PDA

View Full Version : How could Porkins eject?

Battle Droid
01-08-2008, 01:43 PM
He didn't have on a oxygen mask.

Droid
01-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe the entire cockpit can eject, as a little escape pod, leaving behind the shell of the X-wing.

Exhaust Port
01-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Starwars.com has a little blurb about the ejection seat:

http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/xwing/?id=eu

In emergencies, the X-wing's Guidenhauser ejection seat can throw the pilot clear of the fighter. Separator charges blast the cockpit canopy free, and also launch the astromech unit from the socket.

Makes it sound like it wouldn't be a good idea in space and geared for crashing in the atmosphere of a planet. One could assume that the ejection seat would be modified for space flight with some breath apparatus or something.

Slicker
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Maybe the entire cockpit can eject, as a little escape pod, leaving behind the shell of the X-wing.That's exactly what I thought when I read the title.

JediTricks
01-08-2008, 09:08 PM
In the Thrawn trilogy, Luke quickly throws on the facemask and ejects from the cockpit. This is represented in Hasbro's recent Heir to the Empire Comics 2-pack with Luke & Mara, that's why his helmet has that mask part.

bigbarada
01-09-2008, 12:39 AM
I guess it's a relic from the old screenplays that had the Rebel pilots with full-faced helmets similar to the TIE Pilots. Then someone decided that, for the sake of the audience, the good guys' faces needed to be visible or it would be tough for anyone to care whether they lived or died. Definitely the right filmmaking decision, but it just makes that one line kind of a head-scratcher.

I like the "removable facemask" explanation best, in terms of trying to explain it away within the framework of the story.

Slicker
01-09-2008, 01:45 AM
How would a removable face mask work? If they get thrown out into the vacuum of space with only the flight suit and face mask I think they might be crushed. It's not as if they have air seals around there boots and gloves (look in Jedi how Luke simply pulls the glove on with no seal).

Exhaust Port
01-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Quick donning face mask would take care of the oxygen requirement but getting thrown in to the vacuum of space with a jumpsuit on would lead to a quick death.

El Chuxter
01-09-2008, 11:46 AM
And here I was, so sure this was going to be a joke about how he'd get stuck.

Jargo
01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
have you people not seen event horizon? 'Splodey eyes!!!!!!!!

El Chuxter
01-09-2008, 02:36 PM
But we've seen Total Recall, and we know that you get better once the oxygen is restored.

(Only real flaw of that movie, but it was a doozy of a flaw.)

JediTricks
01-09-2008, 03:04 PM
How would a removable face mask work? If they get thrown out into the vacuum of space with only the flight suit and face mask I think they might be crushed. It's not as if they have air seals around there boots and gloves (look in Jedi how Luke simply pulls the glove on with no seal).How would they be crushed? It's not like diving where there's increased pressure, it's a vacuum. They might freeze, but I can't see how they'd be crushed. If exposed to the vacuum, their hands would have capillaries popping on the surface, but except for the lack of temperature, they'd be pretty much in the same condition physically.

Also, Heir to the Empire made it clear that the pilot's suit, gloves, and boots did seal up around the wearer.

General_Grievous
01-09-2008, 05:49 PM
But we've seen Total Recall, and we know that you get better once the oxygen is restored.

"Come on, Cohagen! Give da people air!"

Exhaust Port
01-09-2008, 08:28 PM
How would they be crushed? It's not like diving where there's increased pressure, it's a vacuum. They might freeze, but I can't see how they'd be crushed. If exposed to the vacuum, their hands would have capillaries popping on the surface, but except for the lack of temperature, they'd be pretty much in the same condition physically.

The biggest concern would be the huge pressure change. All the gas infused in your blood and filling your lungs and gastrointestinal system would have nothing holding it back and it would rapidly expand, possibly with deadly results. On a slower but similar situation as "The Bends" for divers but a lot worse. Don't hold your breath and let the farts rip would be your savior. Holding your breath would pop your lungs.

I found this article online which is pretty cool:

http://www.sff.net/people/geoffrey.landis/vacuum.html

The only thing the article doesn't take into account regarding temperature is a star. They are only assuming the unfortunate astronaut is in deep, dark space, not close to a star. Outside of the shade of a spaceship our astronauts see temperatures in excess of 400F thanks to a lack of an atmosphere to dilute the sun's power.

If someone were unfortunate to eject in the vicinity of a star without a proper pressurized space suit I think the combination of a lack of pressure and being cooked by the solar radiation would make short work of the pilot. That would make your blood boil.

stillakid
01-10-2008, 01:15 AM

No no. There was the bit with the chick with three boobs. Everyone knows that mutated Martian babes would have FOUR boobs. :rolleyes:

darthvyn
01-10-2008, 01:55 PM
And here I was, so sure this was going to be a joke about how he'd get stuck.

first thing that came to my mind as well.

bobafrett
01-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Even if he ejected, who would have time to stop by and pick him up? He would be doomed being trapped on the surface of the Death Star, and we all know what happened to that.........click, click......BOOM!

stillakid
01-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Even if he ejected, who would have time to stop by and pick him up? He would be doomed being trapped on the surface of the Death Star, and we all know what happened to that.........click, click......BOOM!

Aw man, I haven't seen it yet! :mad:

jediguy
01-16-2008, 12:07 PM
maybe Porkins was referring to ejecting the damaged part of his ship, like how the (gasp) Enterprise would have to eject the warp core before it breeched?
his X wing would be without navigation and have a small power supply, but he could be rescued if they got to him in time
just a theory

JediTricks
01-16-2008, 06:16 PM
That would have been pretty funny, poor Porkins floating around the DS and then getting pushed away when it exploded. :D

stillakid
01-16-2008, 09:02 PM
That would have been pretty funny, poor Porkins floating around the DS and then getting pushed away when it exploded. :D

I smell an Expanded (and I mean EXPANDED) Universe story in the making... :thumbsup: