PDA

View Full Version : Best Figure of Comics 2-Packs - round 1

JediTricks
01-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Continuing the "best of 2007" poll series...

Which figure do you consider the best from the Comics 2-packs line?

This will be a 3-round poll: the 1st round will contain half the new figures from the Comics 2-packs line, the 2nd round will contain the other half, and from each of those polls, the top 5 winners will go head to head in the final round.

You can use whatever criteria you wish for voting, but remember, you are voting for the individual figure, not its pack-mate which will be in the 2nd round.

Keep in mind that you must be logged into the forums to vote.

bigbarada
01-12-2008, 04:27 PM
I picked Han Solo Stormtrooper because he's the only figure on that list I was interested in..... even though I eventually swapped out the body and helmet with a TAC Stormtrooper.... then swapped out the head with a VOTC Han Solo.... so, technically I'm voting for a completely different figure, but whaddya gonna do? :D

Battle Droid
01-12-2008, 04:44 PM
A'sharad Hett

Kidhuman
01-12-2008, 04:55 PM
A'sharad Hett

Ditto for me

DarthBrandon
01-12-2008, 05:32 PM
Ditto for me as well, with Fel coming in at a close second. If he had the goat, he would have got top spot.

sebillba
01-12-2008, 05:43 PM
I went for Hett as well..... I didn't know anything about the character, but a jedi tusken raider with removable mask looked pretty cool to me, so I bought the pack.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-12-2008, 05:44 PM
I picked Quinlan Vos. All the others either have something wrong with them or I don't have them yet.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Quinlan Vos with Hett a close second.

jedibear
01-12-2008, 07:01 PM
I went with Vos. He had a great run in the "Republic" comics...and it was a decent figure of him.

I like Hett, but I can't get past the mask being wrong :(

Snowtrooper
01-12-2008, 07:07 PM
I voted for Han Solo Stormtrooper. Quinlan Vos & Hett were both good figures, but I wasn't as familiar with those characters.

I picked Han Solo Stormtrooper because he's the only figure on that list I was interested in..... even though I eventually swapped out the body and helmet with a TAC Stormtrooper.... then swapped out the head with a VOTC Han Solo.... so, technically I'm voting for a completely different figure, but whaddya gonna do? :D

I kinda did the same thing. I managed to get another comic pak on sale and switched the heads with TAC Stormtrooper. As far as I'm concerned, its the definitive Han Solo in ST gear. Did the same thing with Luke even though he ends up taller than he should.

jediguy
01-12-2008, 08:42 PM
I picked Carnor Jax because he looks great and I am most familiar with the Crimson Empire comic than any of the other EU comics
the audiobook is AWESOME!! it has all of the official music and sound effects, and with the non canon characters, no wrong sounding voices for the characters

the marvel comic figures are neat looking, but I didn't really want the same characters I already have multiples of with a different color scheme

most of the EU figures are a welcome addition to my collection, even though I am not knowledgeable with the stories they come from

Tycho
01-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Carnor Jax - it's cool they did him. He's an easy repaint of Kir Kanos and they're both easy kit-bashes. I made customs of them myself back in the day with the salt-shaker Royal Guard and the SOTE Coruscant Elite Trooper.

Han Solo (stormtrooper) - I didn't buy him. Repaint-city. I have 2 Fruit Loops Hans and 1 from the cinema scene 3-pack. I don't need more - EVER. No matter how they improve him. However, I remember how excited to get the initial Fruit Loops one I was - I wanted this figure ever since 1985 - well before that, too (but that's when Luke came out in stormtrooper gear by Kenner). In any case, if Hasbro keeps their word from 1995 / 1997, a Han Stormtrooper figure will NEVER be single-carded (unless I suppose they sell him as a HTS /SW.com exclusive or something). Hasbro said they'd maintain the Han Trooper's collectibility this way. That was a popular idea if you were around in this hobby in 1995-1997. If you weren't, you're opinion's worth less anyway. :D

Quinlan Vos - he's very much a contender. I love the character and he was one of the most demanded EU figures as a rogue Jedi that even fought with Dooku on the Dark Side (while he was undercover we're to presume). Aayla Secura's first Jedi Master (to further help with some of you needing background), he runs in the shadows with a Devaronian mercenary and a human-girl prostitute who's in love with him. What's not to like. He survives Order-66 and goes underground.

