PDA

View Full Version : How much does the internet influence your collecting habits?

jjreason
01-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Seriously. Let's think about this. Does belonging to an online community influence your collecting? Do you ever spend more than your allotted collectibles budget to "keep up with the Joneses" or for fear that items you want will be sold out if you don't BUY THEM NOW??? Do you shop more frequently for Star Wars when you read an exciting "just found" report from your area (and in the process wind up buying more stuff than you would otherwise)? Would you still be involved in the hobby (collecting I mean, this internet thing is a hobby in and of itself) if it weren't for the internet?

I think the internet, namely this community and others like it, are HUGELY influential on my spending. It's simple - without the internet, I wouldn't even know half this stuff existed, let alone try to track it down. I'm sure I would have stopped collecting a LONG time ago if it hadn't been for the online contacts I've made here and the endless supply of hobby news the internet provides.

What do you think?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-04-2008, 08:06 PM
I agree. I remember finding about the Ewok two-pack in a magazine several years ago, a few months after they came out. Now, we know every single thing a few months in advance.

I've gone to stores on a few occasions after reading "Just Found" reports here and elsewhere, and I've been able to find figures for other people and have the favor returned.

bigbarada
01-04-2008, 09:55 PM
I remember as a kid you would only find out about new figures from TV commercials, on the cardbacks or getting surprised by them in toy aisles. There was a certain magic to holding a figure in your hand that you never even knew existed two minutes earlier; but I don't know if I could do that nowadays. It's just so easy to pop online and get a sneak peak at new figures months before they are even released.

Plus, using this year as an example, there are many figures I never would have known to even look for if not for the internet. My Wal-Mart never got a single case of the VTAC figures, so I would have been completely oblivious to three of the greatest Star Wars action figures to ever be made (Snowtrooper, Bossk, IG-88) and probably missed out on them completely unless I just happened to walk into the aisle of an out of town Wal-Mart.

Then of course, there're the peer influences, which do have SOME effect on my opinions of the figures, no matter how much I try to deny it. Similar to the "cool" figures and the "uncool" figures on the playground when I was a kid. Of course, it's a bummer when you like a figure that everyone else seems to hate, but every once in a while popular opinion will get you to take a second look at a figure that you might not have considered.

For example, I was so annoyed with the Jangohead under the VTAC Snowtrooper's helmet that I never really gave the figure a chance. However, reading about the constant praise that this figure receives has gotten me to really reconsider my opinion of it. Now that I can kind of look past the prequel influence, I see that it really is one of the best Star Wars figures made and definitely the best trooper figure we have ever gotten.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Back in the Vintage days, there weren't many figures, so it was easy to put them all on the cardback. You'd know about knew figures when you saw them in the store. Now there are so many figures that it is difficult to keep up. You need the internet to keep up with what is available. That doesn't really affect what I collect though, as I will collect most of the basic figures. You can never be sure which figures will stick around and which ones will be hard to find so I almost always buy now rather than take a chance on them going on clearance.

Slicker
01-04-2008, 11:16 PM
I've gone to stores on a few occasions after reading "Just Found" reports here and elsewhere, and I've been able to find figures for other people and have the favor returned.The Just Found sections have had me spending alot of money. After I got banned from RS I'd still look through them and run out and buy up stuff before the rest of the people there could get 'em then I'd come home and check the forum and see them bi**h and moan about how someone must be watching the forums. In the words of Hyena "HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!"

Neuroleptic
01-05-2008, 12:08 AM
It dosn't affect me too much honestly. I usualy use the net to find out what's out, but for the most part I only buy a few figures regardless of what everyone likes or not. My collection is nearly compleat because of lack of room, so it wont be long before I stop collecting for a while. As for buying it right now for three times the price? I find if you wait a year or so, alot of the figures that come out now can be found for next to nothing loose. This is helpful for my army biulding.

figrin bran
01-05-2008, 01:12 AM
If I had never seen pictures of people's clone and stormtrooper armies, I would never have bought mass quantities of said figures to make my own armies.

