PDA

View Full Version : Baseball in the year 2008

Bel-Cam Jos
01-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Start off the next year with the goings-on of the Boys of Summer (cue Don Henley or the Ataris). Questions abound:

- how much of an impact will the Mitchell Report have on the rosters?
- what major milestones will be reached, or records be broken?
- will anyone pick up Bonds?
- can the Pirates lose less than 82 games? :cry:

Where's the chatter? Heeeeeyyyyyyyyyyy chat-ter! Sweet!

Kidhuman
01-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Everyone knows the Mitchell report was pure BS. It will not have an effect on the rosters.

Manny will reach 500 HR's for a milestone(he is close to 490 right now)

Bonds is finished as is Clemens.

Pirates wont win 80 games.

Slicker
01-19-2008, 01:21 AM
Bonds is finished. Clemens is finished. The Tigers win the World Series.

2-1B
01-19-2008, 05:46 AM
I want the Tigers to win it all for our SSG Michiganders !!!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
Manny will reach 500 HR's for a milestone(he is close to 490 right now)

Bonds is finished as is Clemens.

Pirates wont win 80 games.I find your lack of faith disturbing. Disturbingly accurate for the last 14 seasons. :sad:

Is anybody else near 500? Is Griffey Jr close to 600? I wonder if any relievers are close to the all-time appearances record (I think Jesse Orosco has it). Omar Vizquel is getting near 3K hits, too.

My pre-season predictions:
NL East NY Mets (they'll be mad, they'll spend, they'll win)
NL Central Pirates (c'mon! it's gotta be their year... but it'll be the Brew Crew)
NL West Dodgers (they won't win a playoff game AGAIN, but the division'll go their way)
NL Wild Card Cardinals (sure, why not, who cares?)

AL East Red Sox (I hate to say it, but it's there's until they lose it)
AL Central Tigers (good mix of talent, might just come through)
AL West Angels (they have been right there for a while, so they'll stay there)
AL Wild Card Toronto (they started to gel at the end last year)

World Series (Pirates [c'mon! it's gotta be their year... but it'll be the Cardinals] vs. Angels) goes to Anaheim/California But-Not-Los-Angeles Angels.

Kidhuman
01-19-2008, 11:50 AM
Al East - Yankees, with a healthy pitcing staff and a rotation of Joba, Hughes, Wang, Petitte and Moose and a replenished BP along with a manager wo can work a pitching staff, they will take it. They will also acquire Santana at the trade deadline.

AL Central - Indians
AL West - Angels
AL Wildcard - Tigers

NL East - Phillies
NL Central - Brewers
NL West - D-backs
NL Wildcard -Mets

Yankees/Dbacks World Series with the Yankees in 6.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Cappy's sig line "Is it Opening Day yet?" has sadly come true.. sort of. That was weird. :scratchestemple:

jjreason
03-26-2008, 03:26 PM
Weird for sure - they've both got 5 pre-season games left!

Sounds like it was 2 good games though, hopefully that'll be a sign of things to come for the season.

jedi master sal
03-26-2008, 03:38 PM
I'm just not into Baseball anymore. I went to one game last year. That was the first time in at least 10 years since I've gone to a live game. Even then it was only because my fiancee won the tix to go, otherwise we wouldn't have gone. (On a side note, it was her first baseball game, so there was that at least.)

Being from and living in Pittsburgh, I've got no hope for the Pirates. They are a pitiful shade of what they once were. They haven't been remotely good since the early 90s. And I don't see that changing this year either.

I think a good lot of the players are over paid, or cheaters (ie steroids, but it could be other things as well), etc.

Unless we win free tix this year, I don't see us going to any games. The Pirates would have to be a really good team before I'd consider paying to see them. They are the one team out of the three professional teams we have (Steelers and Penguins being the other two) that I wouldn't care if they left the city of not.

We've got one of the nicest ballparks in all of baseball with PNC Park, but it goes to waste each year being filled up by a carp team like the Pirates.

Just my two cents.

CaptainSolo1138
03-27-2008, 12:16 AM
David Eckstein will remain an over-valued, short, albino, middle-of-the-road white dude. And he will be referred to as a "gritty hustler" because he runs down the first base path.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm just not into Baseball anymore. I went to one game last year. That was the first time in at least 10 years since I've gone to a live game. Even then it was only because my fiancee won the tix to go, otherwise we wouldn't have gone. (On a side note, it was her first baseball game, so there was that at least.)

Being from and living in Pittsburgh, I've got no hope for the Pirates. They are a pitiful shade of what they once were. They haven't been remotely good since the early 90s. And I don't see that changing this year either.

The Pirates would have to be a really good team before I'd consider paying to see them. They are the one team out of the three professional teams we have (Steelers and Penguins being the other two) that I wouldn't care if they left the city of not.

We've got one of the nicest ballparks in all of baseball with PNC Park, but it goes to waste each year being filled up by a carp team like the Pirates.

Just my two cents.BTW, was that game the last home one before the All-Star break, Sal? Only reason I ask is that I was at that one, on a vacation back home to Ohio. They won! Amazing. PNC was awesome, too; best MLB park I've been to (although my stadiums are limited: Three Rivers, Jack Murphy/Qualcomm, Dodger Stadium, and Whatever We're Going to Call Angels Stadium This Year).

The Pirates can't leave Pittsburgh. What would I do sports-wise from June to August? I'd have to find something new to complain/weep about in the summertime. :p

jedi master sal
03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
BTW, was that game the last home one before the All-Star break, Sal? Only reason I ask is that I was at that one, on a vacation back home to Ohio. They won! Amazing. PNC was awesome, too; best MLB park I've been to (although my stadiums are limited: Three Rivers, Jack Murphy/Qualcomm, Dodger Stadium, and Whatever We're Going to Call Angels Stadium This Year).

The Pirates can't leave Pittsburgh. What would I do sports-wise from June to August? I'd have to find something new to complain/weep about in the summertime. :p

The game we went to was on Sept 11th last year. They had a huge honor guard that day. National Guard, Police, Fire, EMS, the Mayor. Lots of fanfare.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2008, 04:26 PM
That one would've been nice to see. My game was July 8 versus Los Osoitos. Saw Bay hit a homer and drive in about 3 runs.

jjreason
03-27-2008, 04:38 PM
Enough chatter. I'm going to have to call a Pirate hiatus until you guys apologize to me here in this thread for the Pirates pre-season victory against the Tigers 2 days ago.

Color me UNimpressed. :mad:

:p

CaptainSolo1138
03-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Enough chatter. I'm going to have to call a Pirate hiatus until you guys apologize to me here in this thread for the Pirates pre-season* victory against the Tigers 2 days ago.

Color me UNimpressed. :mad:

:p
*emphasis mine

I've got the Granderson jersey ready to go and have already let my professor know that I "won't be able to be in class" Monday afternoon.

Let's do it.

Kidhuman
03-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Freakin CG is on the DL. Damn him and the DL.

DarthQuack
03-28-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm still not really in baseball mode yet....still roped into college hoops, I will soon enough though. I hope Giambi has a good season though.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-29-2008, 10:29 AM
Freakin CG is on the DL. Damn him and the DL.Hey, lay off! What'd the DL ever do to you? [whisper, whisper] Oh, right. Ruin chances for World Series titles and fantasy stats. Carry on with your d@mning then! :pleased:

And as for a Pirates hiatus (NO, I shall not apologize for my team beating yours, preseason or not, as it is you who should feel shame for losing to us. HA! :p ), when else can any team guarantee it will be less than 5 games behind in the standings than before the season even starts? :(

Let's go Bucs! Let's go Bucs! :Pirate: (cue Keith Richards' guitar opening chords)

Jedi_Kal-El
03-29-2008, 11:13 AM
Here's to hoping that that White Sox have a great season. :thumbsup:
(Even though it isn't going to happen)

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Here's to hoping that that White Sox have a great season. :thumbsup:
(Even though it isn't going to happen)Even if the ChiSox did have a good year, they're gonna have a hell of a time sneaking past Detroit and Cleveland.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-29-2008, 06:25 PM
Even if the ChiSox did have a good year, they're gonna have a hell of a time sneaking past Detroit and Cleveland.

Well, Cappy. Cleveland anyway.:p

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Well, Cappy. Cleveland anyway.:pI'm not going to argue. The Tigers, while I have no doubts in them, have everything to lose. They've been touted for six months now as "THE team to beat", but I still think they're starting pitching is shakey and that they've got major issues in the bullpen.

Kidhuman
03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
And can Sheff stay healthy? Will the broken finger hinder Granderson all year at the plate? Can D-Train regain his NL form of 2 years ago? Alot of questions coming from Tigers camp.

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2008, 08:40 PM
And can Sheff stay healthy?I don't think Sheff's shoulder is a big a deal as...

Will the broken finger hinder Granderson all year at the plate?He's never been injured before, so it'll be interesting to see how he handles it. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't on his throwing hand. That's what worries me most.

Can D-Train regain his NL form of 2 years ago? Alot of questions coming from Tigers camp.While I think he's a great addition to the rotation, I've always thought Willis' stats his first two years were kind of flukey. I'll be happy if he can eek 12-14 wins out, especially pitching to DH's for the first time outside of scant interleague appearances.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Don't freak Cappy. I was messin with ya for the most part.:p

While I'd like to see the Chisox have a great year, I don't see it happening. They could surprise me, but this years team isn't much different from last years, and Kenny Williams ability to put together another great team has come into question the past couple of years.

That team from '05 is long gone, but at least I'm secure in the knowledge that they got at least one championship in my lifetime. Not too many Cubbies fans can say that(in fact, none of them can).:whip:

CaptainSolo1138
03-29-2008, 11:21 PM
The ChiSox will not be good until the ditch Ozzie "small ball" Guillen.

Jedi_Kal-El
03-30-2008, 11:15 AM
The ChiSox will not be good until the ditch Ozzie "small ball" Guillen.

I see Williams as more of the problem than Guillen. You have to put a decent team together. Trust me though, one championship isn't going to cement Ozzie's place if he can't at least get a few more winning seasons out of them.

jjreason
03-30-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm not going to argue. The Tigers, while I have no doubts in them, have everything to lose. They've been touted for six months now as "THE team to beat", but I still think they're starting pitching is shakey and that they've got major issues in the bullpen.

Cappy - come on! The starting pitching, though possibly "shaky" with respect to shutouts or 1-run outings is likely the best in all of baseball. As a matter of fact, I feel that there is very little pressure on ANY of them, because they all know there's another ace set to go the very next day!!!!

VERLANDER + KENNY + D-TRAIN + BONDO + NATE = BY FAR the best in the bigs. Period. :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
03-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Cappy - come on! The starting pitching, though possibly "shaky" with respect to shutouts or 1-run outings is likely the best in all of baseball.I agree they are amongst the best, if not THE best. But...

VERLANDERAces. No worries.

KENNYAge/injuries worry me a bit. If he doesn't allow these to be a factor, he's aces as well.

D-TRAINWhich Dontrelle did we get: 20+ winner or .500 pitcher?

BONDOAgain, which Bonderman will we get this year: The guy who blew the doors off in the first half last year or the guy who went 1-9 in the second half?

NATEI've got a soft spot for Nate the Great, so I'll leave Gum Time alone. Let's just say he's a solid #4 guy.

Again, I totally see Detroit taking the division with only minor worries (i.e. Cleveland, who is strong as well). I know we'll have October baseball in Michigan, I just don't like how cocky the idiots professional analyists at ESPN are about them.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-30-2008, 08:13 PM
So, according to this thread, there are only two divisions in baseball, the Central, in its American and National League versions. :thumbsup:

Welcome to another Opening Day tonight in Washington, then another one tomorrow in various cities. :confused:

CaptainSolo1138
03-30-2008, 10:12 PM
So, according to this thread, there are only two divisions in baseball, the Central, in its American and National League versions. :thumbsup:Lets find out for sure. (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?p=611002#post611002)

JimJamBonds
04-02-2008, 09:37 PM
New York Mets + Pedro = HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CaptainSolo1138
04-02-2008, 10:26 PM
The Tigers are 0-2. They have lost 1/82 of their games. There is still 160 games to played over the next five months. They have the potential to go 160-2.

The sports guy on the local news tonight said it may be time to hit the panic button.

Seriously?!?! Anyone who honestly thinks that is a moron of the highest order. I wonder if Mr. Sportscaster thinks the Nats, who are off to a HUGE(!!!) 2-0 start, are a shoe-in for the Pennant? Mayhaps I'll shoot him an email. :rolleyes:

I had someone say to me yesterday (the day after the Tigers lost their opening game in extra-innings), "See. I knew they weren't gonna be worth a sh*t". And he said it like I was Dave Dombrowski or something; that I personally screwed the pooch in the off-season or something.

That's what is really getting me down lately. There are so many people on ye olde bandwagon that, unless they win EVERY game, there is a black cloud looming over everything. Its like they feel the organization owes them the $30 for the fresh, crispy Tigers hat on their head for having the audacity to lose a game now that they are a fan.

Kidhuman
04-02-2008, 10:45 PM
I hate people like that. The Yankees are 1-1, I am not throwing in the towel. Thats why they play162, if they played one, we would have a hell of a playoff system.

Maradona
04-03-2008, 12:02 AM
I love that the Dodgers start year 50 in LA by winning 5-0 on day one. I won't be truly excited until we win a playoff series for the first time in since I was in 10th grade...waaaaay back in 1988. But at least this is a fitting start.

TeeEye7
04-03-2008, 07:21 AM
I love that the Dodgers start year 50 in LA by winning 5-0 on day one. I won't be truly excited until we win a playoff series for the first time in since I was in 10th grade...waaaaay back in 1988. But at least this is a fitting start.

Not to worry! Joe will take us there! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
04-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Joe will burn your bullpen in three weeks.

CaptainSolo1138
04-03-2008, 07:40 AM
And Joe Morgan will devour your mother, all the while telling you why Moneyball sucked (even though he thinks Billy Beane wrote it).

DarthQuack
04-04-2008, 10:59 AM
Nice first series of pitching between the Yanks and Jays, now 17 more games in a row with no days off, starting with the new rivalry with the Rays. :laugh:

Bel-Cam Jos
04-04-2008, 07:58 PM
I love that the Dodgers start year 50 in LA by winning 5-0 on day one. I won't be truly excited until we win a playoff series for the first time in since I was in 10th grade...waaaaay back in 1988. But at least this is a fitting start.I thought about looking into attending home game #50 this year (which seems to be 7/12 vs. the Marlins) to see if they'd do something special.

Too early to brag about the Pirates being in first place...

... I'll brag tomorrow. :D

JimJamBonds
04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Cappy, Slick, RB and all other Tigers fans......... just remember the 2009 MLB season is less then a year away.

CaptainSolo1138
04-09-2008, 10:24 PM
Cappy, Slick, RB and all other Tigers fans......... just remember the 2009 MLB season is less then a year away.
You forgot jj.

It looks like they're going to pull out their first win tonight, thanks to their 7, 8, and 9 hitters no less.

jjreason
04-09-2008, 10:28 PM
Inge is the Tiger of the Year (TOY?) so far.

I watched them lose to the BoSox last night as it was on TV and the announcer was VERY polite. To paraphrase, he said the Tigers must be feeling a little confused, and that as soon as they sorted things out there would be a GREAT many teams on the receiving end of some BAD beatings at the hands of the Tigers this year.

I'm still hoping that's the case - 7 games is NOT a lot in the long run, it just seems like a lot when you're not supposed to be losing them.

CaptainSolo1138
04-10-2008, 07:20 AM
I'm still hoping that's the case - 7 games is NOT a lot in the long run, it just seems like a lot when you're not supposed to be losing them.
You're exactly right. Now, there is a chance that at the end of the year they're really going to want these 7 games back when they're in the playoff hunt or defending the lead, but to write the Tigers off for losing seven games, like many a sports writer are doing, is unprofessional.

Kidhuman
04-10-2008, 07:37 AM
Are the freakin Royals for real?Sweeping the Tigers, taking 2 of the three(so far, possible sweep) of the Yankees?

The AL East is upside down right now. WTF is going on?

TeeEye7
04-10-2008, 08:12 AM
The year is still young, KH!

JimJamBonds
04-10-2008, 07:58 PM
You forgot jj.

It looks like they're going to pull out their first win tonight, thanks to their 7, 8, and 9 hitters no less.

Yeah because 1-7 is soooooooo much better then 0-8 (or whatever it is at this time. :p )

CaptainSolo1138
04-10-2008, 09:13 PM
Yeah because 1-7 is soooooooo much better then 0-8 (or whatever it is at this time. :p )
Well, it kind of is. I think it became bigger than it really was and getting the first one out of the way is/was necessary. Granted, they're currently down 4-2 to Boston right now, but I think that now that they got that first win out of the way they can start worrying about real issues.

JimJamBonds
04-10-2008, 10:06 PM
True, I don't think they are out of it already. There is waaaaaaay too much baseball still to be played for that to be the case.

CaptainSolo1138
04-10-2008, 10:52 PM
Argh.

Relief pitching is really becoming THE issue for Detroit. Granted, Robertson wasn't great tonight, but the bullpen really sh*t the bed.

The bats are starting to come alive at least. Six runs will win you a lot of games, but not when the bullpen gives up eight.

Kidhuman
04-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Argh.

Relief pitching is really becoming THE issue for Detroit. Granted, Robertson wasn't great tonight, but the bullpen really sh*t the bed.

The bats are starting to come alive at least. Six runs will win you a lot of games, but not when the bullpen gives up eight.

As sporadic as Rodeny is, he is missed in the Detroit pen. Zumaya is a huge loss.

CaptainSolo1138
04-10-2008, 11:16 PM
As sporadic as Rodeny is, he is missed in the Detroit pen. Zumaya is a huge loss.You nailed it. They're both sporadic in that they'll give up six runs one night and then shut the opposition down for the next week. What's happening now is that rather than getting all six runs out of the way at once, the Tigers are giving up two or three every night (until tonight). They *could* have won tonight's game 6-4, but the bullpen gave up eight runs in the last two innings and they lost 12-6.

I'm not making up excuses for their losing. They're being out-gunned in pretty much every category this year, and there's no excuse for that. It is kind of depressing, though, to be down only two and see Jawnathon "Rowdy Roddy Piper" Paapelbawn (http://graphics.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2007/10/30/1193771565_8614.jpg) come strolling in because you can pretty much bet its lights out.

DarthQuack
04-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Chien Meng Wang with a great outing tonight for the Yanks...2 hitter, just one home run that Abreu could have/should have caught and a crap bunt single in the 9th.

Bel-Cam Jos
04-12-2008, 10:48 AM
I should've bragged about the Buccos while I could have. Still, they won a home game (that's big this year so far), and a 1-0 victory helps the team ERA. On pace to NOT lose 100! :thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-04-2008, 10:11 PM
Not the major leagues, but the California League South division has every team below .500, but the last place team is only 4 games back. And the Pittsburgh Pirates are 27-30, one of the best last place teams in MLB. :D

DarthQuack
06-05-2008, 06:58 AM
Cubbies are still playing great ball, they lost to Maddux last night, but had a 9 game winning streak and are 15-17 games over .500.

bobafrett
06-05-2008, 07:45 AM
Yes, I've stayed up late watching the Cubs games this series, Ted Lilly pitched pretty good last night, it's unfortunate that the loss gets hung on him. It's been nice watching the Cubs be a little more patient at the plate and manufacturing runs. My fiance is taking me and the kids to a Cubs game September 3rd, vs. the Astros.

I think the next two games are also late 9 pm central time starts against the Dodgers, who the Cubs swept at home last time around.

jjreason
06-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Anyone else think 18 interleague games is a little ridiculous? :rolleyes:

I was shocked to see how many games against NL teams they have booked this year. Has it always been that way? That's more than 10% of the season! :eek:

Personally, I think one interleague game is too many - they should MAYBE have one "grudge match" exhibition game right before the season against a geographical opponent if anything. To me it takes some of the tension out of the World Series - as does the stupid All-Star game determining who has home field advantage.

Back to basics, people.

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2008, 09:34 AM
Right on. The Tigers have no need to play the Dodgers unless there is a trophy being presented at the end of the series. Even as far as a grudge match is concerned, the only real team I could see fitting that bill in Detroit would be the Brewers or maybe the Cubs, but there is no real history there.

Cubs/ChiSox? Yes.

Mets/Yanks? Yes.

Angels/Dodgers? Probably.

Marlins/Rays? Meh. Why not?

Nationals/Mariners? Ridiculous.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-14-2008, 10:32 AM
I kind of like the World Series rematches (currently, Baltimore and Pittsburgh are playing... so close to being at .500, after blowing a 5-run lead to the Os :mad: ) and the odd pairings (how do Arizona or Colorado fit in with any AL teams?) aren't so bad for me. One of these years, I'll go back to finally see Jacobs Field (before it becomes Brian Bluminheimer's Baseball Blog Stadium) for a Pirates/Indians tussle.

TeeEye7
06-14-2008, 11:36 AM
Angels/Dodgers? Probably.

Not probably.....absolutely! The Freeway Series is a SoCal institution! Been around forever and needs to stay that way! :thumbsup:

CaptainSolo1138
06-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Not probably.....absolutely! The Freeway Series is a SoCal institution! Been around forever and needs to stay that way! :thumbsup:I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the heads-up. Its series like that that are OK for me in terms of interleague play.

Kidhuman
06-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Interleague is alright. I am growing tired of it. Maybe 2-3 series a year for each team, but not 3 weeks. And they spread it out too this year badly. Beginning of May and now Middle of June

TeeEye7
06-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I wasn't aware of that, so thanks for the heads-up. Its series like that that are OK for me in terms of interleague play.

Actually, this originated as a pre-season tradition way back when, but has now rolled into interleague. Regardless, it's a good time for an American League/National League; LA/Orange County rivalry. Much like the Yankees/Mets rivalry, I would imagine.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-15-2008, 10:21 AM
And who'd know that the Angels were the original MLB team to start out in CA (Giants and Dodgers were NY transplants and A's came from Philly/KC, Padres came later)? I miss the California Angels (that's the name I usually use for them).

TeeEye7
06-15-2008, 02:58 PM
I miss the California Angels (that's the name I usually use for them).

Ditto. What are they teaching marketing majors today, anyway? :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
06-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Marketing means "what people know," so Anaheim must be LA. California still has too many connotations to unkempt, grizzled, bearded miners, apparently.

Pittsburgh must not like interleague play: their victory (in extra innings, BTW) yesterday was their first of the season. They're now 3rd-worst in MLB in IL record (1-2).

And, the Los Angeles Angels (which was the original name because they actually played in that city [the LA Memorial Coliseum, IIRC]) might've been the first pro sports team to begin in CA... the Oakland Raiders or SD Chargers (of which both also were listed as "LA" at some point) might have beaten them. Maybe the football franchise from San Francisco?

So, who should be (not will be) voted in as the starters for the '08 World Series Scheduler, ur, All-Star Game?

jjreason
06-29-2008, 10:45 AM
Man, I would have never guessed it would take the Tigers 80 games to get back to .500 after that abysmal start..... but they made it. I'm eyeing up their 4 game series with the Twins that's on the horizon (right before the All-Star break) as a HUGE "make it or break it" point. The way both teams are going, it should be pretty hotly contested.

TWINKIES:whip:

DarthQuack
06-29-2008, 12:14 PM
Yankees are starting to play a little better, if you told me Mike Mussina would have 10 wins all year, let alone by the All-Star break I'd have said you're crazy. Looking forward to the game being played in the Bronx this year, and it should be a treat to see the Home Run Derby as well, hopefully Giambi or A-Rod will be participating...

CaptainSolo1138
06-29-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm eyeing up their 4 game series with the Twins that's on the horizon (right before the All-Star break) as a HUGE "make it or break it" point.You're absolutely right. With the Royals settling into their usual place, the Indians looking like they'll be fighting the rest of the way with the Royals for the cellar and the Sox barely holding onto their teeny tiny lead, this series with the Twins is going to set the tone for the second half, as it could very well reshape the Central going into the Break. El Tigres have picked a helluva a time to go on a hot streak!

CaptainSolo1138
07-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Eat it, Grimmy.

Does anyone else find Rays fans extremely laughable? "Their" team gets into first and suddenly Tropicana Field is sold out for long stretches? That's odd.

Also, call it a hunch, but I'm willing to bet that if you combine jj and I's Tigers hats and KH's Yankees cap, we've got more wear on them than all Rays clothing/accessories being worn in Florida right now.:D

Bel-Cam Jos
07-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Does anyone else find Rays fans extremely laughable? "Their" team gets into first and suddenly Tropicana Field is sold out for long stretches? That's odd.Actually, I find that absolutely appropriate. This franchise has been the poster child for contraction almost since they've fielded (pun always intended) a regular-season team. As a supporter of a team that has almost all of its teenage fans unaware of what the words "playoffs" or "winning record" mean :Pirate: , you've got to cheer at any point when they do well. That's not bandwagon-ing; that's deperation! :lipsrsealed:

Here's to a year when the Central champs are the KC Royals and Pirates, the West are the Padres and Rangers, East are the Rays and Nats, with the Wild Cards as Brewers and Jays! Maybe. :pleased:

Kidhuman
07-03-2008, 08:24 PM
Also, call it a hunch, but I'm willing to bet that if you combine jj and I's Tigers hats and KH's Yankees cap, we've got more wear on them than all Rays clothing/accessories being worn in Florida right now.:D

YEah I wouldnt bet against that statement.