Obi-Wan (SW:Republic) - almolst a repaint, he's an E2 Obi whereas a real E2 Obi-Wan should have been done as good. I bought this set for the cool ARC Trooper.

A'sharad Hett - with a Tusken head wrap and a gaffi stick that converts into a lightsaber (on the toy!) plus his father's lightsaber (his parents were human, his father a Jedi trained by Eeth Koth) he is an awesome force to be reckoned with and definitely a fun figure to play with. He gets my vote here. He actually is accurate from a flashback POV from Legacy. I think we're past spoiler time on that comic now. In Republic, when A'Sharad leaves Tatooine after Aurra Sing kills his father and Ki-Adi Mundi agrees to complete his training, he wears a more modern face wrap. Yes that would be what most people want. He becomes a Jedi and is assigned to train Anakin Skywalker at one point during the Clone Wars when they believe Obi-Wan is dead - killed by those assassin droids on Jabiim (included with the Anakin comic 2-pack) but in reality he's being held prisoner by Ventress. Anyway, Anakin hates Tusken Raiders and A'Sharad removes his head wrap so Anakin can see him as human and "get over it." However, Anakin has too much to "get over," as we know. A'Sharad continues fighting in the Clone Wars. He survives Order 66 but his former master Ki-Adi Mundi was slain and he has nowhere to go on the run, so he returns to Tatooine, to his people. THEN HE DONS THE OLD-SYLE HEAD WRAP AGAIN. But Obi-Wan is there, protecting his own secrets (Luke - though A'Sharad doesn't learn this) and Obi-Wan kicks him off the planet under his authority as a former Jedi High Council Member. Wounded A'Sharad travels as a mercenary for years, his life partially extended by time spent in stasis. Until the Yuuzhan Vong crisis offers him a new chance at power - especially since Obi-Wan is long out of the way. However, the offspring of Kenobi's proteges - Skywalkers no less - are there to block his ascension as "Darth Krayt." I don't know what will happen after that - the story is still continuing. Hasbro opted for the highbid A'Sharad Hett that mixes his Republic Comics apprenticeship look with his Clone Wars Jedi look, and his post Order 66 Legacy flashback look. It's inaccurate only so far as it's a confusing blend of his appearances through time.

Leia (Infinities) -it's just nice to have another Leia for EU dioramas.

Mara Jade - an improvement, so much so, I bought one. - but more for Luke.

Anakin (SW:Republic) - I passed, but maybe I'll wind up getting this yet.

Baron Fel - if he had more hair and a goatee - looked more like George Clooney or Charlie Sheen, that'd be more accurate. The figure and accessories are awesome though. He comes so close! But Fel only appears as they made his figure on one comic book cover. Inside, he's got the "van dyke." (I never heard that description before until discussing this figure). Anyway, I doubt that Hasbro will correct this and I'm happy to have the figure anyway. He married Wedge's sister and was classmates with Han Solo at the Imperial Academy. Fel's son married Han Solo's daughter. Their descendants eventually rule a new benevolent Empire in the Legacy era - all Force sensitive knights as well - courtesy of Jaina Solo being their maternal grandparent. But in a TIE, Fel is a dangerous killer who was once blinded by his loyalty to the Empire.

Koffi Arana - a throw away, one-shot Jedi who dies trying to kill Darth Vader in the Dark Lord's early days after Mustafar. Koffi's unorthodox strategy is to kill Baltar Swan who is fighting Vader to surprise Vader with his strike at both opponents, hoping to kill Vader and sacraficing Swan in order to end the Dark Lord's reign early. Needless to say, it doesn't work. And for lack of a better name, Dark Horse originally borrowed the former United Nations Secretary General's name just because they got lazy. I'm sure Dark Lord Cheney is going to be next.

misosazai7
01-13-2008, 12:22 AM
I went with A'sharad Hett. Quinlan Vos was a close runner up, but he would have needed leg articulation to bring it home. Mara Jade was a decent figure, but the head was just a bit too big. I also don't like the slit arm articulation. That brings me to the worst, sadly, which was Leia with the man hands; this character just can't seem to get a decent figure, but I admire greatly the attempt. Oh, one more thing: thank God that against all odds Bultar Swan is getting another figure via the evolutions line.

jedibear
01-13-2008, 12:36 AM
It's inaccurate only so far as it's a confusing blend of his appearances through time.

