PDA

View Full Version : ToyFair Pics....first impressions...

jedibear
02-12-2002, 12:51 AM
Whew! With all the activity around here centering around ToyFair and the great new images of AOTC spinning off many different topic-starters, I thought I'd consolidate a topic down to just some intail impressions....

First off, let me thank the gang here at SirSteve's for another job well done in getting us an organized variety of images to drool over...great effort as always.

Now, some of my first impressions...

Looks like the displays were well thought out and neat to look at. While we spoiler hounds know there's alot we DON'T see in this intail offering (Kaminos, Wedding stuff, more Amidala, other plot-point heavy figures or sets), I'm amazed how much we DO see this early. The arena beasts, the varied jedi, Dooku (and detailed descriptions concerning him), the Gunship....all great appetite-whetters, but pretty spoiler-heavy for those who want to remain as spoiler free as possible. I guess anyone wandering through those doors at ToyFair must have known what they were in for....and for us who appreciate the spoilers (they sure won't keep us from multiple viewings, huh?) Hasbro's efforts are great.

Now some specifics....

We've seen the packaging for awhile now so no surprises here....it's nice to see the Action Collection boxes while sliming down around the figures some may still be pretty sturdy. (although looking at that SuperBattle Droid...they must have a special box ready for that...it's awfully broad looking for that packaging...we'll see). While I'm unsure about the looks of this initial wave...the Obi-Wan's robes look too dark, Ani's hair too blond & the Clonetrooper's gear isn't quite right & the Super Trooper looks pretty rigid...the Dooku sculpt looks real good. As always with the AC, I'll wait till I see 'em "in person" to reserve final judgement. Great news seeing the last two classic bounty hunters getting done...like the Imp Officer too. Also, it's nice to see them giving Jango a big treatment right off the bat (with the cool 100th figure-style packaging to boot) Is it true the body for this figure will actually have more articulation than the standard ones? (Which of course leads to the question, why not use the better body for ALL the figures, but that's another well-worn debate for another time....)

The figures....well folks, love 'em or hate 'em, it looks like the dynamic poses are here to stay...at least in these intail figures. That's alright with me. I like the more action-oriented versions of Plo & Tinn better than the POTJ static versions. I really like the more exotic looking knights we're getting like Shaak Ti, Lumenara, Kit Fisto & that cool looking Nitko Jedi. Strangely MIA is Ki Adi Mundi...
Even Jar Jar in his senate get-up is a bit of an action pose...hmmm, you think that bumbeling Gungun gets into the action a little? (I know many of you are cringing at the thought...)
The senate figures of Orn Free Taa and Palpy look suitably regal (no Bail Organa yet, though).
I like the smattering of classic figures we'll be seeing too...the endor rebels, another cantina denizen and (unpictured) new versions of Luke & Vader ala Bespin...hopefully with the same detail we've seen with the Anniversary sets....

Vehicle lovers should be rejoicing...what a line-up! Two speeders, a jedi starfighter, a revamped Slave One (is Hasbro getting the mileage outta that mold or WHAT?!?) and most impressive of all, that Republic Gunship! Very nice.
My lingering question on the vehicles is...do we get exclusive figures with them? In the case of the speeders the currently seen versions of Ani, Obi & Zam won't fit in these, so what gives?

Beasts....um, sorry if I don't pick these up right away but none of the designs really jump out at me or seem that original (especially the Acklay...looks like some interbreeding between the Alien Queen, the Starship Trooper bugs and that lame alien from ID4...not very original). Oh well. maybe seeing them in action in the movie will inspire me....

That huge looking Arena Playset.....again, does it come with a figure or two? It looks a little kiddy-like to me, but with the exception of the Royal Starship (hey, Hasbro calls it a playset) I haven't ever really been impressed with the playsets...I passed on the Episode One ones...

Those sculptures....name escapes me. Not gonna bother.
Not into lego (not knocking it for those who are though)

All n' all, a good looking start to me!
How 'bout everyone else?