PDA

View Full Version : What else would you do with the money?

stillakid
01-11-2008, 08:47 PM
If you weren't collecting Star Wars stuff, presumably you'd have a lot of extra money sitting around waiting to be spent. What else would you spend your money on if you weren't spending it on Star Wars stuff?

Slicker
01-11-2008, 08:53 PM
I'd buy a small country.:pleased:

Seriously, I've wondered this very thing myself and I honestly don't know. I don't have any other really big hobbies. I would like to think that I would've saved it and been smart with it but in all likelihood I probably would've put even more money in to my truck than I already have.

Kidhuman
01-11-2008, 09:09 PM
Buy transformers

bigbarada
01-11-2008, 09:19 PM
When I wasn't obsessing over collecting Star Wars in the past, I was obsessing over collecting comic books, Star Trek novels, superhero action figures, etc.

I think some of us just have collecting hardwired into us.

Right now, if I wasn't collecting Star Wars, I'd probably spend all of my money on computer hardware/software, photography equipment, or just start collecting guns.:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
01-11-2008, 09:32 PM
I would seriously be looking to fill in my vintage collection if I wasnt buying all the new stuff. Like BiB, I was into comics and baseball cards in the downtime(85-95). I since sold all tat I had sans a few comics and like 2-3 cards.

CaptainSolo1138
01-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Cigarettes and hookers.

In all seriousness I probably would have found something else to spend the money on. I've always been a fan of shelf space taker uppers so I'm sure I'd've just bought the stuff at the other end of the aisle.

2-1B
01-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Whiskey and hookers.

CaptainSolo1138
01-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Caesar and I would've gone halfsies on a double-ended monkey stuffer for said hookers.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-12-2008, 02:13 AM
I'd buy more music. Maybe more DVD's. A season of a TV show or some other collection I would like to buy can be pricey, and I haven't watched a lot of the DVD's I do have, so I don't buy too many. Or maybe I'd just save more. I'll probably need a new car someday, so I'd have more saved up for that if I wasn't buy Star Wars.

I'd probably buy more electronic gadgets. An iPod or a digital camera is kind of pricey, so I'm reluctant to get one. The iPod isn't too necessary, but a camera would be more useful. However, one reason I'd like to have one is to take pictures of my figures.

Also pricey are the new video game systems and the games themselves. I'm reluctant to drop $400 on a new X-Box just to have the opportunity to pay $50 for each game I want to get.

Jargo
01-12-2008, 06:56 AM
I sometimes wonder just how much I've spent over the years. if not for star wars figures i probably would have bought a library worth of books. more Lego. and gone out and got hammered more often. I keep looking at the toys i have and thinking I must get rid and clear some space. I'm going to be moving house at some point over the next year and really don't want the hassle of lugging boxes full of toys around. Lego I don't mind. Lego is a lifelong passion. star wars and other sci-fi is dispensible.

DarthQuack
01-12-2008, 09:36 AM
Hopefully I would have saved it in the bank...I also collect Nintendo games in the boxes with manuals....which is looking to be quite and undertaking...but I still want to focus on SW as well....just don't make that much money to support all of it though.....2nd job here I come....

jjreason
01-12-2008, 11:36 AM
Hopefully I'd have run up less debt - but I likely would have spent more on comics, DVDs, CDs and videogames. BigB said - collecting is hardwired into some of us.

jedi master sal
01-12-2008, 12:11 PM
Transformers (of which I only collect the movie stuff now-and at that ONLY ones that were IN the movie, not the whole line)
Maybe G.I.Joe-I don't collect that now and have NO plans to start. I couldn't afford that AND SW.
More Justice League-I was into this at the beginning. When it got tough to find Hawkgirl, I slowed down. Now I rarely buy any of the figs. Just bought Blue Devil on eBay. First one in sometime.
Halo toys-I've recently gotten into these, but and not mad crazy with army building and don't plan on starting that either. Of course I will get the Halo 3 toys.

So I'd collect something. This year I've cut the SW budget in half, but part of that will go to the Halo stuff, thankfully a small part.

TeeEye7
01-12-2008, 03:56 PM
1) Buy more camera equipment (need to convert to digital).

2) Buy a couple of rifles I've always wanted (I love p*ssing off Boxer and Feinstein...it sucks living in the People's Republic of Kalifornia) and spend quality time at the range.

stillakid
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
1) Buy more camera equipment (need to convert to digital).

2) Buy a couple of rifles I've always wanted (I love p*ssing off Boxer and Feinstein...it sucks living in the People's Republic of Kalifornia) and spend quality time at the range.

You like to "shoot", eh! :lipsrsealed:

TeeEye7
01-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Yep......AND fire my guns, too! (But not at the same time!)

