PDA

View Full Version : If you would've known, would you do it again?

stillakid
12-28-2007, 08:52 PM
Some of us are old enough that we started "collecting" Star Wars toys and other things before there was such a thing as "collecting them." We just got 'em to play with 'em. :pleased:

But then we got older and all of those toys went into boxes as we finished High School, went off to college, started careers, got married, had kids.... :cool:

...and then it started again. It began with a couple of innocent enough looking Galoob miniature Star Wars toys. Seeing Star Wars in theaters again was amazing, but there was something about being able to buy actual toys again that somehow transcended that. :love:

And then came the He-Man Star Wars figures. Just a few at first. I really only "figured" they make some of the main heroes and that would be it. So I bought 'em. I pulled out the vintage Cantina set from Kenner and displayed the first few. Then more came and the Cantina got crowded so some of the figures got put in a shoebox... :eek:

...fast-forward a few years and that small innocent restart of collecting has become enough to fill a $100/month storage room. I lost count a couple years ago, but I easily have over a thousand action figures with just about all the vehicles, playsets, beasts and accessories Hasbro has sold. Not to mention various non-toy items that caught my eye for one reason or another. :greedy:

I seriously had no idea that Hasbro would continue making the figures beyond the those first few. I just kept getting them because...well, because they kept making them! :yes:

I do enjoy finding things to this day even though most of it remains out of site, at least for the time being. But the question did occur to me today, "Would I have started collecting all this sh** again had I known just how much Hasbro would wind up making and how much I'd wind up buying?" I honestly don't know. I can't imagine not collecting these things, but then again, knowing the full extent and the costs.... I'm not sure. :ermm:

What about you? :sur:

Kidhuman
12-28-2007, 09:06 PM
I am unsure if I would collect knowing it would be a 25 year venture(if it goes to 2018). I like you thought there would be a few figures, a tribute run of sorts, not knowing I would be doing it 13 years later(yes 95-08 is 3 years). Most of my collection is out of site, but I dont pay storage for it, I have an extra closet to keep them in.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
In a word: yes. I'd have thought I could remain a completist, then realized that it would require too much room and not enough space, but I'd have done it in a heartbeat. Despite the recent reduction in quality, increase in prices, and decrease in availbility, I still would have done it.

pegger
12-28-2007, 09:35 PM
I say yes - but I wouldn't have been a completionist. I started collecting because of the memories more than anything. I still have them - and enjoy collecting - but the repacks are and resculpts are driving me nuts (especially since I'm a loose collector)

LusiferSam
12-28-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm incline to say to no. The reason I started to collect the POTF2 figures is because I didn't have a way of buying the vintage figures. I've always been more interested in the vintage line. But living in a small cow town in the middle of nowhere it was hard, if not impossible to find the stuff. But the modern was easy to buy. So I bought it as a substitute. Once I discovered eBay that changed. I bought both as I liked the two different lines. However my mind changed as the modern line evolved. I didn't like the toys as much, they were becoming hard to find, and it simply wasn't money I wanted to be spending any more. So I stop collecting the modern line in the fall of 02 (wow! five years ago). I still like most of the figures I bought, but I like the vintage better. They take up space I might put to other uses. And I spend more money on them then I want to think about. So knowing that I would be able to buy the vintage line and would get sick of the modern line, I wouldn't have start collecting back in 1995. But had I not started collecting the modern line I never would have come to this site and won't be writing this post.

mabudonicus
12-28-2007, 10:15 PM
Odd question for sure, I don't usually have to think quite so much about a post :D

But definitely a good one!! Okay- yeah, I starterd "collecting" them with a more "I could use a few more guys" approach- I never dreamed of having the ALL but I wanted certain ones, and was happy to accept random ones as gifts etc.