You're making valid points here sir...I guess my take is I wish that the figure represented the mask we see in the comic included with the set (or included both versions). It's kinda like the Fel/no goatee issue...granted, he had a clean-faced appearance briefly in the comics but most readers remember that striking goatee giving him that rather intense presence on the comic page. heck, it's even included on the packaging's side panel!

I really like Hett...alot. But Vos just won me over a bit more. (and yes, misosazai7, you are right......leg articulation on him would've been REAL nice) Here's hoping a Darth Krayt is in the future of these sets...(heck, with Hett's changed appearences, would an "Evolutions" set be too much of a stretch? :))

ChrisLyne
01-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Quinlan Vos for me. On my EU want list he was second only to the Solo twins so I was very glad to see him get a release and in my favorite of his Clone Wars costumes.

mtriv73
01-13-2008, 03:35 PM
Mr. Vos

A'sharad was a bit of a disappointment due to the errors in his wrappings. Since we're never likely to see another one, I wish they'd gotten it right.

jedi master sal
01-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Quinlan Vos with Hett a close second.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-13-2008, 08:13 PM
Carnor Jax
Han Solo (stormtrooper)
Quinlan Vos
Obi-Wan (SW:Republic)
A'sharad Hett
Leia (Infinities)
Mara Jade
Anakin (SW:Republic)
Baron Fel
Koffi Arana

I haven't opened these, so I can't judge them as well as I would like to, so I'll have to rely on the articulation diagrams on RS and my personal preferences as to which one I was most interested in and how it looks.

Right off, I think I will eliminate Han, Obi-Wan, Leia, Anakin and Koffi. The latter looks a bit out of place in Star Wars.

Mara Jade and Baron Fel were probably the two I was most interested in getting. Mara is a nice improvement over her previous plastic incarnation. However I think, except for the lack of goatee, Baron Fel is better executed. Jax, Hett and Vos are all good figures, but I will go with Fel as my choice.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 06:11 PM
A'Sharad narrowly beats out my homegirl, who, despite what the talentless hacks typing random gibberish to pass off as Star Wars novels would have you believe, is very much alive.

JediTricks
01-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Of these, I have:
Leia, Mara, Quinlan, and Anakin

I ended up choosing Leia actually, I think this is a pretty decent-looking Leia Jedi figure and that's something we haven't done in quite a while.

Mara was a close second, and actually would have been my #1 choice if not for the issues with sloppy paint, both the forehead issue and the wonky eye issue.

Quinlan's an ok figure but doesn't feel like a standout figure to me, just another Jedi guy.

Anakin's kinda 'meh'.

Despite Tycho's urgings, I still haven't bought the A'sharad Hett set. The Dark Woman doesn't really look like Star Wars at all, and Hett I don't think looks particularly good, it looks a little generic.

Cane_Adiss
01-15-2008, 11:27 AM
I wen't with A'sharad Hett as he's the character I most wanted done as a figure out of all of these, and I was pleased he turned out the best! Unfortunately, the Dark Woman isn't as exciting or as good a figure but I'm glad she was made anyway. I would have rathered they did a super articulated Aurra Sing as the second figure instead of the Dark woman so Hett has someone to fight. Hopefully Hasbro will do another Aurra Sing in the future as the POTJ one really needs an update.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-15-2008, 03:11 PM
Mara Jade, best figure of the year in my opinion...well with Kir Kanos making a very loud coughing sound as in don't forget about the bad guy that is the Emperor's right hand man...The one that wasn't a black wearing-clad wuss.

samskull
01-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I chose Battle-worn Obi-wan. I like his mullet-haired head, plus the worn robe is cool. Not sure why they put softgoods "kilt" on him since he can't sit down. But overall I like him better than all the others, except maybe Han Sotormtrooper in "non-Marvel" colors.

bighead5
01-17-2008, 01:51 AM
I chose A'sharad Hett, but Mara Jade was a very close second IMO.