PDA

View Full Version : 12" ANH Luke

Jayspawn
01-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Looks like Farmboy Luke is up next! SS is really gettin into the ANH figures latley. I would have prefered a Sith Lord, officer or alien of some kind. Another Jedi would be cool too. Its also a lot of Lukes latley -oh well the pics look good so far.

PPO starts January 18th!

jedibear
01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
It'll be cool to have the big three (Han. Luke & Leia) from ANH to display together.

Yes, I was looking forward to something really different too, but I'm also glad to see SS release some figures that "go together" well instead of being all over the saga like they've been. Besides, the year's just gettin' started.... :)

Jayspawn
01-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Thats true. Having the Big 3 would be nice. I hope SS doesnt rip us on the price like they did with ANH Han.

decadentdave
01-14-2008, 03:19 PM
Man, the likeness looks butt ugly. Hope the order pics look better.

Bosskman
01-14-2008, 05:02 PM
Luke is good to have with the core ANH characters. Can't wait for Vader though, man he will be sweet when SS makes him.

JediTricks
01-14-2008, 05:44 PM
I had just been wondering where this one was coming in. Hopefully they get it totally right and make this the last farmboy Luke we ever need to buy. Honestly though, this is dull as dishwater after Han.

As for the likeness, that teeny thumb tells you very little, at that size accuracy can look bizarre and crappy sculpting can look like perfection.

JediTricks
01-17-2008, 03:13 PM
http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?p=4216&affiliate=CD1384

Seeing it now, I think the head sculpt is nearly there and the paint needs a touch of work still, or vice-versa, something about the eyes doesn't feel quite right. If this were "Luke squinting" I'd totally see it though. The neck is, as usual, too long. The hair seems too sculpted, too thick, but it does kinda work too. The shot of its left side looks way more Luke than front or right side.

I see the lightsaber has the correct activation plate but has the ESB saber's extra button rather than test lens, hopefully they fix that by the time it comes out. I wish he had come with the blast shield helmet as well since we have the training remote anyway.

Apparently, they initially said he came with a stormtrooper blaster, now they're rescinding that claim.

I hope this one's cheap because it seems pretty thin in costume and accessories. I know they're all jazzed about it being the ultimate Luke, but it seems like a $55 at most - I bet that rifle will kick it up to $60 though.

decadentdave
01-17-2008, 03:27 PM
You better believe with all of the accesories and TWO exclusives this will be at least as much as Smuggler Han if not more.

And the likeness sucks. The paint is terrible. Looks nothing like Hamill. Why can't they get him right? At least Bespin Luke was pretty decent.

JediTricks
01-18-2008, 01:04 PM
This is unbelievable, it's $69.99, $82 and change after tax & shipping. They have some f'ing nerve. It's one of the most simple outfits in all of Star Wars, none of the accessories are particularly complex, and he doesn't come with a lot of stuff. This may very well end up being the first figure I PPO but cancel on when it's time to ship, no reward is worth this!

decadentdave
01-18-2008, 01:08 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I told you so. Sideshow is getting greedy. People were *****in about Han being $65 and here we have our first $70 figure. That's the price of some of Hot Toys figures. Luke ain't no Rambo.

Jayspawn
01-18-2008, 01:13 PM
This is extortion! I have the Exclusive on order -but this is getting out of hand!

decadentdave
01-18-2008, 01:21 PM
So glad I cancelled Ilum Padme. Thanks to Sideshow, I'm going to be more selective then ever about which figures I buy from them. After the core ANH and ESB characters are done, I'm out.

JediTricks
01-18-2008, 03:40 PM
What were they thinking? I did notice their production blog post commented on rising costs, but honestly, I think they're shooting themselves in the foot on this one as it was already getting tumultuous with the collector base over costs and lack of armor figures - which this screws on both counts. Hell, they could at least have included the Stormtrooper belt and rifle to warrant such a high cost. Luke ROTJ was $50 just a couple years ago and had more costume. This is another problem with manufacturing outside the country, if we had made them here in the US, when the dollar's value goes down here, it wouldn't affect how much we pay people to make this stuff.

I forgot to check what time the PPO sold through (apparently, 45 mins), but I'm betting the wait list on this is going to fulfill big time.

AmanaMatt
01-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I totally forgot about this until 1:45pm Pacific, but I jumped on the waitlist - this is one version where its EXCLUSIVE or nothing, as the EXC items are cool...

I must say $70 is a HELLUVA lot of $$$$ for what we are getting; its a great fig, but if this were ESB LANDO at that price, I would be passing.

I do not think this is SS getting greedy with the price; I really do think that the U.S. economy versus Worldwide issues are seriously to blame, but that does not mean I like it. For $70, Sideshow needs to have Medicom level bodies.....they have no excuse with the Bucks anymore.

jedibear
01-19-2008, 02:39 AM
I'm not even going near the "cost" issue...it's got every board who discusses these figures on fire right now...

