PDA

View Full Version : When you watch the movies now....

stillakid
01-06-2008, 12:50 AM
What is the reason you watch any of the Star Wars movies now? Do you typically just decide then pop in the DVDs? Or is it more likely that you are just channel hopping and stop when you find a Star Wars movie by accident? Or maybe you aren't really interested in watching the movies at all anymore... :ermm:

I wonder because way back when I was still riding the bus to school, I remember one of my friends had one of the first VCRs for home use (top loader!). I remember that he got Star Wars (when it was just "Star Wars") on VHS ($80) and I fantasized about the day when I could have a VCR too so I could have the movie on a loop playing all day long. Of course I was young and my priorities have changed a bit over the years...

So I no longer have that desire for Star Wars on a loop, but when flipping through, if I catch one of the movies by accident, it still catches my attention. I don't always have time to watch the whole thing, but I'll stop for a few minutes anyway.

You?

jjreason
01-06-2008, 07:48 AM
I typically get thinking about one sequence or quick scene (and that's usually because of some conversation going on at one of these types of places) and want to have a look. I watch the first 30 minutes of ESB on a monthly basis - and likely will forever.... I just don't get sick of it.

My son will ask for Star Wars from time to time as well, but if his sister is around it usually gets vetoed in favor of "Channel 51" (family "with the magic of Disney!") :rolleyes: unless we go right to the Ewok celebration - which my kids watch with the same interest as I watch Hoth. To mix them up, I flip in the non-SE version from time to time as the Ewok song makes me happy. :D

Bel-Cam Jos
01-06-2008, 08:48 AM
I watch movies in general for the same purpose I ever have: to escape from "real life" for a brief moment. Star Wars movies always provide a connection to a certain time and place for me, so I can remember what I was doing in 1978 (first time I saw SW), 1980, 1983, 1999, 2002, 2005, plus any of the many times I caught them on VHS, cable, or DVD. Also, with several SW friends, it's an easy way to get reacquainted after a lapse in meeting together, as they too have similiar associations with the films.

Like jjr, I also check out specific scenes, the wonderful feature of DVDs, to either confirm the truth (i.e. win a bet :p ), check a minute detail or correct line, or just recall the scene overall.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
When I watch the movies now, I usually plan it out weeks in advance. I drink a lot of Fresca and sit naked in the floor in front of the TV, eating bon-bons until I fall asleep. Or until I get to the droid factory and have to take the DVD out.

Honest answer: they play them so much on HBO recently, and I tune in if nothing else's on. They're on TV so often I haven't broken out the discs in quite a while.

Devo
01-06-2008, 12:18 PM
Inspired by looking at my toys sometimes and then vica versa.

Rocketboy
01-06-2008, 12:46 PM
Rarely will I pop in a dvd. The last time I did was May 2007 on the 30th anniversary and I watched for maybe 15 minutes. The rest of the time it played in the background while I did other things.
I have thought about watching Clone Wars and Beneath The Dome recently though.
I will flip to it on HBO when I see they are on mainly to see if I can guess where it is at (I get surprisingly close).
The other day I flipped to A New Hope and left it on and starting reciting it line for line just bug my wife.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-06-2008, 01:42 PM
Lately I've been watching them with a friend who's never seen them. It's been quite interesting as she's pointed out things I hadn't considered or had misconceptions that I wouldn't think of (she initially thought that Uncle Owen in ANH was Obi-Wan, for instance, and thought that Commander Fox was Boba or something). She knew Vader was Luke's father and that Luke and Leia were twins, and was asking why C-3PO wasn't gold, and stuff. Yup.

Anyway, I like to watch them each at least once a year. In 2007, I watched all six before Celebration IV and then watched all three versions of ANH later in the year to compare them. I then got through I-IV again before the new year, and will be watching V and VI soon.

I don't want to overdo it by watching them a lot, but I really never get sick of them (as shown in my ability to remain interested in ANH after seeing it three times in three days). I don't have HBO and I don't really like to watch selected scenes if they're on TV, but I do occasionally check bits and pieces to see about dialogue or details for figures, etc.

TeeEye7
01-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Since I went into debt last year purchasing a 46" HDTV, I'll watch the movies to check out what's happening in the background, rather than concentrating on the principle action. I see something new almost every time, thanks to the larger image that my old eyes couldn't pick up before. :yes:

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Sadly, I don't. With all of Lucas' reimaginings and the prequels unwatchable (in that, no matter how much I may want to, I cannot unwatch them), the OT is kinda tainted for me. I had a better time watching Family Guy's parody, it reminded me how much I used to enjoy watching ANH before the dark times.

bigbarada
01-06-2008, 08:44 PM
I can't really remember that last time I sat down and watched one of the Star Wars films. I might play them once in a while when I'm doing other stuff and just have them running in the background; but then I'll usually lose interest and turn them off a few minutes in to see what's on TV.

But that's normal for me with DVDs, I watch them once or twice when I first buy them, then never touch them again.

Kidhuman
01-06-2008, 09:02 PM
I have been watching the hell out of them on HBO/MAX lately. One of the movies is usually on. I havent watched the DVD's in a long time. If I am flipping through and its on, I will always watch it for a bit or even the rest of the movie.

My kid watches the VHS version(still ave a VCR yes) alot.

stillakid
01-06-2008, 10:29 PM
Since I went into debt last year purchasing a 46" HDTV, I'll watch the movies to check out what's happening in the background, rather than concentrating on the principle action. I see something new almost every time, thanks to the larger image that my old eyes couldn't pick up before. :yes:

If you happen to see a plot floating around back there, let us know! :yes:

TeeEye7
01-07-2008, 03:52 PM
I'll let you know! ;)

....I seem to have most problems with E-1 thru E-III.....

mark2d2
01-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Often, if I can't sleep, I pop in the ANH DVD. Wait, no, this isn't a slam on ANH. But it comforts me and I often get so caught up in it that I am soon no longer worried that it is four a.m. and I have to get up in a few hours. . . Also, as I know that movie backwards and forwards, I sometimes zone out and drift off, usually around the time Luke takes his new droids to the garage. . .

I actually pop in all three NON-SE original films quite a bit whenever I am down or depressed. I tend to watch ANH the most. Followed by ESB with ROTJ a distant third.

Sometime, if I am REALLY having a geek out moment I'll get out my Sandcrawler and all that goes along with it.

Jargo
01-08-2008, 10:33 AM
I almost always watch the OT with the sound off. look past the actors at the sets and props. that's really where my interest lies. same with the PT. i really don't care about the story or plot points. i just like the design work.

but viewing these days is rare. if a movie is on tv it's almost always ignored. freeze frame viewing on my PC is the only way i watch.