PDA

View Full Version : Commander Gree has ball-joints wrists....

bigbarada
01-14-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC0803gree.asp

...and I just have this sinking feeling that Hasbro only did this to justify "updating" every single flavor of Clone that they've made since 2005 and rereleasing them.:upset:

Don't get me wrong, Gree looks like a quality figure; but did we really need a complete revamp of the Ep3 Clonetrooper so soon?

jedi master sal
01-14-2008, 11:51 AM
http://www.rebelscum.com/TAC0803gree.asp

...and I just have this sinking feeling that Hasbro only did this to justify "updating" every single flavor of Clone that they've made since 2005 and rereleasing them.:upset:

Don't get me wrong, Gree looks like a quality figure; but did we really need a complete revamp of the Ep3 Clonetrooper so soon?

Agreed...At the least every commander will get an upgrade. Bacara needs it. Cody needs it too (ankle articulation as well). Neyo and Bly are fine.

I don't think I'll go back and repurchase these for the added articulation in the wrists. I've got well over 1000 clones between AOTC and ROTS. That would be WAY to expensive for me, and unnecessary. Though I would get the commanders since I'd only need one of each. Be nice to see them in a 5 pack with the ultimate articulation....give it a year or so, I bet it's coming, lol.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm thinking the same thing. Re-do at least Cody, and Bacara, leave the rest of them alone. While I don't have quit as many clones as you do sal(close to 200 between the films and EU), I can can do without having to revisit most of the ones I do.

A multipack with commanders would be great though, but limited strictly to those that appeared in the movies or CW.

jedi master sal
01-14-2008, 07:47 PM
A multipack with commanders would be great though, but limited strictly to those that appeared in the movies or CW.

I'm for the big 5- Bacara, Cody, Neyo, Bly and Gree. That set would look nice with the Gentle Giant Busts too. Maybe a special Clone Wars only set too. But I can't think of 5 who would make up that se without repeating some.

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 07:52 PM
Whoop-dee-freaking-do.

I have a Gree. I'm not especially fond of the character. All he does is get his head chopped off by a small special effect.

Ball joints, removable helmet, slightly different paint scheme... I see no reason to invest $7 more into such a disposable five seconds of screen time.

Wake me when those twerps at Hasbro decide the fat lady is more important than resculpting these stupid Clonetroopers.

bigbarada
01-14-2008, 08:12 PM
Whoop-dee-freaking-do.

I have a Gree. I'm not especially fond of the character. All he does is get his head chopped off by a small special effect.

Ball joints, removable helmet, slightly different paint scheme... I see no reason to invest $7 more into such a disposable five seconds of screen time.

Wake me when those twerps at Hasbro decide the fat lady is more important than resculpting these stupid Clonetroopers.

Plus, it's been a few months since we've gotten a new Snowtrooper, I think it's high time Hasbro updated us with an all-new version. And that Biker Scout, what is that sculpt like a year old, maybe more? 'Bout time for Hasbro to freshen that one up too.

I won't be happy until Hasbro redoes every single action figure with ball-joint trigger fingers.:D

Jedi_Kal-El
01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Plus, it's been a few months since we've gotten a new Snowtrooper, I think it's high time Hasbro updated us with an all-new version. And that Biker Scout, what is that sculpt like a year old, maybe more? 'Bout time for Hasbro to freshen that one up too.

I won't be happy until Hasbro redoes every single action figure with ball-joint trigger fingers.:D

Don't forget the Vader reduex with ball-jointed force choke. :thumbsup:

bigbarada
01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Don't forget the Vader reduex with ball-jointed force choke. :thumbsup:

Hasbro also has a 'Legends of the Dark Lord' line in the works:

Here's the write up from Hasbro: "From a horrible nightmare, Darth Vader has awakened in an alternate universe where the Rebels are in control. Vader fights back to regain control by developing Neural Suit technology that taps into his thoughts and impulses and automatically reacts to danger. Darth Vader has now become a living, breathing weapon."

The line will include:
Glacier Shield Darth Vader
Neural Claw Darth Vader
Spline Cape Darth Vader
Assault Gauntlet Darth Vader
Battle Gear Darth Vader
Hover Attack Darth Vader
Heat Scan Darth Vader
Fractal Armor Darth Vader
Turbo Surge Darth Vader
Snow Tracker Darth Vader

(Chux is probably the only one who will get the reference here. :D )

El Chuxter
01-14-2008, 09:55 PM
Nah, I think JT will get it, too.

:thumbsup:

figrin bran
01-14-2008, 11:09 PM

Here's the write up from Hasbro: "From a horrible nightmare, Darth Vader has awakened in an alternate universe where the Rebels are in control. Vader fights back to regain control by developing Neural Suit technology that taps into his thoughts and impulses and automatically reacts to danger. Darth Vader has now become a living, breathing weapon."

The line will include:
Neural Claw Darth Vader
Spline Cape Darth Vader
Battle Gear Darth Vader
Hover Attack Darth Vader
Heat Scan Darth Vader
Turbo Surge Darth Vader
Snow Tracker Darth Vader

You guys are talking about Batman figures, not something only Chux or JT would know about...

jediguy
01-15-2008, 12:22 AM
does this new Gree have a removable head like that old Jango and that old Tusken Raider?
that might make it worth another investment, but otherwise, I will wait for the clearance price

Jedi_Kal-El
01-15-2008, 02:29 PM

The line will include:
Neural Claw Darth Vader
Spline Cape Darth Vader
Battle Gear Darth Vader
Hover Attack Darth Vader
Heat Scan Darth Vader
Turbo Surge Darth Vader
Snow Tracker Darth Vader

Na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na...Va..der!

bigbarada
01-15-2008, 02:58 PM
I'd bet someone at Hasbro is really ticked because I just spilled the beans on half of their 2009 assortment.:D

I've also stumbled upon their "2,010 Vaders for 2010!" marketing campaign planned for the year after that. :p

Jedi_Kal-El
01-15-2008, 05:05 PM
I'd bet someone at Hasbro is really ticked because I just spilled the beans on half of their 2009 assortment.:D

I've also stumbled upon their "2,010 Vaders for 2010!" marketing campaign planned for the year after that. :p

Ahh man...gonna need to get another shelf for all those Vaders. lol

Sinscia Fat'o
01-17-2008, 01:16 PM
I will get Gree but because i missed him the first time around, not because of the extra articulation. As for bringing out the rest of the commanders with this little feature my question is why? Don't get me wrong i love articulation but cody, neyo, and the others with the exception of Bacara are all really good if not great figures.

Darth Cruel
04-09-2008, 10:22 AM
I got a Commander Gree Figure a couple of days ago and I really like it. I am an articulation fan and this one has taken it to the next level. The ball-jointed hips and the added bendability to the wrists (they are not ball jointed) really add to the variety of positions the weapons can be held in. The ball-jointed hips will definitely help some figures to sit better on Speeder Bikes and B.A.R.C. Speeders.

I can see where many would find the #41 sculpted Gree to be more than sufficient in the articulation department. I am a big fan of that sculpt and I still think that it looks nicer than the new gree sculpt in the poses that they can both be placed into. I am on the fence about which one a like better overall. I am not a fan of removeable helmets. But I would really like interchangeable heads with regular head sculpts and helmets. I think Hasbro would have had a much better hit on their hands if they had used that sculpt to do a new commander or clone or a new clone trooper. That sculpt may have even made an EU clone a little more popular.

One other thing is that as far as the wrists go, it seems to me that the true limit of the wrist articulation could be accomplished if the hands were done on a double peg that inserts into the hand and the arm and that has an pivot joint in the middle of it. That may be a money nightmare, though.

Overall, though, I think it is a great sculpt. And Gree looks great with the Kashyyyk Troopers!

http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa129/DarthCruel/DSC04390a.jpg

I did take a little bit of license with the weapons.

Devo
04-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Its not just clones that the new bendy wrists have implications for - jedi aswell. Now we're going to need every new Lightsabre wielding character having this feature - most jedi figures can only hold their lightsabers upright in front of them - this would theoretically enable them to point lightsabres away from their bodies in more aggressive poses. Now I don't have the Gree figure to prove this, I'm just speculating.

Darth Cruel
04-09-2008, 08:44 PM
Its not just clones that the new bendy wrists have implications for - jedi aswell. Now we're going to need every new Lightsabre wielding character having this feature - most jedi figures can only hold their lightsabers upright in front of them - this would theoretically enable them to point lightsabres away from their bodies in more aggressive poses. Now I don't have the Gree figure to prove this, I'm just speculating.

Indeed, verily thou art correct. I must put this hypothesis to the test and photograph the results in the morning (my Gree is at work).

Gothiczartan
04-09-2008, 08:59 PM
this figure looks fine to me if I seen him enough in the movie. tell me if he looks just right and completely movie accurate? I say he looks ok. this figure will work for me.

Darth Cruel
04-09-2008, 09:41 PM
this figure looks fine to me if I seen him enough in the movie. tell me if he looks just right and completely movie accurate? I say he looks ok. this figure will work for me.

Movie accuracy is kind of subjective. It looks to me that all of the correct markings are represented. The armor is dark where it should be dark and lighter where it should be lighter. But the shade of green on the camoflage is just slightly off. Overall it is PLENTY close enough for me. The on-screen armor matches the Kashyyyk Troopers' armor just a little more closely.

Gothiczartan
04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
Movie accuracy is kind of subjective. It looks to me that all of the correct markings are represented. The armor is dark where it should be dark and lighter where it should be lighter. But the shade of green on the camoflage is just slightly off. Overall it is PLENTY close enough for me. The on-screen armor matches the Kashyyyk Troopers' armor just a little more closely.

does this figure close enough to movie accurate? I think so. I don't see any errors on this figure as for kashyyk trooper, it may not have a removable helmet, a flip up mask looks fine to me and in the movie they were never seen with their helmets off. the kashyyyk trooper figure will work out for me. this figure is much movie accurate to me. I'm happy for that. that was one of my ideas that I want to see this made!