Exhaust Port
01-12-2008, 04:56 PM
I've shifted a good part of my extra money from toy collecting in the last 2 years. Back then I lived in a world of 12" action figures (SW and non-SW), Macross and Simpsons stuff. Now I do a lot more window shopping with a few purchases here and there. I've seen a bit more CD's, guns, tools and a HDTV in the meantime. I admit I have a pretty good wishlist of toys that need to be purchased one money is available. It been fun to have a change in the average purchase recently though.

Neuroleptic
01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
Art supplies and electronics.

And maybe some TNT. I'd have to try blowing something up.

Exhaust Port
01-12-2008, 05:30 PM
A number of firearm purchasers? Pent up aggression among SW collectors? :)

TeeEye7
01-12-2008, 07:14 PM
A number of firearm purchasers? Pent up aggression among SW collectors? :)

Nope. I like to target shoot. Very relaxing stuff. Some people go to the batting range; some folks shoot hoops; some folks toss horse shoes; some folks play catch. Used to be a Sunday family activity in more civilized times.

Heck, it's even an Olympic sport.

.....AND, I don't hear voices, EP! ;)

2-1B
01-12-2008, 07:29 PM
Of course not, it's hard to hear the voices over the ammo. lol

TeeEye7
01-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Of course not, it's hard to hear the voices over the ammo. lol

We agree....er I, that is, I mean...huh? Keep it down, guys!

Exhaust Port
01-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Nope. I like to target shoot. Very relaxing stuff. Some people go to the batting range; some folks shoot hoops; some folks toss horse shoes; some folks play catch. Used to be a Sunday family activity in more civilized times.

Heck, it's even an Olympic sport.

.....AND, I don't hear voices, EP! ;)

That's the most I've done too, killed a few pieces of paper. Our local indoor range caught fire nearly a year ago and I think it finally opened up in the last month or two so I haven't been there in a while. I did go shooting yesterday for the first time in 6 months and had a blast. Now with the increase in the price of bullets it's becoming a bit more expensive. I bought a 9mm pistol with the intent of saving money with cheaper bullets. Now I'm thinking about buying a .22 pistol to try and save money, again.

Ever do any trap or skeet shooting? I did some last year with my father-in-law and really liked it. There is a range/club not too far from me but I haven't gotten around to check it out yet.

TeeEye7
01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I've alway wanted to try sporting clays, which is a lot like trap and skeet (which I'd also like to do). If I had the time and the money, I'd pursue it. I've got a really nice Remington 870 Wingmaster that I bought years and years ago that's gotten very little use.

The .22 is an excellent tool. I have a Ruger 10/22 rifle and Ruger MKI semi-auto. Both for inexpensive practice.

I've never been too much of a hunter. I've been more of a hole-puncher and can killer.

UKWildcat
01-13-2008, 12:37 AM
I would/will spend more money on DVDs and possibly Video Games (and likely a new console, such as a PS3).

I would/will also, most definitely, spend the extra money on various car upgrades, new exhaust system, headers, cold air intake, and etc.

I have really cut back on collecting, I have practically quit, so these will become a reality sooner rather than later.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-13-2008, 10:53 AM
When I wasn't obsessing over collecting Star Wars in the past, I was obsessing over collecting comic books, Star Trek novels, superhero action figures, etc.

I think some of us just have collecting hardwired into us.

Right now, if I wasn't collecting Star Wars, I'd probably spend all of my money on computer hardware/software, photography equipment, or just start collecting guns.:thumbsup:True dat. It'd make a nice list (list... :Homerdrool: ) of all the things I've collected over the years. Right now, I'm in the I'll-only-buy-it-if-I-like-it-not-because-I-need-it-to-complete-my-collection stage. What would I do with da money? What I'm doing right now: saving up to BUY a house, straight up, no mortgage (or at least a managable one that won't lead me to foreclosure in a couple years) or make my SW museum house. :thumbsup:

And what do I like to shoot?
- hoops (when the knees work, and the shoulder, the wrist, the ankles, the calves, the back... )
- my camera (simple digital and 35mm ones)
- the breeze (in my day... :rolleyes: )
- down bad ideas
- say "shoot" instead of worser bad words
- para (get it? :badbadpun: )

Mad Slanted Powers
01-13-2008, 11:12 AM
- say "shoot" instead of worser bad words
That word is too violent. You should say the other word instead.

- para (get it? :badbadpun: )Yes, I get it. You do the bad puns a lot, but that's okay, so do I. That's cheap fun.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2008, 01:45 PM
I would likely just get more CDs and similar things, I suppose. I'm pretty much done buying video games, since they're so freakin' expensive, the systems become obsolete too quickly, and I never really play anyway (though I'll still likely get any good SW games in the future, at least until they don't make them for the systems I have).

