PDA

View Full Version : News that makes even me happy!

El Chuxter
01-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Mousedroid.com: Gday from Downunder Hasbro,
The 30th Anniversary has been a major success both here and abroad. Thank you for listening to the fans in regards to and allowing us to vote on the various websites for the Fan Choice Figure!!! Now as we move into Expanded Universe territory with The Force Unleashed, the soon to be CG cartoon Clone Wars and of course the various novels available etc, etc. My question is.....Will Hasbro EVER make the evil Yuzhan Vong figure from the New Jedi Order series of novels????
Bring on 2008-Starwars is FOREVER!!!
From,
Glennfett
Hasbro: We have some good news for you - we can indeed confirm that a Yuzhan Vong is in fact in development, but when and how it will be introduced (as a basic figure or as a multi-pack) has yet to be announced. Look for more information around Comic Con timing if all goes as planned..
Confirmation of a Yuuzhan Vong! Freaking sweet! I'd rather have that than 99% of the EU figures coming out. Hopefully, it means we get more figures from the same era to go with it. (Cough, Corran, Kyp.)

Let the speculation begin! Will it be Nom Anor? And, if so, will he be in his normal Vong attire, or in the black robes from Crimson Empire II? Or maybe Shimmra with an Onimi pack-in? Shedao Shai? Generic Vong soldier? Carp, any of those would rock!

I just pray we don't get one this year, and have to wait on more like we do with podracers and Ewoks.

Rebelscum.com: Three words: More Female Figures!
Okay, more words: While we love Clones, Jedi, Droids, multiple versions of Vader/Anakin/Obi-Wan/Luke/Yoda, how about some more female figures? Not just Leia or Padmé, either! There's a lot of females in the Star Wars saga who never seem to get their day. Any chances we will see someone like Aunt Beru, Toryn Farr, or dare we say it?---Yarna?
Hasbro: Yes! A few more females are on the way, with at least one of your list seeing shelves in 2008, and at least one more planned (but subject to change) for 2009.
So at least two of the list are essentially confirmed, one in 2008 and 2009. Hey, he only listed three total! So we're getting Torryn, Beru (no word on young or old; I'd hope young), or Yarna this year, and one of the others next? Awesome!! I'm just hoping it's not a way of saying that the 1999 Beru sculpt (which is still quite good) will be in the Legends line in 2008.

2-1B
01-21-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm not excited by the thought of an EUzhan Vong figure, but the fact that there is a Mousedroid.com website is pretty funny. :)

TeeEye7
01-21-2008, 05:39 PM
Let's just hope Hasblo doesn't take shortcuts like putting a Yarna head on a Malakili body, or a Toryn head on a Leia Episode V body and call it good.

Tycho
01-21-2008, 06:07 PM
Caesar, please take Mouse Droids very seriously! They're far more important than you can possibly imagine. [*sniff, sniff. Cough. Wheeze. Gulp.* :crazed: ]

This thread should be retitled "Yuuzhan Vong's a comin'!

I'm totally stoked about that as well Chuxter!

I want to army-build Yuuzhan Vong warriors, so 2-packs, multi-packs, etc. make me warry.

To sell these to the casual customer, it might be packaged with Luke or another highly recognizeable mainstream character. That can get tiresome if army building.

If instead, a Warrior is packed with Nom Anor, the latter might still end up overwhelming someone's extra figures pile if they are troop building the Yuuzhan Vong for an invasion.

Another option would be Legacy comic 2-packs that may include Cade Skywalker. This wouldn't be too bad in that you could use multiples of Cade for multiple scenes. But we'll see.

As to Aunt Beru, Torryn Far, and Yarna - I would guess we'll actually see all 3 of these characters. They all ranked highly on request lists and polls, so...

Jedi_Kal-El
01-21-2008, 06:09 PM
I'd love to see an entire couple of waves devoted to NJO. Hasbro says they don't think that figures from novels would satnd out, but I disagree. I know way too many ppl who would be just as interested to have figures from this series of books, or any series for that matter.