JetsAndHeels
07-03-2008, 08:27 PM
I'm just glad the Mets are doing well.

jjreason
07-06-2008, 09:18 PM
Can anyone offer me any explanation as to why the Indians would deal CC Sabathia? The only thing I can possibly come up with is not being able to pay him next year... but that's awfully thin.

I just don't get it. :confused:

jjreason
07-06-2008, 09:21 PM
Eat it, Grimmy.

Does anyone else find Rays fans extremely laughable? "Their" team gets into first and suddenly Tropicana Field is sold out for long stretches? That's odd.

My hat is getting gross. I bought a new one during the ALCS in 2006 hoping it would give them luck - it did, but not quite enough. I think my next one is going to be one of those lighter batting practice jobbies with the white side panels - the wool is wicked hot in the summer.

Did anyone see highlights from the Yanks/BoSox game on the 4th? They were wearing lighter blue caps with the logos done up in Stars & Stripes - very, very nice. Did the Tigers do the same by chance?

EDITED: apparently all the teams were wearing similar ones. Here are pics of the Yanks & Tigers versions:

jjreason
07-06-2008, 09:29 PM
Please remove - this post was a duplicate.

Kidhuman
07-06-2008, 10:05 PM
Can anyone offer me any explanation as to why the Indians would deal CC Sabathia? The only thing I can possibly come up with is not being able to pay him next year... but that's awfully thin.

I just don't get it. :confused:

Thats the reason, JJ

CaptainSolo1138
07-07-2008, 09:01 AM
As far as the hats go, don't be fooled. First off, I find it almost laughable that the Cleveland INDIANS have a red, white and blue version of their logo. Slap in the face much? Secondly, $2 from the purchase of every hat is being donated by MLB to the "Welcome Back Veterans" fund. Sure, that sounds great and all until you price these hats against regular MLB hats and see that they cost $2 more. Way to really step up and donate, baseball. Rather than buy one, I would recommend sending the entire $32 to the "Welcome Back Veterans" foundation. [/rant]

Do I even begin to talk about the ridiculous All "Star" game rosters? I can't figure out why 10/32 of the AL players come from Boston and New York and why 7/32 NL players come from the Cubs. I mean, it can't have anything to do with ESPN constantly shoving them down our throats, can it? Its not like ESPN is showing its third Red Sox game in five nights tonight (yes, they are). Its kind of a joke.

And your starting AL SS? Derek "true Yankee, Captain Clutch, Mr. November, aura of a winner" Jeter, a man who admits to having the worst year of his career thus far. Let's play a game. Its called "Which set of stats belongs to a starter on the All Star team!"

H/AB/ R/ 3B/ HR/ RBI / SB/ TB/ AVG
76/299/ 38/ 1/ 5/ 32/ 2/ 98/ .254
92/327/ 48/ 3/ 4/ 37/ 5/ 126/ .281
104/356/ 58/ 1/ 7/ 46/ 5/ 150/ .292

Did you figure it out yet?

The first set is Edgar Renteria, a guy who has no right to even have a sniff of a nomination. The second is Jeter, who's stats are very similar to Renteria's yet somehow he's starting over the guy who owns the third line, Texas' Michael Young.

Yeah, the All Star voting system is a flawless machine.:rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
07-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Do I even begin to talk about the ridiculous All "Star" game rosters?

Yeah, the All Star voting system is a flawless machine.:rolleyes:Well, the voting aspect is always going to be flawed, because fans don't vote on statistical analysis, team records, and value to team performance. Voting is based on popularity. Simple as that.

I can live with any of the choices (but yeah, there are quite a few reserves on a couple of teams... but consider that the Rockies and Red Sox could have more representatives due to their World Series appearance getting their managers the job) except Jason Veritek. Value to team; maybe, but based on performance this half year, put in perennial-pick Pudge Rodriguez, or Angel Mike Napoli, or that other Sox AJ Pirenwuhjyzentianaisky. All are on .500+ teams (two division leaders even, while Boston's in 2nd).

Why is McLouth the lone Pirates rep? (not that I expected multiple players, just the choice) Not Nady? Or Bay? Arr. :Pirate: :(

DarthQuack
07-07-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm not gonna get into the whole thing about the all-star squads, just don't let the fans vote and give it to the coaches. They'll make sure every team has a representative, it's BS that the Rays don't have anyone starting. My only small gripe was that Mike Mussina didn't get selected to pitch. He's having a great season and an 11 game winner....but whatever, hope he gets 20 wins instead.

jjreason
07-07-2008, 09:02 PM
I hate All-Star games in general, but the fan voting concept is extra super stupid and needs to be nipped in the bud. If they need to do it have the managers pick the whole roster and then allow 24hrs worth of voting to name the starters from the chosen squad.

Kidhuman
07-07-2008, 09:27 PM
I'm not gonna get into the whole thing about the all-star squads, just don't let the fans vote and give it to the coaches. They'll make sure every team has a representative, it's BS that the Rays don't have anyone starting. My only small gripe was that Mike Mussina didn't get selected to pitch. He's having a great season and an 11 game winner....but whatever, hope he gets 20 wins instead.

Not to mention tat Moose is tied for the AL League lead in wins. How the ell do you leave anyone who is leading in wins off the roster?

Varitek was picked by the players, they need their votes removed.

Jeter is Mr. Yankee Cappy. Remember where the game is being played and its the last AS game there since it is closing down.

JimJamBonds
07-07-2008, 11:24 PM
Did anyone see highlights from the Yanks/BoSox game on the 4th? They were wearing lighter blue caps with the logos done up in Stars & Stripes - very, very nice. Did the Tigers do the same by chance?

EDITED: apparently all the teams were wearing similar ones.

The Brewers and Pirates wore the red, white and blue hats on Sunday as well. On Saturday they wore Negro league throwbacks.

CaptainSolo1138
07-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Jeter is Mr. Yankee Cappy. Remember where the game is being played and its the last AS game there since it is closing down.
I'm well aware of where its being played. That doesn't make Jeter the best SS in the AL though. They didn't vote in Rich Aurilia last year to start as the NL SS just because the game was played in San Francisco.

There really is nothing to argue about. I did my fair share of voting, but I guess everyone else did more. I'm just getting kind of sick of the same thing year in and year out. At least this year I can have the Cubs spoon fed to me as well!:rolleyes:

Kidhuman
07-09-2008, 06:35 AM
Especially now that the Cubies got Harden

jjreason
07-09-2008, 04:46 PM
I'm planning on not watching the AS game or festivities this year. I can do without baseball for a three day stretch without concern.

CaptainSolo1138
07-09-2008, 04:54 PM
I'll watch the homerun derby if only because there isn't a Tigers game on. I'll occasionally check the score in the proper game, but I'm not gonna make it a point to see it.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2008, 06:05 PM
I'll have to check out the top of the seventh inning when Nate McLouth pinch hits for some already-replaced outfielder. :thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
07-09-2008, 06:39 PM

<nobody noticed it the first time, or they did and decided to ignore me>

Bel-Cam Jos
07-09-2008, 06:48 PM

<nobody noticed it the first time, or they did and decided to ignore me>Prolly more of the latter than the former... :rolleyes: See, I can't honestly insert the name "Pirates" into your statement. :cry:

Kidhuman
07-09-2008, 07:11 PM
The HR Derby should be interesting with a short right field porch and lefties stacking the line up. I plan on watching and recording it.

CaptainSolo1138
07-15-2008, 08:22 AM
Holy Josh Hamilton.

I was bitter when Morneau won in the final round due to the fact that he plays for the Tiger killers Twins and that he looks like the dick that would cut you off in traffic and then give you the finger for having the nerve to honk at him.

Either way, it was hard not to smile every time Hamilton ripped one to right center and the crowd went nuts. You're doing something right if you can get Yankee stadium to come to their feet and chant your name. Good on ya.

Kidhuman
07-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I hope JJ watched anyway even though he said he wouldnt. I was amazed at Hamilton. He was a machine. I hated the fact that Morneau won. Josh won someting bigger last night though, the respect of alot of baseball fans.

I had seen only a few balls ever hit that far in the satdium(granted it was BP speed pitches) but I was impressed none the less at the consistency of him hitting them.

jjreason
07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Saw the highlights this am - the kid was going ape****, no doubts there.

I'm not a fan of the derby - to me it seems like the fans get sick of seeing the guys hit baseballs 500 feet by the end, and that should never happen. Maybe they need to reduce it to 4 hitters or something..... but it needs to shorten up.

