PDA

View Full Version : When will LucasArts embrace the Virtual Console?

El Chuxter
01-18-2008, 12:35 PM
It looks like more third-party companies are jumping on the Wii Virtual Console, with Konami, Sega, Capcom, and more firmly entrenched.

Has anyone read anything about LucasArts' stance? It would be really nice to get some of the old NES, SNES, and N64 games, particularly Super Star Wars and Rogue Squadron I.

Just curious.

(By the way, I've discovered that 18 years can make even the great Punch-Out champion so rusty he gets his butt kicked in short order by the likes of Soda Popinski.)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-18-2008, 01:03 PM
It looks like more third-party companies are jumping on the Wii Virtual Console, with Konami, Sega, Capcom, and more firmly entrenched.

Has anyone read anything about LucasArts' stance? It would be really nice to get some of the old NES, SNES, and N64 games, particularly Super Star Wars and Rogue Squadron I.

Just curious.

(By the way, I've discovered that 18 years can make even the great Punch-Out champion so rusty he gets his butt kicked in short order by the likes of Soda Popinski.)

I gotta agree with you here Chux. I'm wondering why Lucasarts hasn't tossed anything up there as they'd be HUGE sellers. I'd love to have the original SNES star wars games on the VC. And I'd REALLY LOVE to get SOTE on there again.

As for Punch Out, Soda Pop is my bane, my wall. I just CAN'T get past the guy. I'm still waiting for nintendo to put up RBI Baseball, which is one of my favorite NES games, ever. I wonder if there is a hotline or something where we can email suggestions, etc. We can dream. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
01-18-2008, 01:20 PM
I took a quick shot and finally took him out this morning. The controls are a bit slower than the original, and I saw on a few sites that this is a common complaint. Not quite as bad as trying to play the GBA Mario Bros series when you're used to the old versions, but a bit off-putting, especially on the faster, later fighters. Now I'm stuck on Bald Bull Mark II, because my old "Bull-Charge Whomping Left" is totally out of whack. In my prime, I could take him down on a Bull-Charge without looking at the screen, just on the sound effects alone.

Super Mario is a lot easier than I remember it being, though. I expected to be rusty there as well, but it wasn't until World 7 that I've had any difficulty at all. I don't remember the proper order to beat 8-4, though, and have totally lost my ability to time the multiple lives trick on 3-1.

I wonder if the Nintendo site has a forum for suggestions? I'd kill to see Kung Fu. That is one of the most basic games ever made, but it's so much fun just walking through and kicking people.

Contra and Life Force would be welcome, too. It's odd that we got Gradius, Gradius III, and Super C before those two (since Life Force is Gradius II).

For SW, LucasArts seemed to have completely written off the Wii before it was released (judging from TFU). Maybe they just needed a year's worth of sales figures before converting the games, or something?

Lord Malakite
01-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Most of the delay I imagine revolves around licensing issues with certain titles. The "Super Star Wars" series of games for instance was developed by Sculptured Software (which has been defunct since around 1996 from what I can tell) and was published by both JVC Digital Studios (which as of 2001 is also now defunct) and Victor Interactive Software (the guys behind the Harvest Moon franchise). Aside from publishing the game in Europe, LucasArts had little to no involvement in the creation of said games.

And I wouldn't expect you to hold out too much hope for RBI Baseball to ever show up Guyute. While the game was developed by one of Nintendo's closer pal companies Namco (now known as Namco Bandai Games due to the merge with Bandai), the game was published by Tengen (a now defunct subsidiary of the defunct Atari Games (later renamed Midway Games West), which in itself was at one time a division of Atari Inc. until the two were split apart in 1984 and then later sold seperately by Time Warner Interactive to Hasbro and Midway Games respectively in 1996). Confusing just who owns what, isn't it? :D And if the legal red tape isn't enough to stop the game, Tengen's notorious past (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tengen_(company)) with Nintendo probably would as Nintendo has final say as to what comes out and when on the Virtual Console.

As for Kung Fu, thats another tricky one with licensing. The NES game is actually a Nintendo licensed/published port of an arcade game called Kung Fu Master (also known as Spartan X) which was developed by the Irem Corporation (who stated there support was 100% behind the PS2 and PS3) and published by Data East (now defunct from bankruptcy). There is also a movie license involved with this one. The game was based and credited loosely on the Jackie Chan movie called Spartan X (Wheels on Meals) by Paragon Films Ltd., Towa Promotion.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 12:08 PM
Once I mastered the timing on the bull charge, I can easily whomp Bald Bull II. Mr Sandman is now giving me some major troubles.

For some reason, I remember Don Flamenco II being the toughest fighter before Macho Man. He's so incredibly basic that I beat him on the first try.

Downloaded Metroid last night. Man, I love that game. But I forgot what a pain it is before you get the long beam, bombs, and corkscrew attack.

Lord Malakite
01-25-2008, 01:31 PM
Since you seem to be in a virtual console retro phase Chux you might also want check out two of Nintendo's usually forgotten NES gems: Kid Icarus and StarTropics.

And for Guyute's Baseball needs, Baseball Stars 2 (the Neo Geo version) is now available on the console.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 01:44 PM
I was actually looking at info on Kid Icarus online, and it looks like a cool game. I'll probably get it after I get the other "essentials" (Super Mario 2, Super Mario 3, Super Mario Lost Levels, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and Pinball). I'm keeping a limit on how much I spend each month, because I could easily go hog wild and blow my entire tax rebate. :)

I'm also sticking to NES games for the time being, since I don't have any classic controllers, and my Wii is set up in such a way that I can't hook GameCube controllers to it without wires obscuring the screen. And Nintendo was nice enough to discontinue the WaveBird right in time for the Wii, which makes no sense to me.

Lord Malakite
01-25-2008, 02:43 PM
I was actually looking at info on Kid Icarus online, and it looks like a cool game. I'll probably get it after I get the other "essentials" (Super Mario 2, Super Mario 3, Super Mario Lost Levels, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr, and Pinball).
I wouldn't rule StarTropics out either. ;) It has a Zelda-like quality to it and the NES game is unique in that Nintendo made it exclusively with American audiences in mind. In fact, Nintendo never released the game (or its sequel Zoda's Revenge) in Japan due to that very reason. The sequel goes one step further in that it wasn't even released in Europe. In addition, the sequel was the next to last game developed and published by Nintendo for the NES before Nintendo shifted 100% of there efforts into the SNES (which at this point had been on the market for 3 years). On one final note, StarTropics was written and directed by Genyo Takeda of Nintendo Integrated Research & Development (which also developed the Punch-Out!! series). :D

As for Gamecube Wavebird controllers (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=178318), they weren't officially discontinued from stores by Nintendo until just recently (January 2, 2008). So with any luck, you should probably be able to find them at stores (particularly ones that aren't well-known for selling video games) if you act quickly. And if you can't find one it may not be a total loss. It looks like Nintendo eventually plans to continue selling them directly from their official online store.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I've not been able to find them anywhere for months. A lot of sources were reported them as OOP as early as summer (and charging an arm and a leg for them), so the announcement they were just discontinued recently surprised me.

There are some off-brand wireless controllers, but they get crappy reviews, and they're so undersized I can't imagine using them. If Nintendo plans to start selling them directly, I'll probably just wait. It'll be nice to play GameCube games on the Wii, even if I don't want to get rid of the GameCube since I have four controllers, and four wireless controllers would set me back considerably. (Medal of Honor: Frontline is almost a tradition when the family gets together.)

2-1B
01-25-2008, 05:57 PM
StarTropics was indeed a great game, I played the hell outta that thing as a kid. :thumbsup: