PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of TAC - winners showdown

JediTricks
12-27-2007, 04:28 PM
The big showdown of the past 9 waves is finally here as the "best figure of 2007" poll series finishes off the month of December by asking...

Which figure do you consider the best of the best from TAC (30th Anniversary Collection) basic figures?

All of December you've voted to get us to this point, choosing which figure was the best out of each wave so that we could pit them against each other and see who would come out as the top figure of 2007. Some of the polls were quite contentious while others were pure landslides, but now it's up to you to crown one of the line's 60 figures as the best.

Here's a recap of each wave's winners, along with the percentage by which they won that round:
Wave 1 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36628) - Galactic Marine (40%)
Wave 2 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36644) - Concept Boba Fett (68%)
Wave 3 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36669) - Jawa & LIN Droid (32%)
Wave 4 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36707) - CZ-4 (39%)
Wave 5 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36728) - Hermi Odle (47%)
Wave 6 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36759) - Concept Snowtrooper (53%)
Wave 7 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36795) - Ewoks: Romba & Graak (35%)
Wave 7.5 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36816) - Pax Bonkik (32%)
Wave 8 (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36817) - Concept Rebel Trooper (32%)Which figure will reign supreme???

Please keep in mind, you must be logged into the forums to vote.

El Chuxter
12-27-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm still missing most of the last three waves, and don't have my McFett, McSolo, and McSnowie in hand yet. :(

Should I just go ahead and vote for the Jawa anyway? Decisions, decisions.

I saw (and, stupidly, passed on) Pax Bonkik, and he's nothing special. CZ-4 is awesome, but the Jawa is better. Jawa and Hermi are pretty equal, and Jawas are inherently cooler than all other non-Teek races. The Galactic Marine was featured in a donkey show in Tijuana, it sucks so bad.

How long will this run for? Maybe I can score the 'Woks in that time.

JediTricks
12-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Like the last poll, it'll run 6 days ending the day after new year's (I liked the symmetry of that, it fit well).

I do know what you mean though, I had a tough time voting in wave 8 because my choice ultimately was a figure I kinda liked vs a figure that I didn't have but could see from photos and word of mouth I was going to like. I eventually went with the figure I didn't have, but it was a thin margin in my mind.

jedi master sal
12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
wow the end is here....

Now who to pick?

Here's my breakdown of each:
Galactic Marine-excellent figure. Sometimes hard to stand for some people. Only thing I don't like is that the "skirt" gets in the way. Otherwise the dirt on each isn't uniform so they all appear just a shade different which is excellent. If I had a vote for best Army builder, this would be it.
Concept Boba Fett-Fantastic design. nice that both helmets were put in. Drawback was that weird stomach flap that doesn't stay on if you remove the plastic band. Prolly wins the award for best McQ fig, with the Snowtrooper a close second.
Jawa & LIN Droid-whoo hoo an SA Jawa and a new droid to boot. Very good choice here. Not sure if he'll be the best, but he's the best denizen of the SW galaxy for 2007, IMO.
CZ-4-great new droid. he just suffers from not being terribly important. Good background droid, but otherwise ho-hum to me.
Hermi Odle-Best BIG fig of the year without a doubt. Sculpt is good, soft goods make sense for him. If the color for him was better he'd make the cut.
Concept Snowtrooper-Best McQ Army builder. I was only going to get 2 of each McQ fig, but I ended up getting 7 of this one. Really cool. The helmet is weird, but I'm fine with it. I'm using one of these figs as a Cold Weather Gear AT-ST driver!
Ewoks: Romba & Graak-Excellent Ewoks! sculpt is good, articulation is even better than Chirpa. THESE are the Ewoks we were looking for.
Pax Bonkik-Decent repaint. He too suffers from not being terribly exciting though.
Concept Rebel Trooper-bleh, I don't have this one yet. I'm not a fan of the helmet, but I suppose without that, he has some custom potential.

So now to it, which one is my top pick???

Well of these I really like the Galactic Marine, Concept Boba Fett, Jawa & LIN Droid, Concept Snowtrooper, Ewoks: Romba & Graak.

I'll have to eliminate the Ewoks. While good they don't stack up to the rest. Neither does the Jawa/LIN droid combo. Though it's great value having two figs on card (thanks Hasbro!).

