PDA

View Full Version : Ebay

Bosskman
01-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Man, I've been liking ebay a lot lately. I got a bunch of vintage lego castle stuff in the last few months I've been wanting for years and shoring up my SW stuff with vintage and US store exclusives. With the Canadian and US dollars being so close now it's even more worth it, and with paypal it's superfast. I just bought an old lego castle set in Northern Ireland last week and it got here today.

DarthQuack
01-09-2008, 06:39 PM
I probably use eBay way to much, but it's so damn convienant with Paypal, I've been using it lately for NES games from back in the day with manuals and boxes. I'd like to maybe pull the trigger and get a complete POTJ set on there too. Maybe with my tax return.

JediTricks
01-10-2008, 06:25 PM
I haven't done ebay in a loooong time. I haven't had a yen for any old stuff, and new stuff isn't that hard to get.

Jargo
01-10-2008, 11:57 PM
once i get on a lego kick i hit ebay so much it really hurts my wallet. I get hooked on poking around for unusual bricks and bricks i've never seen before. trawling through millions of pages. getting sidetracked by shiney things and spending lots.

jedi master sal
01-11-2008, 01:25 AM
I troll eBay for deals. With a rare exception I don't pay any more than $3 a fig. Many even less.

Also, I've found it a blessing when it comes to minis. I can build up how many of any mini I want, instead of blind packaging. Again I look for deals. On the new sets, I hit them hard and fast in the first week. Then whatever I don't get in that time for a set, I wait. Sometimes for months for prices to come back down to a reasonable level for me, then I go back and cherry pick away at auctions I still need minis for. This has saved me hundreds of dollars.

Also for me it tends to be about volume. For instance if I'm looking for an army builder, I bid on dozens of auctions with a predetermined high bid in mind. I stick to that. Sometimes I win, many I lose, but often I get enough to satiate my need for the time being.

Another thing I do and this works best with minis for me, is to find a seller who sells LOTS of minis. They usually have great deals on shipping and you can find much of what you want in one stop at one seller. They are MUCH more eager to deal with you if you've won 20 auctions at once. Lost money on shipping aside, you are moving their merch and that always works for them.

I almost never give into temptation with regards to new stuff at inflated prices. It's a rarity. So I don't consider myself as one of those who contributes to the scalper problem as that's not the long established history of my bidding pattern.

I did jump the gun on one thing lately. That being the AT-TE gunner accessory set from Gentle Giant. Even then, my bid and shipping combined is only $1 over what GG sold theirs for.

I look at eBay as a good thing overall. I've made some working friendships with sellers (mostly the minis sellers) and that helps when it comes to customer service and my repeat business with them. They are confident in me as I of them.

-Sal

Bosskman
01-11-2008, 05:31 AM
Yeah, It was 98 the last time I was really in to ebay before the last few months. I tried it again about a year ago but got screwed over big time. It was one of those 1 in a1000 bad sellers. Things have gotten a lot smoother and easier than before.

CaptainSolo1138
01-11-2008, 07:51 AM
My ebay account was hacked last week. Nothing outside of a few inquiries made on my behalf to some European dealer selling cell phones took place and everything has been fixed, but it still kind of p**ses me off.

I go to ebay to look for hockey jerseys. You have to be careful (if its cheap, the logo/numbers are probably heat transfers, not stitched) but you can find some outstanding deals. Its gotten even better with the advent of the new NHL uniforms because dealers are selling the "old" style ones now at bargain basement prices (even though it sounds like several teams will be going back to their old unis next year).

DarthQuack
01-11-2008, 10:02 AM
My eBay account was also hacked last year.....someone was selling a Harley Davidson on my account for like 1500....ended that asap and got it figured out....

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-11-2008, 06:34 PM
I only use it periodically. The first time I ever did, I paid $17 total for SOTE Luke and Dash Rendar, and the a-hole never sent them (he did the same with a bunch of auctions that day, it seemed). Since then, though, I have gotten some fantastic deals on older SW items I missed the first time around. Lately, though, I've been focusing on in-store stuff since there's do damn much.

