PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of TAC - wave 8

JediTricks
12-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Continuing with our "best figure of 2007" poll series...

Which figure do you consider the best from TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) basic wave 8? This is the final wave of 2007.

Remember, you can use whatever criteria you wish, it's entirely up to you. Maybe you just like the coin, or you were glad to find it, or its articulation was perfect, or you found one painted flawlessly. Whatever makes it the best in your book is fair game.

When we get to the end of the line, we'll put the winners up against each other.

And if you haven't voted in the Wave 7 poll (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36795) yet, it'll be open until the 21st.

Neuroleptic
12-21-2007, 04:15 PM
I gave my vote to the concept rebel soldier figure. It's preaty cool, and I just wish I could find the concept figures so I could actualy buy them! May do that after Xmas and the prices on Ebay drop down a bit . . .

sebillba
12-21-2007, 04:22 PM
I've not seen these over here yet, but from the pics I've seen, my vote has to go to Voolvif Monn.... the only alien in this batch, and a jedi to boot!

Kidhuman
12-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I went with Voolvif Monn, great figure

Tycho
12-21-2007, 04:50 PM
I went with Jango Fett.

He was another winner of the SSG Figures-Never-Made-Before Polling that we did in 2004-2005 and while 2 others in this wave were as well (Padme and the Training Fatigues Clone), Jango was the best executed I guess. I gave serious thought to voting for the training Clone actually.

Jango has a new sculpt and lots of useful accessories.

The Training Clone is also a new (and first) sculpt (I bet they repaint him in a blue jumpsuit at some point - I think the colors denoted rank, not sure how it applies to adult clones in training. Adults wearing the same blue color as the kids were scene at extreme distance, practicing hand-to-hand combat while Obi-Wan toured Kamino.)

Padme was highly sought after, but something's not right with the face sculpt. I wanted this figure, as well as like 20 other figures of her from all the prequels combined, but the execution on this one (maybe at the factory?) wasn't as good as it could have been.

Voolvif Monn was an extremely fun figure. I agree with Kidhuman that it's a great sculpt. I wasn't going to buy the figure, but liked it so much I wound up getting it anyway. No, I didn't ask for this. But I'll insert one in my dioramas somewhere.

Destroyer Droid (with shield) - I actually think this one looks good. At least it did both in the package and on display at Comic Con. I might pick up a couple just for the heck of it. I don't think they'll fit in the dioramas I presently have planned because they take up more room with the shields, but maybe I'll figure out something.

If they stopped here, Wave 8 was a good wave!

Concept Rebel Trooper - who got his head stuck in a giant clam or something? This has got to be the dumbest McQuarrie figure of the whole lot. (Some of them I really like btw - but probably most people just can't like everything). But I don't care how rare it is, or whatever. I so won't touch this figure!

jediguy
12-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I voted for Jango because of the poncho, the good likeness of Temura, the removable armor and the articulation

Padme and Voolvif were close seconds

the clone in training is OK, but I wasn't too impressed with the look once the armor was put on

Hasbro could have sold me just the 2 parts of the shield instead of another destroyer droid and half of the shield

I am totally unfamiliar with this McQuarrie design, but it looks like it has potential
I can't wait to open this one

plasticfetish
12-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Voolvif Monn is the only one that I haven't seen, and it's really only one of two that I want from this wave. I did find the concept Trooper the other day though, and it's a very cool little figure, so it gets my vote.

I've gotta add... I did also buy the Jango Fett figure (for my son), but haven't opened it yet. I was surprised by how decent it was.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-21-2007, 11:48 PM
I don't have any of these yet, but I'll go with Jango on this one. A good figure from a key scene in AOTC.

The concept trooper looks kind of goofy.

I don't know how well I'll like the Destroyer Droid shield. Unless they make a droideka that actually folds up and rolls, I doubt I'd ever vote for one.

Padmé was a figure I wanted, but agree that it wasn't executed as well as it could have been.

Wolfman Jedi looks pretty good, however, with feet like that, he looks like he may not stand well. Now we just need Shaggy Jedi to go with him and Roron Corobb.

Training Clone looks pretty good without the armor, and was a figure I wanted to see made.

dindae
12-22-2007, 12:17 AM
Clone Trooper (Training Fatigues) - a decent figure but I don't like snap on armor

Padme Amidala - this figure got my vote. not enough Padme come down the pipes and this one was done really well. I know some have issues with the head sculpt but given Hasbro track record it is pretty good.

Jango Fett - I like this figure and that is something since I really don't get excited about Mandos/Fetts anymore.