But for that Spaceball helmet I'd go for the McSnowtrooper, but he's got to go.

So is it McFett or the Marine????
Decisions decisions.

Based on pure play value the Marine has it. based on coolness McFett has it. Ultimately I have to go with the one that I really wanted more and that's the Marine. While the McQ line was a fantastic subline this year it could have waited and I wouldn't have been upset. The Galactic Marine was one of the last true army builders needed from ROTS. I have at least 2 dozen of them, so my wallet speaks here too.

So the Marine it is! Semper Fi

special thanks to JT for taking my idea for these polls and running with it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-27-2007, 06:00 PM
I chose Hermi Odle, who wasn't a fantastic figure, but I think was the best of this selected bunch.

Tycho
12-27-2007, 06:08 PM
I voted for the Ewoks.

You get 2 in one package and Herme Odle's paint wasn't as great as I'd hoped.

I'm surprised that in the end I didn't vote for one of our massive SSG poll winners, but I think Romba got listed on Kidhuman's polling outcome, so that's not entirely inaccurate.

The Galactic Marine is awesome, but alas he's only one figure.

sebillba
12-27-2007, 06:29 PM
I'm sure I'll be on my own here, but I voted for Pax. Ok, he's only a repaint, but a repaint of my favourite figure ever, and none of my real favourites of the year made the final.

jedibear
12-27-2007, 08:34 PM
I went with Herme...he's a figure I've wanted for a long time and I think they did a great job with him.

Kidhuman
12-27-2007, 09:28 PM
Galactic Marine - great figure to start the year of with.
Concept Boba Fett - The 2nd best of the McQ line here.
Jawa & LIN Droid - I was going to pass on this figure and ended up getting 3 of them.
CZ-4 - meh on this figure. Greatest of the wave, but not the year
Hermi Odle - Awesome, great looking figure and HUGE also.
Concept Snowtrooper - A superb figure hands down. I hunted many of these down and got 7 of them also.
Ewoks: Romba & Graak - Great value, 2 for one in the package and great to have Ewoks back on the menu
Pax Bonkik - A nicely done figure for a repaint.
Concept Rebel Trooper - Least favorite out of the McQ figs.

My vote goes to Concept Snowtrooper

Neuroleptic
12-28-2007, 12:19 AM
I went with CZ-4. I just felt it was such an interesting figure that I simply HAD to vote for him, even if he dosn't have a snowball's chance in he11 of winning.

figrin bran
12-28-2007, 01:37 AM
I'm still debating who to vote for...

I do have at least 20 Galactic Marines though...and if I go by Sal's line of reasoning, although it was great to see McQuarrie Fett made as a figure, not having it in the line is not as great a loss for me as would be not having the Galactic Marine figure in the line.

Desfiy
12-28-2007, 02:29 AM
I voted Ewoks simple fact, I love Ewoks there I said it.

Cane_Adiss
12-28-2007, 10:03 AM
This particular poll wasn't that tough for me. I just had to decide between Hermi Odle and CZ-4. Hermi Odle was a figure I thought we wouldn't see for a looong time because of his size and the past issues with Ephant Mon. He was a little more colorful than he was in the movie, but I didn't really mind much. At least now we have him!

CZ-4 was a figure I wasn't as excited about when it was announced that he was coming out. I just thought to myself "it's about time Hasbro did that one". Well I'm glad they did because he is probably my favorite droid figure ever besides the new 4-Lom. He turned out fantastic.

Ultimately my vote went too Hermi Odle. He is really nicely done, great sculpt, great paint apps (if not the most movie authentic), suprising amount of articulation and a great stiff weapon for once. The soft goods I'm a little worried will fall apart over time but they are also very neat. Plus he's a Jabba's palace alien, and I'm a sucker for aliens.

DarthBrandon
12-28-2007, 11:39 AM
I Voted for Hermi, best figure of the year; hands down. Boba is running a close 2nd IMHO.

Sinscia Fat'o
12-28-2007, 11:40 AM
Not really a hard choice for me.

Ewoks...Blah, i hate ewoks even though these were great figures.

Pax...He's no Greedo :)

Concept Rebel Trooper...Hated the helmet and still have not found him.

Hermi...If the paint apps. were better then he would have nailed it.

