PDA

View Full Version : Complex originality

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2001, 12:14 PM
Thought I'd try to sound intelligent (or smart!) with such a high-sounding title.

We know that SW fans are loyal, creative, and talented. Things such as dioramas, costumes, drawings and paintings, custom figures, screenplays, websites, etc. What are the most intricate things you've made related to Star Wars? That took the msot time, or effort? Or just were cool. I'll list my later, to see if anyone else's is better (which I assume they will be).

The Empire Strikes Back.

Jedi Clint
08-23-2001, 03:57 PM
Cool topic!

I attend an annual Halloween Party, and one year I went as Emperor Palpatine. I had to make a lifecast of my face, sculpt the Emperor onto that, make a negative mold of the work, use a 2 part foam rubber system to make facial appliances, paint the appliances, beg my Mom to sew me up a black Jedi style cloak (I love that thing!!), find a good stick for a cane, and wear those uncomfortable facial appliances an entire evening while trying to enjoy the party. It was well worth it though. I picked up a great skill! I am thinking of reprising the character again this year. I have gained a bit of experience since the first attempt, and I think I can do much better. There are other characters to choose from though........sigh.....decisions, decisions.

Darth Cruel
08-23-2001, 06:15 PM
As much as I appreciate the vote of confidence, I must admit that I have NO talent for custom figures, costumes and the like. On the other hand, I do intend to try my hand at dioramas in the near future. I have actually considered taking a course on sculpting just so I can do some custom stuff like wounded troopers and 12" scale ships like the T.I.E. and X-Wing fightrers.

I am also thinking of commisioning someone to do them for me.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-23-2001, 07:34 PM
Well, I have a couple to choose from. My fave is my Endor Shield Bunker-shaped mailbox. Painted grey-green, sloping sides, on a post with the carbon freezing chamber pattern of circles and long ovals in red.The doors open out from the center by little nobs at the bottom. The "flag" was a dowel painted like a red lightsaber. However, the Evil Imperial Postal Workers refused to deliver the mail unless I got a "real" mailbox, so now it has a metal one on top of it. Looks like crap now. Booo!!!

My "Bel-Cam Jos" fictional Jedi costume for the E1 opening day was great. In blue instead of brown, I used a judo/karate shirt for the top, made a hooded robe, built a lightsaber out of PVC pipe and painted it silver. Little kids at the opening asked me to turn on my lightsaber, but I told them I had to take the batteries out so no one would get hurt.

Obi-Dan Kenobi
08-24-2001, 12:01 AM
In sculpture class in college, we had an assignment to make a sled, which we were going to try out on a hill in a nearby park. I designed a landspeeder sled. What I lacked in originality, I made up in effort. I made it out of steel and wood, and I had no idea what I was doing. I had to teach myself how to weld, and I really did impress myself. My teacher was a grad student who also loved Star Wars, so he supported my idea. Ultimately, though, it tuned out kind of sucky, the welds kept falling apart, and it was never really finished to a degree that was satisfactory. My teacher was nice and gave me a C since I worked so hard on it. And it didn't snow for the rest of the winter so we never got to try out our sleds.

GNT
08-24-2001, 01:48 AM
Would making a Lego Playset count? I guess not

I've made heaps of stuff out of Lego,Such as places like Tatooine,Naboo and the Death Star. I also made Jabba's Sail barge including Jabba a long time ago its over a meter long!

JediTricks
08-24-2001, 08:22 AM
When I was around 10, I made a replica of the Mos Eisley cantina out of Lego (though it was primarily black instead of tan or yellow). I ended up with a band, a full room of characters, and a bar with stuff hanging over it like in the film, but I never got a photo and after I built my Lego Starspeeder 3000 around a year later, I converted the bar into a spaceport, though I did make a section of the spaceport into a bar off the cantina designs. Other than that, I work here, does that count? ;)

evenflow
08-24-2001, 08:30 AM
This is a little different. Although I do customize, and I take part in the customizing forum, the hardest and craziest thing I did was for school. I am now going into my junior year of college as a psycholgy/pre-med major. In my last year of high school I took all the psych classes. The final for one was to research a topic and relate it in psychology. I wrote an eighteen page paper on Star Wars as being Psychology. :D

QLD
08-24-2001, 09:14 AM
I have zero talent when it comes to creating and customizing anything really. I leave that to the fine folks at Hasbo.

But every so often, I do set up my figures in scenes from the movie. That is the extent of my talent. Well, my toy talents anyway.

bigbarada
08-24-2001, 10:53 AM
I'm working on a couple of customized figures right now, namely a 12" Barada which I had to sculpt the head entirely from scratch using Super Sculpey. I also started on a Gamorean Guard bust but ran out of Sculpey (at $10 a puond that stuff gets expensive).

Aside from that I do drawings of characters, namely Imperials, I've never displayed them or anything, I have yet to find a good place to post them on the internet. The site I use now to display my D&D drawings, Elfwood, won't let you post copywrighted characters.