Neuroleptic
01-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I use Ebay a lot around January because I usualy get Ebay gift cards from parents and other family. I use it to buy mostly vintage star wars stuff, then restore it. Though, in the case of this year, I got ahold of a post world war two german civil service helmet and have been fixint it up to look like a world war two german paramedic helmet, and a german paramedic arm band to go with it.

I also use it for army biulding, but I am nearly done with that so I won't be doing that much longer. Only allowing myself two more stormtroopers and an officer, then maybe the new three leged walker coming out this year if it isn't too expensive.

jediguy
01-13-2008, 10:30 PM
when I first got my computer, I hit Ebay hard and often

one thing I wanted in particular was the Luke/Dak snowspeeder set exclusive to Walmart
when it arrived and I opened it, I was surprised at how much Dak and Luke looked alike
I was scammed! but I didn't realize it until it was too late for me to do anything about it
I am still hunting for that Dak figure

my third transaction was for a mexican Bib Fortuna with red cloak
when it arrived, the seller did not include the staff that was pictured with the figure
I left him a neutral feedback rating, explaining that I did not get everything pictured
he left me my only negative feedback, blasting me for not contacting him first to explain my grievance
that learning experience has not been forgotten in my subsequent transactions on Ebay
if I have a question, I do not hesitate to ask it
if the transaction was completed satisfactory to both parties and feedback isn't left by the seller, I send a friendly reminder to leave positive feedback for a successful transaction

jedi master sal
01-14-2008, 12:27 AM
That's one thing that bothers me with sellers. They should leave positive feedback first. The moment they have received payment, positive feedback should be left. At that point the buyer has fulfilled their obligation to the deal.

I really hate it when they want to dangle the positive feedback carrot over you, if you don't post first.

When I get sellers like that I just tell them that if they want more of my business they better leave me feedback first. There's plenty of sellers on eBay as there is buyer. So no need for the childish games.

Leave feedback for cryin out loud.

Oh and another one... Regardless if I'm a returning buyer or not, leave feedback. I have over 500+ positive feedback from multiple transactions, whereas my "actual" feedback score is hovering around 150. I certainly take into account the other feedback number when bidding. You might have a seller with only 50 feedback, but yet when you look at their actual transactions it's 200. (For example)

That shows that the seller knows how to deal with multiple wins. Something I do quite often.

If a seller still refuses to leave positive first or for multiple wins, I point out my feedback numbers and the amount of money I spend, money they will potentially lose if they don't leave feedback. I've only had two sellers outright refuse to leave feedback after that, so I never bought from them again, regardless of the initial auction going well.

In my case I have one negative, but really over 500 positives, with just 150 of them belonging to unique sellers. Still that should count, but some people don't bother or care to look at that number.

Oh and the negative was because of a seller taking over three weeks to send a figure, when he wasn't 40 miles north of me...and this after sending MANY e-mails to him to complete the deal even eventually threatening action. After that I did file against him then happened to get my figure. This was so very early on in my eBay account and that seller is no longer registered. I do wish that negatives would be expunged after a year or two. I mean that one mark will cary with me forever...Doesn't seem fair.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 12:28 PM
I might have to try this site. It sounds pretty cool. E-Bay, you say?

jedi master sal
01-14-2008, 12:53 PM
I might have to try this site. It sounds pretty cool. E-Bay, you say?

No "eBay."

Small "e" not big and no hyphen...lol

UKWildcat
01-14-2008, 06:45 PM
That's one thing that bothers me with sellers. They should leave positive feedback first. The moment they have received payment, positive feedback should be left. At that point the buyer has fulfilled their obligation to the deal.

Yeah, but the transaction isn't complete until you (the buyer) receives their product.

I know that is (or was) a heated debate as far as eBay goes, who is to leave feedback first and when.

Personally, as a buyer, I don't expect to receive feedback until after I have received my product and have left the seller feedback.

As a seller, I usually will not leave feedback for the buyer until I receive it, because to me, that is when the transaction is complete.

I understand your point of view sal, I just look at it a little bit differently.