As for more female characters....bring them on.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2008, 06:20 PM
I never got into the Vong invasion storyline (kind of made the Empire look puny and powerless, which is dumb). Hopefully the figure will be good, though.

I am really quite excited about the other part, though. I'd be ecstatic for any of those three, and two is even better. Hopefully they make a young AOTC/ROTS Beru before they redo the ANH version, but any way is actually fine. I bet we'll see Torryn Farr before we see Yarna, but again, I'll be happy either way.

El Chuxter
01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
To sell these to the casual customer, it might be packaged with Luke or another highly recognizeable mainstream character. That can get tiresome if army building.

The smart way to do these (which Hasbro probably won't do) would be to sell them as two-packs with an NJO Jedi (or other hero) and a NAMED Yuuzhan Vong individual, as well as maybe a few two packs that each have two different generic Vong soldiers (or maybe army-building heroes, like Lando's YVK droids).

To really get a cool skeletal force, we need the major Vong (I can't recall all the names off-hand), as well as:

Luke (confirmed)
Mara Jade-Skywalker
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
Corran Horn
Kyp Durron
Han with a beard
Anakin Solo
Han's alien buddy
Old Boba Fett (I could skip, but he'd be an easy retool, so he'd be given)
Tahiri
Ganner Rhysode
Vergere

There are a few others who are important, but could (and would) probably be skipped.

Honestly, though, the confirmation of a 67% chance of getting Yarna in the next two years (as well as confirmation of Beru and Torryn in case of the other 23% chance) is far bigger news to me than the Vong.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Han with a beard
What??? :eek:

The sheer awesomeness of that remark may have me rethinking the entire series.

:beard:

Sinscia Fat'o
01-21-2008, 06:38 PM
God i creamed when i read this, and it's about time that hasbro took the demands for this era and made them true...i mean KOTOR was okay, but this is this is the era hasbro should focus in...and coming from me that means something since i'm not into the story line about the vong but i like them visually as a race. As for other NJO characters we're supposed to see Kyle Katarn from this era in 08 accroding to rebel scum as well...but we'll have to see.

As for Yarna and Toryn...i know it's not Beru. I think Toryn to me is more of a priority, just because i like her character better, but i have a Jabbas's palace diorama...so Yarna would be cool as well...so i guess i'm pretty nutral, hell i wouldn't mind having both.

But 08 is looking to be a big year. This was all great news.

bigbarada
01-21-2008, 06:49 PM
This is bad news for me because I don't care about the novels. As far as I'm concerned, Star Wars ended when the credits rolled on ROTJ. I don't care about any "continuing adventures" after that.

Although this will just make it easier for me to cut back my collecting this year.

As for the female figures:
1. Aunt Beru - OT version - pass, PT version - big maybe
2. Torryn Farr - easy pass
3. Yarna - woo-hoo! :thumbsup:

Jedi_Kal-El
01-21-2008, 06:55 PM
The smart way to do these (which Hasbro probably won't do) would be to sell them as two-packs with an NJO Jedi (or other hero) and a NAMED Yuuzhan Vong individual, as well as maybe a few two packs that each have two different generic Vong soldiers (or maybe army-building heroes, like Lando's YVK droids).

To really get a cool skeletal force, we need the major Vong (I can't recall all the names off-hand), as well as:

Luke (confirmed)
Mara Jade-Skywalker
Jacen Solo
Jaina Solo
Corran Horn
Kyp Durron
Han with a beard
Anakin Solo
Han's alien buddy
Old Boba Fett (I could skip, but he'd be an easy retool, so he'd be given)
Tahiri
Ganner Rhysode
Vergere

There are a few others who are important, but could (and would) probably be skipped.

Honestly, though, the confirmation of a 67% chance of getting Yarna in the next two years (as well as confirmation of Beru and Torryn in case of the other 23% chance) is far bigger news to me than the Vong.

Here's a list of Vong to go with your Jedi Chux:
Nom Anor
Tsavong Lah
Nas Choka
Shedao Shai
Jakan
Da'Gara
Omini
Shimrra Jamaane

Add to these some different generic Vong soldiers to army build and we'd be all set. They could even add in an A'sharad Hett from the Legacy flashback, but he'd be a little lower on my list than the ones mentioned above.

