PDA

View Full Version : Do You Like Silence or Sound?

Tycho
01-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Many a time I've come to pause on the idea that I just love things to be absolutely silent.

This has nothing to do with my usual taste for heavy metal music (or John Williams' movie scores) - that is for when I'm actively LISTENING to MUSIC.

When I'm just controlling my environment, the phrase "silence is golden" is much more than just accurate.

I THINK so much, I have probably 2-3 main ideas going on in my head at any given moment, and a few more filed away on the back-burner that I focus on should I receive any revelation about them.

I cannot have the radio or music, TV, or a movie that I'm not focused on playing in the background (most of the time - but not always). I also cannot deal with hearing any other people's conversations - as I have 6 or more going on in my own head to keep track of.

Currently, I am:

1) re-evaluating religion and how wise it would be to destroy God to achieve world peace

- I'm considering a philosophy book I'm reading on that topic

2) deciding how to best proceede with the most scientific approach to voting on yet-unmade-Star Wars action figures

3) trying to analyze and predict how the Iowa Caucus will turn out on Thursday, and what if anything the results will mean for the candidates, and in the long run, the country should the finalists turn into referendums on any clear policies

- I remember what they say in the primaries and how it morphs and changes in the general elections and even have stuff recorded to point out their expected hypocrisies when they arise.

4) Evaluating the state of the fire-sales on real estate in San Diego in light of the sub-prime lending crisis and always considering when I'll make my move

5) pondering how long it will really take until my novel is ready for publishing, and whether I'll be able to pursue that, or need a break again when everything is written.

On the back burner are:

a) a specific girl
b) girls in general and whether I have time for the diversion from the larger themes above
c) whether I want to invite any friend to meet me at a restaurant to eat with me, or I need my time to think about all the above and won't be good conversation or an attentive audience anyway.

Of course if I read the paper, I'll wander into my decisions on how to best order the universe of course. Honestly, I think taking over for God would be a huge distraction.

But I sure as heck don't want to overhear anyone's phone conversation, unfamiliar music, movie, or reality TV show.

Silence is golden.

How do you prefer it?

bigbarada
01-01-2008, 05:04 PM
I love silence, with the occasional bird chirping in the background or cool breeze blowing. I just love being miles from any people or signs of civilization.

However, I also live in an apartment building so I usually drown out the sounds of everyone living around me with my own music (my musical tastes are all over the place), a movie or just a loud fan for that monotonous droning that helps me to relax.

jedi master sal
01-01-2008, 05:45 PM
Slience when I can get it. Though that's at a premium living in a semi-large city, working in the city and living in a crowded neigborhood.

Jargo
01-01-2008, 08:57 PM
well these days silence is something that just never happens. there's always the distant thrum of traffic or music or some industrial mechanism going on. I like quiet though. an empty house with nothing on and just sitting down and relaxing and heaving a huge sigh of satisfaction.
outdoorsy countryside lack of noise is good too. birdsong and leafy swishes of breeze. an occasional dog bark or goose honk. woodpecker maybe. that general tranquility that always precedes something like a bomb going off in movies.

plasticfetish
01-01-2008, 09:01 PM
I like the sound of silence. :Ponder:

TeeEye7
01-01-2008, 10:47 PM
Silence is good; sound is good, but not noise!

stillakid
01-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :mad:

CaptainSolo1138
01-02-2008, 06:51 AM
I prefer sound, especially when I'm at rest. I like knowing that someone/thing is working and I don't have to.

Blue2th
01-02-2008, 08:13 AM
I like to say "SILENCE!" just like the great Wizard of Oz.

Really though I like silence. Absolute silence is hard to come by. Try to take a nap in the days when it is warmer, and everyone lets their dogs out in the niehborhood. I like animals but sometimes I wish I could shoot some of them.
I have well insulated walls and windows so it helps.
The only way to drown out the noise is with a noise machine that has a collection of different white-noise sounds on it. I use the rain mode as it's a constant sound with no variation in tone. It works really well.

When I lived in a house with other batchelors who liked to party till the we hours of the morning, I used to turn my TV on a snow channel and cover it with a dark towel, and turn it up. It would drown out most everything and I could fall asleep.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-02-2008, 11:30 AM
Silence is good; sound is good, but not noise!No, silence is golden.

I've always preferred silence, like a white piece of paper. It allows you to add colors, words, and/or pictures to it easier than it would be to draw on a blue paper (i.e. take sounds away). And one of my favorite songs that I seem to forget easily is "Enjoy the Silence." :shh:

El Chuxter
01-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Off-subject: Cappy, do you have more rhymes than the Bible has Psalms?

CaptainSolo1138
01-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Just like the Prodigal Son I've returned.

El Chuxter
01-02-2008, 12:34 PM
Good to hear it. I'll make sure not to step on you, as I would hate to get burned.

CaptainSolo1138
01-02-2008, 12:46 PM
an i wud burn u gud u bich :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Slicker
01-02-2008, 08:39 PM
When I'm awake and doing stuff I prefer silence but when I'm trying to sleep I'd prefer to have a bit of background noise like a fan or a soft hum.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-02-2008, 09:17 PM
I think I like one after a long period of the other. I found that today when I just frankly wanted some silence for a while.