El Chuxter
08-24-2001, 11:53 AM
Everyone knows what my first (and thus far, only) customized 3.75" figure is, right? No? Okay, here it is again: Qui-Gon Jinn in Slave Gear! That's right--to test my ability to swap heads without wasting valuable custom fodder, I put the head from Deluxe Qui-Gon on the body of Slave Leia. Sick, I know, but a definite conversation piece.

I have a couple of sketches I've done over the years, but the one that jumps to mind (which I promise to scan and put online at some point) is of Chewie, C-3PO, and R2-D2 standing behind Leia, who looks utterly horrified (or as utterly horrified as I can draw her). A bit in front of her, Darth Vader is picking his nose, and Leia is shouting, "Daddy, why must you always embarrass me?" Okay, now we have sick and stupid. :)

Most of my other Star Wars ideas I've put on El Chuxter's Funky Fresh Star Wars Web Site of JOY (http://fan.starwars.com/elchuxter), which I plan to update sometime within the next millennium.

Starfig873
08-24-2001, 12:16 PM
Me? I draw. I have several Star Wars pictures and I am currently working on a website to showcase my stuff. I shall come back when me site is complete and allow all ye to look upon them!

:p easy enough to read eh?

Jargo
08-24-2001, 09:18 PM
Hmmmmm... Well I have my website THE NEW EMPIRE (http://website.lineone.net/~jargoboy/new-empire.index.html) And I build scale model backdrop pieces out of old boxes for figure display purposes. These are then sprayed and dirtied and have some sculpting added to them and end up as reasonable facsimiles of buildings from star wars. I'm trying to blag my sisters digital camera to take a few pics that I'll stick on my site for scrutiny sometime soon.
I used to build stuff in lego like the Bespin chasm with my own custom minifigs. I always made little Millenium Falcons or TIE fighters or shuttle Tydirium 'n' stuff like that.
Back in the seventies I made stuff like Luke's landspeeder out of a shampoo bottle and fixed it all together with selotape. I thought it looked pretty cool. I'm still trying to figure out a way to build the death star docking bay and yet leave myself enough room in my little bedroom to move or indeed breathe.
Next up is Jabba's palace throne room in full detail. Been planning it for years and just found pics of the details I've been missing. So it's time to go find some old boxes...

stillakid
08-24-2001, 09:46 PM
As a kid, before the toys came out, I made the ships out of cardboard using the few trading cards I had as guides.

Then a long period of nothing....

Until last year, when my son and I made three pod racers using (almost) nothing more than "garbage" that was otherwise ready to be thrown away. Using stuff like juice bottles, other plastic containers, plastic bits o' junk, wire pieces, ice cream cone foam holder thingies, etc, we painted then assembled them from scratch. I visited the hobby store and picked up a couple of little glue on things from Pinewood racer kits and some decals. I'll get around to putting them on the web at some point.

MICHAELFRIGHT SPFX
08-26-2001, 04:15 AM
AT-AT WALKER

http://michaelfright.homestead.com/files/large_walker_2.jpg

Now I'm working on a 35ft long TANTIVE IV
1:1 scale with the same 3-3/4 figures.
You can see it EXCLUSIVELY at

WWW.ARTOOSNEWS.COM

SANDCRAWLER

http://michaelfright.homestead.com/files/sandcrawler_backyard_1.jpg

http://michaelfright.homestead.com/michaelfright.html

JediTricks
08-26-2001, 08:40 AM
"I moderate a popular Star Wars website" ;)

bigbarada
08-26-2001, 02:58 PM
My brother is an excellent self-taught sculptor who really should be working for Lucasfilm or Hasbro or somebody. I've attached some pics of one of his first major works, a Nikto bust. The pictures he sent me are kind of small, I'll see if I can get him to e-mail me some biggr ones.

master jedi
08-26-2001, 09:33 PM
Your brother did that? Wow!
When you get more pics be sure to post 'em.

JediTricks
08-27-2001, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by bigbarada
My brother is an excellent self-taught sculptor who really should be working for Lucasfilm or Hasbro or somebody. I've attached some pics of one of his first major works, a Nikto bust. The pictures he sent me are kind of small, I'll see if I can get him to e-mail me some biggr ones. Holy crap, you're not yankin' our chains on that, are ya? Very nice work! He should get some sample work to Lucasfilm right away.

bigbarada
08-27-2001, 09:52 AM
Yes, my brother is insanely talented, and it drives me nuts because he'll never send a submission in. So I've taken it upon myself to act as his representative. He's made some excellent busts of Aurra Sing and Grand Moff Tarkin that I'm trying to get him to send me pics of. Once I get them I'll post them for all to see.

El Chuxter
08-27-2001, 02:16 PM
MICHAELFRIGHT SPFX, bigbarada, I must say those are INCREDIBLE! :D