PDA

View Full Version : A New Tale From The Bar Side

Tycho
01-03-2008, 04:52 AM
I have a new friend in her 20's who I was actually interested in from the get-go - AND she is a political junky and wants to argue with me! :love:

This big question everyone here wants to know is not if you agreed with her politically, but did you get a caucus in her voting booth...

Holy smokes! We met out at the same bar tonight. I think she's into me! She is so freaking HOT it's insane, too. And I learned she doesn't wear any underwear! Now we have plans to see each other again.

Oh, she reads sci-fi, likes Star Wars - that's already out in the open - and she's met Ray Bradbury in person at a science fiction book convention. Plus she lives in the exact same apartment complex I just moved out of 2 years ago, has more of the same professors I did.

Alright - someone must have spiked my Mouse Droid...

jedi master sal
01-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Josh, why don't you just start a personal blog here on SSG instead of all the different threads, lol.

Seriously though, ha ha.

This big question everyone here wants to know is not if you agreed with her politically, but did you get a caucus in her voting booth... (Please don't make me explain that, lol).

Tycho
01-03-2008, 10:06 AM
Not yet, Sal. Not yet. But it's not yet time for this Californian's primary :D

jedi master sal
01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
Not yet, Sal. Not yet. But it's not yet time for this Californian's primary :D

Then you'll make your big push to get her vote...

Tycho
01-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Heck. I want to stuff that ballot box!

El Chuxter
01-03-2008, 12:18 PM
I'm not sure if I've seen innuendo when discussing the candidates before.

CaptainSolo1138
01-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Why are you looking in Tycho's window, perv?

2-1B
01-03-2008, 03:56 PM
I would've elected the 40 year old to a cabinet position.

Tycho
01-04-2008, 04:38 AM
I have a new friend in her 20's who I was actually interested in from the get-go - AND she is a political junky and wants to argue with me! :love:

This big question everyone here wants to know is not if you agreed with her politically, but did you get a caucus in her voting booth...

Holy smokes! We met out at the same bar tonight. I think she's into me! She is so freaking HOT it's insane, too. And I learned she doesn't wear any underwear! Now we have plans to see each other again.

Oh, she reads sci-fi, likes Star Wars - that's already out in the open - and she's met Ray Bradbury in person at a science fiction book convention. Plus she lives in the exact same apartment complex I just moved out of 2 years ago, has more of the same professors I did.

Alright - someone must have spiked my Mouse Droid...

And I deleted my original post while trying to update this story...:mad:

JediTricks
01-04-2008, 05:10 AM
So T, what does your current girlfriend think of all this? :p You know, the chick that called Steve a clown when we met her 9 years ago?

Tycho
01-04-2008, 09:33 AM
So T, what does your current girlfriend think of all this? :p You know, the chick that called Steve a clown when we met her 9 years ago?

Oh, so many errors...

First, she is not my girlfriend. I think I've told you that 100 times.

I'm being really honest about that, because if things were a little different, I'd wish she was my girlfriend (yes, she once was).

That girl is awesome, a very loyal friend, extremely attractive, but totally untrustworthy to be in a relationship with. She's either very flirtacious, or just too many men flirt with her - either way we have bad blood between us over things that happened over that 10-year past we go back through. I would be lucky if she really were my girlfriend, but the circumstances are not that good. Maybe we reconcile them. I don't know.

I think that she cares about me a lot though, but I worry that she comes around so much because she feels sorry for me now. Believe me, if a girl like her wants to offer herself out of pity - ummm- yeah I'll take it!

It's just darn easier dealing with a new girl who's every bit as attractive - even about 4 years younger - and with whom I have many more interests in common with. You-Know-Who fell asleep during Star Wars and once packed up my 7" Unleashed figures and said she didn't want them in the bedroom!

Second, I don't remember her ever calling SirSteve a clown. She wanted to go with us to LA that time when we came up to visit with you - likely because she wanted to keep track of what I was doing. We both have "control freak issues" (which are habitual with me in my relationship with her, but which I don't project on other girls - seriously). I don't care for her mixing with my "Star Wars friends" because she doesn't respect the hobby and thinks it's a silly waste of time and money.

Sidenote: I could have gone to the special preview PRESS SCREENING of The Phantom Menace in 1999 when we were offered tickets as we passed a crowd outside the movie theater in the mall where we watched Transformers last summer (You know MICHAEL BAY's last movie). And I would have seen the film like a week before everyone else - it was like the 2nd week of May and TPM came out on May 19 I think. Well, this "girlfriend's" (she was at that time for sure) birthday is in May and we'd fought around the actual date of her b-day, so I was taking her out to that Outback Steakhouse a week later. Anyway, the tickets were offered by our local newspaper. And she gets a chance to be quoted while receiving free movie tickets and she says, "I'm not going to watch that stupid Star Wars movie! Plus it's a bad influence on him." (meaning me). Star Wars a bad influence on ME? WTF. How could anyone get that idea?

