PDA

View Full Version : Worst Figure of TAC - part 1/2

JediTricks
01-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Now that you've decided which figures are the best from the TAC (30th Anniversary Collection), let's start off the new year finding out which figure of 2007 is the absolute worst. There were plenty of bad figures to choose from, and the wave-by-wave votes in the polls made it easy to spot them, but some of those were merely unpopular rather than bad so a little editorial discretion has been applied (for example, no mere repaints in the list).

This poll is cut up into 2 halves, don't forget to vote in the other half (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36905) to give your true feelings on the matter.

When both polls finish, the top 4 from each will run off against each other to decide the ultimate worst figure from the line.

bigbarada
01-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Easy one, Ghost Hayden from wave 7. You can see what they were going for, but the execution was just horrible. You have to wonder why someone at Hasbro didn't just stop and say, "Hey guys, did you not notice that this looks like crap?" at some point.

Although, I would actually be a little more forgiving of this figure if it had been Sebastian Shaw's likeness.

It sucks that Yavin Luke made it to this poll, he's one of my favorite figures from 2007.:(

El Chuxter
01-03-2008, 05:20 PM
Obi-Wan Kenobi (wave 1): Useless turd. Of course, it's just the Pilot Obi-Wan that's sucked for over a year, this time with (woo) an aquata breather.

Luke Yavin (wave 2): Definitely a contender. This figure sucks more than the entire fleet of Hoovers produced in the past decade.

M'iiyoom Onith (wave 4): Great figure. Just not up to par with the rest.

C-3PO & Salacious Crumb (wave 5): A little boring, and with a silly action feature, but not bad.

Anakin Nelvanna (wave 5): This one was excellent; the only drawback was the incorrect pants color.

Darth Malak (wave 5): Again, more boring than anything else. It looks pretty accurate to the pictures I've seen, which look like boring butt.

Lando Smuggler (wave 6): Not as bad as people make it out to be. More mediocre than "worst."

Anakin Spirit (wave 7): Even my wife said this one looked "gay." And she's not one to use that word lightly. This figure is truly bad.

Padme Amidala (wave 8): Hey! This is the best likeness Hasbro's ever gotten on a figure! Too bad it's Christopher Lambert and not Natalie Portman.

This is a tough call for me, between Ghost of Haydakin and Wendy the Retard in Yavin Luke Disguise. I need to give it thought.

Sorry, BigB, I hate that figure.

Kidhuman
01-03-2008, 06:05 PM
I voted for Anakin Spirit. What a horrid figure. I returned the one I got from a case order to the nearest retailer, thats how bad it was.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-03-2008, 06:23 PM
Obi Wan was a waste of a slot, just another way to keep the same great sculpt with a little retool out on the market, great figure just not again for the TAC.

Luke Yavin...Hmmm this figure is actually really good.

Miiyoom, the sculpt needed a little work, but for a character that has like .3 micro seconds of screen time...what can you expect, other wise not a bad figure, just not a bad figure.

3P0 and Crumb, this wasn't the endor threepio, but it wasn't bad, it's actually a really good diorama piece.

Clone Wars Anakin..This figure was a great figure, what's the deal with great figures being slammed?

Lando (Smuggler), it looks like crap in the package, and the eyes are a little rolled back, but it's a decent figure, just not a great figure.

Malak, i actually like this figure, i hate the character, but i like the figure, i think for what hasbro had to work with they done really great with this one...he's on the list because he's EU isn't he!:thumbsup: Got ya.

Anakin (Ghosts), hadn't anyone noticed Anakin does look like MArtha Stewart! So the likeness is deadon, but seriously i like the figure i hope to see more in this style for the ghosts.

Padme, this figure was just lame, who wants Portman in bondage gear? Hmm...Don't answer that...but this one was the loser in my opinion because she only catered to niche collectors. Which i'm one of so...that should say how much Padme figures suck...