Voolvif Monn - A decent figure but not one I'm excited about getting

Destroyer Droid (with shield) - I was still holding out hope that this would look half way decent in the sheild. But I couldn't even stand the figure inside the sheild. I will likely display the sheild and the figures seperately since you can't see the figure anyway. I understand Hasbro thought the pegs would be too distracting but I would have much rather had pegs than no visibility.

Concept Rebel Trooper - The concept didn't fly well with me so I am not excited about getting the figure. Looks like the Quahog Clam mascot to me.

Cane_Adiss
12-22-2007, 12:31 AM
I haven't seen these in person yet, so I'll just have to vote for the one I'm most excited about.

That would be Voolvif Monn.

Padme and the Rebel Trooper are tied for a close second.

The destroyer droid looks pretty cool, and I could use another one. The blast shield accessory is pretty sweet looking!

The clone and Jango I'm not totally interested in. I may pick these up but if I never see them that would be ok too.

Old Fossil
12-22-2007, 12:57 AM
Voolvif Monn... Jango was a close second. I wish now I'd bought Jango when I saw it at retail!:upset:

jedibear
12-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Here we are....at the end....

Clone Trooper (Training Fatigues): Got my vote. Always wanted this version to include in my AOTC display along with the Kamonians and the other clone children. The snap-on armor is one of those "I'll never use it" accessories, but they couldn't exactly include their empty dinner plates and air-food could they? :) My only problem with this figure is the limited articulation with the legs...as sal mentions below, ankle/foot articulation would have helped him stand a bit better.

Jango Fett: A much-needed version to be sure (it almost got my vote), but I wish he was completely casual w/o the fixed shin guards and kneepads. As it is, he'll still display well with Obi-Wan for their "conversation" scene (one of my favorites in AOTC)...a solid figure.

Voolvif Monn: Having this figure in hand, I can see why he's getting some votes and attention...he's actually a pretty cool figure. Great sculpt and detailing with an effective almost monochrome look...will display good with Cobb, who like Monn, is actually a pretty cool figure once opened up. Great articulation and poses well.

Padme Amidala: While the general consensus coming down on this one is one of disappointment, i actually like it. While it's true that her delicately detailed costumes and fine features have not translated well in this scale, it's not a bad effort. At least the paint apps on the one I picked up are really good. Good thing she's got that glass though...stand stands a little crooked and at least with a cocktail in hand, she's got an excuse :). I hope they keep more costume changes coming...

Destroyer Droid: Yes, the shield thing is kinda gimmicky and weird...but also kinda cool. I really like it that they jettisoned those ridiculously oversized "working" gun arms in favor of the better looking Episode One ones. Looks a lot better...in fact, once opened, this version is actually pretty solid. Tight joints, great deco and better looking/functioning "blasts" make this the best droideka yet. I really like this one.

McQuarrie Concept Rebel Trooper: It's easily the most "far-out" of the concept figures...I'm not sure why, but it screams "2001" to me. It's definitely the most un-SW of the design concepts we've seen yet...very retro. An interesting end to this sub-line of figures...

So that's it, huh? Still missing a Holo-Vader, but the SW30 basic figure collection is otherwise complete. I'll collect my thoughts on the year and add 'em to the "figure of the year" poll....it's been an interesting line to be sure....and this has been my favorite place to read and post comments about them...

jedi master sal
12-22-2007, 01:46 AM
Wow these polls went by blindingly fast.

So here's the last chance to vote on these. Then maybe battle packs and vehicles next....JT?

Anyway...
Which is the best figure from TAC wave 8?
Clone Trooper (Training Fatigues)-not a bad idea, but two major flaws. Swivel shoulder joints really limit this character as well the skirt does for the legs and a minor flaws of non-articulated ankles. Other wise a decent sculpt, but Bleh on the clone armor.
Padme Amidala-Ok figure if you just plan on having her stand. This should have been soft goods with articulated legs so she can sit. Very much a missed opportunity here by Hasbro
Jango Fett-Excellent job here. But for the fact that we are finally getting an SA Jango in next years EVO sets, this would be the best Jango to date, IMO. It's a great figure, sculpt articulation. Just about everything though the ALL of the armor on him looks a tad out of place sine his shirt arms are rolled up.
Voolvif Monn-likes everything about this figure BUT the head. to big and too muhc of a departure from the wolfman in the cantina.
Destroyer Droid (with shield)-I don't have this yet but from what I've seen and read, I'm not impressed. Yes I understand safety measure, but I believe Hasbro could have spent at least a little more time developing it.
Concept Rebel Trooper-Don't have this one yet either. Look ok, but I agree that it's the strangest MCQ to date.

