PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it.

Slicker
01-19-2008, 01:42 AM
How can his name be pronounced "Farv" when it's clearly spelled to sound like "Fav-ree" or at the least "Favor"?

bigbarada
01-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Because it's a proper name, the rules of pronunciation don't apply.:)

2-1B
01-19-2008, 04:45 AM
Bart Favor is my preferred pronounciation.

Kidhuman
01-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Awesome, every home should have a Favre

Old Fossil
01-19-2008, 09:30 AM
The name's peculiar spelling and/or pronunciation is due most likely to the fact that the Favre's are but the latest in a long line of newly upper-crust, landed gentry of French descent: i.e., coon-a$$es. (Not to be confused with "Cajuns," which are a different breed altogethuh.)

I really have no idea.

bobafrett
01-19-2008, 11:00 AM
It's a Wisconsin thing. His given name was Bret Smith, but once he became a Packer, he was given the name Favre, which is just as rediculous as some of the town names in the State just North of the Illinois border.

2-1B
01-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Don't even go there Frett, you really don't want me to get started on the goofy place names in FIB-land...

bobafrett
01-19-2008, 11:15 AM
the name Caesar is just about as messed up as Favre, me thinks in my own brain.

TeeEye7
01-19-2008, 12:55 PM
This spelling/pronunciation screw-up thing is obviously the result of the misguided No Child Left Behind program. :p

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-19-2008, 01:30 PM
"Ray Fines", I'm sorry, but where I come from it's Ralph Fien-nes.

El Chuxter
01-19-2008, 01:43 PM
How about Seeeemji? That's the weirdest spelling for a name I've ever heard.

2-1B
01-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Ralph is actually pronounced Rayfe, not Ray...the Ffffff sound is just blending with the Fines part.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-19-2008, 02:15 PM
So, apparently the l in Ralph is actually a capital I?

If I remember Something About Mary correctly, there was the part where I think Ben Stiller called him Brett Fahv-ruh or something like that.

Those crazy French and their weird spellings. I like to call those little snacks you serve at a party "Horse Doovers". Then there is that great museum, the Loover.

TeeEye7
01-19-2008, 02:22 PM
...Loover.

I have some of those on my windows.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2008, 02:23 PM
How about Seeeemji? That's the weirdest spelling for a name I've ever heard.
The "j" is silent.

El Chuxter
01-19-2008, 02:55 PM
Forty minutes before someone "got" it. Not too bad. :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
01-19-2008, 03:16 PM
I like to call those little snacks you serve at a party "Horse Doovers".

I just completely butcher the French language and call them "(W)hores Devours".

El Chuxter
01-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I called them that as a kid and got the %&#@ smacked out of me. I didn't know why for several years.

It was an honest mistake. That's how it's spelled.

scruffziller
01-19-2008, 03:44 PM
FIB-land...

Heh heh. I.......know.......what.......that......stands.... .......fooooooooorrrrrr!!!!:D Don't forget, it is also FISH-land too.

2-1B
01-19-2008, 03:48 PM
When they come up to our beautiful state to go camping and fishing,
we add a TAB to FISH to make FISH-TAB (towing a boat). lol

All in good fun though, I love getting down to Chicago once or twice a year. :)

General_Grievous
01-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I called them that as a kid and got the %&#@ smacked out of me. I didn't know why for several years.

That reminds me of when I was about 9 years old and every news magazine in the country had a cover story of Ellen DeGeneres coming out of the closet. Mind you, I could read pretty good for my age, but for some reason that name made me dyslexic and pronounce it as "Ellen DeN***ers". Now, I had no idea what the "n" word was, so it was just an innocent and coincidental mistake. But I saw her on a magazine in a supermarket with my mom and I asked, "Mom, who's Ellen DeN***ers?" My mom looked horrified and said loudly and nervously, "IT'S DEGENERES!", but I don't recall anyone else hearing me say it.