Neuroleptic
01-05-2008, 11:25 AM
My little army of clone troopers isn't truly an army per say. It's 2 red shock troopers, 4 orange Utapau troopers (different types) 4 501st clone troopers (different types) and 4 white clone troopers (also different types each) That's all I plan to get.

The army of stormtroopers is several versions of the sand trooper, and two clone troopers. That one is one I have always wanted to see since I was a little kid. Just a mess load of stormtroopers guarding a shuttle ramp. I topped that dream with a restored AT-At to go with the shuttle ^_^

jedi master sal
01-05-2008, 11:35 AM
If I had never seen pictures of people's clone and stormtrooper armies, I would never have bought mass quantities of said figures to make my own armies.

Now don't go blaming me.....lol.

jedi master sal
01-05-2008, 11:43 AM
The net and more specifically collecting sites do play a big role in my collecting.
First and foremost it's about information.

When and where stuff is coming out, for how much, exclusive or not, etc.

Getting all that from SSG and the like has a clear impact.

Beyond that, the friendships and trading relationships I've built up over the years have made it much easier to attain my collecting goals. Without that help I have no doubt I wouldn't be the big army builder I am/was.

Of course buying from e-tailers has become something ever increasing for me. I find it easier and ultimately cheaper to do so. Yeah, that takes away from the thrill of the hunt, but I got over that last year or so. Collecting became more a job and I wasn't liking that. So switching to buying a majority of stuff online, be that e-tailers, fellow collectors through trades, or eBay, became readily apparent.

Overall, I'm quite pleased with my experience on the net with regards to collecting.

I also have no doubts that had the net not existed, I wouldn't have spent anywhere near as much money.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-05-2008, 03:17 PM
The Just Found sections have had me spending alot of money. After I got banned from RS I'd still look through them and run out and buy up stuff before the rest of the people there could get 'em then I'd come home and check the forum and see them bi**h and moan about how someone must be watching the forums. In the words of Hyena "HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!"
Yeah, thanks to RS, I found a buttload of new figures a few months ago. Thanks, guys! :thumbsup:

I remember as a kid you would only find out about new figures from TV commercials, on the cardbacks or getting surprised by them in toy aisles. There was a certain magic to holding a figure in your hand that you never even knew existed two minutes earlier; but I don't know if I could do that nowadays.
I don't really remember this happening to me with SW, but in 1995 or 1996, I really wanted Toy Story toys the same size as the ones in the movie, but had so far only found smaller action figures. It was a great day at Biggs when I found the "real-size" Buzz and Woody. :D

I wonder what ever happened to that store . . .

El Chuxter
01-05-2008, 03:25 PM
How do you get banned from Rebelscum? Did you diss GNT or something? Or maybe posted something about a Saga Padme figure in the ROTS forum? I understand that's more offensive to them than smacking babies.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-05-2008, 04:59 PM
I use it for information. Imagine that; a global information network used for that very purpose. :rolleyes: Actual buying? Not much, if any, aside from trades/sales from those online. I don't believe I've ever bought any non-comic/book SW collectibles online at all.

El Chuxter
01-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Mostly for info as to what's hitting, and to see if responses to items are overwhelmingly negative or positive. Other than that, I don't take reviews too much into account. If there's a figure that looks like butt carded, but everyone loves, I'll consider it.

I buy very little online as far as collectibles, since the paint application is far more important to me than card condition. (I usually take several minutes in the store comparing each available figure to pick the best.)

I buy most of my books and such online. I'm considering possibly ordering The Force Unleashed online, if no brick-and-mortars run any awesome deals, since I can get it tax-free and with free shipping from several sites. I'm weird; in most cases, I can wait an extra week if I'm saving only a dollar.

Kidhuman
01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
The internet has een helpful on whats coming up aqnd what is out. I used to be at a loss before coming to SSG on what was eing released. It has helped me intrades, sales, selling stuff and the whole nine.

I have started ordering stuff online and splitting the stuff with people from work or Slick. Unlike Chux, paint apps dont bother me too much.