Kidhuman
07-15-2008, 10:34 PM
They were not bored with Hamilton JJ. They were cheering his a55 like crazy and calling his name out. They wanted more from him

CaptainSolo1138
07-16-2008, 08:40 AM
I've never been more unimpressed with an All Star game in any sport in my life. First, Dan Uggla's errors were inexcusable but he should not have been berated by the "professionals" announcing the game. He's Dan fu*king Uggla.

Second, enough. We get it. This is the last ASG in Yankee stadium. Cool. Let it go now. Please.

Finally, if the manager plans to not use a pitcher (i.e. Kazmir) because he pitched the Sunday before the game, then the pitcher (i.e. Kazmir) is a healthy scratch and stays home. I understand that pitchers are over-protected nowadays and that this is basically an exhibition and wasting their arm is probably not the best idea. Fine. I understand that. Then he stays home (i.e. Tampa Bay) and watches the game so that his manager (i.e. Terry Francona) can't be criticized for daring to use a pitcher sitting at his disposal in the bullpen in extra innings. Joke. In short, I'll quote Guitar Hero II: "If the drummer is too tired for an encore, then the drummer is too tired for the after-party!"

And of course the boring terd goes to extras. Perfect. Furthering the surprise was the shocking American league win.

I used to get so excited for the ASG when I was a kid and I still try to do it now but it gets tougher each year.

Kidhuman
07-16-2008, 09:03 AM
I mean it was a good game overall, but the situation that almost happened would have been ridiculous. I agree Cappy, if you cat pitch or only want to be used for 7 pitches in the 35th inning, stay the f**k home and let someone else pitch. Alot of people were snubbed and could have played. And if the umps got the call(s) right in the 11th, we wouldnt have gotten that far with the pitchers

CaptainSolo1138
07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I read an interesting article this morning that made propositions to make the game more exciting such as for every extra inning played, one player can be re-used. As much as I love Carlos Guillen, no one tuned in to see him play more than twice as much as A-Rod. I understand the managers are between a rock and a hard place vis a vis the "play them now vs. save them in case it goes to extra innings and run the risk of them not getting in" issue, so this would be an acceptable remedy.

And if the umps got the call(s) right in the 11th, we wouldnt have gotten that far with the pitchersI think they made up for this by calling Morneau safe in the 15th.

By far the most entertaining part of the All Star festivities was Chase Utley's greeting during the HR Derby and his reaction. "Boo?! F*ck you!"

Bel-Cam Jos
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I watched it all (not as much of an issue as a PST zoner), and I thought that McLouth's long drive (caught on the warning track :( ) could've won it in the 14th. Oh well.

The game itself wasn't that great, but it did give me something to do for 5 hours of my life... :rolleyes: I didn't want any players to get injured, but part of me wanted it to keep going as long as it could.

jjreason
07-16-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm proud to say that I didn't tune in even for an instant. :)

Banthaholic
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
I also watched the whole thing. Dan Uggla and his erros were horrid, last time that guy should make an All Star team. Embarassing. I also agree. If a picture doesn't want to be used, then declien the invite and let some one else go. There are plenty that would have loved it.

For an idea for future use. Why not allow the managers from each team be allowed to bring one of their own starters not chosen, who can only be used for similar extra inning situations. that way the manager guilt is gone, as it's their own guy and being a started might be able to go for a duration in extra inning situations. Make the stipulation they can only go in after inning 10 and every other picture must have been used. Call it an extra inning reserve player. If they don't get used, so be it they get a free trip.

I found it fitting that Steinbrenner got to come out for the 1st pitch and all of the other Yankee brass in attendance who will soon be destructing a living monument for more luxuary bo revenue or whatever. Goes to show money's more important that history.

jjreason
07-17-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm going to Wrigley Field for the first (and likely only) time in my life on August 5th. The game is a 1:20 pm jobbie against the Astros. I printed the ticket off at home and felt tears starting to well up in my eyes - I've wanted to see a game at Wrigley for as long as I can remember.

My brother lives in Minnesota and we're making our first pilgrimage to visit him in that glorious state so I figured it was now or possibly never.

The only downfall is that we're going to be checked out of the hotel, and my wife and kids will have to find something to do for at least a couple of hours near the park so that I can take it all in (well, 4 or 5 innings at least).

Bobafrett (or any of the other Chicagoans here), could you please make some recommendations about parking near the stadium? What's it like walking around outside the park in the afternoon? I've heard it's not in a bad part of town and am hoping that's the case for my wife's sake!!!! Any recommendable touristy things to do for moms with kids nearby??? Any helpin' would be hot.

Bel-Cam Jos
07-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Yay. Pittsburgh wins 4 in a row (perhaps the longest streak this year for them?), then trades the league's 5th-leading hitter and their lefty closer to the Yanks for... (hold on)... prospects! And then they lose two in a row to the holders of worst record in MLB (and I thought Padres were helpful, patient, religious... unless you ask the Native Americans)? Their name is the Pirates, meaning plunderers, thieves, takers; not Prospectors, looking for things stuck underground, hidden, maybe valuable or maybe just rocks or dust. I don't like the "trading deadline" these days/years, since it should be renamed "Let's chew the Pirates down to the pits." :(

Arr... :Pirate:

jjreason
07-27-2008, 11:27 AM
Poor Pirates indeed, but the Yankees have always been the real plunderers of MLB, seeking out every available bit of help when the pennant chases begin. Maybe they should trade team names.

In AL Central news the Tigers just can't seem to buy a win against the teams they're chasing. It's truly, truly killing me. :cry:

DarthQuack
07-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Pudge Rodriguez to the Yankees.....for Kyle Farnsworth!!!! You Tigers can have him!!! :thumbsup:

Kidhuman
07-30-2008, 04:52 PM
NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!! Awesome

Slicker
07-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Yay Tigers! Always makin' those top notch trades.

jjreason
07-30-2008, 05:50 PM
This one I just don't get. I don't really know what more the Tigers want in a catcher, he's been great over the past 5 or 6 years. Really great. Farnsworth was a Tiger previously - back when we were losing 100+ games per year. I don't think he's changed very much... and we already have a pretty deep bullpen.

There were some rumors out of Florida last week that the Marlins were dangling for Pudge, but I didn't think they held any water - I couldn't understand why we'd be shopping him.

This one I just don't get.

EDITED: He was going to be a FA at the end of the year, maybe they'll throw in a bid to resign him next year. Posada will likely return, making Pudge expendable to the Yanks.

CaptainSolo1138
07-30-2008, 07:27 PM
EDITED: He was going to be a FA at the end of the year, maybe they'll throw in a bid to resign him next year. Posada will likely return, making Pudge expendable to the Yanks.
That was my immediate thought as well. Even if the Tigers don't bid on him (they told Inge today that he was "the Tigers future catcher"), he's simply a rental to replace Posada.

I've never been a huge Pudge fan, but its impossible to deny what he did for the franchise. He was the "hired gun" that brought about change in Detroit, both on the field and off, as his presence alone was enough of a draw for other FAs and such.

Here's to you, I-Rod. It seems nice now, but it shouldn't be more than a week until the NY media drives you nuts and accuses you of not "bleeding pinstripes".

jjreason
07-30-2008, 07:40 PM
It hurts losing one of the guys to the Yankees. :cry:

I hereby claim this the beginning of an 86-year curse which shall be known as the Curse of the Pudgebino. :mad:

Kidhuman
07-30-2008, 08:17 PM

The thing is the Yankees were looking at Posada to play first if they didnt get Texeria in the off season. It is still a possibility to sign Pudge for next year and move Jorge to first/DH

Bel-Cam Jos
07-31-2008, 07:25 PM
Glad to see that Pittsburgh can help out other teams, sending Jason Bay to Boston and basically balancing the trade between semi-contender Dodgers (the only Los Angeles team... Anaheim, you get your props in the actual city in which you play :thumbsup: ) with Man Ram and sick-of-'em Red Sox. I can't sigh this time; this is one more year of giving up by July. :mad:

CaptainSolo1138
07-31-2008, 07:30 PM
'Tis indeed a pity, BCJ, especially given the fact that the Pirates helped the Sawx both in personnel and getting rid of their headache. I'm sure we'll get to hear every detail in the morning on The A.L. East Spotlight Hour Sportscenter.

jjreason
07-31-2008, 09:07 PM
The thing is the Yankees were looking at Posada to play first if they didnt get Texeria in the off season. It is still a possibility to sign Pudge for next year and move Jorge to first/DH

Does that mean they're going to part ways with The 'Stache? I think the Tigers are settled on Ingey catching every day from here on in - I guess that's fine, but I know he'd rather be playing 3rd.