2-1B
01-19-2008, 05:46 PM
That's okay, at least you had a reason for your gaffe. Jerry Falwell is (was) 10 times your age and he called her Ellen DeGenerate...

Mad Slanted Powers
01-19-2008, 05:54 PM
That reminds me of when I was about 9 years old and every news magazine in the country had a cover story of Ellen DeGeneres coming out of the closet. Mind you, I could read pretty good for my age, but for some reason that name made me dyslexic and pronounce it as "Ellen DeN***ers". Now, I had no idea what the "n" word was, so it was just an innocent and coincidental mistake. But I saw her on a magazine in a supermarket with my mom and I asked, "Mom, who's Ellen DeN***ers?" My mom looked horrified and said loudly and nervously, "IT'S DEGENERES!", but I don't recall anyone else hearing me say it.Funny. I like the routine she did where she is on the phone and from what she says you can figure out that the other person thought her name sounded like degenerate.

As for the N word, I didn't know what it meant as a kid either. One time, I recall hearing my dad use the word, and I happened to be looking at a centipede that was black and yellow. So in my mind, I associated the word with that bug. Then there was the whole "eeny meeny miny mo" rhyme used in determining who was "it" in hide and seek or other such games. I'd always learned it as "catch a n*gger by his toe". Then I'm in first grade and someone else is saying it and uses the word "tiger" instead. I probably still wasn't sure what the word meant. I recall pointing out that's not how it goes. I guess I was lucky there were no black kids around or that a teacher didn't hear it. The other kids either didn't hear my correction or ignored it.

Slicker
01-19-2008, 07:07 PM
I had Something About Mary in my mind when I made this and the more I thought of it the weirder the name sounded to me.

Because it's a proper name, the rules of pronunciation don't apply.:)Then explain the word "colonel" to me!! There isn't an "R" in the entire word!!!:yes:

Mad Slanted Powers
01-19-2008, 07:40 PM
I had Something About Mary in my mind when I made this and the more I thought of it the weirder the name sounded to me.

Then explain the word "colonel" to me!! There isn't an "R" in the entire word!!!:yes:
Hey, don't have a colonel panic now.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-19-2008, 07:49 PM

My mom once got mad at me for saying I won the "Grand Prix" on Mario Kart. Needless to say, I didn't pronounce it properly.

bigbarada
01-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Then explain the word "colonel" to me!! There isn't an "R" in the entire word!!!:yes:

Try pronouncing it phonetically with a southern accent and see what it sound like.

Similar to how Saint Nicholas becomes "Santa Claus" with a heavy French accent.

TeeEye7
01-20-2008, 04:36 AM
My mom once got mad at me for saying I won the "Grand Prix" on Mario Kart. Needless to say, I didn't pronounce it properly.

Maybe she thought you were bragging. :Ponder:

jjreason
01-20-2008, 06:06 AM
It's laziness. Somewhere back along the way his pappy or grand-pappy or great grand-pappy got sick of correcting the folks who just couldn't get their mouths around fawv-ruh, so they let it go to Farve. It's like Bernier turning into Ber-NY-er down there, and the town of Buena Vista actually sounding like Bewna Vista in Colorado. Folks give up when it's apparent the vast majority just want to say it another way.

TeeEye7
01-20-2008, 01:19 PM
...and the town of Buena Vista actually sounding like Bewna Vista in Colorado.

Ouch! like fingernails on a chalkboard to me. Folks in the LA area pronounce the port town of San Pedro like San PEE-dro instead of San PAY-dro. :gack!:

Maybe it has something to do with being on the coast and so close to water....

Kidhuman
01-20-2008, 05:36 PM
In NYC there is Houston St. Many of you just read it like the City in Texas. Go to NYC and pronounce it that way and you will get looked at like you're a mental midget because it is pronounced HOUSE-TON Street. Go figure

CaptainSolo1138
01-20-2008, 07:00 PM
the town of Buena Vista actually sounding like Bewna Vista in Colorado.There's a Buena Vista just outside of Saginaw, MI and you can always tell who the locals aren't because they'll try sounding worldly when they pronounce it a "Bwena Veesta".:p

El Chuxter
01-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Every state has a city, town, or county named Lancaster. And they're pronounced fifty different ways.