Not to defend them, but short of Vader, this is the most recognized version of a main character that there is...Farmboy Luke is it. So...if there was a character for them to pop his new price on us with, I guess this was it. And...it didn't surprise me that this exclusive sold out pretty quickly. Having said that, I do wish the accessories were a little more "complete" for the character...not as comprehensive as the Hasbro 100th Luke necessarily, but a couple more key things for this "version" like the blast shield helmet (although perhaps that would have called for a separate "portrait" like Leia Boussh and another jump in price...and why give Old Ben the remote?), the T16 model, a couple of tools from the garage...that would've really made this version feel like something truly special. Remember all those intricate accessories we get with the Jedi Knights...so giving this figure a rifle, a set of binocs and light sabers (oh, and extra hands) seems a little light for one of the most important releases in the line.

The costume looks great...someone posted hi-res shots of it over at Sideshow Freaks and the fabric choices and detailing looks excellent (I really like the cloth leg-wrappings...quality touch). The sculpt looks...good, but done in by another proto paint app. Here's hoping the prod version is better.

It will definitely give me pause if a background character like Praij comes up at this $70. price tag...and I imagine the long-awaited armored characters snagging a "C" note at this rate. Hope they're amazing....

jonthejedi
01-19-2008, 05:06 PM
I may just have to stick with Medicom's RAH line. That's a nice figure with freakin' sweet accessories, but the price tag???!!! Now I Know why I cancelled Ilum Padme, Ep. IV Obi(regrets), Plo Koon, chess table, Ep. IV Leia, & LOTR Frodo & Sam.

AmanaMatt
01-19-2008, 07:28 PM
When people say $80 shipped is too much for a figure, I wonder how they justify $165 shipped (for a Medicom).....its not like their Jedi Luke came with Hamill likeness or Rancor accessory?!?

Over at Sidshow collectors, someone corrected the Luke eyes using photoshop and the likeness just 'popped' out

jedibear
01-19-2008, 10:36 PM
"Popped out" alright...like Marty Feldman circa Young Frankenstein :)...

Seriously though...that photoshop job confirms what I thought,,,the proto paint job is burying the decent sculpt like so many times before...

JediTricks
06-27-2008, 02:52 AM
I just got the notice on Luke. And it's not 20-25 days out, it's 10-12. WTF? Why can't they just release this stuff on the stagger like they claimed they would?

jedibear
06-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Got my notice too...it's definitely "feast or famine" with this company :rolleyes: ...and don't forget. SDCC Aayla is just around the corner too.

The flood I'm dreading wallet-wise is late August when we will likely be slammed with Indy. Gandalf and CW Obi at the same time. All highly anticipated, all more expensive. Ah well...

I just hope Luke is a Ben-style knockout when he arrives....

JediTricks
06-28-2008, 06:49 PM
I passed on Aayla and CW Obi-Wan thankfully, or I'd have to sell off my collection at this point. Indy and Gandalf alone are going to be a huge problem I suspect. And if Luke doesn't deliver on his incredibly high pricepoint, I'm likely to just chuck this whole line on ebay. Sideshow needs to calm their situation down.

Darth Cruel
06-30-2008, 11:35 PM
I am just glad I am working overtime right now. I am really looking forward to this figure with the cool stuff Sideshow is giving him. And with all of the other figures I have ordered. I could go broke.

JediTricks
07-10-2008, 12:33 AM
My Luke figure will be here tomorrow. I dunno if I'll go get him or wait till Friday tho', I have another package coming in then, and right now I'm a little weak from a wisdom tooth extraction.

JediTricks
07-11-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, my Luke arrived, and I think this is going to be the first Sideshow figure I send back for a refund. There are just a bunch of little and big issues.

Face paint is wonky, the eyes are bigger than the proto which is good, but seem quite off - too intense. The lips are also weird, kinda prissy. And the hair paint is AWFUL, just terrible, they went with a drab brown and a few vague blond chunks, total mess. The tunic is made from cheap, semi-transparent material that doesn't fit nicely, reminds me a lot of the crap Hasbro released back in the day actually. The belt is good but the buckle is painted lazily so it looks wrong. The pants are ok, also kinda cheap but not as bad as the top. The shin wraps are very good but keep the shoes from fitting all the way on the feet which will make standing difficult.