I have an odd feeling that being sucked back in was some kind of inevitable- I can't remember what I was interested in at the time, but I recall going to the local TRU and seeing the orange POTF2 blisters in a pretty large wall section. I kinda thought "Hey, neat- used to LOVE SW figures!!"
Looked at them, thought they were cool and walked on, focussing on the "used to"

After seeing them a few times something snapped. I HAD to have that nice accurate C3P0, he loooked SO mcuh better than the vintage one in so many ways, PLUS it's 3P0 and I could just make him a "buddy" figure, not needing anymore

Subesquent waves just got me HOOKED- the careful timing of all-new figures etc was TOTALLY working on me- I'd get the one "never before produced" fig, then keep going back tocheck for new ones fairly often- having the bread for a new fig and seeing nothng but stuff I'd already passed on, I'd pick the "next best" one- after a few weeks I'd have bought the whole wave and be ready for the next, and so it continued...

I finally broke my completism-ness in like 2001- this year I think I bought 10 figures or so, just a couple must-haves and a clone or four
:beard: Iso & Baws
I kinda feel sorry for completists nowadays

Mad Slanted Powers
12-28-2007, 10:45 PM
I didn't start collecting until 1999, so they had already made quite a few figures and I figured they would be making plenty more as long as there were movies. I don't know if I thought too much about the possibility of resculpts and repacks at the time. I think in a way I was hoping for them, because originally I had decided it would be too hard to try and get all the POTF2 figures I had missed. However, after only a couple months of collecting, I discovered a place that had a lot of them. So, between that place, KB clearance, Brian's Toys, and using the Action Figure Archive as my guide, I was able to get caught up.

Now that I have a lot of Tatooine Lukes, ANH Hans, C-3POs and R2s, I realize I probably don't need every one. There was another thread about what would happen if you lost your collection. If I had to start over, I would certainly try if I could afford to, but I would pick and choose which versions to get rather than try to buy everything. I probably wouldn't get too many POTF2 figures as superior versions of most of them have been released since then. At this point, I don't really regret getting them because it is like having my own personal Action Figure Archive. So no need to feel sorry for completists, unless they are carded completists. That would be harder to justify when you are getting many of the same figures over and over.

Slicker
12-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I would definitely do it again. I too have a storage garage but mines a bit cheaper at only $85 a month.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Your interwebs are broken. You need to have the tubes realigned.

Neuroleptic
12-29-2007, 12:10 AM
I would have done it, but I would have saved a ton of money by not collecting until farther along in the line.

Possibly as late as ROTS since that is when the more atriculate and detailed figures started coming out, and since I sold off a huge chunk of my collection to focus on biulding two small armies (Stormtroopers and clones). I didn't make near the money I spent on it back in the sale, but I don't have it cluttering up my storage wich now gose toward more useful things like model kit and art supplies. Instead, Id have saved aaaaaall that cash and spent it on vintage figures wich are my first and true love.

And I wouldn't have bought the Decipher CCG cards at all if I had known the line would die out of greed from lucas films licensing department wanting to sell a ccg in big box stores instead of the comic book shops. I'd have spent this money on art supplies and model kits instead.

I also would probably not have bought so many books, since I had to read them to be sure weather I liked them or not. I did however stop buying novels for the most part by the late 90s since I hated the Rouge Squadron series, and. SOTE, After I decided not to buy more books, someone gave me a new jedi order book wich I absolutly hated and finaly got 'round to burning for kenneling during the big ice storm we had here in Kansas this year. Made me feel happy about my desision.

Though, on a leep of faith, I bought the first in the series for the New Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss, and loved it. I buy them the moment I find them on the shelves (3 books so far). Money well spent. For the most part they are a good read. Id have spent (probably around 50 dollars) the money on art books instead.

Just the same, I'm not about to hash out the money they are asking for the mando kits to get the four Commando solders from Omega squadron. If the 4 of them alone came in a kit, I'd buy it. But it's just not worth paying the extera bucks for the mando's since I have no use for them whatsover in my (now thankfully small) collection.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-29-2007, 12:16 AM
And I wouldn't have bought the Decipher CCG cards at all if I had known the line would die out of greed from lucas films licensing department wanting to sell a ccg in big box stores instead of the comic book shops. I'd have spent this money on art supplies and model kits instead.Yeah, I started collecting the Decipher CCG cards about the time they were discontinued. You could still find them for quite a while. I'd still like to complete the collection someday and get rid of all the extras since I'm not likely to ever actually play the game.