Anyway, we were in a book store about a month ago when the new "Legacy" book was released and she saw me looking at it. So she was kind enough to buy it for me. All good so far. We're checking out with our purchases, and the girl at the register happens to read SW books. I think I posted about this before. So we get into a conversation about the Darth Bane book (it's really good). And "my girlfriend" asks me if I got her phone number, and if I'd prefer it if this other gal from the bookstore drove me home?

Sorry. I didn't want to turn this thread into a complaint form about someone who's really one of my very best friends. All I'm saying is I could make a better friend if you catch my meaning.

It's not lying or sneaking around being dishonest either. It's just a fact being omitted. And who's to say (but I so much hope!) that this will pan out to anything.

This new girl does not know I'm so sick. She doesn't know I inherited money. I was wearing a thick winter coat, so if I'm less than the athletic form I used to be, she couldn't see it because of what I was wearing. There are many factors that didn't come up yet, but I dread it when they will. So who knows?

Geeze. That's a sobering thought. I was so happy before...:tired:

El Chuxter
01-04-2008, 12:21 PM
I heard she called Steve a mime, since he was wearing his beret and striped shirt that day.

jjreason
01-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Josh, why don't you just start a personal blog here on SSG instead of all the different threads, lol.

Seriously though, ha ha.

This big question everyone here wants to know is not if you agreed with her politically, but did you get a caucus in her voting booth... (Please don't make me explain that, lol).

Blog! Blog! Blog! Blog! :crazed:

Tycho
01-05-2008, 01:39 PM
Serious post for discussion:

I find blogs inferior to discussion forums. Yes, this particular "Tale from the Bar Side" could have been blogged, but it led me to start the dicussion on "cougars," which was much more topical, IMO.

Thus anyone interested in discussing cougars, as well as particular Hasbro products, the Iowa Caucus results, whatever, can seek threads that do exactly that, versus sort through a hodge-podge of "all the above" on one blog site.

This here is the general discussion forum, so I assume that means any subject which isn't specifically categorized for another forum that we have already existing - such as Unleashed figures. If I started discussing Unleashed, the thread would be rightly moved there.

Like I said, this is just "general discussion" or anything to me. As a forums site, I am resistant to using blogs here. In fact, on MySpace, I have 3 policy positions on illegal immigration in my blog, and virtually no comments or arguments about them. If I put my ideas into the particular political forums there, I'll have a ton of discussion.

In a way, it is about getting attention. Well WTF do you post on a forum for if you don't want to get attention? Doing a Tycho-blog is another way to put me in the "Time Out Corner" or something - a place I just won't sit in. I can be obnoxious. I scream for attention. And a blog just isn't good enough.

I'm not sure if you personally like my posts (of course with many things, you can take your pick of those you like and those you don't), but I post FOR ME first, not for anyone else. So do ANY of you I think - even the "Just Found" forum is a bragging stage. (Liar - someone just read that and tried denying it to themselves. You f'n LIAR!) - and yes it serves multi-purposes such as for information on toy locating etc., but it still serves as a bragging ground and a way for any one of you to not feel isolated in the hobby, like you're collecting by yourself - but that is seeking EX-trinsic value in your interaction in the hobby afterall isn't it?

Well, I'm seeking extrinsic value in my discussions here.

jjreason
01-05-2008, 06:57 PM
Good points - but the true expansive scope of your cra... err I mean "amazingly diverse" thoughts is watered down by being fragmented here in a bazillion different threads.

What about cutting and pasting your initial posts from these threads into a blog? Not that much more work, and we'd all get treated to seeing exactly exactly what you're thinking about - be it politics, the odor of todays mouse droids, teen celebrity pregnancies, cougars or sweatsuits - in as close to real-time as the internet permits! lol

Tycho
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
What about these suggestions:

1) If by any chance you're not interested in my posts, you don't click on them. The titles generally reveal their topics, so you can also pick and choose.

2) If I don't have any ideas for posts, I don't post. So for the present moment (whereas I'm mostly working on my novel) I'm not "littering" in the discussion forum - if my posts are considered litter.

3) If there is an "ignore user" feature here on SSG, isn't it possible for all of us to enjoy the site? Those that are really interested in my posts can view them, those who aren't, don't have to. I know there is a gray area where some have friends who like my posts and others who don't. But aren't there people who'd consider their positions sort of elitist as well (I know I have my faults in that area, too) and if anyone can post whatever topic which doesn't conflict with the general forum's rules, it is FAIR for all?