Accessories are a mixed bag as well. The exclusive goggles are cool, but the hat is cut all wrong, I don't get why it's so darned pointy and rounded, looks pretty meh. The poncho looks alright, no distressing on it but it works alright on the figure in general. The droid caller has a really lazy weathered paint job, and the peg it uses on Luke's belt is small and feels very brittle. The stormtrooper blaster has mixed paint, some good and some unweathered. The lightsaber hilt is new and looks good, although the way they did the activation box bubbles is cheap, and there is NO weathering whatsoever - the same issue as on Luke Bespin's. The electrobinocs are decent, and I do like the clever way they did the flip-open viewport as alternate, interchangable pieces, though it's not entirely clear at first what is going on. The long rifle seems to have a good sculpt, but a bit simple in design, is slightly warped from the length, I fear some of the smaller bits might break off, and the paint is a little simplistic as well.

Ultimately, is this thing worth $70? Unfortunately, I am thinking not. The head sculpt is almost there but the paint fails it, the hair paint is a real loser, and the shirt especially is a total cheap-out.

AmanaMatt
07-12-2008, 03:06 PM
Ultimately, is this thing worth $70? Unfortunately, I am thinking not. The head sculpt is almost there but the paint fails it, the hair paint is a real loser, and the shirt especially is a total cheap-out.

Thanks for the comments, Jt - take pics, man!!!!!! :)....the two main issues I have (based on pics from Sideshow collectors) is that the hair is dark - way, way to dark and the tunic quality. Some pics make the tunic look fine and some look terrible. I may have to have my Luke customized (mainly the hair, I think)...

As for $70 - its like this is a $50 item that is $70 due to the crap market we are all in. I really can't blame Sideshow for the price increase as EVERYONE is now affected: from milk down to building supplies. Life is kinda tough right now!

jedibear
07-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Well, from the "in-hand" shots I'm seeing, my only problem is also the hair....the sculpt is good but it's painted WAY too dark. Seems to be a trend with these figures, I don't know why. Makes me wonder if SS really looks at these figures once they are in production sometimes.

As for the obvious tunic change (from the proto to prod)...well, as long as it's not some tacky synthetic fabric like that awful gown for ANH Leia that can't be futzed into looking decent, I'll be ok with it...I'll see for myself on thursday...

jedibear
07-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Luke finally arrived up here...

First impressions...good, but....

I wish Sideshow would get over the penchant for giving these light-colored hair characters dark hair. I don't understand it. It's not a deal-breaker for me because after having several figures come this way, I'm almost expecting it now.

The sculpt...well, it's there but not quite. The paint apps are neat, but a bit heavy-handed, giving him a bit of a stern look I don't really associate withe the character. The outfit is alright...the changed tunic isn't quite as bad as I feared (nowhere on the level of cheapness that the ANH Leia dress is) and details like the leg wrappings and acceesories take the sting out of that change a bit. On the accessories...it was nice to open a figure and see a full tray again. haven't really seen that since one of the Jedi figures. But use care! These accessories are extra fragile...I've already had to repair the binocs.

I'm glad to have this characters represented is his most classic and iconic form but... I would call it a decent enough job, but certainly no "knocked out of the park" entry.

Still...Han has grown on me significantly since I got him, so maybe Luke will too. Time will tell...

AmanaMatt
07-21-2008, 10:58 PM
Nice Review, JB, and I agree with most....

Hey, is that just a rock with your luke, or did that come from Hobby Lobby - just curious?

In person the hair is not quite as dark looking as the pics have shown, but it is off.

I think the likeness issue is in the paint and not the sculpt. when you look at it dead on, the eyes seem to throw it - and the expression - a bit too intense....from the profile, it looks dead on.

The tunic is a non issue for me in person. Not as nice as the proto, but more than acceptable for production!

Overall, this gets a B (good not great)

Ok, what is with the scale for Luke and Leia? Anh Luke is taller than Bespin, and ANH leia is shorter that Boussh?

jedibear
07-22-2008, 11:04 AM
What is Hobby Lobby? :)

It's just a piece of petrified wood from my own rock collection (yes, I collect rocks too.. lot more relaxing to collect than figures, I'll tell ya...never have to worry about paint apps or sculpts or articulation LOL)

The more I look at this figure, the more I like it. I still stand by my observation that he looks too stern and serious but...ah, well.

AmanaMatt
07-22-2008, 11:29 AM
Sorry, oh duh! Sould have realized Hobby Lobby is a regional store. Just a hobby type shop that has a little of everything out in Texas, where I have lived now for 4 years - I do miss Ca in a way, though - just not the prices of gas there!

That is a cool rock for the posing purpose!

I do like my Luke a lot too and agree the look is a bit too stern. I have him turning to his side a bit - like the profile quite a bit

I want Sideshow to kill the Buck too!

jedibear
07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Like Han, I'm starting to enjoy this figure more as I get him out for some shots...

jedibear
09-07-2008, 10:19 PM
"The Jundland wastes are not to be traveled lightly..."

JediTricks
09-08-2008, 06:04 AM
Very cool, but Luke's the part that does the least for me in that pic, and that includes the setting and the Hasbro 12"-scale R2. That is a very rad setting!