CaptainSolo1138
12-29-2007, 12:39 AM
Good call on the Decipher cards. Slicker and I pumped hundreds (thousands?) of dollars into those things and I'm not sure either of us even knew anything but the basics about the actual game itself. A true "thrill of the hunt" type thing it was.

If I could do it again I don't think I'd bother. I like my little plastic men, but they're just knick knacks that occupy space on a shelf. I haven't put anything new on said shelf in almost exactly a year, either.

El Chuxter
12-29-2007, 12:54 AM
No........

JediTricks
12-29-2007, 04:48 AM
I absolutely would have been into it, but I would have been WAAAAAAAY more selective from day 1 and I certainly wouldn't have bought so much f'ing trade bait and army builders nobody ended up wanting a few years later. I would have still bought some bad idea figs like Luke Pilot '96 but mostly just to hang out with the Snowspeeder. I find collecting mostly satisfying on the whole.

On the Galoob angle, I would have invested more heavily in the Action Fleet final 3. :p The rest I feel I made good choices on.

jjreason
12-29-2007, 06:43 AM
Emotionally I still love the stuff, so "yes". Financially I still hate the stuff, so "no".

Love beats money every time, so "yes". :D

jedi master sal
12-29-2007, 09:44 AM
If I had the foresight to know what was coming out for ten years then most likely I would have been VERY selective. My problem is army building. I've always been one, even when I was a kid back i the 70s and 80s. Not to the degree I am now of course, but it wasn't unheard of for me to have 10 or more of a troop type figure.

Now while we have updates all the time on the net and can "see" what figs we are getting, I like many still have a hard time saying no to otherwise poorly done figures, be that from sculpt, articulation, etc.

So, had I a choice, I'd have to say NO. I wouldn't collect this stuff. To be quite honest, it has hampered other facets of my life. I'm thankful to have a tolerant fiancee who actually even likes that I collect. However, while she has good intentions with that, it empowered me to buy more and more to the point that even after being together 10 years, we STILL don't have a house. With all the money I've spent on SW, we could easily have afforded a very nice house.

Thankfully, I made some strides at collecting this year. Meaning, I decided NOT to buy certain things. Next year sees me collecting even less, in an effort to wean myself from it, save money, etc.

I'll always love SW, but "I'm getting too old for this sort of thing," have no room for it and am getting rather tired of storing it all away. I want to enjoy this stuff, no pack it away in "hopes" that someday I will be able to display it.

That's why I can firmly say NO, I wouldn't collect again if could have a do-over.

-Sal

Rocketboy
12-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Oh Hell no.
I have storage tubs full of SW crap that I wasted money on and I'm stuck with.
I'd just pick up a handful of my favorites.

2-1B
12-29-2007, 12:14 PM
I sold off the bulk of my stuff last summer and have bought a couple of pieces here and there since the end of the ROTS push...for the most part I'm with Rocketboy, I definitely wouldn't do it again.

I should've just focused on the fast food premium stuff and other promos when the movies were coming out. That way I would have gotten my "fix" that I did as a kid, it would have been a fun way to celebrate the excitement of a new film (the Special Editions as well as the Prequels), and I would have saved a ton of money.

Blue2th
12-29-2007, 01:09 PM
I have mixed feelings about the whole thing.
I enjoyed the hunt and fever-frenzy at the time when figures first started coming out again for POTF2, then Episode 1 and so on and so forth.
I am still enjoying my collection and the evolution of figures being re-done is all part of the process.
I do have to get rid of alot of what I consider figures that are obsolete do to re-sculpts. It came in easier than it's going to go out, and at a lower price than what I paid. Though I realize that's not the reason I bought them in the first place, as an investment.
Still it would be nice to know that some of what I bought would at least hold it's value so when I do get rid of it it's not such a sting financially. Unlike other toys I collected that have quadrupled in value thank goodness, though I couldn't bring myself to sell them just yet anyways. Otherwise I wouldn't have them anymore, and would end up buying them again cause I miss them, at a higher price I might add because of appreciation of value.
I collect to collect, and I can think of alot of things I could have spent my money on that would have been a total waste. Then again I could of spent my money on alot of things that were more worthwhile.
History is doomed to repeat itself in my case so I would probably have done the same knowing what I know now, and probably continue doing so. Though a little wiser.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I'm still doing it, so yes, I'd do it again.

Tycho
12-29-2007, 10:34 PM
Great topic Stillakid.

During the summer of 1994 I broke up with a long-time girlfriend and my father was dying (and did pass) at that time.

My mom told me that all of my stuff was in a storage she had, including this SW stuff. She suggested that maybe I'd like to have a look at it, or sell it and use the money towards my emotional rebound (travel, party, shopping for more adult interest stuff). I'd had nearly everything KENNER had made, as my father made me work for the money to buy it, and I did, so I worked as hard as I could to get nearly ALL of it and kept it as Loose-Mint as possible. It was played with to be sure, but carefully since I'd paid for most of it with my own money.

Well before I even saw it, I was in San Diego (her storage was another county north of me). So I used to like to draw, and I got out a sketchbook and removed two sheets of paper, still attached. I drew a picture of all the KENNER vehicles and playsets in battle dioramas, and I "gave myself" as many of the KENNER figures (read: Stormtroopers mostly) as I wanted to populate my creation. It was a drawing of THE TOYS.

When I got my old stuff, I didn't want to give it up. I looked back on that time with fond memories. No worries about girlfriends or losing a parent.

I started collecting PlayMates Star Trek: The Next Generation action figures out of the same nostalgia (beginning in 1992 however). With that collection, there were only about 10 offered in '92 and it was still a manageable collection by '94. I looked for new Trek figures at Trek conventions, where I also enjoyed seeing the actors and writers for the show. In their dealers' room, in August or September of 1995, I heard KENNER (now owned by Hasbro) was bringing SW back.

I jumped on it. Looking at my picture of the vintage stuff, I realized, that if I kept up with whatever they made, I could create dioramas like I'd drawn in my picture. I bought every stormtrooper I ever sighted from 1995-1997 (about). [This only amounted to about 100 btw] - but I had 5 stormies to back up Vader fighting Obi-Wan and 5 more or so to take on Luke, Han, Leia, and Chewie and the droids.

And so as new figures were made, I kept buying to populate new dioramas. My storage needs now exceed $300 or more per month. I have a trust since my father died, and it's paid directly so I don't know for sure the cost. It might be closer to $500. There are 2 different huge storage units with display cases as well as the 12" stuff and so on, separated mostly into a prequel and sequel storage use.

My goal is to achieve true Nerd-dom and live in a museum of all my dioramas. Honestly, why shouldn't I? Once it's set up, I can leave the expense of storage behind, that's for sure.

BTW - the storage issue only came up because of my brain aneurysm. My uncle thought I was dying - I should have been killed by this actually. So my apartment was cleared. It was over-crowded with stuff, but some really cool mostly OT dioramas were in place. I want to set all that stuff up once again. I never had intended to move out of the apartment until I could afford a house, but it hasn't turned out that way yet. As of now, I am in a newer, nicer apartment, but I don't want to transport a bunch of stuff out of storage over here when it's really still my hope that I can move and buy a large enough place.

Jargo
12-30-2007, 08:47 PM
if I'd have known how much I'd spend and then how I'd lose interest in star wars entirely i certainly wouldn't have bought anything. I'd have stuck with Lego. it makes me feel a bit sick thinking about the amount I've spent on star wars stuff that I now don't want. I feel i have to give it away to stave off guilty feelings.

CaptainSolo1138
12-30-2007, 09:15 PM
OMG! Jargo!:love::love::love:

Tycho
12-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Why don't you want it any more? I can't imagine giving up my seat as "arm chair general" over my dioramas.

JediTricks
12-31-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I may not play with my toys much anymore, but I still get pleasure from seeing them and having them stir my imagination. I wouldn't give that up.