I would also probably save more, or put it towards a car or a better video camera or something. Now I feel depressed . . .

Mad Slanted Powers
01-13-2008, 03:58 PM
I would also probably save more, or put it towards a car or a better video camera or something. Now I feel depressed . . .Then you can spend the money on therapy.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Then you can spend the money on therapy.
But then we'd be back on square one. I guess I just can't win.

stillakid
01-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Then you can spend the money on therapy.

Just curious, which is cheaper? :sur:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-13-2008, 10:04 PM
Just curious, which is cheaper? :sur:

Depends on how much Star Wars he bought.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 12:27 PM
I would buy women's underwear. I've always wanted to be a transvestite, but my SW habit doesn't leave me with enough money to buy lingerie. :(

TeeEye7
01-14-2008, 12:37 PM
I've always heard Chux likes to feel pretty. ;)

Tycho
01-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I am buying close to no (zero) toys these days for several reasons***

I am going out a lot, spending more money on my friends and girls, as well as being free to do more activities.

Tomorrow I am signed on to crew a real pirate ship (the HMS Interceptor from POTC). My friend has twin 4-year-old boys and they are way into pirates.

So I spent about $70 on costumes for all of us and got us pirate wigs, bandanas, beards, eye patches, earrings (clip-ons hurt BAD!), and swords, etc. We each bought our own passage on the ship ($60 for the 3 hour cruise) and we launch at 2pm tomorrow after "pirate training class."

So there's $130 that I'm not worried about spending on toys that's instead going to a fun weekend. I'll post pictures probably by Monday (there's the NFL playoff game with the Chargers and "some other team" on Sunday). Oh -that's another thing. I'm flush with cash to enjoy myself however I want during the football game. And next baseball season I'm sure I'll go to a lot of home games as I did this past season.

I'm also going to several rock concerts next month, some out of town, and I'm able to fly and take hotel rooms for them, as well as bring along friends.

Now gas prices have been wounding to the budget, but I'm also invested with oil companies, so it's all relative. However, I've had to take an increase in my distributions to keep up with the inflation, though I am driving less and utilizing San Diego's trolley system when I can.

Oh. There are some DVD box sets I'm completing: Smallville, The A-Team, Miami Vice, Young Indiana Jones. I think that's it until they release The Shield Season 6.

But I'm also going to go to Long Beach for that Star Trek Experience thing most likely (simulator rides, museum, convention deal, etc.)

And I live in a resort city, so sometimes it's just nice to spend the weekend at a hotel on the beach or by the harbor, Coronado Island, etc. I mean to fly in (or take the ferry across the channel) to Catalina Island as well, and maybe stay a weekend and then some in Avalon. Maybe even see some sharks.

There's a lot more to do than just toy collect. I've seen enough of Target and Wal-Mart, that's for sure.

**Toys are down for me for several reasons:
1) I'm a diorama builder and I just buy pieces that I need to complete scenes. I'm not starting new scenes. And I'm done army-building unless they make the Expanded Universe Yuuzhan Vong Warriors. But I'm NOT a collector.

2) I'm not adding new scenes, will probably not get into Force Unleashed, or collect from either TV show. I've got plenty of work to do to construct the scenes I already bought stuff for - when I can get a large house to display all this stuff in. I like it. It's worthless for resale (seriously guys). And I want to keep it and appreciate it. But I have enough.

3) I don't delve into new toy lines. I won't be getting Indiana Jones. I buy some select Art Asylum Star Trek figures. Though I like the new Terminator TV show, and Smallville, I don't need toys and won't buy them. With Transformers I'm very particular and will not get into the new animated stuff. There's very specific products they don't yet make which I'm interested in should they eventually do them. But that's it. There's more to life than toys.

4) I'd eventually like to get a new speed boat. Let's see how my health turns out. If I'll get a transplant. And if I'll live. Being alive is usually important if you want to enjoy a boat.

stillakid
01-18-2008, 12:29 PM
Being alive is usually important if you want to enjoy a boat.
Have you seen "Weekend at Bernie's." :lipsrsealed:

Neuroleptic
01-18-2008, 12:39 PM
I don't think I have ever spent a lot of money on star wars toys all at once now that I think about it. Perhaps the most was the 50 bucks for the AT-AT walker and everything required to restore it.

But over time and I'm talking decades, 5 bucks here, 5 bucks there, it adds up.

I know I lost money when I finaly sold off the bulk of my collection when I think about what it was bought for vs what it sold for too. Luckily, about half of it was gifts from people unsure about what to get me. So, maybe in the end I actualy MADE money. I never did sit down and figure that out till after I sold it, so I can't say that for sure.

I now limit my collection to anything I can fit on 4 book shelves in my bed room, and up to 10 more packaged vintage figures (most likely ones I'll restore instead of actualy buy mint).

