PDA

View Full Version : Worst Figure of TAC - part 2/2

JediTricks
01-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Now that you've decided which figures are the best from the TAC (30th Anniversary Collection), let's start off the new year finding out which figure of last year is the absolute worst. There were plenty of bad figures to choose from, and the wave-by-wave votes in the polls made it easy to spot them, but some of those were merely unpopular rather than bad so a little editorial discretion has been applied (for example, no mere repaints in the list).

This poll is cut up into 2 halves, don't forget to vote in the other half (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=36904) to give your true feelings on the matter.

When both polls finish, the top 4 from each will run off against each other to decide the ultimate worst figure from the line.

bigbarada
01-03-2008, 06:06 PM
ROTJ Luke. We've needed an SA Jedi Luke for so long now that this figure felt like a punch to the gut from Hasbro. The soft-goods are terrible, but the figure doesn't work when you remove them either. His accessories are confusing as well, why include the bone when he doesn't come with a non-damaged right hand?

It's like they tried to make him the "all-purpose" Jedi Luke, but ended up making a figure that doesn't really fit well in any scene of ROTJ.

If this figure had come with a sculpted vest, three interchangeable right hands (clean, damaged, gloved), a bone AND a skull, then it would have been sooo close to perfect because the face likeness isn't THAT bad if you can find a good paint job.

El Chuxter
01-03-2008, 06:26 PM
Han Smuggler (wave 2): Almost as butt-a-riffic as the Luke from the same wave.

Luke Moisture Farmer (wave 3): Gawd! Even the vaporator couldn't make me get this piece of butt.

Luke ROTJ (wave 4): First new ROTJ Luke I passed on. That says a lot.

Roron Corobb (wave 5): Wasted opportunity. This one and Foul Moudama would both be so much better if they'd switched the sabers so each one had a weapon appropriate to his side. Unfortunately, though he's not really bad, he's pretty lacking compared to his buddies Foul and Voolvif.

Darth Revan (wave 5): I haven't opened the one in the five pack, but the hooded version that was available carded is wicked cool. Wait, that's the other Darth Cobra Commander. :)

Han Torture Rack (wave 6): I've said it before, I'll say it again: as godawful as he looks without the rack, he actually looks rather good in it.

General Pharl McQuarrie (wave 6): Another "boring, but not bad" figure.

Clone Trainee (wave 8): Haven't found him yet. Can't say nothing.

Destroyer Droid (wave 8): What, the pack-in of one-half of an opaque shield works against him? Huh? I thought this was the greatest scam ever to make you buy two more of a figure you've already bought ten times before!

Kidhuman
01-03-2008, 07:08 PM
I love the clone trainee. I think its a pretty solid figure. Dont know why he is on there. Anyway my vote goes to Revan, what a complete and utter POS for a fans choice.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-03-2008, 07:14 PM
Han (Gunner), cool figure just needed a little room on his noggin for removeable head gear, then this would have been a winner, but a bad figure...nah, just not needed.

Luke (Farmboy), moisture vap. was really-really cool, this figure looked like crap in the begining but as the run got further in hasbro seemed to touch it up a little, which mine was one of the later since i just broke down and bought this thing not to long ago, and honestly it's the best Farm-Boy luke we've gotten so far in my opinion...so he's not worthy of being the worst...just not the best.

Luke (ROTJ), i don't see why people hate this figure...i actually really, really like this one. Great figure.

Roron, what this figure rocked! *Sigh*

Revan, even as much as i like EU this figure sucked...runner up for the crapiest.

Han and the rack, i liked this figure so i can't say anything bad about it.

General Pharl, have not seen him yet so i can't say anything bad about him.

Clone Trainee, like Pharl hadn't seen him yet so i can't say anything bad about him.

Destroyer Droid...I dont care what i comes with...It's not needed nor wanted by most if anyone in general. So to me this was the worst of both polls...

Devo
01-03-2008, 07:37 PM
I voted for ROTJ luke. Not needed and not even good - terrible actually. Brutal joints, ridiculous softgoods, gloss black outfit that looks like latex, huge hands, spoilt brat facial expression and his skin colour is rather too close to Lando's. The old one was far better.

Tycho
01-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Dude: that is NOT Luke Tatooine, but PHIL COLLINS WITH MOISTURE VAPORATOR - who very well may be the worst figure in the last 2 years!

Give him the credit he is due!

Han Smuggler (wave 2): No problem - just not interesting.