And sal, I'm upset that you would not want to conduct business with me because of my feedback policy; it really pains me. :cry:

jedi master sal
01-14-2008, 09:00 PM
Well, I know you personally, sort of, so the rule doesn't apply.

plasticfetish
01-14-2008, 09:46 PM
That's one thing that bothers me with sellers. They should leave positive feedback first. The moment they have received payment, positive feedback should be left. At that point the buyer has fulfilled their obligation to the deal.As a buyer, which is pretty rare these days, I leave feedback when I've received the item. As a seller, I'll leave feedback once I know that the buyer has received the item, and all's well. (It's the real world equivalent of, "Thank you." and then "You're welcome."

Why? I've been burned in the past by buyers who've turned around and claimed that they didn't get their package, and then they'll requested that PayPal refund their money. My mistake at the time, was not bothering to get a delivery confirmation for items under $20 or $10. I'd figured it wasn't a big deal, but it's the only way you can prove to PayPal that you mailed that box. Otherwise, it's your word versus the buyers, and PayPal tends to side with the buyer.

Feedback is pointless after a certain number anyway. Seeing that someone has 300 instead of 200 positive comments, isn't going to sway me. I'm only looking for recent negative comments.

DarthQuack
01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
I'll weigh in on this since I frequent eBay a lot lately.....If I'm the seller, I prefer to wait for the buyer to leave feedback....so I'm agreeing with you plastic. Since I'm doing the one selling I prefer to get the thanks as well first before leaving them a you're welcome. I don't really see anything wrong with it. I would be very upset if I sold something and left feedback first and then didn't receive any in return, which has happened. ie I remember selling something and less than a week later, the member was no longer a registered member and I got screwed out of a feedback. Didn't sit well with me. Just my 2 cents though!

jedi master sal
01-15-2008, 09:34 AM
I see this completely different. The seller should be saying "Thanks for your business" first. Without the buyers, sellers wouldn't have the business in the first place.

I may notify a buyer I've received an item, but I do expect them to then post feedback first.

Again, I've been screwed by buyers who once receiving payment never bother to follow through. Those are the worst. Not only do they have your money, but they also have the item you won at auction.

The seller should be saying thanks. It's the buyer who says your welcome by first paying for the item then leaving feedback after. More often than not there are multiples of specific items available on eBay, so there's plenty of opportunity for buyers to go elsewhere. Sellers must wait on buyers to bid. So you should be giving your thanks first once they paid.

I'm not a shifty buyer, so I can't see it from the sellers viewpoint. I've only ever tried to sell one thing on the bay. Didn't get a buyer so I don't sell. I'm not going to pay for auctions if the crap doesn't sell. I learned my lesson there. (What makes it worse on that note is that my item was considerably cheaper in the starting bid, as well as shipping, yet I saw others of the same thing going for 3-4 times what I was hoping to get.

Bah, I'll never sell on eBay again. Not worth the frustration or money. I'll just stick to being a buyer. A frugal but fair one.

Ji'dai
02-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Your NES could be worth a lot of money!

Check out this auction (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370330327400=&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT) for a Nintendo Entertainment System and five games that ended this week. It's totally legit. I guess the reason it went so high is because one of the games ("Family & Fitness: Stadium Events" with original box and sleeve) is so rare.

Still... 13 grand for a NES cart?

DarthQuack
02-15-2010, 12:19 AM
Yea....Another site I belong to, NintendoAGE (http://www.nintendoage.com) helped that seller along.....she didn't know what she had until some of them stumbled upon it and brought it to her attention....

Lord Malakite
02-15-2010, 05:43 AM
I guess the reason it went so high is because one of the games ("Family & Fitness: Stadium Events" with original box and sleeve) is so rare.

Still... 13 grand for a NES cart?

Stadium Events is considered the rarest licensed NES game to be released in North America. It was only available at Northern-region Woolworth's Department Stores, which was used as a test market by Bandai before attempting a more wide scale release. About around the same time in 1988, Nintendo purchased the North American rights to the Family Fun Fitness mat technology and re-released it as the Power Pad. The two Family Fun Fitness-branded games (Athletic World & Stadium Events) that had already been released, as well as Bandai's version of the Family Fun Fitness running pad accessory, were pulled from shelves and are presumed to have been destroyed.

