PDA

View Full Version : Mighty Muggs!!

El Chuxter
01-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Anyone collecting these?

Anyone?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I saw some at WM, and they looked just as much like butt in person. What is the point of these things?

bigbarada
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM
What are they exactly? When I hear "mighty muggs" I think of some stylized coffee mug or something like that.

Or is this just a lame attempt to cash in on the whole Lego/Kubrick/Galactic Heroes craze?

Neuroleptic
01-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I saw these at target in person and I STILL couldn't figure out what they are. They seemed to be selling . . . but I had no idea why ANYONE would flipping pay money for them. You couldn't GIVE me one unless you were trying to get me to take up fireing a gun and using them as target practice.

And fun as that'd be, youd still have to give me a complimentary AK-47 with tons of ammo to get me to take it.

figrin bran
01-18-2008, 12:17 AM
Most of us in the LA finds thread like these. They're SW versions of "urban vinyl" collectibles.

I guess they're rather polarizing in that either you utterly hate them or you find them appealing :p

plasticfetish
01-18-2008, 12:43 AM
I think they're cheese. Not into them... and I'm a fan of most "urban vinyl" type things. I just don't think they're as cool as they could have been.

bigbarada
01-18-2008, 01:48 AM
How big are these things anyway?

El Chuxter
01-18-2008, 10:38 AM
About the size of a closed fist.

What is "urban vinyl"? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

bigbarada
01-18-2008, 11:21 AM
About the size of a closed fist.

What is "urban vinyl"? I don't think I've ever heard of it.

That small? For some reason I thought they were bigger.

I think "urban vinyl" means that they have "street cred." So, when you're "in the hood" you'll only get beat up twice a day for collecting baby toys, instead of the standard five times a day.... bee-yotch!

:D

plasticfetish
01-18-2008, 12:14 PM
What is "urban vinyl"? I don't think I've ever heard of it.Like >> this (http://www.kidrobot.com).

El Chuxter
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
Wow. That's quite the craze. I've never seen anything like that, so it's definitely a bandwagon Hasbro needed to jump on. :rolleyes:

At least I saw cheapo motorcycles before they made the Custom Choppers.

plasticfetish
01-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah, it's very much an example of Hasbro trying to cash in on the "hip new thing" ...which isn't exactly new, given that the scene has been around for about a decade.

The idea evolved from people who were creating their own custom toys. Having a company like Hasbro trying to be a part of it is a little like seeing your mom wearing one of those lame "Von Dutch" trucker hats.

JediTricks
01-18-2008, 03:02 PM
The figs are about 6" tall I'd say, maybe even 7". They're really dopey IMO, but I've always found the urban vinyl trend to be more about the manufacturers than the customers' interests. Plus, as stated, Hasbro is cashing in on a trend that's been on its way out for about a year already. Urban vinyl is big here in LA, but I think that's just a local thing, and most "designer toys" like this are sold in ultra-low numbers, not Hasbro's usual fare.

The figures, I saw Chewie, Han, and Fett - they've all got the same body and Fett has Jango's backpack which is lame. Chewie looks ridiculously out of place all cutesied up. Han looks like they couldn't decide what to do with them. I notice that the 2-D art on the cardback looks a lot better than the actual 3-D versions, which are pudgier and don't translate it well.

I have a feeling this trend will die out in a couple years totally, and pull a Beanie Babies with ebay prices that currently are in the hundreds or thousands being in the tens.

plasticfetish
01-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Plus, as stated, Hasbro is cashing in on a trend that's been on its way out for about a year already. Urban vinyl is big here in LA, but I think that's just a local thing, and most "designer toys" like this are sold in ultra-low numbers, not Hasbro's usual fare.Well, I wouldn't say that it's on its way out. It has its "trendy" aspect, but the most important element, and what's missing from Mighty Muggs, is the specialness of having various artists involved in creating the toys. If Hasbro had farmed this idea out to another company, who'd involved a variety of designers in the process with everyone doing their own take on the characters, then it would have been cool.

Urban/designer vinyl isnít just an LA (center of the universe) thing either, but it does tend to be most popular in... you know... "urban" areas.

2-1B
01-19-2008, 05:02 AM
They're better than SW Choppers.

plasticfetish
01-19-2008, 06:24 AM
That's true, but so's cholera.

Kidhuman
01-19-2008, 06:39 AM
I hate these things. I think they look spastic.

bobafrett
01-19-2008, 11:28 AM
We got the first wave, 2 each of Chewy, Han, Bobafett, and Vader in, and they sold out in just two days. I think they are around $10 each. I haven't given in to collecting these, mostly because of the price.

Jayspawn
01-20-2008, 06:46 PM
I bought the Boba Fett a few weeks ago on impulse (as I'm all about Fett). And I returned him in less than a day. These things are stupid and I hated owning one.

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 09:09 PM
I went on the hunt with Deoxy the other day, she bought Fett & Vader so I got to experience these firsthand. They're hard plastic which surprised me, and they don't stand all that well thanks to Hasbro kwality kontrol. Their paint apps are very simple, they lack subtlety and nuance. But I have to admit, Deoxy really dug hers (until I pointed out how lame it is that Hasbro put Jango's backpack in Jango colors on Boba's back, and it's not even removable :p).

PF, are they big in your area? No? Then shut up. :p ;)

plasticfetish
01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
Hah! lol

Brother... I don't live on a farm. There are plenty of places that sell "designer vinyl" here. (Obviously you didn't see the pics on my blog of the last Dunny party at one of our local shops. :cry:)

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 12:11 AM
Yeah, and how many do they sell generally? 3 in a year? Riiiight. :D

Deoxyribonucleic
01-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Anyone collecting these?

Anyone?

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

I saw some at WM, and they looked just as much like butt in person. What is the point of these things?

if my butt was sitting there in those packages, would you buy it?

Deoxy really dug hers (until I pointed out how lame it is that Hasbro put Jango's backpack in Jango colors on Boba's back, and it's not even removable

thanks, just thanks ;)

I want that stormtrooper and I don't care which 'variant' it is

Kidhuman
01-25-2008, 06:30 AM
I saw the stormie yesterday in Target along with Maul. They still look physically challenged.

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 09:37 PM
thanks, just thanks ;)"Hey, it's me!" :thumbsup:

I want that stormtrooper and I don't care which 'variant' it isDone and done.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-26-2008, 10:45 PM
I just recently saw these in the stores. Kinda look like Power Puff Girls but done in SW characters. They're not bad, but I think I'm gonna pass. Just less shelf space for something else I'll get later on and they'll end up in storage.

Battle Droid
02-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Wave 3

http://www.entertainmentearth.com/prodinfo.asp?number=HS78016C

This Wave 3 case includes 4 individually packaged Action Figures: 1x Jango Fett, 1x Lando Calrissian, 1x Princess Leia, and 1x Commander Cody. (Subject to change.)

Here's what they could look like,

http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2008/Muggs1-tn.jpg

Wave 4

General Grievous
Bespin Luke w/ removable hand.
Palpatine
Yoda

http://www.rebelscum.com/toys2008/Muggs2-tn.jpg

jedibear
02-02-2008, 11:09 PM
My question is simple:

When did Star Wars do an episode of "The Powder Puff Girls"?

Because like Jedi Kal-El mentioned, that's what these ridiculous things look like.

Yeah, they flew off the shelve for the first wave that showed up here, but now the new shipment of what looks like at least three cases worth is just sitting there.

Somebody slap whoever it was at Lucas Licensing that OK'd this crap...

El Chuxter
02-03-2008, 12:50 AM
Han Solo vs Mojo Jojo Battlepack on the way?

plasticfetish
02-03-2008, 01:02 AM
Han Solo vs Mojo Jojo Battlepack on the way?That I would buy!

Wandered around a bit today, and saw tons of Solos hanging about. I think what bothers me about these, is that they're so damned large. I don't understand why Hasbro decided to go with a 6-inch figure, rather than a 3-inch like most other "designer vinyl" figures.

Blue2th
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
These things look rediculous. Are they really mugs? Can you put coffee in them? Other than that, I see absolutely no use for these too cute what-ya-ma-call-its.
I foresee these going the way of the Star Wars Motorcycle figure thingy whatever-you call em.

Jargo
02-03-2008, 10:48 AM
hmmm. the galactic hero things are enough of a cutsey vinyl thing for my tastes. these muggs are just damn stupid. like potato head characters mated with calactic heroes and gave birth to mutants. they're as retarded as Quee's. only not as visually stimulating. I'm sure mighty muggs will make for excellent slingshot ammo though.

bigbarada
01-30-2009, 06:34 PM
I actually bought my first Mighty Mugg yesterday. It was the unmasked version of Darth Vader. What I thought was ingenious was that you can turn his head around, put his helmet on and he looks like a masked Darth Vader. I thought that was pretty cool.

I thought Darth Maul looked pretty cool too, I just wish that his horns actually protruded from his head.

Anyways, I'm actually thinking of buying some of those Mighty Mugg blanks from HTS and making my own.

bigbarada
01-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Anyways, I'm actually thinking of buying some of those Mighty Mugg blanks from HTS and making my own.

Scratch that, it will be cheaper to just buy the clearanced Indiana Jones Muggs and repaint them.

Darth Jax
01-30-2009, 10:19 PM
i'm really hit or miss with urban vinyl. i have most of the homies. i really like my galactic heroes. but the mighty muggs don't do much for me (though i lurve my short round and would lurve the punisher if i could ever find him). the girlfriend is way into kidrobot and digs the whole urban vinyl thing so she picks up the star wars ones on occasion for me (think i've got leia, vader, maul and fett).

plasticfetish
01-30-2009, 11:20 PM
i'm really hit or miss with urban vinyl.Yeah, but to be honest, Mighty Muggs are really more suburban vinyl compared to what Kidrobot puts out. ;)

Scratch that, it will be cheaper to just buy the clearanced Indiana Jones Muggs and repaint them.That's what people have done with the larger Kidrobot Dunny (http://kidrobot.com/content.cfm?section=dunny) figures, because they don't make blanks of those.

bigbarada
01-31-2009, 12:28 AM
That's what people have done with the larger Kidrobot Dunny (http://kidrobot.com/content.cfm?section=dunny) figures, because they don't make blanks of those.

I was kind of surprised that the blank Muggs still sell for $10 each. The Indys are on clearance for $5 each at Wal-Mart, so I'll just get a few of those and sand them down and repaint them.

From those Kidrobot figures, I actually like the Munny toys a little better. Mainly because they don't have the rabbit ears. Still they're pretty expensive. I thought the whole point of "urban vinyl" was that the figures were supposed to be cheap?

Darth Jax
01-31-2009, 09:03 AM
I was kind of surprised that the blank Muggs still sell for $10 each. The Indys are on clearance for $5 each at Wal-Mart, so I'll just get a few of those and sand them down and repaint them.

From those Kidrobot figures, I actually like the Munny toys a little better. Mainly because they don't have the rabbit ears. Still they're pretty expensive. I thought the whole point of "urban vinyl" was that the figures were supposed to be cheap?

the smaller figures are blind packed, so if you pull a chase figure they command a pretty high resale value.

sith_killer_99
02-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Yesterday I bought my first Mighty Mugg. It was a present for my daughter, she wanted the Mace Windu.:D