So after saying all of that, I go with Jango. His versatility goes pretty fair!

Oooh, next up the direct winners of each wave pitted against each other for the SSG Favorite of the year!

happy
12-22-2007, 10:17 AM
I voted for concept trooper because it was the only one in this wave I wanted. I found all of these over three weeks ago, anyone else?

Blue2th
12-22-2007, 11:57 AM
It was a toss up between the Concept Rebel Trooper and Voolvif Mon for me. So I decided on the Trooper. If the Wolfman Jedi had been in another wave he would have gotten my vote. The cool factor of the McQuarries won out though. I love the paint sceme and removable helmet on the Rebel Trooper, or as I call him the "Clam Trooper".

Sinscia Fat'o
12-22-2007, 03:14 PM
Voolviff Monn gets my vite just because he's EU, and a cool looking figure. I have not seen the rest of this wave, other than Padme, so again i don't have much to go on other than wants or coolness factor.

obi-dad
12-22-2007, 05:06 PM
I had to read everyone's comments on this wave first, since I don't have it. I actually haven't gone out hunting since I found an unopened case of wave 7 figures and bought it during the first week it was available. I'm just not too excited about this wave, but I will have to complete my McQuarrie collection and buy the Concept Rebel Trooper. Like some others' comments on this, I'm not too impressed with the concept art on this one, so whether this is a good representation or not, I'm not too excited about it other than to get them all. I actually voted for Jango, based on the pictures on the web I've seen and it was reinforced by reading the comments. It brings back memories of watching on Starwars.com (while Ep II was still being filmed) Jango on set with the poncho and that big oversized and colorful umbrella! Actually, I wish they would have packed one in as an accessory. Not too excited about the clone, but it looks good and I have all the other Kamino figures, so I'll have to pick up a couple. I, too, have been wanting this Padme since I first saw her on the screen. I don't think I agree that the dress should have been softgoods in this case, but I hope Hasbro eventually learns how to make Natalie Portman's face. As I've stated in the previous polls, I'm not a big EU fan, but I think I'll have to get Voolviff Monn, as it looks like it was done well. Like Wave 7 where the voting is close because there are some real standout figures, there seems to be close to a 4 way tie on this one, but to me, it's because none of the figures really stand out, but they're all ok.

bigbarada
12-23-2007, 02:52 AM
I picked the concept Rebel Trooper for a couple of reasons. First of all, there is no way that I will vote for a prequel figure against a OT character (even a concept OT character).

I did find this wave at retail this week, and was less than impressed with pretty much all of it. I've been "over" Jango Fett since 2003, and while the Clone Trainee has potential, I'm more than a little burned out on them.

McTrooper is just awesome to me. He has that same dorky appeal that CZ-4 had. Plus, he kind of reminds me of how silly the vintage Death Squad Commando used to look to me as a kid. It's just such a goofy design I don't see how I can not vote for it (especially when the only other options are Ep2 and EU figures).

Ji'dai
12-23-2007, 04:50 PM
I bought two of the six figures from this wave, Padme and McQuarrie Rebel Trooper. I liked Voolvif as well, but still passed on him. So out of the two I bought, my vote goes to the Rebel Trooper. He's my least favorite concept figure too.

The rest of the wave was an easy pass. I'm sick and tired of Jango and his Clones and I absolutely despise battle droids in any form.

timmae
12-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I bought two of the six figures from this wave, Padme and McQuarrie Rebel Trooper. I liked Voolvif as well, but still passed on him. So out of the two I bought, my vote goes to the Rebel Trooper. He's my least favorite concept figure too.

The rest of the wave was an easy pass. I'm sick and tired of Jango and his Clones and I absolutely despise battle droids in any form.

i voted for padme too, but will only buy her and the mctrooper if i see them. glad the mcquarries are over though.

JediTricks
12-24-2007, 06:02 AM
My vote's going to Jango even though he's the only one I still am looking for from all of '07 (I'm not looking hard right now, got some real-life stuff taking over for SW collecting this last 2 weeks). But Jango looks pretty much like what we wanted, and has a decent amount of removable gear.

Jango Fett: A much-needed version to be sure (it almost got my vote), but I wish he was completely casual w/o the fixed shin guards and kneepads.Uhhh... http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/TAC/TAC57jangoN1.jpg

Wow these polls went by blindingly fast.