Because of this odd sequence of events, only 2000 copies of Stadium Events are believed to have been produced, of which it is estimated that only 200 of those copies reached consumers before being recalled & destroyed. Out of those 200 copies still believed to be in existence, less than 10 copies are believed to be complete copies (have the original box, instruction manual, etc.). And to date only one copy is known to exist in "factory sealed" condition (it sold for over $3,000 on eBay back in 2006).

Both of the Family Fun Fitness-branded games available in the US were later retooled and relabeled to reflect compatibility with the Power Pad by Nintendo instead. Athletic World's label and manual were changed slightly, replacing Family Fun Fitness verbiage with Power Pad wording. The box for Athletic World was changed completely, making the original box a collector's item (though not as much as Stadium Events).

Stadium Events, however, was recalled and distributed under an entirely different title, World Class Track Meet, in late 1988. Stadium Events & World Class Track Meet are identical in game play and content, except for the new external packaging/label and the title changes (internally within the game itself) to reflect the new name.

nohagent
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I am thoroughly disgusted with ebay. Too big, too greedy. Its not like I am looking to make a fortune but I cant even make any reasonable $$ on the things that I want to sell. I have tons of SW figs that I just cant hold on to anymore but the way ebay pushes I feel I should just donate them all instead of being raped by ebay.

Ji'dai
02-15-2010, 09:21 AM
Stadium Events is considered the rarest licensed NES game to be released in North America. Well, that explains it. Still, if a sealed one sold for 3K just four years ago, 13K is still a phenomenal rise in value for an opened one. Do you own a copy of it, LM?

Lord Malakite
02-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Well, that explains it. Still, if a sealed one sold for 3K just four years ago, 13K is still a phenomenal rise in value for an opened one. Do you own a copy of it, LM?
While I tend to know a great deal about this game (and many of the other "holy grails" of the NES), unfortunately no, I don't own a copy of it.

There are actually quite a few "gem" games on the NES that are rare and usually expensive to come by. Some even surpass Stadium Events in value. Unlike Stadium Events though, most of them tend to be either of an unlicensed nature (especially those of the "Adult/Erotic" genre) or of a promotional nature.

Since we want to keep this site "family friendly" I can't list the rare "Adult" games here, but some of the other big NES games to be on the lookout for are:

1990 Nintendo World Championships (Gold Cartridge) - Only 26 copies exist. They were given away in one of Nintendo Power magazine's monthly drawing contest. Usually goes for $15,000-$21,000.
1990 Nintendo World Championships (Grey Cartridge) - Only 90 copies exist. In addition to being used in the actual 1990 Nintendo World Championships tournament, these were presented to the 90 semi-finalists. Usually goes for $4,000-$6,100.
1991 Nintendo Campus Challenge - Was used in the actual 1991 Nintendo Campus Challenge tournament. After the tournament was over most of these cartridges were destroyed (and at one time it was presumed all of them were destroyed). So far only one example (that I know of) has shown up (was found in an ex-Nintendo employee’s garage sale in 2006). It sold privately for $14,000, then it was resold on eBay for $21,000.
Caltron 6-in-1 - Unlicensed game. The company went bankrupt/out of business because of the release. Usually retails for around $525-$2,900.
Myriad 6 in 1 - Unlicensed game. These actually were the leftover stock of the above mentioned game, but newly labelled with each cart being individually numbered. To date the highest numbered reported is 888, which means probably less than 1000 copies exist. Usually retails for around $700-$2,900.
Cheetahman II - Game was completed, but not officially released. In 1997 all 1,500 copies of the game were found in the game company's warehouse and sold to the public. To this day it is known as one of the most unplayable games of all time. Usually retails for $400-$500.
Tetris (By Tengen) - Unlicensed game. Around 1988 the Soviet government began to market the rights to Tetris through an organization called Elektronorgtechnica, or "Elorg" for short. Pajitnov (the original creator of Tetris) had granted his rights to the Soviet Government, via the Computer Center he worked at for ten years. By 1989, half a dozen different companies claimed rights to create and distribute the Tetris software for home computers, game consoles, and handheld systems. Elorg, meanwhile, held that none of the companies were legally entitled to produce an arcade version, and signed those rights over to Atari Games, while it signed non-Japanese console and handheld rights over to Nintendo. Tengen (the console software division of Atari Games), regardless, applied for copyright for their Tetris game for the Nintendo Entertainment System, loosely based on the arcade version, and proceeded to market and distribute it under the name TETЯIS: The Soviet Mind Game, disregarding Nintendo's license from Elorg. Nintendo contacted Atari Games claiming they had stolen rights to Tetris, whereupon Atari Games sued, believing they had the rights. After only four weeks on the shelf, the courts ruled that Nintendo had the rights to Tetris on home game systems, and Tengen's TETЯIS game was recalled, with an unknown number of copies sold. The lawsuits between Tengen and Nintendo over the NES version carried on until 1993. Usually goes for $37-$160 depending on the condition.
Bubble Bobble Part 2 - Released in 1993, at the end of the NES's life. Usually goes for $56–$163.
California Raisins - Made by Capcom, but not officially released due to the Raisins diminishing popularity. Copies usually go for $45–$1,000, with the higher price going for complete packaged copies (which are harder to come by than the game itself).
Fire ‘N Ice - Released in 1993, at the end of the NES's life. Usually goes for $45 – $153.
Duck Tales 2 - Released in 1993, at the end of the NES's life. Usually goes for $37 – $130.
The Flintstones: The Surprise at Dinosaur Peak - Released in 1993, at the end of the NES's life. This game is rare to find packaged as it was released exclusively to game rental companies and bypassed the traditional retail market. Usually goes for $75 – $250.
Stack Up (Complete Copy) - The game in of itself can be bought cheap (about $15), but finding a complete copy (due to all its external ROB accessories that came with it) is extremely rare. A complete copy can go for $160–$248.