TeeEye7
01-21-2008, 07:42 PM
2. Torryn Farr - easy pass

BigB! Wha.....!? Easy pass? Even with the way she handles an ion canon? :lipsrsealed:

bigbarada
01-21-2008, 09:35 PM
BigB! Wha.....!? Easy pass? Even with the way she handles an ion canon? :lipsrsealed:

I'm just bored with Hoth Rebels.

Kidhuman
01-21-2008, 09:42 PM
I would love any of those 3 females made. I think they will finally cave and giev us Ms Farr. If it is Beru, I hope it is young Beru and if its Yarna, I will quit my job and sit in front of Target until it is released.

El Chuxter
01-21-2008, 10:28 PM
JJL, Han and Leia are no longer involved in government during the NJO. The Vong more or less convince the galaxy that they're fighting the war because of the Jedi, and public sentiment turns against them. Han is using his old contacts and skills to aid the Jedi (especially in keeping the kids away from Vong sympathizers), but he's too well known from his time in the public eye, so he grows a beard, paints the Falcon black, and stops wearing the same vest and slacks he's worn every day for thirty years.

Tycho
01-22-2008, 02:18 AM
Han should have worn a sweatsuit. They're quite comfortable! :lipsrsealed:

jedi master sal
01-22-2008, 07:54 AM
I don't get the whole Vong story. I don't know the whole story and have never read any of the books yet (I have them-got them at a Half Priced Books store). From what I understand though, the Vong "live" outside of the Force or can somehow counter it. If that's true then it goes against everything I've come to believe in the SW universe.

I only know a couple of characters by their names, Vergere and Nom Anor.

I'd have no idea what to army build.

Also from what I gather the Vong use biotechnology. I really don't like that concept. While the Gungans se this to a point too, I get the notion that the Vong take it MUCH further. Coruscant becomes overwrought with vegatation, etc.

The way that the Vong ritualistically mar themselves is a bit disgusting too and I can't see how that would translate to good toys.

This all seems very UNlike SW to me.

I suppose if I read the books I MIGHT gain a new appreciation for it, but as of this moment I can't bring myself to get behind anything Vong related.

Tycho or someone else, please give me a convincing viewpoint as to why I should collect Vong era related stuff.

-Sal

Tycho
01-22-2008, 08:12 AM
It is discovered late in the NJO series that the Vong are NOT outside of the Force. They are on an indetectable frequency of it - like you can't hear some sounds that dogs can, etc.

The Jedi had to learn to sense them this way. Some amongst the Sith and Jedi have learned to shield their presence from being sensed this way - sort of. But the Vong exist there naturally.

The Vong's favored weapon, the amphistaff is basically a snake that can bite with poison, but is trained to straighten to a vibrating staff whose motion can deflect a lightsaber (because it's in motion, like a vibroblade weapon).

A cool scene to army build for is when about 15 Vong attack Luke Skywalker in "Onslaught" the second book - or "Ruin" the 3rd book - and Luke uses the Force to control tornadoes to pummel them with rocks and debris. He has to unleash it with such force, it is lethal. And Luke moves through them in the eye of his private storm. I loved that scene in the book! (Michael Stackpole wrote that one)

The Vong believe machines offensively immitate life and true life is organic. The Gungans have computers and wiring in their vehicles, even though they bio-grow a lot of their hulls and habitat. The Vong regard it as their holy mission to invent whatever they need with bio-technology. It's kind of cool.

Yes it totally departs from Star Wars that you know, but brings what you know into this, so familiar people like Jedi must deal with the unfamiliar. It keeps SW fresh in my mind - so the good guys aren't trying to destroy the 4th, 5th, and 6th Death Stars (there were 2 more of them after ROTJ and that got old fast - I refer to Darksaber - which was just the turbolaser component - and the prototypes in the Maw Installation.)

So you have to decide "what is Star Wars?" If it's about Death Stars, and always fighting the never-defeated-Sith, then no, NJO wouldn't fit your definition. If it is about Jedi dealing with new threats - like putting them into Cloverfield or something - then yes it continues to explore their universe.

I get bored of the same old stuff after 30 years which is why I enjoy the prequels so much now - and of course the books.

As to their ritualistic scarring, mutilations, tattoos, etc. - I think the Islamo-Fascists in real life inspired Vong fanaticism. You can do a lot in fiction if you're paralleling things people can relate to in the real world. I think it was the NJO novel "Star by Star" that had the Vong crashing Mon Cal starships into the buildings on Coruscant just like 9-11-01. Pretty touching imagery that got kind of personal for many Americans.

pegger
01-22-2008, 10:01 AM
I will quit my job and sit in front of Target until it is released.

You can quit being Slicker's mom's pimp?

Rocketboy
01-22-2008, 10:26 AM
Han's alien buddyHis name is Chewbacca (and he is a Wookie).

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Not that alien buddy. Droma, the one that looks like Gleep from the old Superfriends cartoon.

I know the point you're making, but I immediately thought of a Han/Chewie NJO two-pack, with Chewie as a big red pancake.

jedi master sal
01-22-2008, 10:38 AM
That's ridiculous. Existing on a different frequency. BS. They are physical beings as we are. THey are composed of elements such as we are, not some metaphysical membrane or something like that. What crap. I get the point of dogs being able to hear and smell things that humans can't, but I'm not at all convinced that this would be the case for the Vong. "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." This holds true for the Vong too. It's in that that the force can be manipulated (forget what you know about midi-chlorians...).

So tell me, can't the Vong be force lifted and thrown or force choked? If not, them I'm totally not buying into this story. I don't mind biotechnology, but not COMPLETE biotechnology. A fusion such as the Gungans had is more acceptable to me.

Amphistaff is a snake?? Ha, again a piece of bantha poodoo. And that it can stop a lightsaber, that such a bunch of sh...

At least a cortosis blade is more believable at stopping a lightsaber, IMHO.

Hmm, I think I'll be passing on EUzon Vong stuff. Maybe a few characters because they look cool. Vergere for sure since she's also a prequel trilogy era Jedi, but I don't see me going to far into collecting NJO stuff. I'll keep the Luke from the EVO set as I can interpret that as older Luke, but I don't have to count that as being NJO luke.

Wow, I wasn't in a rush to read these books before, and now even more so. I'm going to have to be very freakin' bored to read those stories. More so to buy into it and the toys associated with it.

Honestly, I don't much care what happens that far in the future for our OT heroes. I liked Thrawns books and some of the ones after. Seeing how the Galaxy reorganizes itself and how the Empire exists in the aftermath of the death of the Emperor was closure enough for me.

I'd rather the history BEFORE the prequels be mined for new characters. I'd like to know more about what happened before that brought us to the events of the movies. Be that KOTOR era all the way up to just preceding TPM.

I've been writing a fanfic off and on for about a year now regarding the first being to use the force and it be identified as that. It includes pre-history to that of how even savages (cavemen like peoples) were able to use the force, just not control it as much). It progresses through time in a medieval like society up to a society that is very much like our present day Earth. At that point, this is where the force is discovered for what it truly is and the first force user becomes known and eventually establishes the Order of the Jedi. The being is a Duros. We can't always have humans be in the forefront of everything. Besides Duros have be written about having space flight and hyperspace travel many years before humans. SO I consider them an advanced race, hence why they are able to detect the force first as they are further along the evolutionary chain.

It's THAT kind of stuff I wish was written about. If there would eventually be toys from it good, if not, I'm fine with that too. Books take up much less shelf space and are far less expensive.

-Sal

jedibear
01-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Yeah Sal..I gotta agree with you there...the whole concept of the Vong was a little too "un-Star Wars" like for me. I tried getting into the NJO when it was coming out but gave up about 5 books in...too long, too relentlessly downbeat.
The Vong were more "Alien" than SW and the way the force was treated seemed like all the writers just didn't get the concept in the first place.

