PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep track?

stillakid
12-30-2007, 03:36 PM
In the old days, Kenner would have a sort of checklist on the back of every figure card (and on some of the vehicles too, I think). That made it fairly easy for kids to keep track of what they had. For better or worse, I still have a couple of my own vintage cardbacks with checkmarks made in pen :eek:.

Clearly there are waaayyyyyyy too many figures now for Hasbro to attempt to do anything like that on the packaging. It would be really great if Hasbro would make an ultimate checklist on their website though (hint hint :lipsrsealed: )....

But since they don't and we have to wait for the next edition of Sansweet's figure guide, I wondered how everyone else keeps track of what they have, what's available, and what they still need. I used to rely on the SSG wave listings, but those haven't been around for a long time. The "sticky" lists on SSG are helpful but not always entirely up to date. It seems the only way to keep track of all of this is to scour the forums, the official site, and just talk to others about what is going on in the release schedule.

So, do you keep a list on your computer to update? Do you print that out and keep track manually? Do you take that list to the store with you? Or maybe you don't use a list and just "wing it." Or do you just go to the store and are happy with whatever you find?

Neuroleptic
12-30-2007, 03:52 PM
I got a simple way.

I don't keep track! I just buy the few stuff I like now and that's that. If I never hear about it I can't want it either, so it's not entierly a big thing for me to know what is comeing out anymore.

Back when I DID try to get everythign (gave that up right around the time green card POTJ came out) I kept a list on my computer and put a * next to the ones I had.

Mad Slanted Powers
12-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Rebelscum's archives are usually the most complete and up-to-date with wave by wave listings. For printing out though, I went to jeditemplearchives.com as I like the style of their checklists. However, those aren't always as up-to-date. Their TAC PDF says it was last updated in March, and it doesn't have #'s for anything after #30. For past years, their checklists are pretty good, though not perfect.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-30-2007, 07:09 PM
I have a running list of items I need that are in stores as well as a list of items that are no longer in stores, which I compiled a few years ago based on the aforementioned Sansweet book and online archives; it gets updated when items on my "in-store" list are gone and were not picked up by me.

I don't keep track of what I do have, since I can remember that pretty easily.

jjreason
12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
When I was a kid it was the cardbacks - though sadly I don't have any of mine from that era. I've been keeping track one way or another since 1995, a lot of the time with pen & paper lists.

Over the past few years I've been updating a thread here to discuss what's coming to Canada and what's not - I usually have a pretty complete 3.75" checklist in there year by year that I can use.

Over the past couple of months I compiled a list of stuff for insurance purposes and I keep it in a file on my computer. In order to compile this I used my figures in conjunction with the RS photo archives, and was pleased to find that my old paper lists were accurate.

Kidhuman
12-30-2007, 07:29 PM
I use spreadsheets to keep track of everthing. The only downside is sometimes I foret to update it with army builders.

CaptainSolo1138
12-30-2007, 07:36 PM
I stopped buying them. Its easier to keep track of what I've got now.

Ji'dai
12-31-2007, 02:10 PM
I started using an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of Hasbro toys since the Power of the Jedi line (2000 or so). I keep track of other figure lines this way too. Prior to that I would come here and use the old checklists SirSteve made for this site, or print off the toy list from Hasbro's website.

I also created an HTML webpage that has an inventory of nearly all my SW 3-3/4" scale toys I've accumulated since 1978. I don't have the vintage Kenner Micro Collection or Galoob MicroMachines on it yet though.

My LEGO collection is inventoried on another HTML webpage I created. I maintain and store the SW and LEGO webpages offline. Half the fun of buying stuff is adding it to the list!

Tycho
12-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Before each new movie came out, I'd gathered all the plot leaks that correlated, as well as the novelizations and comic adaptations, Insider pictures, etc.

I listed every scene I thought would be cool to recreate because of unique characters, ships and vehicles, the overall setting, or plot scenerio.

Then I listed everything (whether it was going to be made a toy or not) that would belong in that scene. I have "booklets" for each movie and its surrounding EU as well.

Then I bought the things that existed which were on those lists and checked them off as I got them. Obviously Young Owen and Young Beru are not checked off yet, but Po Nudo soon will be.

Anyway, this is how I keep track of what I got. If I counted TPM scenes up for example, I know I used like 30 Qui-Gon Jinn figures. I tried to buy a variety that I could use as the inevitability of resculpts became apparent.

jedi master sal
12-31-2007, 04:09 PM
I catalog stuff as I get it. As for current stuff, I predetermine how many of each fig from a wave I want then buy as such. Since I'm not going crazy on army building anymore (with exception to the corrected Kashyyyk Clone that is coming out) it's very easy to keep track of.

I have a very detailed catalog (Excel Spreadsheet) of everything I have. Nowadays I'm usually no more than a week or two behind. Instead of the marathon weekends of data entry, I now spend maybe an hour once every two weeks updating my collection.

As far as keeping track of what's coming out, I visit several SW collecting websites, cross-reference those sites lists of what's new to come. Once I confirm those, I'll make my list out of what I want. Typically I just copy/paste RS's list, edit it for my needs and save it as an Adobe InDesign file (in table format).

JediTricks
12-31-2007, 04:29 PM
I open my eyes and there they are.

The 'Xir
12-31-2007, 04:37 PM
Clearly there are waaayyyyyyy too many figures now for Hasbro to attempt to do anything like that on the packaging. It would be really great if Hasbro would make an ultimate checklist on their website though (hint hint :lipsrsealed: )....

But since they don't...

It's been awhile since I been on their site(as you can imagine), however I actually thought Hasbro has or had, like a want/need or wish list that you could do just that! Keep track of what you have, what you want, etc. It may have only been offered last Xmas, but thats about the time I remember seeing it!

Maybe it was just that a toy checklist for kids that they could email "Santa"(their parents) with what action figs they wanted for xmas! Obviously, I dont remember exactly, as I said, It's been awhile! :tired:

Slicker
12-31-2007, 05:11 PM
Unfortunately I don't keep track. I rely on others such as KH who has bought A LOT of stuff for me over the past year to kinda keep me updated on what I need. I know the majority of it myself such as the vehicles and beast sets but the figures are a bit tougher for me since they're released more frequently.

Back when I did all of my buying SSG was a good source. I also used the pictures and numbers on the cardbacks to kinda log what I had and what I needed mentally. I've got literally every 3 3/4" figure since '95 (minus some repacks that I'll get later and the carpy Cruisemissle Trooper that will NEVER be in my collection!) so I don't need to mentally track what I need from long ago. It's mostly stuff released within the past few months.

Rocketboy
12-31-2007, 07:58 PM
I've got literally every 3 3/4" figure since '95 (minus some repacks that I'll get later and the carpy Cruisemissle Trooper that will NEVER be in my collection!)HAPPY BIRTHD...ah f*ck.

El Chuxter
12-31-2007, 08:03 PM
You need a Cruisemissile. Most awesomest toy EVER!!

(Today is National Opposite Day, right?)

2-1B
01-01-2008, 07:58 PM
We should all ship a MIB Cruisemissile over to Slick and have them show up on multiple days so he has them peppering in occassionally during Mail Call. lol

El Chuxter
01-01-2008, 08:27 PM
The military censors will use sharpies to black out the word "missile," so it'll just be a Cruise Trooper.

2-1B
01-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Slicker is going Cruisin' ?

plasticfetish
01-01-2008, 09:05 PM
...don't ask, don't tell...

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Microsoft Excel, the spreadsheet is divided up by product line and includes such extraneous information such as where the item was purchased, condition, and whether it is loose or carded.

There is even a formula that calculates how much money I have wasted spent on all merchandise since I started collecting. The money only calculates the purchases for the toy line, and not games, ornaments, or other miscellaneous objects, nor the blood, sweat, or tears it took getting them.