DarthQuack
02-15-2010, 04:59 PM
Free bump for one of my buddies from NintendoAGE.....you can get some cool games at www.retrousb.com

They have replicas of the Nintendo World Championships, and Campus Challenge.....really fun games to play against your buddies :)

Darth Metalmute
08-30-2010, 10:54 AM
I have to clearout some space in my house and have decided to sell my Hasbro 12" figures. I don't want them anymore since I have been collecting the Sideshow versions. I have every one of them, all unopened, except the EIII Ultimate Vader figure. I'm going to list them on ebay but would like some opinions/input on several issues.

1. In the past, I typically have sold things as sets. I have observed that while I won't get the maximum dollar for a rare item, I will get a higher overall sale as the common figures usually don't sell. However, for the 12" figures, there are over 100 items so shipping that many means multiple boxes. So I would like so imput of whether I should still sell them as a set, break them up into categories (ie. Action Collection, Collector Series etc.), or sell them singular.

2. Im not looking to make a profit here, more looking to clear out space. That being said, I don't want to rip myself off (which I think I just did on a Transformers lot auction). What do you think would be a reasonable sell price? Not book value. All of the figures are MIB with the exception of Collector Series Greedo which my sister smashed, and the J.C. Pennys FX Vader/Obi-Wan set which I opened to check out all the cool stuff.

3. I typically sell to international places, but with my last auction (the transformer one) I only sold to the US. I did this because shipping internationally is very expensive. However, all the questions I received were of the international variety, which complicated everything. With an auction of this size, should I stick with US only or go international.

I'm looking to make this as easy of a process as possible. The transformers auction I just completed was as stressful as anything I've ever done. The crazy questions, the careful packing, the constant shipping quotes, and the search for the allowable box shipping sizes; I felt like I worked the entire weekend on this, and the auction ended after only 30 hours with the Buy it Now feature.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-22-2014, 10:35 AM
Bid-bump!

About a couple months ago, eBay sent a message that they were changing their eBay Bucks program (a % of each win adds up over a 3-month period, then you get a certificate of that amount to use on future bids): you have to spend enough to earn $5 in Bucks to actually receive said bonus. I have NEVER spent enough to earn $5 in all my time signed up with the site. Number of bids I've placed since that message? I'll give you a subtle hint: the number is equal to or lesser than 0.