But there were a few well-developed Vong characters, one of them being Nom Anor. If Hasbro is just committing to one Vong figure for now, he's be te one to do. He was featured in an early "Republic" comic as I recall, so a comic pack isn't out of the question. Also, the Vong are making appearances in the current "Legacy" comic series as well so if they want to do a Vong Warrior (with Darth Krayt maybe? Yes PLEASE!) That's a possibility too...

Oh and Sal...you have that fanfric available for a read anywhere? Sounds interesting...

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
True, the premise is a bit un-Star Warsish. Like Legacy.

However, the writing on the NJO is good enough for me to overlook that shortcoming. Aside from one lackluster book by Kathy Tyers, it's all top-notch.

So no one cares about the confirmation of two female characters anymore? :p

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 11:26 AM
I was reading Star Wars EU off and on for a while, but it was the Vong storyline that lost me permanently. The original thing that ticked me off was that they just kill off Chewbacca for no reason other than to get peoples' attention. It was a silly publicity ploy and I wasn't going to fall it.

As I read more and more about the storylines (from outside sources, not from the books themselves), I realized I made the right decision in ignoring these books.

Personally, I could care less about the continuing adventures of Luke, Han and Leia since they were never really my favorite SW characters to begin with.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-22-2008, 11:26 AM
Even as much as i dig the EU i do have to say most of the vong stories are well written, but are not very star wars feeling...for me the NJO starts with a little book called Betrayal.... If you want to get into a good star wars story that has the feeling of what 7-8-9 of the star wars saga should be like, then Betrayal, bloodlines...ETC is the books to get into...even though star by star was a very good read...and the dark nest trilogy was also very good...

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I hated the Dark Nest Trilogy with a passion. It wasn't so much that it was un-Star Wars, it was just a really weak story with really amazingly crappy writing. I can't recall any SW book or series since the Black Fleet Trilogy or the whole Children of the Jedi fiasco that was such a chore to get through. Which is odd, because the same writer did some great stuff in the NJO and with Tatooine Ghost. The only redeeming factor was Luke finally finding out who his mother was, though the whole thing about him never questioning why R2-D2 had the info bugged me.

Killing Chewie in the NJO didn't bother me, because Chewie was never used well in the EU. Several books actually had him visiting relatives on Kashyyyk just because the writers couldn't figure out what to do with him. What did bug me was the killing of Anakin Solo, which rendered Chewie's sacrifice totally meaningless.

Not that the principles of good storytelling matter anymore to Lucas, judging from Legacy and the Prequel Trilogy.

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 11:59 AM
If they killed off Han, Leia and Luke, I'd read that book in a heartbeat. But killing off Chewie just made me mad.

Just because the EU writers aren't competent enough to figure out what to do with Chewie is no reason to kill him off.

jedi master sal
01-22-2008, 12:00 PM
I hated the Dark Nest Trilogy with a passion. It wasn't so much that it was un-Star Wars, it was just a really weak story with really amazingly crappy writing. I can't recall any SW book or series since the Black Fleet Trilogy or the whole Children of the Jedi fiasco that was such a chore to get through. Which is odd, because the same writer did some great stuff in the NJO and with Tatooine Ghost. The only redeeming factor was Luke finally finding out who his mother was, though the whole thing about him never questioning why R2-D2 had the info bugged me.

Killing Chewie in the NJO didn't bother me, because Chewie was never used well in the EU. Several books actually had him visiting relatives on Kashyyyk just because the writers couldn't figure out what to do with him. What did bug me was the killing of Anakin Solo, which rendered Chewie's sacrifice totally meaningless.

Not that the principles of good storytelling matter anymore to Lucas, judging from Legacy and the Prequel Trilogy.

I actually shed a tear when I first heard they killed off Chewie. That bothered the carp out of me. I knew if was for Anakin, but never got to know the character of Anakin Skywalker as a teen/adult, so that didn't impact me. But now putting this together as you described, yeah it really does make Chewie's sacrifice pointless.

They need to bring him back. Maybe another shipped swooped in just in time to pick up our beloved walking carpet.