*** I am reading into this a conspiratorial plot to marginalize / minimalize my posts somewhere that some members won't have to view them - but they already have that option with the forum features in their control panel setting. Shouldn't they change their setting preferences if they are the ones who have those preferences?

++++ If I read into this incorrectly, people can start up topical threads requesting my input on bugars, pocket lint, and people who walk into glass doors during religious services and if I have anything to add, I'll be happy to respond. Those topics are not different from the subject matter posted about on "the other site." I am already posting as "Tycho," a character, and though my real identity is known by many here, and it's not at all a secret, there still seems to be this idea that an insane asylum board must be off this specific site's forums and into "a private club" of sorts. SSG is a footnote margin in a footnote hobby. Let's be realistic. It's the best SW fan site for the sake of Steve's hard work and the sake of our forums community, but I wonder if there is not an undercurrent of disenchantment with that community now, hence "the other site," and why if I have anything to do with it, certain members (other X-wing pilots for example) might not private-message me and discuss things instead of saving their opinions for gossip, for example. (Gossip is talking about someone when they aren't aware of it and given a chance to respond).

A final point is that I don't think any regular user aims to be "a troll" here, though some have fun being instigators and don't need to hide behind BOTH a screen name and "another site" so they can feel free and not paranoid of "playing." Afterall, forums posting is a form of playing - even if it's serious political arguing or challenging conventional notions about psychology. I even like debating on the side of the most difficult positions and I've long been toying with a post about "feeling it's OK to kill people if you really, really want to." (I just can't come up with any lasting argument I can stretch out with that one - as most likely, I probably DON'T feel like it's OK to kill people in real life - I just predict things like Virginia Tech will happen as a natural occurance amongst some undetermined number of any population over some unspecified amount of time due to everyday sociological forces).

However, I look at every situation and turn it inside out and consider every possibility if I can. I could brag about some attributes I've had assigned to myself that could actually be boasted about - but that won't service any good purpose. So I just have to continue unless there is another suggestion I've overlooked. I do reject the blog option at this time, but eventually I will use several blogs for other purposes. However, none will likely be for random unusual thoughts that "Tycho" would express, versus what I'd be serious about in "real life."

I really think people that avoid those posts out of any prejudice against me are being both SILLY and HYPOCRITICAL. They could expand their sense of humor so they could laugh. They could expand their thinking - so they could think outside of the box, period. And they could examine what they themselves post (maybe in the Cell Block or at another site) and see if there's really any difference. They could even PM me if they think they're smart enough to have got anything.

(Hah! - did I mention I'm also arrogant? But by the way, that hardly means I don't care about my fellow man, I'm in any way a bad SW trader - I've got plenty of references to the contrary - and I've got a good heart and help others behind the scenes - as I've also got references for doing. My arrogance is part of the Tycho character because I'm a genius and I need to rule the world so I can have enough practice for the day I actually become God and take over the universe. Boy there's a lot of work I have to do...)

Anyway, no blogs per se at this time. On MySpace, you can engage me concerning 3 different aspects of illegal immigration, the origin of sandwiches, and take a political quiz to find out your supposed (the survey's not that accurate) ideological positions. Under my real name, I guess I don't engage much in taking positions on sweatsuits, cougars, or describing my dreams.

THIS, (SSG) is more of an annoynymous playground where most post under screen-names anyway. Why the heck you need another site to do it is beyond me. Do you have a profile page for your professional work where you explain to everyone that you collect Star Wars figures? Then PLAY at a Star Wars website and quit trying to make this as something more serious than it is. Otherwise I'd like some links to all of your professional department websites where you post pictures of your toy collections up for everyone else at the office to see. Yeah - that's what I thought. Have fun at "the other site."

jjreason
01-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Tycho - I said it before in your other thread... YOU are a BIG chunk of what makes this place what it is! I had NO intent on suggesting you only put your thoughts elsewhere. I apologize for you taking my last posts that way. Honestly. I get a big kick out of reading your stuff here (unless it's you going on about killing folks, then I get a little uptight - but we went over that before).

Tycho
01-06-2008, 03:27 AM
Thank you. It is fun playing at being creative.
Honestly. I get a big kick out of reading your stuff here (unless it's you going on about killing folks, then I get a little uptight - but we went over that before).

That would really be an opportunity to discuss why people snap, what access to weapons people in all circumstances have, and what effect it has on a larger picture (and the small-scale one).

If you want to make the thread interesting and get a lot of people involved, you start with a whacked assertion like "It's OK to kill people if you really, really want to." As I said, I haven't really been able to outline a justification I can work with for that premise, or I'd have started the thread already.

Simply being topical in the Rancor Pit about gun owner rights, purchaser background checks, storage safety, etc. will keep the discussion hidden (from those who won't read RP threads), limiting (as the thread's also going to cover bullying, depression medications, etc.) and frankly, I write sort of sensationalized and a provocative subject like the one I propose would engage more people.

