PDA

View Full Version : Best Vintage-style Figure of 2007

JediTricks
01-09-2008, 03:53 PM
Continuing the "best of 2007" poll series...

Which figure do you consider the best from 2007's Vintage-style line?

You can use whatever criteria you wish to determine your favorite, whether it be articulation, paint, packaging, even the figure's mail-away coin.

Please keep in mind that you must be logged into the forums to vote.

El Chuxter
01-09-2008, 03:56 PM
They all cost too much, and thus are all losers. Though that Leia is the loserest.

JediTricks
01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
That's an exciting argument, sir. :p

CaptainSolo1138
01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
I didn't buy any, since they're all the the same thing as the first figure of each I have, just different.

bigbarada
01-09-2008, 04:31 PM
This is an extremely difficult decision for me to make and I've been mulling it over ever since these polls began. This wave has three of the greatest Star Wars figures ever made that I believe were a bargain at only $10 each.

Bossk - probably the most unnecessary of my top three, but just an amazing example of what Hasbro is capable of when they put their minds to it. Probably my favorite "overall package" from this set, since the cardbacks are a big draw of this line.

IG-88 - a technical masterpiece on par with the POTJ FX-7. The only possible flaw is one of durability.

Snowtrooper - it took me a while to get past the Jango-head, but when I did I realized that this really is a masterpiece of a figure. One of the few figures that you can stand side by side with a photograph of the character and it looks like a perfect replica. Aside from the head underneath, my only complaint would be the strange pinkish-grey wash on the helmet, when in the film the helmets were a shiny, pure white. But it's a minor quibble that can hopefully be fixed in a future rerelease.

So, who do I vote for?

Bossk who I think is most interesting as a whole package on the card?

IG-88 who just deserves some recognition for being a milestone in the Star Wars line; but is just not a character I am super interested in?

Snowtrooper, who is currently my favorite, but has minor flaws that should be fixed in the future?

I can't decide just yet, I'll come back later.

bigbarada
01-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Okay, it's later, I voted for the Snowtrooper, Jango-head and all.:cool:

And for the three people who voted for Leia, let me remind you that this is the "BEST OF" poll, not the "worst of" poll.:confused:

DarthQuack
01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
My vote went to the Snowtrooper....always seemed a little under-rated being in the battle on the cold planet of Hoth.

Kidhuman
01-09-2008, 05:09 PM
I voted for the Snowtrooper. I really liked this figure and was awaiting a really good one. I dont care about the Jango head, since the helmet never comes off.

And for the three people who voted for Leia, let me remind you that this is the "BEST OF" poll, not the "worst of" poll.:confused:

I think Leia was a pretty solid figure, better than Luke, Han and Bossk IMO. Everyone has their own opinion(cue Perry Farrel) and I could see Leia snagging a few votes from others.

bigbarada
01-09-2008, 05:11 PM
Of the three remaining figures, I would rank Han Hoth at a distant #4. Just too many things went wrong for him to be a good figure.

Luke Bespin is good and would be a stellar figure with an all-new head sculpt.

Leia Endor is just a complete waste for me. She looks comically bad standing next to the VTSC Endor Han and Saga Endor Luke. The poncho is too big and the ball-joint neck is horribly executed, so she doesn't even look good without the poncho. The figure just has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Easily the single worst figure of 2007 for me.

bigbarada
01-09-2008, 05:15 PM
I think Leia was a pretty solid figure, better than Luke, Han and Bossk IMO. Everyone has their own opinion(cue Perry Farrel) and I could see Leia snagging a few votes from others.

I know that some people like her, but she's one of the rare figures that, IMO, are so bad it just ****es me off. Anakin Spirit looked horrible from the prototypes so I expected him to be bad. ROTJ Luke from wave 4 was more of a disappointment; but I know we'll see another version within 2 years.