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 12:10 PM
It wouldn't surprise me at all if that happened. With Boba and Shira and everyone else coming back from the dead for no real reason, it'd be par for the course.

BigB, Chewie's death was intended to be a wake-up call to readers, after years of books where everyone knew the characters would be safe regardless of what happened. IIRC, Del Rey wanted to kill off someone bigger (Han, Leia, or even Luke), but Lucas himself nixed those ideas and suggested Chewie. I do remember for certain that RA Salvatore signed on to do the first book before this was decided (or at least before he was told about it); he got a lot of flak for it, but it wasn't his doing.

Kidhuman
01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
You can quit being Slicker's mom's pimp?

I meant my day job

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 02:53 PM
BigB, Chewie's death was intended to be a wake-up call to readers, after years of books where everyone knew the characters would be safe regardless of what happened. IIRC, Del Rey wanted to kill off someone bigger (Han, Leia, or even Luke), but Lucas himself nixed those ideas and suggested Chewie. I do remember for certain that RA Salvatore signed on to do the first book before this was decided (or at least before he was told about it); he got a lot of flak for it, but it wasn't his doing.

So, in other words, it was a silly publicity stunt. What I suspected all along.

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 02:56 PM
Kinda, yeah, but I think they were being honest that the intent was to bring back readers who'd left since there was no sense of danger in the books.

Tycho
01-22-2008, 03:15 PM
It was a good move - to kill a main character.

Lando could have been done-in as well.

A strong build-up to the death of Han, Luke, or Leia - maybe 2 of the 3 - would have also been good.

Star Wars has always centered around young adults:

TPM:

Padme - 14
Obi-Wan - 24

AOTC:

Anakin 19
Padme 24
Obi-Wan 34

ROTS:

Anakin 22
Padme 27
Obi-Wan 37

ANH:

Luke 19
Leia 19
Han 29

ESB

Luke 22
Leia 22
Han 32

ROTJ

Luke 23
Leia 23
Han 33

When you look at New Jedi Order which takes place over 5 years in their lives, you have:

Jaina 16-21
Jacen 16-21
Anakin 15 -17 I guess

But

Luke 44-49
Leia 44-49
Han 54-59

And you are really starting to study geriatrics. SW replaces each generation with a new one.

The difficulty here lies with the fact that Jacen and Jaina have never been represented on screen or in comics. Visually, they also are not new and interesting - they just would look like Han and Leia, because those are their parents. Nevertheless, they are very cool and popular because it continues the SW story into the future.

The other choice would be to stop it or disregard continuity and just continue to tell new stories in the Rebellion era - which Dark Horse already has a comic covering anyway.

Am I overlooking any alternative?

And for those who'd say "just stop it," I'd ask if you want to "get out of" Star Wars? And do you begrudge those who enjoy something new (like Jaina and Jacen) who want to stay "in Star Wars?"

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 03:21 PM
I can't speak for EU haters, since (despite what some may think) I'm not one, but I like stories that are well-written, make sense in the context of Star Wars, and don't require too much suspension of disbelief.

The prequel tie-in books are among the best. So are things like the Thrawn Trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, and Rogue Squadron.

On the other hand, we have ridiculous crap like Boba Fett, IG-88, Dengar, and the Emperor all returning from the dead in the same comics series (Dark Empire); a dimension-hopping sentient slab of meat (The Crystal Star); Leia's daughter deciding she's an insect (Dark Nest Trilogy); Greedo being ground up to make a drink for Jabba (Tales of the Mos Eisley Cantina); Luke's childhood buddy just happening to be an Imperial officer about whom a few great stories had already been written without mentioning that fact (Empire); and, my all-time favorite, Luke falling in love with a computer that thinks it's a dead Jedi (Children of the Jedi).

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 03:37 PM
And for those who'd say "just stop it," I'd ask if you want to "get out of" Star Wars? And do you begrudge those who enjoy something new (like Jaina and Jacen) who want to stay "in Star Wars?"

I can't say that I want Star Wars to end, but I definitely do want the story of Luke, Leia and Han (and all of their offspring) to end. Honestly how much turmoil can three people's lives possibly have? With all the crap that just keeps happening to them, you'd think they would have swallowed a lightsaber blade by now.