Galactic Marine...if he had soft goods...he would have been a contender for me as well.

CZ-4...if he just wasn't blah....I love the figure and really he is the best figure they made this year, just no coolness factor.

Jawa...If he had soft goods cloak like vintage jawa....then wow! This figure would have been good.

Mc Fett....If i didn't have this figure i would have been heart broken, so yeah this to me is the definitive figure of the line this year. Gotta give me nod to Mc Fett.

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 02:28 AM
I can't say I'm entirely surprised by the current direction this poll is taking, but I wonder if it'll hold this way. Any of the 3 frontrunners could easily get overtaken by another at this point, and it looks like everybody has a different opinion on the choices in this poll.

Jaff
12-29-2007, 02:34 AM
I picked Hermi, he was long overdue, and I had waited for him for years. Now I'm waiting for Tonnika sisters, and some Bespin citizens.

mark2d2
12-29-2007, 03:16 AM
I totally went with the Jawa and LIN-V8K two pack. The best Jawa to date and a droid I had been dreaming about ever since R1-G4 came out. This winning combo just barely beat out CZ-4 --- another long awaited droid who truly delivered.

Hmmmm, the ongoing outpouring of love for Hermi surprises me. He is so ugly and I barely know who he is. . .

obi-dad
12-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Galactic Marine - If Hasbro never makes another clonetrooper, there will be no tears shed from me. I was surprised when looking through my collection that I actually bought one. Must have been a week moment.
Concept Boba Fett - One of the best of the McQarrie figures.
Jawa & LIN Droid - I have waited for this LIN droid since R1 came out... now if Hasbro will just make the treadmill droid... for some reason I can't remember the name of it now. I bought 2 of these figures.
CZ-4 - I love this figure... just not crazy about the paint job. I bought 3.
Hermi Odle - Awesome, only wish I hadn't read everything in the forums or I may have never noticed his paint job was off. Love the soft goods... probably #2 for me
Concept Snowtrooper - Good figure, just never was that crazy about the original artwork on this one.
Ewoks: Romba & Graak - 2 for the price of 1 and the best ewok sculpts and paint jobs ever! Only thing I don't like about these and Chief Chirpa... I can no longer put my vintage ewoks in the brackground. Between the size difference and mainly quality... they just no longer fit in at all.
Pax Bonkik - I agree... a nicely done figure for a repaint. Still haven't found it though, but will eventually buy it.
Concept Rebel Trooper - Also, my least favorite out of the McQ figs. Still haven't found him and not too heartbroken about it. Will be if I never do, though- gotta complete my McQuarrie collection

Ewoks gets my vote

Snowtrooper
12-30-2007, 08:05 PM
It comes down to the Galactic Marine and McQuarrie Snowtrooper. Both are great figures in terms of sculpt, paint, articulation, etc. But I give the edge to McSnowtrooper even though GM was one figure that I really wanted to see made. Its something I had never seen before and was really surprised me once I got my hands on it(I wan't to impressed with early pictures I saw). I guess its the unique look that I really like. Its one of those love it/hate it sort of figures.

Final Rankings:

1. McQuarrie Snowtrooper
2. Galactic Marine
3. CZ-4
4. Hermi Odle
5. McQuarrie Boba Fett
6. Jawa with LIN droid
7. Ewoks
8. McQuarrie Rebel Trooper
9. Pax Bonkik

Mad Slanted Powers
12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
I went with Concept Boba Fett.

Galactic Marine had standing issues.

I don't like the look of the other two concept figures in the poll.

Pax was good, but just a repaint of VTSC Greedo with a different vest.

Hermi was impressive with his size and sculpt, but to me his size kind of limits his mobility.

I don't have the Ewoks yet, but the pictures I've seen indicate these are the best Ewoks ever made.

CZ-4 has great articulation compared to past human-form droids.

The Jawa was a nice update with a cool new droid to go with it.

Concept Fett probably wasn't my favorite of the line. I think I liked Concept Starkiller better. Out of this bunch though, it beats out the Jawa, CZ-4 and the Ewoks.

El Chuxter
12-30-2007, 09:24 PM
I got the Ewoks today, and, wow. Wow. The only things that are worthy of beating Jawas in any contest did indeed do so. (Well, there wasn't a Teek figure, who is the only creature who could beat both a Jawa and two Ewoks.)

bigbarada
12-31-2007, 12:26 AM
For me the choice boiled down to Hermi, Concept Boba and the Ewoks.

Although my choice for best TAC figure of 2007 didn't even make it to this poll, so I picked the second-best figures from that wave and voted for the Ewoks.

McFett was cool and it was notable for getting people excited about collecting again (I can't remember this much scalping and speculation about a figure since the 1999 Ep1 Darth Maul). Plus, he's a landmark figure for the Star Wars line, one that will be remembered and sought after 20 years from now. It was just a matter of minor annoyances with the figure itself that kept me from voting for him.

Hermi, a very, very good figure, but it's just missing something to push him to that Ephant Mon level of greatness. I think Hasbro was too worried that he wouldn't be appealing to kids, so they softened up his disgusting factor; but I think that ultimately hurt the overall figure.

Ji'dai
12-31-2007, 01:40 PM
I voted for Hermi Odle. Although not quite the drooling meat-sack seen in the film, he best represents the type of figure that I prefer to collect these days: new sculpts of obscure OT background characters. What can I say, size does matter - large figures impress me. Hermi's colossal brethren Ephant Mon and Graxol Kelvyyn will always have a spot in my displays.

I bought 7 of the 9 poll-winning figures; the only two I passed on were Galactic Marine and Pax Bonkik.

My non-Hermi favorites out of the bunch are Concept Fett, Snowtrooper, and the Ewoks.

JediTricks
12-31-2007, 05:00 PM
Although my choice for best TAC figure of 2007 didn't even make it to this poll, so I picked the second-best figures from that wave and voted for the Ewoks.So which was your choice then? I haven't heard a lot of this type of thing in this poll (yet?), but I figured there were a trio of waves' polls that were close enough to cause this sort of thing eventually.

bigbarada
12-31-2007, 05:05 PM
So which was your choice then? I haven't heard a lot of this type of thing in this poll (yet?), but I figured there were a trio of waves' polls that were close enough to cause this sort of thing eventually.

I would have picked Tycho Celchu for best TAC figure of 2007. Not the best figure of 2007 mind you, but the best figure from the standard TAC line.

Tycho
12-31-2007, 05:21 PM
I liked many of the winning choices. They were some of the figures I cared most about.

I was slightly surprised that my final choice came down to the Ewoks. They did not rank on my Scene-By-Scene poll, but I believe Romba did make Kidhuman's and was one of the 15 figures our results differed by (out of 50 total, or 36 matching).

I know I voted for an Ewok in my Ewok sub-group in my poll, but it was likely Chief Chirpa or Paploo as a priority for me over Romba.

The Galactic Marine and Herme Odle were both figures I was very happy about. But 2 Ewoks is a value (repeating myself, I know) and Herme's paint choices weren't movie authentic.

CZ-4 was great to get, just not as exciting. But very necessary to be sure!

The LIN Droid should have been a little bit larger. Otherwise I was very glad to get it.

A huge disappointment was how bad the Han Solo Bespin Torture figure was. The chair was pretty decent - still could have been slightly more scarier. But Han's figure was so disproportionate THAT was scary!

I know he didn't rank to be voted on as a finalist, but my disillusionment with him is worth mentioning.

Also Lando Smuggler would have been easy to offer with much of the existing stuff that's already been tooled. A CommTech Han vest would have been so simple....grrrrrrr.

JediTricks
12-31-2007, 05:46 PM
I would have picked Tycho Celchu for best TAC figure of 2007. Not the best figure of 2007 mind you, but the best figure from the standard TAC line.
Ah, ok, that makes sense, that was the tightest race in the whole series as just 3 figures garnered 93% of the vote and they split it 3 ways with just 5 votes separating them.

jedi master sal
01-07-2008, 12:26 PM
Ah well the polls are over and the winner crowned. I'm not at all surprised who made the top 3 and ultimately who won.

Thanks to all who participated and again thanks to JT for running the polls.

bigbarada
01-07-2008, 12:40 PM
It's not over yet, we haven't even gotten to the GOOD figures yet. I'm waiting for the VTAC poll.