Tycho
01-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Obi Wan was good as the pilot figure, which is essentially what this is. He was the best 2005. But giving him the oral-orafice was not going to do him any favors.

Luke Yavin...This figure comes with cancer, and possibly leprosy though I didn't buy one to open the package. You get terrible value and he doesn't even include Anthrax to help you get your money's worth.

Miiyoom, had to be made. She wasn't going to be exciting anyway. But I'm glad she's done and thus not requiring a petition to get her made.

3P0 and Crumb, This was a fun piece actually.

Clone Wars Anakin..Now are they going to make a Michael Jackson figure to go with him, or are you supposed to make your diorama with the Orafice-Obi-Wan? Alright. Yeah. That makes sense.

Lando (Smuggler), There aren't many Landos that could be done and this was necessary. It just could have been executed better.

Malak, I'm not into KOTOR, so who am I to judge?

Anakin (Ghosts), I think adding him to the Orafice-Obi-Wan and topless Anakin figure in a threesome diorama would make an excellent tribute to the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Padme, - I was really glad to get her actually. Her face sculpt could have been better though.

Luke Yavin is by far the worst here.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2008, 08:38 PM
I voted for Darth Malak. I don't think any of these figures are real, true stinkers on par with Holiday Vader or Droid Factory R2-D2, but Malak is my least favorite here.

I definitely seem to be in the minority, but I don't think Anakin and Padmé are that bad. I would've preferred a darker cloak for Anakin to have his arms covered better, but it's not horrible.

jedibear
01-03-2008, 10:10 PM
I went for Obi-Wan.

Yes, it's just a re-issue of the pilot figure with a big yap and something to stick in it, but as Sinscia Fat'o pointed out, it was a waste of a slot in the line. Re-using that pilot figure yet again in such a shabby way was not the best impression to make in the line's first assortment.

As for the rest of the entries, i know everyone's pounding on Ghost Ani, but my thought is at least they tried something different...it may not be successful to many folks, but it wasn't just another re-hash. Padme? I kinda like her...she isn't any "worse" than earlier versions of her in long gowns has been. Yavin Luke? A better head scuplt would've helped. M'iiyoom Onith...just another odd-looking cantina alien...not bad to me. C3P0 and S.Crumb...well, what else can they do with Threepio they haven't done theme-wise? My issue with him wasn't the play feature, it was the too-clean deco for the scene he was made for. Lando (Smuggler Attire)...not bad, just plain, but ok. Darth Malak...not a bad figure for what he is, i just don't care for the un-SW design of him.
And finally, Temp Tat Ani? Looks alright. pants are awfully bright, but for bare-chested, articulated figure, he's actually pretty good.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-03-2008, 11:11 PM
Obi-Wan gets my vote. I have never been all that impressed with the sculpt to begin with, and this one is no different. I probably didn't hate it as much as others, but I don't like it as much as the others in this poll.

I've yet to see Hayden Spirit, but from the pictures, I don't think it is that horrible.

C-3PO was nothing special, but we got something different out of it and an improved S. Crumb.

Other than the head, I really liked Yavin Luke

Lando was a decent figure. I don't have the complaints most have with it.

I think I popped off one of Malak's forearms pretty easily, but other than that it is not too bad.

I just about voted for Anakin as best in his wave. A pretty good figure there I thought.

M'iiyoom is peg-warming here, but she's a nice addition to the Cantina with the bar piece. Just has the problem of the skirt interfering with the ability to sit.

Padmé seems a little better now that I have the figure than what I saw in pictures.

El Chuxter
01-03-2008, 11:54 PM
I didn't think the Anakin Spirit looked that bad, either. Then I saw it in person.

Slicker
01-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I voted for Darth Malak simply on the merits that he's an EU figure.

bigbarada
01-04-2008, 02:00 AM
Sorry, BigB, I hate that figure.

:) That's fine, I'm not a super stickler for Luke figures. I never even liked the character as a kid, too whiney.

However, my all-time favorite Luke figure is the OTC Dagobah Luke. With Yoda on his back, he's just one of the coolest Star Wars figures ever. Now if you don't like that figure, then we got problems.:whip:

:D

How come none of wave 7.5 made it to the "worst" poll? I thought the poopie-stained Clonetrooper would be a finalist for sure.

sebillba
01-04-2008, 03:47 AM
I don't hate any of these, but the only one I nearly passed on getting was Anakin Spirit, so I've voted for him. I thought he turned out ok though, the ghost effect was quite good, and he looked great on top of my Christmas tree!! :D

JediTricks
01-04-2008, 05:56 AM
Clone Wars Anakin..This figure was a great figure, what's the deal with great figures being slammed? They're figures that performed exceptionally poorly in the "best" polls, and I whittled that list down a little by choosing ones which also enjoyed little to no positive word-of-mouth when they were originally released.

How come none of wave 7.5 made it to the "worst" poll? I thought the poopie-stained Clonetrooper would be a finalist for sure.Because I figured they're all so bad that they'd tilt the poll out of the TRUE line, which they were not part of originally (hence no McQuarrie entry). And I didn't want it to be all "repaints suck" votes, we already know that. Basically, it's an entire wave of losers (I don't care what you people say, Pax Bonkik sucks!!!) and I didn't even want to put them in the "Best of" poll series for those reasons.

Now, let's see the complaints in the other poll. :p

jedi master sal
01-04-2008, 07:45 AM
I voted for Lando. Just not an exciting character among others. The eyes up were a big issue with me. The fact that he's mostly a repaint when he could have been better was another issue.

Just not all that exciting.

Ji'dai
01-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Spirit Anakin is the worst in the group.

I bought five of the nine figures in this poll. The four I passed on were Obi-Wan, Yavin Luke, Nelvana Anakin, and Spirit Anakin. I hadn't planned on buying the Spirit since I dislike Hayden's inclusion in the ROTJ SE. Then I saw the figure in person and had no problem putting that ugly thing back on the peg.

Snowtrooper
01-04-2008, 05:41 PM
I chose C3P0 + SC. I hate the way the eye feature looks and how the leg is painted silver rather than vac-formed silver. It would have been better to take Endor 3P0 and just put some green paint on him IMO. SC was ok but not enough to redeem it.

Devo
01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
I voted for what looked worst and not based on any character preferance. Although I wasn't interested in Darths Revan or malak they look OK to me. I was interested in spirit Anakin till I saw pictures of the release version - awful.

Glad to see the cantina alien and Clone wars Anakin not getting many votes as technically they're fine figures - I can only surmise a disliking of the fact that they - and not other more recognised characters/outfits - were made this year as the reason for their inclusion here.

jamesbondo07
01-04-2008, 08:37 PM
I was trying to decide between luke or spirit Ani. I think the luke is far worse looking. The color of the figure was not only off but the way the figure was designed was horrible. At least spirit ani was a little better designed IMO. So I voted Luke.

pegger
01-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I voted C-3P0. The feature doesn't work great - in the movie, his eye is handing out - not "popping" out.

The other figures are more boring that bad.

Ghost Ani would have been better with a Shaw head - but I don't think it's that bad.

obi-dad
01-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I accidentally voted for luke. I already hit the button, when I realized it was Yavin Luke in the poll and not that crappy moisture vaporator Luke. there are potf2 lukes that look better than this one. Oh well. Not sure who I would have voted for. The Yavin Luke's face looks pretty good, i'm just not sure who he's supposed to look like. 3PO would have been fine if they would have made 2 heads. Having a bi thing stick out of the back of the head when his eye is in looks like crap. I don't mind my spirit anakin, though i agree they should have packed a sebastien shaw head in there. I have no interest in the clone wars figures, but i guess it is an ok likeness.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 12:08 AM
I finally decided on Luke Yavin. With the Anakin Ghost, at least it's a new figure and they tried something new. Yavin Luke should've been aborted.

plasticfetish
01-06-2008, 04:48 AM
This was tough for me.

I wanted to give it to the candy colored clown they call Ghost of Anakin, but that figure is more boring than bad. That and I still hate the Hayden thing... but dislike of subject matter alone isn't enough.

I voted for black leather Padme. This figure is cross-eyed every time I see it, and on the whole, isn't the least bit thrilling. A good example of why Hasbro should maybe ignore the fan's wishes sometimes, as not everything translates well to toy form.

Cane_Adiss
01-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Actually, I thought most of the figures in this poll were pretty excellent all around. The only figures I passed on were Luke Yavin, Spirit Hayden, Nelvaan Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Alot of people are saying the Padme figure sucks but to me she's the best Padme they've ever done.

Miiyoom Onith I'm suprised even made this poll. It's interesting to think that a cantina alien figure would be said to be a bad figure. Sure she's not as interesting a character as the "core" characters are, but that doesn't make her a bad figure.

Malak was a last minute impulse buy, as I only saw him once in stores. He turned out pretty cool in my opinion even tho I'm not a big EU fan. A good toy anyway. Revan was actually the worse of the two EU darths and he was the Fan's choice figure. Isn't that ironic?

The worst figure to me was Spirit Haydenkin. This figure should never have been made in the first place, and they really f***d it up anyway. He looks horrible in person. One person said he looked "gay" and I'd have to agree with him 100%. Terrible.

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 02:10 PM
I wanted to give it to the candy colored clown they call Ghost of Anakin, but that figure is more boring than bad. That and I still hate the Hayden thing... but dislike of subject matter alone isn't enough.

I voted for black leather Padme. This figure is cross-eyed every time I see it, and on the whole, isn't the least bit thrilling. A good example of why Hasbro should maybe ignore the fan's wishes sometimes, as not everything translates well to toy form.That pretty much sums up my opinion on this list as well. Anakin Spirit doesn't look that much like the character in the sculpt, but I can appreciate the ethereal quality of the design, they tried something new even if it didn't pan out.

Padme was my vote, this thing has a really odd facial sculpt, an awkward body, and the paint is generally cross-eyed. This is one of those figures that proves non-action Padme figures are a waste of plastic, it's neither iconic nor exciting (except to creepy pervs, and even then it's probably a let-down). What can it do? It can't sit, can't shoot a gun, can't be interesting in any way - it merely makes it possible for scene-completists to recreate one of the worst moments of the prequels.

From this list, I didn't buy:
Obi-Wan
Anakin Nelvaan
Lando Smuggler
Anakin Spirit
Padme

That's over half the list!

Mad Slanted Powers
01-06-2008, 02:55 PM
it merely makes it possible for scene-completists to recreate one of the worst moments of the prequels.

From this list, I didn't buy:
Obi-Wan
Anakin Nelvaan
Lando Smuggler
Anakin Spirit
Padme

That's over half the list!I bought them. I bought them all. And not just the men, but the woman, and the EU too.

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 04:28 PM
They're like animals, you purchased them like animals? And you hate them? ;)

Kidhuman
01-06-2008, 08:48 PM
I purchased all but 2.5 of them

I passed on avin Luke and Obi-Wan. Anakin Spirit came in a case, but I brought him back to a store for credit(he is the 1/2 one). I would have never purchased him from the pegs.

Desfiy
01-09-2008, 01:13 PM
Lando would have been my choice, when are they going to give this guy a decent SA Figure, we have had General Lando Calrissian (hopefully they will redo him, as at the min he doesnt hold up with the rest), Vintage Lando Calrissian (I mean the modern one, why no SA, every freakin other person got it, but not him or obi wan, and I am talking about the main heroes), and now we get the Smuggler Lando using the Vintage Lando body what a jip, the only Lando thats come close is Skiff Guard Lando, Hasbro get your finger out and do a decent Lando, the other heroes in my collection are missing him.