Luke PHIL COLLINS Moisture Farmer (wave 3):I can's sing my praises for this figure enough. He is totally the first Hasbro likeness of the '80s rock star that we've ever had. Now perhaps using Anakin as a stand-in for Sonny Crockett and Lando for Ricardo Tubbs, you can make the first Coruscant Vice diorama!

Luke ROTJ (wave 4): Eh.

Roron Corobb (wave 5): What? He's fun.

Darth Revan (wave 5): Eh.

Han Torture Rack (wave 6): It's really cool that they made this. I'd like to hear Hasbro's rationale for the mis-proportions though.

General Pharl McQuarrie (wave 6): Eh. I wasn't interested.

Clone Trainee (wave 8): This is a cool figure!

Destroyer Droid (wave 8): If you re-paint the shield yellow, you can simulate eggs served over-easy! What's not to like about that. What were we talking about?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I voted Moisture Farmer Luke; you'd think by now he wouldn't suck so bad. The giant head, weird arms, strange face.

ROTJ Luke was somewhat of a missed opportunity, and kind of pointless, but it's still pretty good. Same with Smuggler Han (to a lesser extent). The Destroyer Droid is my favorite version so far, though I think it can still be improved upon.

Kidhuman
01-03-2008, 10:46 PM
What I did was take Lukes head and put in on a stormie body and abra cadabra, Wet Head Luke in Stormie outfit.

jedibear
01-03-2008, 11:29 PM
I went for Farmboy Luke in this one. What a sad disappointment that the most iconic figure of the most iconic character (outside Vader) in the saga gets this truly terrible figure to represent him in the Anniversary collection. It's really sad when the accessory is the only reason you're buying the figure. Where to start...that head! Was that "while the car accident was happening" Hamill on that sculpt? Aacckk...

As for the rest of 'em...
Han (Smuggler) was right up there with Obi-Wan as the recipient of the "most pathetic re-use of a superior figure to pad assortment" award...Jedi Luke: what was with that scarf thing? Why was he sporting a damaged hand with a rancor bone? Odd choices here. Roran Cobb...I actually liked this guy....like the Wolfboy Jedi, he actually is a pretty decent figure when opened...well-detailed and articulated. Rack of Han...again, a pretty scene-specific figure but I thought it looked alright...it was something I never expected to see on a card, that's for sure. Darth Reven...I'm still stunned THIS was the fan choice winner...it's true to the source I guess but it doesn't light me on fire... General Ralph, I like this one..it displays well with his concept figures. Clone Trainee...something I've wanted to see for awhile but I wish his articulation and stance was better.
And finally...Destroyer Droid. Again, it's a re-hash with a big accessory (like ghost Ani, at least they are trying something different) but I like it. The detailing and materials make it look better and thankfully, those insane "working" guns are gone.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I ended up going with the Destroyer Droid because. I considered Moisture Farm Luke and Han Torture Rack, but they come with pretty cool accessories. I don't really care much for Destroyer Droid sculpts, and it sounds like the shield thing may not work that great. Also, you need to buy two to make a full shield. I guess they used up their accessory budget on vaporators, torture racks, drums and bar sections.

figrin bran
01-04-2008, 01:58 AM
I voted for Torture Rack Han but could've easily gone with Moisture Farmer Luke.

I think Darth Malak should've been a candidate instead of Revan. There is a bit of anti KOTOR bias and anti EU bias but even those of us who like the two would concede that while Revan is okay, Malak should've been a better figure.

bigbarada
01-04-2008, 03:03 AM
Wow, three Luke Skywalker figures this year in the TAC line and all three are in the running for worst figure of the year. What does that say?

sebillba
01-04-2008, 04:56 AM
I nearly voted for the Droideka, because it's the only one I really didn't want, but I don't really consider it a new figure, just a kitbash with a useless accessory. Sorry, half a useless accessory.

But in the end, I had to vote for Farmboy Luke. As Jedibear said, this is the most iconic OT character after Vader, and we badly need an ultimate SA version with a good likeness, but this is one of the worst Lukes ever.

JediTricks
01-04-2008, 07:14 AM
I love the clone trainee. I think its a pretty solid figure. Dont know why he is on there. From my post in the other poll just a minute ago:
They're figures that performed exceptionally poorly in the "best" polls, and I whittled that list down a little by choosing ones which also enjoyed little to no positive word-of-mouth when they were originally released.
I'd definitely argue that's the case with the Clone Trainee. I actually gave him moderately positive marks when I got him, but most folks at the time bashed him for not being all that he could be.