If I want more, I have to sell what I got or out right throw it out.

Grand total, I'd say I have owned about 2,000 dollars on star wars stuff over the course of my entire life time, of which I have probably only spent about 500.

I sold the majority of my collection for 500 on ebay.

So . . . I bought an aquarium. Then we moved to a smaller house and in the ultimate irony of ironies, the house is too small for the aquarium so it is now . . . you geussed it. IN STORAGE!

Neuroleptic
01-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Have you seen "Weekend at Bernie's." :lipsrsealed:

Stillakid, I know you probably were just trying to be funny, but speaking as someone who watches people die for a living, after Tycho's post it just sounded a bit on the unsensitive side.

Tycho
01-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Stillakid's fine. I have a good sense of humor about this. Plus SK knows me personally.

I am entering into final stage kidney failure and will hopefully get a transplant and then the issue is moot. However, I won't do dialysis and live that way, so this is otherwise a terminal condition in another year or so without the transplant.

Plus I feel like crap all the time and can't really eat, etc. So I try to "live," and do the best I can.

It's a hereditary condition that killed my father, my aunt, and their father before them. So while I inherited THAT, I may as well also enjoy my parents' financial planning that I also inherited. Regardless of the transplant working or not, I probably won't be around to enjoy a retirement in my 60's like the majority of you. If I don't die in my 30's, it could be my 40's, 50's, or very likely my 60's.

Now I have 90 year old grandparents on my mother's side and from what I observed, I don't want to live that long anyway.

So right now I want to make it through the next few years with the promise of at least 10-20 more, get my boat, and take you all cruising!

Neuroleptic
01-18-2008, 02:43 PM
Ah, sorry for that then. Just had a few bad days at work lately, and one of them included watching someone die from heart failure. I kinda knew he was trying to be humerous, but since I didn't know the rest of that, I sorta felt a little obligated to say something.

^_^ live and learn. Sorry bout that. I gotta learn to keep my mouth shut.

Tycho
01-18-2008, 07:35 PM
Not at all. I thought your concern was kind of you and respectful and I appreciated it. Always go with your instincts. Yours seem fine from my point of view.

Neuroleptic
01-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Well, since I sorta got the topic off topic, I'll get it back on topic.

So, I spent my star wars money on an aquarium (55 gallon big @$$ tank!).

I SHOULD have spent my money on model kit supplies to, amusingly enough . . . biuld Fine Model's Star Wars kits! I'd have had enough to buy the millenium falcon with that and have lots of cash left over for paints. Oh the aggony of hind sight!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2008, 10:34 AM
I has begun.

I have started looking into the costs and building requirements for home additions, so my SW turret museum may be underway after all! :thumbsup:

Tycho
01-19-2008, 11:56 AM
Are you going to build a Hoth-like Rebel turret cannon onto your home?

That would be wild. I bet you could shoot some Wampas with that!

TeeEye7
01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
So, I spent my star wars money on an aquarium (55 gallon big @$$ tank!).

Money well spent IMO. An aquarium that size has always been a dream of mine. Actually, I've always wanted to try my hand at a salt water tank. Huge challenge, I understand, but something I've always wanted to undertake. I haven't had an aquarium in years but I'd like to get back to it. Very relaxing and enjoyable hobby for me.

DarthQuack
01-20-2008, 02:01 PM
I'd like to get an aquarium....very relaxing....supposedly lowers blood pressure.

stillakid
01-20-2008, 03:22 PM
I'd like to get an aquarium....very relaxing....supposedly lowers blood pressure.

... and a good source of protein.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-20-2008, 03:54 PM
How about an Aquarium Guitar (http://helmetguitars.com/images/stories/gallery_guitars/aquarium.jpg)? That should be even more relaxing if you play some soothing music with it.

TeeEye7
01-20-2008, 04:11 PM
If it's made by Martin or Guild, I'm in!:thumbsup:

That's really cool, MSP!

Mad Slanted Powers
01-20-2008, 05:25 PM
If it's made by Martin or Guild, I'm in!:thumbsup:

That's really cool, MSP!The site is Helmet Guitars. They have some guitars shaped like football helmets. The parent company is NEO Products, Inc. You should be able to see the other stuff they have available on that site.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-20-2008, 07:40 PM
Are you going to build a Hoth-like Rebel turret cannon onto your home?

That would be wild. I bet you could shoot some Wampas with that!Nah, nothing that ornate (though it would be cool). Besides, my city has rules against endangered icy creatures being harmed.

It's just a two-story octagonal add-on to the house, where it's all SW inside. But I do plan to look into a circular window with the inner pane on the glass like the pattern in the Emperor's throne room in ROJ. :thumbsup: