sweet copy from a buddy of mine and just missing a couple pieces!

The Pink Explorer Pawn
The H Bridge Base
2 Six Sided Tokens

Any help would be appreciated :)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
02-06-2010, 12:37 PM
One Christmas I got an entire set of every monster figure made for Inhumanoids (http://www.x-entertainment.com/messages/639.html), including the three big bads (Metlar, D-Compose, and Tendril) which seemed to be out of most people's "reasonable price" range for a toy .

That was one cartoon that disturbed me as a kid. Yet, I watched it with disturbing frequency.

Back on topic, video game systems seem to be the greatest of my gift receiving memories, starting with the NES back in 86', continuing with a Sega Genesis in 91' and a Playstation in 98'.

The most astounding gift I ever received was a ski ball machine, split among my 3 brothers. No one ever expected it, but were quite enthralled by it. Sadly, a couple of years after, the dad donated it to an employee's son after it fell untouched for a while.

TeeEye7
12-17-2010, 09:56 AM
*BUMP!*

Merge, baby, merge!

Qui-Long Gone
12-17-2010, 10:40 AM
Dang I need to merge my thread here

Rocketboy
12-17-2010, 10:55 AM
I remembered a cool thing from when I was a kid, circa 1983-85.
My mom got me a bunch of Star Wars figures, but instead of wrapping them she hung them on the tree like ornaments. Along with the other presents under the tree it was great thing to see on Christmas morning and something I hope to do for my kids when I have 'em (even if it isn't Star Wars).

El Chuxter
12-17-2010, 11:12 AM
That sounds pretty cool. We're not going that far, but we're assembling the entire Dinosaur Train train (which is sold in parts) to put out around the tree.

sith_killer_99
12-17-2010, 05:34 PM
My daughter asked for the Doll House this year. I plan on assembling it and putting it next to the tree with a ribbon and bow.

Classic!

My son will be having a "Galactic Heroes" Christmas this year. Jabba's Palace, AT-AT, figures from SW and Marvel.

My daughter will also be getting a Mr. Potato Head (Toy Story version), a yo-yo, and a few other goodies.

The wife has asked for an iTunes card, B&N gift card (for use with her nook), and workout clothes, as well as a subscription to PJTV.

As for me, I was bad this year, so a lump of coal for me. Oh wait, I did manage to spend the first few months of 2010 on a humanitarian mission in Haiti, so maybe Santa will turn a blind eye to the rest of my shenanigans. :laugh:

If anyone wants to pick me up a gift I accept gift cards, cash, high end automobiles and Star Wars...well anything really. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
12-17-2010, 09:19 PM
So my reply sounds more like the MERGED BEST/WORST GIFT thread this shall become...

Best: the orange-but-painted-black bike, which later had yellow handle grips, a breadbox seat, and a twisted backwards front fork from a chase mishap. It got the most use of any gift ever.

Worst: well, you never want to call a gift "worst," especially if someone will read this post someday. Hmm... I'll go with a robe. Only because I realize not only do I still have it, but I haven't even removed the price tag (from a now-defunct business, Mervyn's) nor is it the robe I wear.

sith_killer_99
12-17-2010, 09:57 PM
You don't wear robe's in general, or you don't wear that robe?

I got a robe, still have it and love it!:thumbsup:

Qui-Long Gone
12-18-2010, 08:54 AM
When I was in college, my mom got me a POTF Boba Fett...that renewed my interest in collecting SW again! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
You don't wear robe's in general, or you don't wear that robe?

I got a robe, still have it and love it!:thumbsup:I don't wear my robe all that often (mainly if it's cold and/or when company stays over [like at the holidays], sometimes just if I need pockets :rolleyes: ), but that other robe is just in the closet or behind a door.