Did anyone know the Dodgers were in the Man Ram sweepstakes? I honestly hadn't heard a peep in that direction. All the Sox got what they wanted, or so it seems. It'll be weird rooting against Junior Griffey.

bobafrett
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
I was just happy to see the Cubs sweep the Brewers!!!!

CaptainSolo1138
08-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Did anyone know the Dodgers were in the Man Ram sweepstakes? I honestly hadn't heard a peep in that direction. All the Sox got what they wanted, or so it seems.I was very surprised as well. I thought it was all but official that he was being traded to the Marlins. Deadspin.com even ran an article titled "Manny May Be A Marlin In A Matter Of Minutes" (http://deadspin.com/5031467/manny-may-be-a-marlin-in-a-matter-of-minutes). Whatever. Now Joe Torre has him.

It'll be weird rooting against Junior Griffey.This move was even more surprising, since it seemed like the puzzle was all put together in Chicago yet they brought in another piece. So where do you put a guy like Griffey when you have an outfield of Quentin/Swisher/Dye and someone like Jim Thome sitting solidly in the DH slot? My prediction is that Paul Konerko is out of a job real soon and Swisher scoots into the infield or Thome plays first to open up the DH spot for li'l Griff (which is the least likely scenario, IMO).

Lastly, I want to congratulate Yanks fans on their classiness. Remember when you booed Pudge when he struck out in his first at bat in pinstripes? That was awesome.

TeeEye7
08-01-2008, 11:17 AM
I wonder if climbing into Dodger Blue will help Man Ram's defensive capabilities? :confused:

NOT!

Bel-Cam Jos
08-01-2008, 11:36 AM
I wonder if climbing into Dodger Blue will help Man Ram's defensive capabilities? :confused:

NOT!He's a left fielder, so just direct balls to the padded walls (there's an interesting detail, related to his "Manny" mindset) for obscure MLB rules.

'Tis indeed a pity, BCJ, especially given the fact that the Pirates helped the Sawx both in personnel and getting rid of their headache. I'm sure we'll get to hear every detail in the morning on The A.L. East Spotlight Hour Sportscenter.Wait; there are divisions in baseball? I thought it was just NY, BO, TB, BA, TO. :theresnosuchthingastheeastcoastbias: :p

Right now, I'm just hoping the Buccos can win 81+ games this season. That's it. Too much to ask? Let "next year" actually come after this one, please... :(

figrin bran
08-01-2008, 11:58 AM
Great, now I have to see all the Dodger fans trading in their Andruw Jones jerseys for Man Ram's.

I guess that's the trade off for not having to see Man Ram terrorize the Angels in the playoffs yet again this year.

Jedi_Kal-El
08-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Great, now I have to see all the Dodger fans trading in their Andruw Jones jerseys for Man Ram's.

I guess that's the trade off for not having to see Man Ram terrorize the Angels in the playoffs yet again this year.

See figrin, every cloud has its silver lining.

On my end, it was nice to see Jr produce last night for the ChiSox. I just hope he can play well the rest of the season.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-02-2008, 11:39 AM
The Pirates:
a) won a game
b) won a ROAD game
c) won against a winning opponent
d) won against the best NL record team
e) won in a shutout
f) won without giving up the lead
g) won with uh, a team with players, whose names are, um, on the backs of their jerseys?

Leading off, for your Pittsburgh Pirates, um, the player! Second, it's, hmm, an infielder? Clean-up hitter is... is, a guy with at least 6 home runs? Ooh, ooh! I know the pitcher's ninth, but who is it? Probably the shortstop eighth, or seventh. Root-root-root for the home team, peanuts and Cracker Jack... Jack! Jack Wilson plays! Baseball!

:cry:

TeeEye7
08-02-2008, 11:45 AM
That's a ton of "won's"! I'm hungry for won ton, now! :crazed:

jjreason
08-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Well there ain't a "ton of won" in Pittsburgh, so you'll have to look elsewhere. :D

Sadly, the damned Bronx is probably your best bet. :cry:

bobafrett
08-03-2008, 08:11 PM
The Pirates:
a) won a game
b) won a ROAD game
c) won against a winning opponent
d) won against the best NL record team
e) won in a shutout
f) won without giving up the lead
g) won with uh, a team with players, whose names are, um, on the backs of their jerseys?

Leading off, for your Pittsburgh Pirates, um, the player! Second, it's, hmm, an infielder? Clean-up hitter is... is, a guy with at least 6 home runs? Ooh, ooh! I know the pitcher's ninth, but who is it? Probably the shortstop eighth, or seventh. Root-root-root for the home team, peanuts and Cracker Jack... Jack! Jack Wilson plays! Baseball!

:cry:

Ah Yes, but the Cubs beat your pathetic band of swashbucklers today and yesterday, though it did get a little tense when the Pirates tied the game 5 all, but in the end, a win for the boys in blue.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-10-2008, 11:07 AM
In my annual post, the Pirates officially cannot win 100 games this year. I hope to not have to post that they cannot win 81. Arr... :Pirate:

jjreason
09-06-2008, 07:17 AM
No posts here for a LONG time... have all of our teams given up the ghost like the Tigers have? It takes an awful lot for me to lose interest in baseball, but this last month or so has pretty much done the trick. Our players have just been going through their (pathetic) motions ever since Pudgie was traded to the Yanks, and having to sit here and bear the burden of Tiger-fandom is an awful, emptying experience.

This roster, on this payroll, finishing 4th in the Division well under .500 will be more embarrassing by far than any of the 100+ loss seasons we endured over the past decade. And worst of all, I really don't know where to start to make it better. I'd suggest getting rid of Gary Sheffield and leaving everything else alone, but I'm afraid Kenny Rogers is going to retire forcing us to "need" Dontrelle Willis back. Yikes.

PLEASE let it end soon. :(:cry:

CaptainSolo1138
09-06-2008, 10:30 AM
No posts here for a LONG time... have all of our teams given up the ghost like the Tigers have? It takes an awful lot for me to lose interest in baseball, but this last month or so has pretty much done the trick. Our players have just been going through their (pathetic) motions ever since Pudgie was traded to the Yanks, and having to sit here and bear the burden of Tiger-fandom is an awful, emptying experience.

This roster, on this payroll, finishing 4th in the Division well under .500 will be more embarrassing by far than any of the 100+ loss seasons we endured over the past decade. And worst of all, I really don't know where to start to make it better. I'd suggest getting rid of Gary Sheffield and leaving everything else alone, but I'm afraid Kenny Rogers is going to retire forcing us to "need" Dontrelle Willis back. Yikes.

PLEASE let it end soon. :(:cry:Well said, jj, I still find myself watching these meaningless games, but the slightest thing pulls me away now. A show on Nat Geo about Area 51? Sold!

I have a feeling Sheff will still be a Tiger next year. His price tag is too steep compared to his production. Look at how miffed the Tigs are about him. Can you see a team willing to accept his failure?

After the debacle that was his last start, Kenny Rogers had this to say re: retirement (from the Detroit Free Press via blessyouboys.com):

"Trying to deal with that after a game like today is probably not the best way to decide those things," Rogers said. "Coming off the mound, though, it's hard not to think about it." Call it a hunch, but I think the Gambler is foldin' 'em. While he certainly has the career behind him to go out on top anyway, his absence is going to leave a gaping wound in an already lean starting 5.

Truth be told, I now find myself pulling for both the White Sox and the Twins. If they both continue to play as well as they have (though the over-achieving Sox were dealt a NASTY blow last night when Quentin went down with a busted wrist) and if Tampa Bay can NOT crap the bed in the home stretch, it is a distinct possibility that neither the Yankees or Red Sox will make the playoffs, which would offer some consolation for enduring this season with Los Tigres.

The NHL season starts September 28th.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-06-2008, 10:51 AM
No posts here for a LONG time... have all of our teams given up the ghost like the Tigers have? ... and having to sit here and bear the burden of Tiger-fandom is an awful, emptying experience.

Yikes.

PLEASE let it end soon. :(:cry:Well, the Buccos' 10-game slide (man, they even had a winning record at home for a time :cry: ) sure put a damper on things for me. I'm not begging for it to end soon, but they have to go 22-0 to avoid an MLB record-tying 16th straight losing season. Possible? :lipsrsealed: :thumbsup:

jjreason
09-06-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a feeling Sheff will still be a Tiger next year. His price tag is too steep compared to his production. Look at how miffed the Tigs are about him. Can you see a team willing to accept his failure?

The NHL season starts September 28th.