I would love to read WELL-WRITTEN stories about new characters and adventures that take place parallel to the film events. I also don't mind stories that flesh out background characters, as long as those aren't as poorly conceived as some of the "Tales of..." stories have been. They weren't all bad though, the Barada story is one of the reasons that I'm such a fan of the character. The Bossk story was pretty good too, until they made a fool out of him in the end.

So I don't hate Star Wars EU, I just hate bad writing and poorly-realized plotlines.

I guess I worded my earlier comments incorrectly when I said, "Star Wars ended when the credits rolled on ROTJ." What I should say is, "Luke, Han and Leia's story ended when the credits rolled on ROTJ."

Jedi_Kal-El
01-22-2008, 03:38 PM
I loved the NJO books with the exception of maybe 2. I though it was different, and yes it didn't follow SW in the mainstream of what most are use to, but that's what kept me hooked. There are some great stories in the EU and some not so great. A couple of my personal favorites lately have been the 2 Darth Bane novels. Both kept my interest and were quite enjoyable to read.

Hasbro IMHO should take some of the most memorable characters from these novels and eventually make them available to fans who are interested.

I think they(Hasbro)seriously underestimates the collectors in their sales because all I ever hear is how kids are scooping these figures and vehicles up, but I've never had to compete with any kids for most of what I'm looking for, and the EU stuff that Hasbro says kids wont touch, is hardly ever around on pegs or shelves, while probably a good chunk of the kid-friendly stuff sits for some time. At least that's how it usaully is in my area.

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 03:49 PM
I loved the NJO books with the exception of maybe 2. I though it was different, and yes it didn't follow SW in the mainstream of what most are use to, but that's what kept me hooked. There are some great stories in the EU and some not so great. A couple of my personal favorites lately have been the 2 Darth Bane novels. Both kept my interest and were quite enjoyable to read.

Hasbro IMHO should take some of the most memorable characters from these novels and eventually make them available to fans who are interested.

I think they(Hasbro)seriously underestimates the collectors in their sales because all I ever hear is how kids are scooping these figures and vehicles up, but I've never had to compete with any kids for most of what I'm looking for, and the EU stuff that Hasbro says kids wont touch, is hardly ever around on pegs or shelves, while probably a good chunk of the kid-friendly stuff sits for some time. At least that's how it usaully is in my area.

I guess it depends on where you are. When I was living in Alamogordo, New Mexico (which was an Air Force town), you almost never saw kids in the Star Wars section, unless it was within 3 or 4 weeks of one of the movie's release.

Here in central Illinois which is mostly made up of farming communities, I see more kids rifling through the Star Wars figures than collectors and the EU stuff tends to sit for a long time. Which is why I remember wave 5 pegwarming so badly around here in 2007.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I guess it depends on where you are. When I was living in Alamogordo, New Mexico (which was an Air Force town), you almost never saw kids in the Star Wars section, unless it was within 3 or 4 weeks of one of the movie's release.

Here in central Illinois which is mostly made up of farming communities, I see more kids rifling through the Star Wars figures than collectors and the EU stuff tends to sit for a long time. Which is why I remember wave 5 pegwarming so badly around here in 2007.

Sure location is key. I live in northern Indiana and there are several rural areas and small towns around me but I never see too many kids looking for SW. Guess it just depends where you're at.

Weird to hear about wave 5 pegwarming. Aside from Hermie Odle and 3-PO not too many of the EU were around for more that a few hours.

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 04:05 PM
I think the Wave 5 EU figures moved quickly for three reasons.

One, I know that Grievous, Revan, and Malak were shortpacked. I think the others were as well. Wave 5 had a lot of figures.

Two, far more people watched Clone Wars than read any SW novel or comic. So more people recognized Nelvaan Anakin, Roron Corobb, and Yoda with his Kybuck than, say, Koffi Arana.

