PDA

View Full Version : How much of your collection is displayed/stored

stillakid
12-20-2007, 09:20 AM
Most of us here have very large collections filled with toys from the modern lines and some of us have also kept the original toys from Kenner that got us interested in the first place.

It would take a very large room to put everything on display and it's unlikely that most of us enjoy that kind of space.

So what percentage of your collection is out on display and how much of it is boxed up sitting in some dark room someplace? Do you rotate the display items? What reasons do you keep specific items out and leave others in storage? Do you do "themes" or just random displays of favorite items? Do you dream of having everything out one day?

:yes:

Droid
12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
So what percentage of your collection is out on display and how much of it is boxed up sitting in some dark room someplace? Do you rotate the display items? What reasons do you keep specific items out and leave others in storage? Do you do "themes" or just random displays of favorite items? Do you dream of having everything out one day?

Right now I only have out the holiday items. I recently had the cantina scene out and then set up a Jabba's palace scene. I usually only have out the current batch of figures I just bought.

Almost all of it is in storage all the time. This has led me to thin my collection over time and there are a few big items I am thinking of putting in the next garage sale. If in the five years I've had a house I haven't EVER displayed the TIE Fighter why do I need to keep it?

Not having room to dispaly everything has helped me to see what I really like. I get out the cantina or Jabba's Palace at least once a year. I like when I get out all of my Echo base figures. I bought so much stuff to set up the arena from Episode II and probably only set it up once. I never display prequel stuff so why do I buy any of it and why don't I sell it to free up some storage?

Usually I either set up a scene or have stuff I bought recently out. Many times the newest figure out can cause me to set up a scene that centers around that figure. When they put out the Ewok 2-pack I dug out my Ewoks and set up a little Endor scene. When they put out the honor guard figure I set up a little medal ceremony.

I used to dream of having it all out somewhere; of course, I never imagined how much they would make. Then I thought I would set up all of my figures from each movie and then rotate which movie I was displaying. I don't have space for that either. I bought too many Chewbaccas, Vaders, etc. because I thought I'd have all these scenes set up at once and I now realize I wouldn't do that even if I had the space.

Suddenly I am depressed.

jedi master sal
12-20-2007, 09:47 AM
99.9% is in my storage unit. Waiting for the day I get a house and can display it all.

you all know my plans for those huge dioramas. Those will house a great lot of my figs and ships.

But for now, sadly nearly all is in storage.

heck I get a new figure, I crack it open, examine it for a few minutes, then in a plastic baggie it goes to be catalogued later then stored. Sad...

However, because I'm cutting back next year, it's also given me cause to cull from my collection that which I do not want any longer. So I'll have less in my collection, but really more of what I truly want (or want to keep in this case).

Strangely enough the one thing that stays on permanent display is a loose Boba Fett Unleashed, and my signed play lightsaber (Signed by Weird Al).

Otherwise, it's just stuff that's out but not really display, that I've purchased in the last 4-6 weeks (awaiting to be bagged and tagged..).

-Sal

Sinscia Fat'o
12-20-2007, 02:17 PM
Right now all of my 3 3/4 inch figures are on display on a very large book shelf, which is full...Then another smaller book shelf is full as well (Mainly with PT stuff) All my 12" stuff is in storage, all of my carded figures are in storage, all my kenner stuff is in storage, all my higher end stuff is in storage, so my ships, speeders, and such are in storage, i have a room which i wish to dedicate to star wars though that takes time, and time is something i don't have a whle lot to devote to when it comes to Star Wars displays. This is a sad topic...Alot of stuff and little to no room to display it.

TheRealDubya
12-20-2007, 03:26 PM
I have a very small percentage of my stuff displayed. In fact, I can list it:

Yoda & Kybuck
Clone Wars Animated Greivous
Hermie Odle
Ephant Mon
Hoth Battle Pack "blue" Han Hoth VTAC
Vintage Vader
Vintage Orange Snake Yoda

The other 300+ figs are all stored.

I'm like Sal -- waiting for a house to properly display the gems, and even then I will probably only do two lit glass display cases worth.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-20-2007, 07:15 PM
Up until recently, everything was on display (there are pictures in the collections section of the photo gallery) and took up a wall in my room, a wall in the basement, and various other places. It's now mostly in boxes, as we're moving into a new house nearby (albeit extremely slowly). I will eventually set it up in the basement all together, but apparently we have to wait a while to finish the basement. And this time next year I'll be at college, so I don't know when I'll be able to have them all out (they'll likely stay at home until I get my own place).

plasticfetish
12-20-2007, 07:52 PM
Nice idea for a thread.

At this point, just about everything in my collection (Star Wars or otherwise), is boxed and stacked up about 5 feet from where I'm sitting (the basement) right now. We just moved into this house a few months ago, and I'm still rotating through and renovating the rooms.

With that said... I tailored down my collection quite a bit before the move(s), and though I'm sure not all of it will be out on display in the future, I'd like to think that a lot of it will.

I tend to collect more than just Star Wars though, and so most of the displaying will be done by toy theme: A case (something old and victorian) in the living room for all of our old-ish tin toys and the like. A small shelf here and there, or built into the wall for vintage ('60-'70s) Japanese toys. Shelves in my (small) office for a few key Sci-Fi and comic book related props, toys, etc. The basement is where we'll be putting the TV and video game stuff, so I'll have some display room down there (here) once everything's done.

I do tend to change things out, and rotate displays depending on what I'm interested in at any given time though. That's very much the case with Star Wars... ultimately I'll probably favor displaying vintage toys, with much of the "modern" stuff staying packed away.

Luuuuuuke
12-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I'd say about half my collection(the clone troopers mostly and OT troop builders) is proudly displayed.

The rest is in a storage bin, but loose. I just don't have room right now to display more. As it is my Lord of the Rings collection is stored in bins. I'd love to have the room and shelves to display everything.

Slicker
12-21-2007, 07:15 AM
Displayed - 0%

Stored - 100%

Unfortunately I have everything in storage just waiting for the glorious day when it can finally see daylight and be displayed again.

Old Fossil
12-21-2007, 08:46 AM
I have displayed all my small loose and carded Vintage collection, carded neo-Vintage and OTC, and carded McQuarries; a couple Unleashed, 2 LEGO ships, and 7 shelves of OT 3 3/4" figures. Also my Y-Wing, A-Wing, Cantina bar, and 2 POTF2 Banthas.

Everything else -- ships, Unleashed, 12", a couple hundred loose figures -- is in storage. I'm whittling that down year by year, as I find kids who want the old POTF2 and POTJ figures.

figrin bran
12-21-2007, 11:02 AM
About 10% is displayed while the remaining 90% is stored in boxes and bins.

Engineernerd
12-21-2007, 11:35 AM
I'm about the same. About 10 to 20 percent on display, 80% stored. Mrs. Nerd tolerates me displaying stuff, but made the condition I had to put up 3 double wide bookcases for it. I also comandeered the top of a cabinet for my Palisades Muppets.

dindae
12-21-2007, 02:44 PM
I would say that 97% of my collection is "displayed" I have 6 jumbo storage closets one for each movie in my garage and then I have a bunch of stuff in my computer room and some of my legos in the guest room. I plan on ripping out the cheap wire shelving in the closet in my computer room to put in real shelves so I can move my legos out of the guest room. I don't see myself moving anytime soon so the space I have is all I will likely ever have. I dumped my carded collection because I had filled every inch of wall space in my computer room with the carded figure wallpaper. Now I am considering cutting back again because of concern for room before I get to the same point of maximum capacity. I like the EU stuff but ultimately if I have to choose betweeen EU and movies the movies will win everytime. I guess I will wait for the whole line for 2008 to be announce and make a decision but I leaning towards some major cuts.

Neuroleptic
12-21-2007, 03:11 PM
I am proud to say that I have 100% of my collection out on display. I used to have a ton of stuff dateing from 1996 through 2000, and when I lived on my own, I had it all out proudly displayed on several book shelvs in my living room. I got married, and put what I actualy liked on one book shelf in my computer room and had the rest in storage. Then I looked at that, and cut it back an insane amount.

Now, I have a shelf devoted to several versions of Darth Vader compleate with clone gaurds for each, a shelf devoted to my B-wing and droids (though this will be expanded to two shelves when I get a Y-wing from a friend of mine early next year since he his thinning his collection. that shelf is currently storage for stuff I simply need to get rid of that isn't even star wars related!) . I keep my hamelton R2-D2 and Wicket plate on it's own shelf, and the top of the book shelf is for my At-At, Imperial Shuttle, another darth vader, and a small ever expanding army of storm troopers, and officers. On the wall, I keep a few vintage packaged figures (some of wich are admitedly restored figures with packageing I made myself on the computer. For some reason, these are the ones I am most proud of even though they aren't worth as much as the real ones). I will probably run out of room this year, and will probably stop buying all together for my collection until I decide to thin it again or magicaly get more room. This may take several years.

jjreason
12-21-2007, 03:14 PM
That's amazing! I'd like to have more out, but would be just as lazy in dusting/organizing as I am now but on a bigger scale.

I'm about 10% out, 90% in storage. :sad:

Kidhuman
12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
95% stored, 5% displayed

stillakid
12-21-2007, 04:19 PM
I have about 99% in storage with just a few choice items adorning my workspace (Kot. Vader, Kot. Biker Scout, Galactic Heroes Biker Scout, Animated Series Yoda in fighting stance, windup AT-AT, Animated Series Grievous, and Elite Corps Biker Scout Trooper).

I also have my Dressing a Galaxy and Sculpting a Galaxy Deluxe Editions, "Art of" books, and the ILM books all close by. In fact, all the "Star Wars" books and Fan mags (Bantha Tracks, Star Wars Fan Club, etc.) are all in the hallway on a shelf to read anytime the mood strikes.

My Don Post Deluxe Biker Scout helmet is on a shelf in the kid's room next to a couple of Star Wars Lego sets they built.

Everything else (mostly toys, well over a thousand action figures plus assorted vehicles/playsets/accessories) is boxed up in storage in anticipation of that day.....

DarkArtist
12-22-2007, 09:11 AM
most of my collection is in storage as I live in a 1 bedroom apartment with my wife and 2 dogs, I really only have my clone armies on display with a few other pieces here and there.

Snowtrooper
12-23-2007, 11:47 AM
I've got about 20% displayed and 80% boxed up. That'll change when I get my SW room built.

Lazer Brain
12-24-2007, 09:25 AM
I have 70% displayed and 30% stored. I collect one to open and one closed, so I have a room to show since my oldest has moved out , the unopened are stored in a closet. 2 walls of shelves and one wall of peg board. ships I tend to buy only one and open it, these get hung from the ceiling.
later

Blue2th
12-24-2007, 11:23 AM
I would say about 50%. I've tried to have at least one example of each character from POTF2 till now loose as well as on a card.
Most of my carded examples are boxed up. Though I do have a complete collection of OTC carded along the top of my wall. That will probably come down in favor of the TAC instead.
I plan on having six shelves for each SW episode. Right now there is only four and they are jamb-packed with loose figures. Two more and a couple wider ones for Clone Wars and large battle scenes from the various episodes.
Right now it's kind of hap-hazzard, but I am slowly organizing my loose collection.
I enjoy it more than the MOMC collector that I used to be, though I still do that as well.

bobafrett
01-05-2008, 11:10 AM
Somewhere between 65% to 75% of my collection is out and about in my house. More and more of it though seems to be getting packed away into storage bins. This has been a needed move in order to make space for my future wife. Stuff I won't pack away are my figures both 3 3/4 inch and 12", any gentle giant busts, my galactic heroes, or any of the books, nor any of the built lego sets. Stuff in storage, mostly anything I have collected over the years not in the above mentioned catagories. I must have somewhere in the range of 18 - 45 gallon totes, and several other smaller totes packed up and stored in my basement. I just don't trust my neighbors kids, and we share the basement for storage and laundry.

My fiance and I had an arguement the other night, and she mentioned how she doesn't have enough space to put her stuff, and she feels at times like she is not welcome there because of it.

*sigh*

jedi master sal
01-07-2008, 11:38 AM
My fiance and I had an arguement the other night, and she mentioned how she doesn't have enough space to put her stuff, and she feels at times like she is not welcome there because of it.

*sigh*

I had the same problem myself bro. Now it's me who has barely anything displayed in the apartment. Most of my stuff is in my storage unit. I have to go there to view my collection. It can be depressing at times knowing what I have and yet never seeing it.

bobafrett
01-07-2008, 04:46 PM
I had the same problem myself bro. Now it's me who has barely anything displayed in the apartment. Most of my stuff is in my storage unit. I have to go there to view my collection. It can be depressing at times knowing what I have and yet never seeing it.