BTW, that may be relegated to the RP rather quickly, but it might take a handful more subscribers than it would ordinarily generate in the RP.

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 07:41 PM
Oh, so many errors...

First, she is not my girlfriend. I think I've told you that 100 times.

I'm being really honest about that, because if things were a little different, I'd wish she was my girlfriend (yes, she once was).

That girl is awesome, a very loyal friend, extremely attractive, but totally untrustworthy to be in a relationship with. She's either very flirtacious, or just too many men flirt with her - either way we have bad blood between us over things that happened over that 10-year past we go back through. I would be lucky if she really were my girlfriend, but the circumstances are not that good. Maybe we reconcile them. I don't know.Riiiiight, tell yourself whatever it takes to do what you do. :p But you are whipped, she's basically your wife - especially the endless disagreements, and her ability to get herself dragged into more of your SW obsession and then get all annoyed when it bores her to tears. :D

It's just darn easier dealing with a new girl who's every bit as attractive - even about 4 years younger - and with whom I have many more interests in common with. You-Know-Who fell asleep during Star Wars and once packed up my 7" Unleashed figures and said she didn't want them in the bedroom!Did you make her watch Star Wars at 2am after coming home from an extended day at a convention or something? ;)

Second, I don't remember her ever calling SirSteve a clown.She totally did though, she said something about him being of mexican heritage, it got all awkwardly quiet for a second, I said I was pretty sure Steve was of italian heritage, he confirmed that, she said she didn't believe him and asked his last name, and when she heard it she laughed and said it sounded like a clown, which brought on more awkward silence. That was my chief impression of her... which kind of made her perfect for you. :p

Sidenote: I could have gone to the special preview PRESS SCREENING of The Phantom Menace in 1999 when we were offered tickets as we passed a crowd outside the movie theater in the mall where we watched Transformers last summer (You know MICHAEL BAY's last movie). And I would have seen the film like a week before everyone else - it was like the 2nd week of May and TPM came out on May 19 I think. Well, this "girlfriend's" (she was at that time for sure) birthday is in May and we'd fought around the actual date of her b-day, so I was taking her out to that Outback Steakhouse a week later. Anyway, the tickets were offered by our local newspaper. And she gets a chance to be quoted while receiving free movie tickets and she says, "I'm not going to watch that stupid Star Wars movie! Plus it's a bad influence on him." (meaning me). Star Wars a bad influence on ME? WTF. How could anyone get that idea?Charming.

Anyway, we were in a book store about a month ago when the new "Legacy" book was released and she saw me looking at it. So she was kind enough to buy it for me. All good so far. We're checking out with our purchases, and the girl at the register happens to read SW books. I think I posted about this before. So we get into a conversation about the Darth Bane book (it's really good). And "my girlfriend" asks me if I got her phone number, and if I'd prefer it if this other gal from the bookstore drove me home?Yeah, it's kind of a jerk move to pay all the attention to the female employee while your gal is right there, it's rude if nothing else.

Sorry. I didn't want to turn this thread into a complaint form about someone who's really one of my very best friends. All I'm saying is I could make a better friend if you catch my meaning.All I'm saying is you could catch an STD, if you take my meaning. lol

This new girl does not know I'm so sick. She doesn't know I inherited money. I was wearing a thick winter coat, so if I'm less than the athletic form I used to be, she couldn't see it because of what I was wearing. There are many factors that didn't come up yet, but I dread it when they will. So who knows?I think she knows you're sick since, after all, she did listen to you speak. Or do you mean physically sick? :D

Geeze. That's a sobering thought. I was so happy before...:tired:Just remember, you're a self-sabotager, so no matter what you do you'll be unhappy. ;) J/k :p

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Off-subject: does anyone else hear the dude from Biohazard yelling, "Tales from the Bar Side--BAR SIDE!!" when they read the title of this topic?

2-1B
01-06-2008, 10:07 PM
She totally did though, she said something about him being of mexican heritage, it got all awkwardly quiet for a second, I said I was pretty sure Steve was of italian heritage, he confirmed that, she said she didn't believe him and asked his last name, and when she heard it she laughed and said it sounded like a clown, which brought on more awkward silence. That was my chief impression of her... which kind of made her perfect for you. :p

Well, the vowel at the end of his name should have validated the heritage for her. As for the clown name, well, I can KINDA see where she'd make that stretch. lol

Off-subject: does anyone else hear the dude from Biohazard yelling, "Tales from the Bar Side--BAR SIDE!!" when they read the title of this topic?

"I'll put a bullet in your head for the color of your skin, this is my neighborhood WHO THE F*** LET YOU IN???"

So no, I don't hear that song in my head.
lol lol lol