The Leia figure just ticked me off, because I couldn't find any redeemable qualities with her and I know that we will probably never see another version of Endor Leia.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-09-2008, 05:29 PM
I chose the Snowtrooper, which is just awesome all around. Bossk and IG-88 are too, but they were somewhat unnecessary, I feel.

sebillba
01-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Bossk for me. I didn't think a remake was needed, but it turned out to be one of the most awesome figures ever. I think Snowtrooper will probably win, but it's marred for me by the soft goods.

Devo
01-09-2008, 06:33 PM
My vote went to IG-88 because I feel it was the biggest improvement over previous versions. Not my favourite character or favourite looking character but the figure is superb.

Bossk is a cooler character and the figure is faultless IMO but the saga figure, though inferior certainly, isn't massively outdone by this figure.

Bespin Luke is good but its not all it should have been, having no peghole for the lightsabre hilt, another useless likeness, angular elbow and shoulder joints and hes a bit tall I think.

I like Hoth Han. I wanted a hood down version since we'd never gotten one before. A good if not amazing figure.

The snowtrooper is great but for the pinkish helmet - odd choice.

Endor Leia fails on a two very important levels. The poncho is completely the wrong color and too big as it looks like they cheaped out and reused the endor Luke's one. Secondly theres that dismal head. Another dollface (the other being VOTC) and easily the worst balljoint neck they've ever done - for me a prime argument against having such a headjoint in a figure this size. I like the rest of the sculpt though.

Battle Droid
01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
IG-88 gets my vote.

jamesbondo07
01-09-2008, 06:57 PM
I voted for the Snowtrooper. Bossk and IG-88 were a close 2nd and 3rd.

TheRealDubya
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
I loved them all, but Bossk was simply beyond tremendous. I love the card art, the sculpting, the pilot's webbing, the paint app, the blaster and, most of all, the moving mouth.

Bossk was always a favorite of mine as a kid, and this is that toy done to perfection and all grown up. Now we just need Dengar and Zuckuss and I am good on ESB.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-09-2008, 08:22 PM
Snowtrooper got my first vote. Great likeness(with helmet on of course), articulation, and minus the helmet deco, paint and weathering are pretty darn good too.

At a close second are Bossk, and IG-88 because both are great. Now just get us SA versions of Dengar and Zuckuss.

Snowtrooper
01-10-2008, 12:07 AM
I chose IG-88, mainly cause of the great sculpting. On previous versions, all of the wiring, hoses, and other parts were molded all into one piece. On this version, all of those things are separate pieces, which gives it a realistic look. The articulation was another surprise. I thought the limbs would be too spindly to give it decent articulation, but they did a great job on it. The joints all seem to be nice and tight, although too tight in some cases. There was also a decent amount of accessories packed with it too.

1. IG-88

2. Snowtrooper-This was a very close second for me. It looks exactly like the picture on the card. The soft goods really work on it and its nice to finally have the articulation on this type of trooper. I wasn't too crazy about the wide stance, but thats a minor complaint on this figure. As partial as I am to snowtroopers, IG-88 was a better figure.

3. Han Solo Hoth-The likeness of the headsculpt was very accurate, even though the eyes were problematic. Too bad the headgear didn't work either

4. Bossk-The definitive version of this character, but I thought the earlier ones were pretty good.

5. Bespin Luke-I didn't think the headsculpt was too bad, but with a better one this figure would have rocked.

6. Endor Leia-Not too bad, but not too great either.

bigbarada
01-10-2008, 07:53 AM
Wow, Leia's tied with IG-88, what's the deal with that?

obi-dad
01-10-2008, 08:19 AM
Well, I guess I should have put more thought into this. I really like all the figures, but I haven't opened any, other than one of my snowtroopers, yet... so my opinion could change when getting them out of the package. I just went with Snowtrooper, since it "seemed" so obvious to me. But after reading bigbarada's comment on IG-88, I remembered how awesome the tooling on the figure is, but I think I still would have voted for the Snowtrooper.