I hear that, and to keep my items I do have stored from the eyes of my upstairs neighbors, I have the stuff buried behind less important stuff like boxes of clothes that I hope to fit into again someday, and old magazines that I once had a subscription to, and refuse to get rid of.

jedi master sal
01-07-2008, 10:32 PM
...and old magazines that I once had a subscription to, and refuse to get rid of.

Um, Playboy??

stillakid
01-07-2008, 10:45 PM
Um, Playboy??

Highlights for Kids

Blue2th
01-08-2008, 10:53 AM
I know one thing from experience is that girls like to display their knick-knacks, and they really don't care about your stuff, or think it that important that you get to display ANY of your stuff.

My X had every room occupied with her things, and my things were in boxes in the garage. It was tough when both of us were collectors.
We broke up, she moved out. I dedicated one 11X12 room to only my SW collection of mostly loose figures and ships.

Just this last week, I have been helping my sister move in and I'm already seeing signs of her wanting to expand her influence to the rest of the house. I won't budge to anything upstairs in the house, as that is completely mine. My SW room and my bedroom, which has Furuta and JL Star Trek ships on various shelves along with my White Lightning and Greenmachine cars, which dollar for dollar, outway anything she might have in value by miles.

I don't care what anybody might think, but a man needs his space for his things, even if it is a small part of the house.
If you are lucky and move into a house with a garage, that's usually the man's lair, where a woman's mentality rarely has any influence.

You have to let a woman be a woman by letting her have her space to display her things, that way she makes it her own, and feels she belongs there and has control over her little world. I makes them happy.
Just make sure you get something out of the deal, or you will resent her.

Maradona
01-16-2008, 10:26 PM
Addictions are terrible things...I pay nearly $180 a month to store my collection. I have a fraction at home and even more in my classroom where REAL kids get to see them and ask questions, but the vast majority of it gets bought and promptly stored away in the vain hope that someday I'll come into some space that I could use to put together the displays I've always dreamed about...

jedi master sal
01-16-2008, 10:56 PM
Addictions are terrible things...I pay nearly $180 a month to store my collection. I have a fraction at home and even more in my classroom where REAL kids get to see them and ask questions, but the vast majority of it gets bought and promptly stored away in the vain hope that someday I'll come into some space that I could use to put together the displays I've always dreamed about...

I hear ya. I pay $195 a month for a 10X15 unit. I only have a small amount at home and that's the stuff waiting to be cataloged then to go to storage. That plus my rent and I could EASILY afford a house payment. But regardless of that, credit woes are my problem. Heh, evne though I've been in the same apartment complex for 11 years now... Go figure. The housing market sucks, IMO. They want TOO much, especially over the long haul and are unforgiving when it comes to past mistakes. Okay maybe they are in a slump no because they lifted some restrictions for some people, but not me...

Sorry, had to rant a little.

I'd much rather have my stuff in a home than in storage so I could see it whenever I want and not have to drive a distance to it or worry about the unit being broken into. The place has excellent security but still...

Maradona
01-16-2008, 11:23 PM
I hear ya. I pay $195 a month for a 10X15 unit. I only have a small amount at home and that's the stuff waiting to be cataloged then to go to storage. That plus my rent and I could EASILY afford a house payment. But regardless of that, credit woes are my problem. Heh, evne though I've been in the same apartment complex for 11 years now... Go figure. The housing market sucks, IMO. They want TOO much, especially over the long haul and are unforgiving when it comes to past mistakes. Okay maybe they are in a slump no because they lifted some restrictions for some people, but not me...

Sorry, had to rant a little.

I'd much rather have my stuff in a home than in storage so I could see it whenever I want and not have to drive a distance to it or worry about the unit being broken into. The place has excellent security but still...

The dream of home ownership has beckoned for me, as well. Prices, though dropping, are still ridiculously valued. The average home in L.A. is half a million. I've lived in my little Batcave of an apartment for 5 years and could likely afford a mortage, but putting a down payment on a half a million dollar home on a single income that is constantly being sucked away by plastic figurines is a challenge.

Jayspawn
01-17-2008, 11:26 AM
Right now, 97% of my collection is in storage.

I'm dreaming of my future SW Room. Aaahhhh...

vader121
01-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I have about 70% of my vintage collection displayed (I posted pics on this site of it some time ago) and have some other recently-bought figures displayed near my computer as well as some other items on a few shelves.