Luke (Farmboy), moisture vap. was really-really cool, this figure looked like crap in the begining but as the run got further in hasbro seemed to touch it up a little, which mine was one of the later since i just broke down and bought this thing not to long ago, and honestly it's the best Farm-Boy luke we've gotten so far in my opinion...so he's not worthy of being the worst...just not the best.I've heard this argument previously, and I've yet to see anybody who says they have one of these present a quality photo showing it. I'd very much like to see one like this, I'd absolutely go out and track one down, but at this time I think you guys are all just seeing what you want to see out of it. (<-- rereading that last part, it comes off a little harsh but that's not how it's intended.)

Luke (ROTJ), i don't see why people hate this figure...i actually really, really like this one. Great figure.The vest is half missing; the likeness doesn't really capture it and since it's a modification of an earlier, non-ball-jointed neck design, it further hampers the look; the saber is another recycled POTJ Obi-Wan long saber; and it's just not all it should have been. I agree that it seems folks are overly harsh with it, but that's just my opinion.

Roron, what this figure rocked! *Sigh* He pegwarms pretty hard for a figure that rocks. ;) When he came out, he got blasted with complaints, so his poor performance in the best poll made him an easy choice for this series. It looks like the early results agree with you that he doesn't deserve to be in this class though, but we'll see what happens in 3 days.

General Pharl, have not seen him yet so i can't say anything bad about him.It's the Major Derlin body, and Pharl's head has a slight mullet design which makes it impossible to actually stay on the body's ball-joint neck properly, it constantly pops off and rolls onto the floor. Basically, it's crime is being poorly designed even for a simple retool, and just plain boring.

Where to start...that head! Was that "while the car accident was happening" Hamill on that sculpt? Aacckk...Maybe it's the 4am talking, but I found that incredibly chuckle-inducing. lol I think that is way WAY funnier than Tycho's "Phil Collins" comparison, or any other comparison for that matter.

it sounds like the shield thing may not work that great. Also, you need to buy two to make a full shield. I guess they used up their accessory budget on vaporators, torture racks, drums and bar sections.Yeah, it doesn't work very well at all, it's too small, it's nearly opaque, and it's got a bizarre texture complete with holes. And the reason there aren't 2 isn't monetary - it simply wouldn't fit. :rolleyes:

Wow, three Luke Skywalker figures this year in the TAC line and all three are in the running for worst figure of the year. What does that say?What I've been saying for months now, Hasbro has goofed in the TAC line with every major character's figure to one extent or another. I caught flak from friends on that one when the Hasbro Q&A question got answered, but the reality is that they all suck, and it's especially awful for Luke who is the main hero of the saga we're supposed to be celebrating.

I nearly voted for the Droideka, because it's the only one I really didn't want, but I don't really consider it a new figure, just a kitbash with a useless accessory. Sorry, half a useless accessory.Yeah, if it weren't for that large accessory, I probably wouldn't have even included it in the poll for being a recycle, but the fact that it was a long-planned, wave 8 figure with a large accessory that has been asked for since 1999 kicked it into the list.

jedi master sal
01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Hd to go with the Jedi Luke here. Hated the way the soft goods was done here. Face wasn't all that great. Just a blah figure that I really only got for the coin.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-04-2008, 10:09 AM
I think Darth Malak should've been a candidate instead of Revan.I think he is in the other worst of poll.

Blue2th
01-04-2008, 11:44 AM
I went with the Jedi Luke. This figure just looks wrong. From his nubby knees to his soft goods, etc. I just bought him for the coin too.
Plus this is one of the last figures that needs an ultimate version VTOC or Evolutions upgrade.
That of course factors in to why I voted him as worst.
Some of the other figures mentioned at least have extra pack-ins.

jedi master sal
01-04-2008, 02:30 PM
...Some of the other figures mentioned at least have extra pack-ins.

Agreed. Luke Tatooine has the awesome vaporator (which I bought 5 of just for that purpose and now have extra Luke's to get rid of.

Han Torture rack was the same. I have no plans to remove the figs from the rack, so it's perfectly acceptable to me. Were I looking for the definitive Han here, then I would have been sorely disappointed.

Ji'dai
01-04-2008, 05:27 PM
I voted for the Destroyer Droid. I hate Battle Droids in general and the opaque shield made this one look really stupid.

I only bought four of the nine figures listed in the poll. I passed on Han Smuggler, ROTJ Luke, Roron Corobb, Clone Trainee, and the Destroyer Droid.