However, I was really surprised so many people voted for Bossk because as awesome as the figure is, again my feelings echo bigbarada's & others.... one of the most unnecessary resculpts of any vintage-styled figure. As much as I like the figure, I could have easily lived with the last version sculpted.

bigbarada
01-10-2008, 02:34 PM
I think people are voting for Leia because she's the first individually carded version of "Leia with Poncho" that we've had in 23 years. Thus, she's the most "necessary" of the six figures in this wave; but that still doesn't make her a good figure.

In fact, that's what adds to the disappointment for me because, after waiting so long for a new version, the 1984 vintage figure is STILL a better figure.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-10-2008, 03:19 PM
IG-88 hands down, even though the entire wave was a masterpiece with the exception of han. Leia is a close second for me.

bigbarada
01-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Seriously, can people post some photos of their Endor Leias? I want to make sure that we're talking about the same figure here.:confused:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-10-2008, 08:08 PM
This is a difficult decision for me as well.

Leia is the one that I think was the most necessary. While I don't dislike Leia, I certainly can't vote her the best. The long neck seems designed to accommodate the poncho, and as long as I leave it on, I won't see it. What bothers me more is the shallow peg hole.

Han was also a needed resculpt. POTF2 was still in the steroid figure days, and the Saga version had the pre-posed stance. This figure is pretty good, but I don't know if I like it better than the others.

Luke is another good figure, but the color of his outfit just doesn't seem right.

Bossk and IG-88 were probably the least necessary updates, especially Bossk. However, this Bossk outdoes his predecessors by a long shot. I didn't realize how much better IG-88 could be improved upon either until I saw this version.

The snowtrooper is also a contender. An army builder with excellent articulation and the soft goods skirt doesn't limit movement like the Galactic Marine. The Jango head doesn't bother me. It seems like I had some issue with the helmet staying on when I first got it, but it doesn't seem to be a problem now.

So, I guess I'll go with the Snowtrooper. IG-88 is a close second. Bossk is close behind that. Han and Luke are about even. Leia is right behind them.

mark2d2
01-10-2008, 09:31 PM
I am surprised at the love thrown towards Leia in this poll. I like both the character and the fig, but I can't say it's my favorite. The neck is wacky and truly does detract from an otherwise noble effort and a fantastic toy.

Luke and Han were the two ones that just failed to wow me all that much.

My IG-88 has a leg that just loves to fall off again and again.

Bossk is very well done. He is definite a virtual dead heat with the figure that wins my vote.

Snowtrooper. The Soft goods are awesome and I don't mind the Jango head. He has is well articulated and just plain cool. One of my favorite Vintage figs period, much less this wave. He is a keeper to be sure.

JediTricks
01-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Leia Endor - this wouldn't even get a nice comment from me as a basic. The neck is an attrocity, the head is under-detailed, and the deco is sloppy. Articulation is underwhelming. Even the accessories are a let down, the helmet's recycled, the poncho is recycled, she's just swimming in that stuff. The best thing about this figure is its movie-accurate blaster pistol, and it's not really that exciting either.

Han Hoth - the helmet doesn't fit and looks stupid, there's no hood-up option, and his joints are a little too obvious. It'd be an ok basic, but it's not great Vintage-style material. Also, his binocs are way too large and his blaster is from the wrong movie.

Luke Bespin - odd coloring on the outfit, especially the green crotch. The lower body is a little bulky, and the whole figure seems a tiny bit oversized. This fig has a fairly decent design overall, but the head sculpt completely holds it back being so incredibly inaccurate.

IG-88 - excellent design and deco. Bulky hips. Still has problems holding weapons. Secondary accessories are a little odd. Figure feels a tad fragile, especially the separate midsection. A close choice tho'.

Snowtrooper - very good design if perhaps a bit bulky and short. Deco on helmet is questionable, as is the length of the cloth kama skirt, though it works better than it really deserves. Wide stance seems odd though. Another close choice.

Bossk - I thought this was totally unnecessary due to the Saga version until I compared them and saw how wrong that was. This does everything right that every other version got wrong, including head sculpt, costume design, skin color and sheen, even mouth-open pose. This is the one I feel went that extra mile to deliver something amazing, so it's my vote.

jedi master sal
01-10-2008, 11:02 PM
Hands down for me the Snowtrooper. Only thing that needs a little tweak is the kama.
After that these are my next favorites on down:
IG-88: Just awesome. This is what IG-88 should have been all along.
Bossk: Runs a tight third place spot to IG-88. This is a near perfect figure as well. I just don't like the removable neck ring.
Han: Decent figure, but clearly not the best.
Luke: was a'ight but not remarkable. An improvement over previous ones, yes. Just wasn't excited about this fig.
Leia. Again, not a horrible figure, but can't hold a candle to the others.

Cane_Adiss
01-11-2008, 12:08 AM
This was an easy choice for me. Here's the way I would rank the figs:

1. Bossk ~ at first I was suprised that Hasbro went and resculpted this one so soon after the Saga version (which was a really cool figure) then I remembered that Hasbro really likes Bossk for some reason and it made more sense. When I bought this one I was blown away by how much the Saga one was improved on, in ways I didn't think of.

2. Snowtrooper ~ I was kindof excited by this one, as we havent gotten a really good snowtrooper toy for awhile and the last one left a little to be desired. He turned out great, even though the removeable helmet falls off too easily and its JANGO underneath.

3. IG-88 ~ Not the most desired resculpt in my book, but certainly much appreciated once you get ahold of this figure. My only complaints are that he may be alittle TOO detailed and TOO articulated. He falls apart easily and on my figure anyway several of his wire thingys have snapped just from normal futzing and posing. Also, those little round magazine thingys on his bandolier that Hasbro said WERE intended to be removable, well they are removable sorta but good luck getting them back on. Broke a couple of those too.

The core character figures were completely undesirable to me, so I didn't bother even buying them. The basic versions are good enough for me. The Leia really looks like she sucks though so I'd put her last. Han and Luke look like cool toys but like I said, the basic versions were good enough.

bigbarada
01-11-2008, 02:54 PM
Not a single vote for Luke Bespin so far. Wow. Hasbro's 0-4 with Luke figures this year.lol

Devo
01-11-2008, 06:01 PM
Surprising result for Endor Leia so far. Since when is she better than Hoth han and Bespin Luke? I didn't realise anyone thought that.

Kidhuman
01-11-2008, 07:00 PM
Surprising result for Endor Leia so far. Since when is she better than Hoth han and Bespin Luke? I didn't realise anyone thought that.

I think she is better than Bossk

CaptainSolo1138
01-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Surprising result for Endor Leia so far. Since when is she better than Hoth han and Bespin Luke? I didn't realise anyone thought that.I think she is better than all of them.

jjreason
01-11-2008, 08:22 PM
I voted for Hoth Han because I think it's an ideal "hood down" Hoth Han. I'd buy it again if they put him out with the hood up.

Someone remarked that the color of the coat was odd - I thought it was kinda neat - almost a light brown with some bluish tones.

I know the other 3 figures were amazing, I just kept picking up Han to look at and admire more than the rest.

samskull
01-15-2008, 03:44 PM
The Snowtrooper was my top pick, though Hoth Han, Bossk and IG-88 were all vast improvements as well. Leia is great with poncho on, but I'd like a Rebel General who doesn't look like an Ostrich. Bespin Luke is okay too, but his platform shoes, silly face and stiff movement turn me off.

JediTricks
01-15-2008, 05:13 PM
And the winner is... The Snowtrooper! Although a close race, it wasn't really that shocking to see it win.

-on the other hand-

How does Leia end up in 4th place behind IG-88, Bossk, and the Snowtrooper?!? I have seen people say they voted for her, but I can never find any credible reasons for why. So odd.