The 'Xir
12-31-2007, 05:57 PM
Didnt read many of the replies so I apologize if this has been brought up, but I think the better question might even be, would I have started collection this much stuff back in 77-78 if I knew how much of this stuff they'd eventually end up making? Now I know that for alot of the young SSG whippersnappers:whip: around here, that would have been impossible; but I think for myself It would have been a definite Yes! Or atleast I might have had my parents buy me somthings that I would have played with, and others that I'd just put away!:greedy:

Now ask me if I would have collected all this stuff If I knew how crappy of a job GL would do on these new movies?... well I'll just leave that one to another thread. :(

stillakid
12-31-2007, 08:55 PM
Now ask me if I would have collected all this stuff If I knew how crappy of a job GL would do on these new movies?... well I'll just leave that one to another thread. :(

Yeah. But you're allowed to discuss it because I'm apparently the ONLY one who didn't like the Prequels. :rolleyes:

Old Fossil
12-31-2007, 09:39 PM
I dunno... I've had so much fun collecting since the line started back again in 1995. I remember thinking, "I'm gonna just buy Vader, and that cool R2 with the third leg, and that'll be it." Twelve years and 800 figures later, well... so much for my initial plans.:laugh: But I do so enjoy looking at 'em on the shelves, and looking at stuff coming up (even if I don't end up buying it), and talking about it with you guys here.

I really, honestly don't think I'd have been into collecting as much as I have if I hadn't had you guys to talk to about it. I don't post nearly as much as some, but there's no one around where I live who I can discuss these little plastic spacemen with, "intelligently." So I get a lot of encouragement from reading all the posts here, which is nice. Collecting "in a vaccuum" is all right, I guess, but I probably would've stopped long ago if I didn't have other collectors here to commiserate with about goals and frustrations regarding this hobby.

If I could have done anything differently, I guess it would have been not panicking and buying stuff at inflated prices on Ebay, in the mistaken assumption that Hasbro would not crank the item out again a couple/three years later (Shuttle Tyderium, Gold Y-Wing, VSTC/Legends Biker Scout, etc.). But then, hindsight's 20/20, as they say, right?

Mad Slanted Powers
12-31-2007, 10:48 PM
I really, honestly don't think I'd have been into collecting as much as I have if I hadn't had you guys to talk to about it. I don't post nearly as much as some, but there's no one around where I live who I can discuss these little plastic spacemen with, "intelligently." So I get a lot of encouragement from reading all the posts here, which is nice. Collecting "in a vaccuum" is all right, I guess, but I probably would've stopped long ago if I didn't have other collectors here to commiserate with about goals and frustrations regarding this hobby.I don't know anyone locally that I can talk figures with either, so it is nice to have people here to discuss all things Star Wars and some other things not Star Wars. I don't mind collecting in a vacuum, but it might have been harder to justify my expenses in one. Now I can point to you all and say, "See, I'm not the only one that collects this stuff, and there are others that spend even more than I do on it. I'm not even the only one my age that collects it."

bigbarada
01-01-2008, 07:34 PM
I absolutely would have been into it, but I would have been WAAAAAAAY more selective from day 1 and I certainly wouldn't have bought so much f'ing trade bait and army builders nobody ended up wanting a few years later. I would have still bought some bad idea figs like Luke Pilot '96 but mostly just to hang out with the Snowspeeder. I find collecting mostly satisfying on the whole.

On the Galoob angle, I would have invested more heavily in the Action Fleet final 3. :p The rest I feel I made good choices on.

My answer was pretty much going to be this. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have felt the need to buy them all and I would never have wasted money on army building figures like the 1995 Stormtrooper or the 1996 TIE Pilot.

Also I would have focused more on building a complete collection of the vintage line. If I had just collected one of each loose vintage figure, beast, vehicle, etc. then I would have saved thousands of dollars over the last 12 years when compared to buying up all the new stuff that has been released since 1995.

Tycho
01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
I'd rather have the modern stuff myself.

It's interesting because

1) If you're really into the vintage '80s, you're likely a TOY FAN (SW to be specific for sure) but still a fan of the nostalgia

2) If you're into OPENING the modern, as I am, you may be really into diorama modeling with the (hoped for) realism of the later figures.

I can't speak for carded collectors or 1-of-everything-loosies.