I broke down and bought the moisture farmer Luke for the vaporator later in the year, but the figure's likeness is bad. General McQuarrie, Revan, and Torture Han are passable entries.

Snowtrooper
01-04-2008, 06:55 PM
I chose moisture farmer Luke. While the vaporator was nice, the figure wasn't good. The headsculpt ruined what could have been a decent figure.

Devo
01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
I would have voted for Han - the figure itself is worse than ROTJ luke - but he was redeemed by the torture rack and the fact that he would be permanently attached to it, his many flaws therefore being harder to see. Nothing like this can be said for the jedi Luke.

And like the first half of the poll theres some figures listed that didn't deserve to be there - whats wrong with Roronn corob, smuggler Han and General McQuarrie? The latter two are fine for what they're meant to be, apart from Han once again being a skinny runt but thats VOTC's* fault, and in what way could Roron be better?

*VOTC being fine in and of itself but in relation to other figures too skinny

jamesbondo07
01-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Farmer Luke was a easy decision for me. The Evaporator was ok but so many other items that come with figures are so much more detailed in painting. This was just a plain piece of molded plastic with no detail. This figure itself was ok. It was better then Yavin Luke (That's no saying much). However, The likeness of the figure has severe issues and there are no knee joints. The neck joint also does not look right.

Hasbro has just done a horrible job with making Lukes lately. Both polls I have voted for a Luke. They need to come up with a better likeness of his face.

pegger
01-04-2008, 10:24 PM
I voted for Luke - Moisture farmer. While Luke ROTJ was not great - it did have nice details (the shot hand) - which is really the Jabba Barge Luke, not Rancor Luke. The likeness on the Moisture farmer was horrible.

Devo
01-05-2008, 10:00 AM
but luke suffered a scorch mark when shot on the hand - not a gaping red wound.

And by the way - can anyone tell me whats actually wrong with yavin luke apart from the head? Normally I consider myself quite adept at spotting blatantly crap figures but I just don't see why people have such a problem with this figure.

bigbarada
01-05-2008, 12:00 PM

And by the way - can anyone tell me whats actually wrong with yavin luke apart from the head? Normally I consider myself quite adept at spotting blatantly crap figures but I just don't see why people have such a problem with this figure.

The head isn't great, but it's not as bad as everyone says, IMO (I don't really care that much about perfect likenesses at this scale). However, the body is great, excellent articulation, great detail. Everything about this figure is head and shoulders above the original POTF2 version... apart from a slightly dodgy face sculpt.

Maybe it's because I grew up during the vintage days and actor likenesses on action figures were almost non-existent.

obi-dad
01-06-2008, 12:06 AM

You know, I never even noticed how much the head didn't look like Luke until everyone else was complaining. I still think this is a pretty good figure, though. How many years have we had poor likeness of Leia, Padme, and other figures.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 01:10 AM
I finally settled on Luke Tatooine. He's useless, especially since we've had about sixty versions before, and all but the 1995 He-Man version are better figures.

The Yavin Luke, IMHO, sucks so badly because his joints look ridiculous. And the sculpt is lacking. And the paint application on every one I've seen (and it's a large number) is beyond shoddy. Someone should've been fired over this pice of carp.

plasticfetish
01-06-2008, 06:46 AM
Well... none of these figures are terrible, but I've only bought maybe three out of the lot. It all comes down to a question of which one I'm least likely to buy even if I find it on clearance. Jedi Luke gets my vote. The rest have some merit or could be fun in some way, but I'm not interested in that Luke figure at all.

Devo
01-06-2008, 01:07 PM
I finally settled on Luke Tatooine. He's useless, especially since we've had about sixty versions before, and all but the 1995 He-Man version are better figures.

The Yavin Luke, IMHO, sucks so badly because his joints look ridiculous. And the sculpt is lacking. And the paint application on every one I've seen (and it's a large number) is beyond shoddy. Someone should've been fired over this pice of carp.

The joints?? Of all things I wouldn't have pointed to the joints as being poorly done and I really can't stand badly done joints. I have the figure in my hand. I'm looking at the joints specifically - if you're talking about the ball-jointed head I agree - they usually are ridiculous looking - yet even on this figure the collar of the jacket semi-disguises it. But I have a feeling you're not talking about that. The leg joints? Certainly no worse than on a lot of great figures. See Jedi Luke for properly s**t leg joints. I can't fathom that you're talking about the legs either which leaves only the arms. Elbows? Jedi Luke and VTAC bespin Luke are far worse examples - bulky and protruding respectively. Shoulders? Likewise these look worse on Jedi luke and bespin Luke. Now this needn't absolve this figure from fault by saying there are 'worse' ones however I just don't get why this figure registers so extremely in anyone's mind as 'horrible' and an abomination. Are you all sure you got a decent example of the figure? I can possibly conceive of there being gaps in the shoulder jointing where they may have been skewed during production but mine are fine.

The only faults as I see them:

Head - crap as always, unusually pale, eyebrows unpainted on a great many that I've seen, brown hair - not even a hint of it being blonde. Solution - head swap

Wrong lightsabre hilt - solution - replace

possibly wrong blaster - solution - replace

Right arm possibly longer than left arm - solution - tuck that arm behind his back

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I think he is in the other worst of poll.Yuppers. What I did was make a list of the lowest-voted figures from every wave's best poll and then put the even figures in this poll and the odd figures in the other poll, that way it split up weak waves - like wave 6 - better.

And like the first half of the poll theres some figures listed that didn't deserve to be there - whats wrong with Roronn corob, smuggler Han and General McQuarrie? The latter two are fine for what they're meant to be, apart from Han once again being a skinny runt but thats VOTC's* fault, and in what way could Roron be better?

*VOTC being fine in and of itself but in relation to other figures too skinnySmuggler Han, some people just don't like his weird head sculpt, there's something a little off about how they did it, it's like cartoony, and the headset's not removable. General McQuarrie is only a new head on an existing body, and even then they couldn't design it right so it just pops off, plus it's a very dull figure. Roron was the first pegwarmer of wave 5, he's in the non-cartoon line yet they designed him with a slightly cartoony paint scheme (eyes) and sculpt - plus, I think he looks out of place, his body design doesn't really match his head that well.

Also, Han Smuggler being based on the VOTC means it's flawed out of the gate, starting there was dubious.

And by the way - can anyone tell me whats actually wrong with yavin luke apart from the head? Normally I consider myself quite adept at spotting blatantly crap figures but I just don't see why people have such a problem with this figure.The headsculpt is questionable, there's a great picture of the character on the card front which looks ZIP like the figure in the bubble, with its weird smirk and thick hair and just all around oddness. The "vest" part of the jacket is phoned it with little sculpting and sloppy paint. The shoulder, elbow, and knee articulation all stand out too much. Both accessories are junk and the saber is Vader's yet again. And the paint is wonky with chocolate brown hair, sickly skin tone, and "hard" eyes.

Anyway, my vote went to Han Torture Rack, the rack is somewhat disappointing with limited sculpt and paint, but the figure is what dooms this set. The head sculpt is bizarre and horrible, the upper body is sloppily designed, and the lower body is a significantly smaller scale. This one aimed higher so it fell harder.

Honestly, I cannot imagine how anybody who claims to be OK with this set because they're not taking Han out of the rack can look at that headsculpt and not wince, it's one of the worst-looking things they've ever done.

From this list, I didn't buy:
Roron Corobb
Darth Revan

Eep! The other list I didn't buy 5, this list it's just those 2.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I didn't say he was the only figure this year with bad joints, or that he had the worst joints overall. I think most of the early figures have horrible joints. Most of them aren't in garish yellow that makes them stand out, though.

Devo
01-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Ok. Wierd, because I normally identify poor joints all by myself without anyone elses influence, but I just don't class Yavin Luke as having bad joints. I don't feel that their being yellow makes them stand out more. I don't think any of his joints protrude awkwardly (ala bespin Luke's elbows or the knees on Evolutions Count Dooku), except for that small bit at the shoulders which is almost hidden under the jacket. And I don't think the joints are noticeably bulky (ROTJ luke, DStrooper) which has been the other sometime problem with balljoints. The paint on my figure is fine, apart from the head which I swapped for a VTSC X-wing head (a head I'm not fond of either but it was at least better). The lightsaber is a silly mistake the likes of which one doesn't know how Hasbro keep making but not disastrous.

But a few people see problems with it and theres no smoke without fire I guess. Now I know how baffled the ROTJ luke supporters must feel when I launch into an attack on that figure...though I think and hope that more people see the flaws in that POS than the Yavin luke.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-07-2008, 07:40 PM
But a few people see problems with it and theres no smoke without fire I guess. Now I know how baffled the ROTJ luke supporters must feel when I launch into an attack on that figure...though I think and hope that more people see the flaws in that POS than the Yavin luke.I don't think that figure has any supporters, just people who dislike other figures more.