You're right about Kenny. Hearing him say that about coming off the mound gave me that same choked up feeling I had when I first heard Yoda mournfully say "Failed, I have." during my first viewing of ROTS. lol

I couldn't see US accepting him after all the bad press he'd had before coming to Detroit.... I'm just hoping there's a GM out there (besides Dombrowski) that actually sees the positives of having this guy's bat around.

bobafrett
09-06-2008, 01:45 PM
I went to the Cubs game only to watch them drop there 5th in a row, then yesterday by the time I tuned in, they were down 10-1, and ended up losing their 6th game in a row.

DarthQuack
09-07-2008, 07:56 AM
I went to the Cubs game only to watch them drop there 5th in a row, then yesterday by the time I tuned in, they were down 10-1, and ended up losing their 6th game in a row.

Soriano helped out last night with 3 dingers, bout time they got back in the win column!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Soriano helped out last night with 3 dingers, bout time they got back in the win column!

I was at that game in Cincinnati and it was flippin' fantastic. GABP really is Wrigley South as the Cubs fans outnumber the Reds fans to the point of hilarity. I saw several altercations between Reds and Cubs fans, especially after we gave Sori that standing ovation after he hit the 3 run HR. I heard several Reds fans say, "sit down! we can't see the game!" and things like that. We just ignored them and kept the cheering going; i even saw some grouchy Reds fans throw popcorn and food at the Cubs fans a few rows in front of them. It was also great to see crowds of folks singing "Go Cubs Go!" while we were walking to our cars. I heard one guy say, "I love coming to Cubs games here. It's like being at Wrigley."

And then we lose more games. The game last night proved insane though as Wood needs to relax, calm down and not give up homers. And did you see lil' Ted Lilly destroy Molina at the plate? http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809103452953&c_id=chc click on the video that says MOLINA WITHSTANDS, etc, etc. That made my jaw drop. And Lilly just keeps on walking. Bada--.

Hopefully this gets the Cubs fired up and lets them pick up more wins. Thanks to the Reds beating the Brewers and the Brewers playing even worse ball, we still have a 4 1/2 game lead in the NL central.

This is going to be a VERY stressful few weeks.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2008, 08:11 PM
Talk about symetry: Pirates go 0-6 in their last six games, capped off by a 6-0 loss to Houston. Glad that we can send that city some love, as it awaits a coming storm. No power in Pittsburgh, unless it's the wind generated by the whiffs at the plate. :(

jjreason
09-16-2008, 10:42 PM
And we're done for the year, formally after losing last night in fine fashion to the Texas Rangers. Far more humiliating than any of the Higginson years as far as I'm concerned. :ashamed:

CaptainSolo1138
09-16-2008, 10:46 PM
And we're done for the year, formally after losing last night in fine fashion to the Texas Rangers. Far more humiliating than any of the Higginson years as far as I'm concerned. :ashamed:Don't fret, friend o' friends. They're still mathematically in Wild Card contention!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
09-18-2008, 06:24 PM
Well, the Buccos can't lose 100 games (yay?) and might be able to avoid 90 losses (if they win out). But they do tie the record by losing 82+ games for the sixteenth straight year; ugh. :(

bobafrett
09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Cubs clinch the NL Central, bring on the playoffs!

Kidhuman
09-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Great last game at the Stadium. Wish I ould have been there. Didnt DQ get tickets for it? Lucky %^@#

CaptainSolo1138
09-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Great last game at the Stadium. Wish I ould have been there. Didnt DQ get tickets for it? Lucky %^@#
I've never made my absolute hatred of all things Yankees a secret, but it was pretty sad to see the ol' girl go. I was amazed that The Babe still has living children!

Also, the closing bit featuring Yogi Berra was aces.

bobafrett
09-22-2008, 10:52 PM
The Cubs clinched the best record in the N.L. this evening by beating the Mets! Home field advantage through the playoffs baby!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-22-2008, 11:01 PM
The Cubs clinched the best record in the N.L. this evening by beating the Mets! Home field advantage through the playoffs baby!

Hey Frett, did you enter the lottery to win the chance to buy tickets? My whole family did and my dad was selected.

So, tomorrow, he gets a password and a chance to buy tickets to one game. Pretty exciting stuff! :thumbsup:

bobafrett
09-23-2008, 08:15 PM
Hey Frett, did you enter the lottery to win the chance to buy tickets? My whole family did and my dad was selected.

So, tomorrow, he gets a password and a chance to buy tickets to one game. Pretty exciting stuff! :thumbsup:

I wish I could afford to attend at least one playoff game, but I can't. Besides I have other plans during the playoffs.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-26-2008, 08:08 PM
Going to see the :Pirate:s play down in San Diego tomorrow; my first game at Petco (I've seen the Friars play in Jack Murphy AND Qualcomm, however :rolleyes: ). With two last-place teams each sporting over 93 losses, there's gonna be fireworks! ... because there will be such a display in the sky after it ends. :pleased:

Closest I can get to playoff BB here would be seeing the Angels. Might not be a bad thing, especially if the Rays are in it to head the The Series! :history: :D

bobafrett
09-27-2008, 11:55 AM
I believe you'll be not to far from Tycho.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-28-2008, 11:15 AM
True, I'm sure he had to have heard the fireworks (even for a relatively small display, these were LOUD! maybe the sound bounced off the tall buildings around the park).

Pirates gave up three first-inning runs (two on a deep HR), then stymied the Pads for the next seven innings. Got two scattered runs, but "Hell's Bells" Hoffman shut them down in their 9th. Quick (but somehow slow) 2:30 game, with no errors. Some John Williams songs (SW, Indy, Jaws) were in the fireworks. At least Pittsburgh has the overall record scoreboard on SD. :rolleyes: Petco is a nice place.

jjreason
09-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Well the Tigers are going to factor into the playoffs after all. They have to make up an old rainout with the White Sox tomorrow to see if the Sox can catch the Twins' win total. I'm really ambivalent about the whole thing as I'd prefer NEITHER the Twins nor the ChiSox to be moving forward.

I was actually pretty happy to see the Brew-Crew finish strong and displace the Mets - C.C. Sabathia has been unreal since coming over from the Indians.

CaptainSolo1138
09-29-2008, 09:20 PM
Well the Tigers are going to factor into the playoffs after all. They have to make up an old rainout with the White Sox tomorrow to see if the Sox can catch the Twins' win total. I'm really ambivalent about the whole thing as I'd prefer NEITHER the Twins nor the ChiSox to be moving forward.
*sigh*

Why would they end the season any other way than with a good ol' fashioned drubbing at the hands of an AL Central foe complete with an utter bullpen meltdown to boot!

The silver lining on today's cloud is that Edgar Renteria's option for 2009 will not be picked up, giving the job to (presumably) long-time backup Ramon Santiago.

I can feel my teeth grinding as I think this, but I....want...to see....the.....Twins.....win.....tomorrow.

bobafrett
09-30-2008, 05:54 PM
I can feel my teeth grinding as I think this, but I....want...to see....the.....Twins.....win.....tomorrow.

Yes, and get me beaten by my White Sox loving wife, thanks! I have the feeling the twins will win, and my wife will pout.

I'm looking forward to Wensdays matchup between the Cubs and the Dodgers! My step daughter bought me the S.I. with Ramirez running the bases pumping his fist!

DarthQuack
10-01-2008, 07:45 AM
Let's go Cubbies!!!

TeeEye7
10-02-2008, 11:08 AM
My son was able to snag four playoff tickets in an online lottery for last night's Angels vs. Red Sox game. It was quite a cool thing as it was the first time he and three of his buds were ever at a playoff game (Heck! Even Dad hasn't been to one!).

He even bought a Rally Monkey. Must have been defective. :(

jjreason
10-02-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm almost rooting for the Rays in the AL, they put on a very good show this afternoon against the (damned) White Sox. I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels get through either. A few years ago I'd be pulling for the Red Sox, but having seen them win twice now that feeling is long gone.

In the NL it's Cubs all the way - but they'll need Zambrano to be rockin' tonight if they want to avoid going down 2-0 to the Dodgers. The Phillies are looking pretty darned tough - they might just have the right mix.

bobafrett
10-02-2008, 11:28 PM
I can't even watch the game right now, the Cubs are down 6 - 0 not because Carlos has pitched bad, but because the defense behind him has sucked bad tonight, reminding me of when they fell apart in the 6th game against the Marlins. Next two games are in L.A., and if they don't come back tonight, I won't be able to watch the rest of the series, my stomach is killing me as it is.

Tycho
10-03-2008, 04:11 AM
I want the Cubs to win this time as well. Chicago deserves this one!

It has not been very heartening to learn of the outcome of their series against the Dodgers so far.

I was not in San Diego at the time of the Pirates series, Bel-Cam.