Rocketboy
01-20-2008, 09:22 PM
There's a Buena Vista just outside of Saginaw, MI and you can always tell who the locals aren't because they'll try sounding worldly when they pronounce it a "Bwena Veesta".:pOr as the locals say "da BV."

Kidhuman
01-20-2008, 10:38 PM
There's a Buena Vista just outside of Saginaw, MI and you can always tell who the locals aren't because they'll try sounding worldly when they pronounce it a "Bwena Veesta".:p

Town by the same name about 70 miles north of me. I hate the way people pronounce it all hickish and sh*t.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-20-2008, 10:55 PM
I recall radio commercials for a bank or something years ago. It was meant to show how some banks aren't local and don't know the names of towns or the local traditions, so they pronounced things wrong or used the wrong words. It was funny to hear them butcher names like Puyallup. Sometimes I like to say it wrong myself just to be funny. It's actually pronounced pew-AL-up.

bigbarada
01-21-2008, 12:24 AM
Every state has a city, town, or county named Lancaster. And they're pronounced fifty different ways.

Massachusetts takes the cake with Worchester (pronounced "Woos-ster") and Dorchester (pronounced "Dor-chest-ur").

Mad Slanted Powers
01-21-2008, 12:31 AM
Massachusetts takes the cake with Worchester (pronounced "Woos-ster") and Dorchester (pronounced "Dor-chest-ur").

From watching Monty Python, Gloucester and Leicester are also missing a syllable when pronounced.

Jargo
01-22-2008, 02:07 PM
Glossta and Lessta.

actually the UK way of saying Worcester is Wussta. and Lancaster is just Lann-cast-a.

the one you foreign johnnies have most trouble with is Edinburgh. it's Eddin-burra. not Edinn-burrow. and definitely not Edinn-berg.

another rule of thumb is that in the UK if somewhere is a shire. you pronouse it as shuh as in cheshuh not chesh-ire. lancashuh not lancash-ire.

phonetically speaking Favre sounds like Farv-uh to me. the 'uh' being almost silent.

it's kinda like a lazy way of speaking missing off half the sounds. redundant letters in names. but even my own surname has a silent vowel. Priestman. I assume most people say Priest-mann. but to me it's Priest-mn with the a completely missed out. total anglicisation of a Germanic name.

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Then explain the word "colonel" to me!! There isn't an "R" in the entire word!!!:yes:If you say it with a Southern or English accent, it kinda rolls into one. "Cuhhhl-nul" and somehow 3 Hs make an R (and 3 rights make a left). When Abraham Lincoln was a boy, he was embarrassed by his father who said "Lincorn".

Try pronouncing it phonetically with a southern accent and see what it sound like.Damn you, you said my idea before I had a chance to post it, now all I have to hang this post on is my Abraham Lincoln part! :p

Similar to how Saint Nicholas becomes "Santa Claus" with a heavy French accent.Well, that and the Dutch, whose word is "Sinterklaas".

Here in LA, we have a Rodeo Drive and a Rodeo Road, one is pronounced like the cowboy event "roh-dee-oh", the other is pronounced like the Spanish "roh-day-oh". This is all the foreigners' fault! The French don't say their last few letters of anything right, if at all, it's so annoying, like they're so opulent they can slap a bunch of extra crappiet onto anything they wantoire.

As for Favre, that one annoys the crap out of me, the letters are on the opposite f'ing side from each other! I always just say "faav-reh" when I see it, then I say it again REALLY obnoxiously so people get that it cheeses me off. Then I go "vr-vr-vr-vr-vr-vr" to drive it home.