So here's the last chance to vote on these. Then maybe battle packs and vehicles next....JT?Yeah, in a way these polls ruined my December by chewing it into 3-day bite-sized pieces. :p The next poll is the winners' poll, then I'm thinking a losers' poll, then January is pretty doing the VTAC and other non-basic figures I guess, as that's been the big request. We haven't had enough vehicles in '07 to bother with a poll though, the AT-AP and Grievous Starfighter didn't hit shelves in time unfortunately (despite being scheduled to).

jedi master sal
12-24-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, in a way these polls ruined my December by chewing it into 3-day bite-sized pieces. :p

All you needed to do was ask JT. I could have easily set them up.

If you need/want help with the others, LMK.

-Sal

jedibear
12-24-2007, 05:05 PM
So the stuff does come off...well, I've never like forcing parts off a figure...they were on there good. I stand corrected (a lot it seems...maybe I should just shut up... :))

Jaff
12-24-2007, 10:38 PM
Here's what I picked

1. Jango Fett - I just wanted an appartment Jango, and he has a nuetral pose to boot. I never thought they would make this one.
2. Fireside Padme - Yeah, she's just a statue, but she looks fine. She's nothing to scream about, but nothing to shun either.
3. Clone (training) - He might have won this wave as the best if he could sit for diorama's, or didn't have a bad pose.
4. Concept Trooper - He is one of my least favorite of the Mcquarries, but he looks fine, despite his weirdness factor.
5. Destroyer Droid - Stupid figure. You can't even see the figure through the shield, nor is the shield tall enough. The droid is fine, but if I wanted the droid I would have bought a legends figure, however I never buy legends because I don't want to encourage their production since they hog shelf space.
6. Volviff - Sorry, he's EU, and therefore I would never be interested in this one.

JediTricks
12-25-2007, 02:46 AM
All you needed to do was ask JT. I could have easily set them up.

If you need/want help with the others, LMK.

-SalI didn't mean the work exactly, I just meant that pattern. The month feels a lot shorter that way.

So the stuff does come off...well, I've never like forcing parts off a figure...they were on there good. I stand corrected (a lot it seems...maybe I should just shut up... :))But learning is fun, AND KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!

Kidhuman
12-25-2007, 07:00 AM
School House Rock Polls coming next week. ;)

obi-dad
12-25-2007, 09:07 AM
School House Rock Polls coming next week. ;)

1. I went with Conjunction Junction since the tune is just catchy, BUT, there wasn't as much to learn in this song AND there weren't many conjunctions in the song OR maybe there just aren't that many anyway.

2. I'm Just a Bill - learned a lot in this song and liked the cute Bill singing on the steps of DC.

3. The Preamble - again, this is how I learned the preamble of the Constitution and sung it to myself while taking a test. At least I got the words right for that part of the test.

:pleased: just couldn't resist.

jedi master sal
12-25-2007, 03:36 PM
I still have yet to see the McRebel. Even still, I just don't like the clam shell design of his helmet.

As for School House Rocks, I like Conjunction Junction, I'm just a Bill, Shot heard round the world ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VQA5NDNkUM ), and Mother Necessity ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8wuGRlRZqk ), oh and of course Electricity ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5Vwxabb12s ).

Those were some GREAT cartoons. We learned without knowing it was learning. I still remember many of the lyrics of those songs.

obi-dad
12-25-2007, 04:26 PM
Totally forgot about Electricity (started singing it in my head when I read Sal's post). Shot heard round the world is another good learning one. I seem to like the ones where I learnt sumthin or the tune was catchy (My here zero) and I know there were other catchy numerical ones. Almost looked them up on the net, but too lazy today. I have the dvd at home, but haven't pulled it out in quite awhile.

On that other topic, SW related, I have to agree. I don't like the clam shell design that McQuarrie did, so I'm not a huge fan of this figure, though it is faithful to the original artwork. This is still the only McQuarrie figure I don't have, so I have to get it.

Kidhuman
12-25-2007, 06:33 PM
Wow, I totally forgot about electricity. I was thinking Conjunction Junction and I'm just a bill

Mad Slanted Powers
12-25-2007, 11:05 PM
I liked the one about the "Shot heard around the world".

bigbarada
12-26-2007, 12:33 AM
then January is pretty doing the VTAC and other non-basic figures I guess, as that's been the big request.

We need to do a poll for the VTAC figures if nothing else if we are really going to crown one figure the best of 2007. As you might guess, my vote for the best figure of 2007 goes to one of the VTAC figures.

JediTricks
12-27-2007, 02:22 AM
A lot of people don't like the Concept Rebel's helmet design, but if you think about it, an extension of that is what we got with the REAL troopers in the movie.

Tycho
12-28-2007, 03:41 PM
A lot of people don't like the Concept Rebel's helmet design, but if you think about it, an extension of that is what we got with the REAL troopers in the movie.

It was more like a "subtraction" of that, JT :D