I was representing my first novel at the Southern California Writers' Conference and had my own win to score (which I did, yaaaay!)

I don't even know how my Padres did - except I just know it wouldn't make a difference anyway. :cry:

But if not for my conference, I would have wanted to go - last series of the season and all.

But seriously, I'm hoping that by next April I will be able to start attending a great new season for the Padres and a lot of things will look brighter.

In the meanwhile, I am throwing my support behind the Cubbies.

I will root for a California team (probably) when the Angels make it to the World Series. As a kid, I grew up 30 minutes from Anaheim Stadium and through many years saw tons of Angel homegames.

Now, when I was finishing high school, I lived in Illinois and went with my Grandpa to Wrigley Field to watch the Cubs play.

My Padres may be out of it, (uh....by more than 12 parsecs) but this baseball season can still be an exciting time for me.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-03-2008, 01:52 PM
I can't even watch the game right now, the Cubs are down 6 - 0 not because Carlos has pitched bad, but because the defense behind him has sucked bad tonight, reminding me of when they fell apart in the 6th game against the Marlins. Next two games are in L.A., and if they don't come back tonight, I won't be able to watch the rest of the series, my stomach is killing me as it is.

Seriously, this is GUT WRENCHING to watch. I can accept like, an error or whatnot, but EVERY STARTING INFIELDER HAD AN ERROR. When Derosa did his play, I yelled, "Christ no, it's Alex Gonzalez all over again!!" Zambrano did what he needed to and he would have only given up one run during that inning if everybody hadn't messed up.

I can handle it if the cubs lose, but I just sense a huge lack of heart and effort amongst a lot of the players. Hell, it seems like only guys like Soto, Ramirez (despite his errors), DeRosa, are actually trying and making contact at the plate. Soriano has been unreliable and Lee is a DP magnet.

My bro and dad were in the center field bleachers for last nights game and they both said that the bleacher bums were BRUTAL to Fukie and Soriano due to their suckiness. Dad made the comment about how he thinks that Fukie is just not used to all of this treatment, even though it's pretty warranted.

I'm a life long Cubs fan and while part of me is like, "still got more baseball to play," another part of me wants to scream.

I plan to be the UT homecoming game tomorrow night, so i'll be somewhat liquored up and I sense i'll have to be to watch the late arse game tomorrow, if I decide to it.

bleurgh.

Bel-Cam Jos
10-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Some SoCal baseball fans would've expected the two series to be 2-0 by this point... but probably not the teams with that advantage. Looks like a tough road for the Halos, and if the Phillies punch out the Brewers (I hope not; would like to see the Brew Crew make it through), the low-80s win team could make the Series instead of the 100-win club?!? :confused: Rays vs. Dodgers for it all? Could happen.

bobafrett
10-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Rays vs. Dodgers for it all? Could happen.

In the words of Darth Vader.......Noooooooooooooo!!

Bel-Cam Jos
10-05-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, we know Rays vs. Cubs is out. Could be that the two best records in each league could be swept away (like the rest of the garbage :Leia: ). The 5-game series idea really kills the momentum built over the 162-game series; lose two to start and you're basically toast (burnt or soggy).

Pirates in 2011! (unless it's those sea pirates holding off the US Marines; they'd totally trash the NL Central every year! :Pirate: :arr: )

CaptainSolo1138
10-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Great. Another off-season of hearing about "curses".:rolleyes:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Great. Another off-season of hearing about "curses".:rolleyes:

The only people you'll hear that crap from is from newscasters and reporters. Fans of the Cubs like myself don't believe in that crap; we just believe in the fact that the players probably psyched themselves out AGAIN and blew it.

CaptainSolo1138
10-05-2008, 11:16 PM
we just believe in the fact that the players probably psyched themselves out AGAIN and blew it.But that goes right back to the "intangible" b.s. that gets way too much credit in baseball (i.e. "curses", people who "play with heart", David Eckstein's "grittiness", et. al.). Why can't it simply be that the Dodgers played better during this particular small sample of a season?

Do I think that the Cubs are a better baseball team? Absolutely. Does dumb luck play a part? Definitely. But these factors only even out in the long run*. A three game series is a cruel mistress. I by no means am a Cubs fan so this is not to be construed as griping, but I wish baseball would switch it to a best-of-7 format in the first round like other sports.

*Unless you're the Angels, who based on the Pythagorean Expectations theory over-performed this year by 13 games. While it doesn't sound like much, that would've been enough to give them the lowest win total of all American League playoff teams. Due to nothing more than luck that never ran out, they ended up the #1 seed.

Tycho
10-06-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm writing after the 12th Inning!

The Angels held on and get to play the Red Sox one more time, tomorrow.

Geeze it was a long game. I watched the whole 4 hour thing.

I think it was Napoli the Angels' catcher who was the MVP of the game with 2 homeruns in one ball game, including his 3-run drive that almost broke out of Fenway!

I was very sorry about the Cubbies, btw.

So the Red Sox have a guy named Coco Crisp playing for them. Yup -that's the guy's real legal name. I heard from a fan I watched the game with that he had his name changed to honor his grandma by using the nickname she called him by. In that case, it's cool.

But he's also fast getting around the bases. He might be Coco Crisp, but he runs like Cream of Wheat!

JimJamBonds
10-07-2008, 08:25 PM

How'd that work out again? ;) My favorite sports team (the Brewers) only lasted one game longer then the Scrubbies.

I got to go to three of the last 8 games of the season. A walk off win against the Pirates, the game 3 victory against the Phillies and the lone loss in the Cubs series to end the regular season. And lucky for me I only had to pay for the playoff ticket!:thumbsup:

Bel-Cam Jos
10-20-2008, 12:40 AM
I can hear the cheers building for the eagerly-anticipated Phillies/Rays matchup. I don't mind, but the major markets will complain about "no one" in America caring about this World Series.

Rocketboy
10-20-2008, 12:43 AM
I have a feeling Tampa's going to win it all.
Last year I was in Boston when they won it all. Man, did that ever suck. Its not that I hate the Red Sox (I love any team that doesn't end in "ankees"), but that was literally the only thing I heard/saw for days.
And it'll happen again just to p*ss me off since I'll be fairly close to the Tampa area.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
10-20-2008, 01:10 AM
While I'm happy for the Rays team, it does irritate me that fans in Tampa largely ignored them until they got into the playoffs. They should really be ashamed of themselves for being fair weather fans and not really deserving of such a good team.

Kidhuman
10-20-2008, 06:58 AM
I am just glad boston lost. Go Phillies

Bel-Cam Jos
10-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Going into the bottom of the ninth, with TB trailing by 1 in the first game.

But in an iPhone commercial, I just noticed that the clip of the Brewer hitting a HR is against... the Pirates. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
11-25-2008, 11:36 AM
Oh, some guys won MVPs of each league, plus some rookies and managers won, too. :lipsrsealed:

Noticed this blurb in my newspaper today...

The Pittsburgh Pirates hope Rinku Singh and Dinesh Patel really do have million-dollar arms. The two 20-year old pitchers, neither of whom had picked up a baseball until earlier this year, signed free-agent contracts with the Pirates. Singh and Patel came to the United States six months ago after being the top finishers in an Indian reality TV show called the "Million Dollar Arm" that drew about 30,000 contestants. The show sought to find athletes who could throw strikes at 85 miles per hour or faster. While neither pitcher threw hard enough to earn the $1 million prize, Singh made $100,000 from the contest and Patel made $2500, plus his trip to the United States.

Hey, the Indian Ocean isn't really all that far away from the coast of Africa, so maybe they heard how strong and powerful those pirates were in stealing that oil tanker. Gotta find help from somewhere, even if they can't hit 85 on the gun. :rolleyes: Arr. :Pirate:

Tycho
11-26-2008, 12:32 PM
This smacks of MARKETING desperation. I mean there are hundreds of thousands of American baseball players who have practiced so hard and dream of making the big leagues, and the Pirates sign game-show contestants?

What are they going to do next? Hire Donald Rumsfeld as General Manager?

Meanwhile, the last I heard, my Padres didn't sign a new contract with local hero, closer Trevor Hoffman. It's the end of an era. :(

Bel-Cam Jos
11-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Meanwhile, the last I heard, my Padres didn't sign a new contract with local hero, closer Trevor Hoffman. It's the end of an era. :(And neither did Jake Peavy get much free agent interest so far. Hoffman should stay; right now, he's probably the team's most recognizable star (maybe not their best player or potential All-Star, though).

Will the Pirates break the tie with the Phillies' all-time MLB record of 16 straight losing seasons next year? Odds? I give it 4-3.9 that they will.