I also had ideas of making dioramas for my vintage stuff but sadly don't have the space at all. My house is on the small side but I do have one room with some of my vintage collection displayed (mentioned above).

There is no way I could ever display everything. Carded figures from vintage right through to the current line. I did collect right from the first POTF2 figures on the orange cards and haven't stopped. I have certainly gone from getting everything to pretty much just the figures with a few other items mixed in.

It is sad that I have spent so much money and time on this hobby but will not be able to display much of it. Most sits in boxes in my attic or basement.
I should start selling off a bunch of it but that will come later. Hey if anyone has a want list let me know. I may be able to help you out.

jedi master sal
01-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Sadly selling off parts of one's collection is starting to increase. Worse still is that there really isn't a huge market for the modern stuff from 1995-1999 (just before TPM).

I'll try selling some of my stuff on eBay, but I think I'm going to end up just giving it away. So, I'll make the best of that and look to have some kind of charity event. This would be no small thing either. I'd guess that the value would be somewhere around $5k (when first purchased). Not so much now, but I still think some impoverished kid would be extremely happy to have an instant SW collection. I would look hard for a kid that really likes SW AND would appreciate the toys. Not some spoiled brat who would throw a hissy fit because they weren't new or on card. Strangely even some poor kids are like that. So the kid I'd be looking for would be poor, but grateful. I wouldn't look for anything from the kid othe than his smile and the promise that he and his family would not sell it to make money. It's meant for the kid to enjoy. So the parents would be looked at as well. I wouldn't consider a family who's parents are drunks or drug addicts for example. Because, you just know that collection would get sold off as fast as possible for the parents vices and I won't contribute to that, even if indirect.

vader121
01-17-2008, 02:22 PM
Very nice idea JMS. Were you planning on having some sort of a contest?

You may be better off just donating it to Toys for tots or something around Xmas time.

jedi master sal
01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
Very nice idea JMS. Were you planning on having some sort of a contest?

You may be better off just donating it to Toys for tots or something around Xmas time.

Contest? No. And I don't just want to donate them to TFT. First off they don't like to take old opened toys.

No, I want this to go to a very specific type of kid. One who's parents while down on they're luck aren't going to take advantage of the gift and sell it. And a kid who REALLY wants the toys and won't b!tch that they're not new.

So I'm thinking I'm going to have to go to charities with my idea for a donation and literally look at "applicants" for this. I wouldn't want or need the person's personal info and that wouldn't be right for the charity to give anyway. But I'd like to somehow know the kid really is in need, his parents are good folk, just poor and he wants SW.

This might be tough to do. Then again, it's also not everyday someone hands over multi thousands in toys to one person. So I think a little research isn't unwarranted.

I'd say a written paper why they'd want the toys would be nice, but then whose to say if that's real either. There was just a big scandal on the news about a girl who wrote a paper to get Hanna Montana tickets. She wrote it about her "fictitious" dad who died in Iraq. Meantime her real dad is very much alive.

Contests have a way of going awry. So I'm not totally sure how to approach this right.

Children's Hospital doesn't want opened toys. I know, I've tried.

Every year in my office we donate toys to needy children. Just ONCE I wish one of them would ask for Star Wars. Man, that would be the best freakin' Christmas that kid could ever hope for. He'd have a slew of Jedi and some Sith, some vehicles, beasts and even yes, some troopers.

Heh, maybe I should have a contest, "Sal's $5K Star Wars giveaway." (I'm just kidding.)

Jedi_Kal-El
01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
Yeah, that does sound like a tough cal Sal. I usually give any of the extras or ones I no longer want to my nephews or cousins. It wasn't hard to fugure out which one to keep giving to because a few of them actually take care of them, and want to still have them around by the time they're older.

You situation is a bit different though so I agree with what you're saying about wanting to find the right kid to hand off part of you collection to. Heck, I have freinds who's young kids have no problem keepng their toys MIP, or at least pristine enough, so there are probably young-uns out there who will take care of and enjoy what you would end up giving them.

UKWildcat
01-17-2008, 10:30 PM
I would say roughly 96% of my collection is in storage, in multiple cardboard boxes and tupperware containers. I also have about 30 or so pieces hanging on my wall and some pieces on my computer desk. I also have a couple of items where I display/keep my Star Wars dvds and box sets.

I have really cut back on collecting so I no longer worry about running completely out of space (which I have nearly done already).