Since there're are only 6 figures in that assortment, we could run the "best of" and "worst of" at the same time. Both polls would list all six action figures and we'd just have to hope that one figure doesn't win both best and worst.:)

JediTricks
01-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I was kinda hunting for what would be next, Vintage-style seemed to make sense. I don't think we need to bother with "worst of" for the other stuff, but besides Vintage, what polls should come next? Any and all suggestions appreciated. Be specific as possible, for example, would a comics 2packs poll be about which pack is best or which individual figure is best?

Kidhuman
01-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Vehicles? Exclusives?

JediTricks
01-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Vehicles is a toughy because there were only 2 new vehicles released in '07, the rest were repaints. Basically, it'd be:
V-wing Starfighter - 100%
Sith Infiltrator - 0%

Exclusives might be better, as there were a metric ton of them, but with so many battlepacks and vehicles and figures, will it seem unbalanced?

Kidhuman
01-09-2008, 01:37 AM
I dont think so, you could break it down like this:

Order 66 packs
Battle Packs
Vehicles
Tin Sets(technically 07)
etc....

bigbarada
01-09-2008, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I was kinda hunting for what would be next, Vintage-style seemed to make sense. I don't think we need to bother with "worst of" for the other stuff, but besides Vintage, what polls should come next? Any and all suggestions appreciated. Be specific as possible, for example, would a comics 2packs poll be about which pack is best or which individual figure is best?

For the comic packs, I think the easiest thing to do would be voting for the overall package. Voting for individual figures would just take too long.

I never saw the Order 66 packs and the Battle Packs are about 99% rehashes. I could see voting for the "overall package" with the BPs, but then would we do best Unleashed BP, best Transformer, best Galactic Hero set? Where would it end?

TAC, VTAC and Comic 2-packs, that should be it since those have the highest percentage of all-new figures.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-09-2008, 01:55 AM
You could just take the figures from the battle packs that are new in some way. I think that is the way it was done in our all time wave by wave poll thread.

Snowtrooper
01-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Vehicles is a toughy because there were only 2 new vehicles released in '07, the rest were repaints. Basically, it'd be:
V-wing Starfighter - 100%
Sith Infiltrator - 0%

Exclusives might be better, as there were a metric ton of them, but with so many battlepacks and vehicles and figures, will it seem unbalanced?

Would it work to include the repaints in the poll and have everybody vote for their three favorites? It might make it a little more interesting. I liked a few of the repaints well enough buy to some.

JediTricks
01-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I dunno if there'd be enough interest in a poll consisting largely of repainted vehicles, but if you want to try to convince me, I'll be open to listening.

Any other ideas??? Gonna need to do another poll in 6 days.

Kidhuman
01-21-2008, 10:22 PM
We could try the GH figs, I dont know if there is much of a following on them to warrant it though.

JediTricks
01-22-2008, 02:28 AM
I'd like to keep it in the "3 3/4-inch system" as Hasbro calls it, since that is the big enchilada.

Tycho
01-22-2008, 05:40 AM
Then let's vote for our favorite kind of enchilada!

X Cheese
X Beans
X Beef
X Chicken

Are there fish or shrimp enchiladas?

sebillba
01-22-2008, 11:04 AM
Any other ideas??? Gonna need to do another poll in 6 days.

Seeing how popular the McQuarrie figures have been, it would be nice to vote on the others, ie, Luke, 3-PO, R2, Obi and Yoda. Numbers could be made up by the other exclusives, Concept Grievous, Shadow Scout, R2-KT, and maybe the repainted Cantina Band Member. (I'm just going by RS's list of exclusives, maybe there are others?)

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Seeing how popular the McQuarrie figures have been, it would be nice to vote on the others, ie, Luke, 3-PO, R2, Obi and Yoda. Numbers could be made up by the other exclusives, Concept Grievous, Shadow Scout, R2-KT, and maybe the repainted Cantina Band Member. (I'm just going by RS's list of exclusives, maybe there are others?)
Good idea! Thanks Sebillba, I'll put it up right now since it's 3 days in (I like to have that 3 day pacing).

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 08:38 PM
Ok, poll is up. That'll take us into Jan 30th, perhaps when that poll is done we should run all the winners and runners-up against each other in Basic, Vintage, Comics, and Exclusives.

CropDuster
02-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Hermi Odle? Wasn't that the elf that wanted to be a dentist?:D