Three, even if someone doesn't know the circumstances, a different Anakin, a cool Yoda on a mount, a Hammerhead Jedi, and a Grievous before something happened to put him in an iron lung look cool. (I think Grievous is easily the best of the wave, even considering Hermi, and I was totally going to pass on him until I found one in the wild and couldn't resist.) I imagine many people bought at least one of those without knowing anything about the stories they came from.

Tycho
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
I look at SW collecting demographics on the main fan site forums.

You have the highest likelihood of being a SW collector if you are within plus or minus 10 years of being about 30 years of age, and live within 150 miles of Los Angeles.

Either that, or that "intraweb-thing" hasn't proliferated to all parts of the country yet and they are still implimenting the outhouse and telegraph machines somewhere.

But when I was hospitalized and expected to pass away the other year, my uncle (about 60 years old now and from Chicago) hated all my "Star Wars junk" and put my collection, including my dioramas I worked so hard on, all in storage. I couldn't walk or even stay awake, so what was I going to do about it?

My stuff was probably saved by a very influential friend of his who's a Star Wars fan himself (and from California, though likely closer to 60 years old as well). I'm sure he told my uncle not to get rid of it all, sell it, or donate it, but save it for me in case I recovered). I know my uncle would have liked to have dumped all that stuff.

Again, he's 60 not 30, and not from Los Angeles. I'm not saying you can't be from somewhere else and like SW, or that you have to be a young adult - you can be a kid or middle-age or senior as well. I'm just saying that by the forum registration here, and at Rebelscum at least, many members are about30 years old and live near Los Angeles.

Kidhuman
01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I think the Wave 5 EU figures moved quickly for three reasons.

One, I know that Grievous, Revan, and Malak were shortpacked. I think the others were as well. Wave 5 had a lot of figures.

Two, far more people watched Clone Wars than read any SW novel or comic. So more people recognized Nelvaan Anakin, Roron Corobb, and Yoda with his Kybuck than, say, Koffi Arana.

Three, even if someone doesn't know the circumstances, a different Anakin, a cool Yoda on a mount, a Hammerhead Jedi, and a Grievous before something happened to put him in an iron lung look cool. (I think Grievous is easily the best of the wave, even considering Hermi, and I was totally going to pass on him until I found one in the wild and couldn't resist.) I imagine many people bought at least one of those without knowing anything about the stories they came from.

Wave 5 case assortment was 1 of each figure:

Roran Corrob
Hermie Odle
McLeia
Yoda/Kybuck
Anakin
Grievous
Malak
Revan
3Po and Crumb

It also had an airborne trooper, McVader, Stormtrooper in it. It was pretty evenly packed, another reason why it sold through quickly.

aussietrooper20
01-22-2008, 07:48 PM
I just went to the forums page on rebelscum.com and saw all 7 force unleashed figures carded in the 2008 wave 2 topic.

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Either that, or that "intraweb-thing" hasn't proliferated to all parts of the country yet and they are still implimenting the outhouse and telegraph machines somewhere.

The internet is pretty much everywhere now. In fact, just about every farmer I know has a computer with internet access out on their farm and they seem to spend a lot of time on ebay looking at old tractors. Most places still only have a dial-up connection, but satellite internet is readily available for those willing to pay for it.

When you see local farmers driving a combine, harvesting their crops, while talking on their cell phones, then you know that the "digital age" has pretty much reached everyone.:yes:

I was actually a little caught off guard by how popular Star Wars was with kids out here. I just moved to central Illinois a little over a year ago and I kind of assumed that a pure "escapist fantasy" like Star Wars would be frowned upon in these rural midwestern areas. But I saw several parents around Christmas-time (many of them looking like they had just stepped off of a deerstand) searching through the Star Wars figures looking for gifts for their kids.

Jargo
01-23-2008, 09:46 AM
just as a rare post, getting back to the original subject, I want more female characters turned into figures but not in the bad way like Juno Eclipse or the thirty thousand ANH Leia's.
Yarna would be good. an articulated Oola. any cantina chick. Outlander club patrons. senators. senatorial aides. I think those of us who would like these characters have waited patiently for long enough and suffered the deluge of clonetroopers and endless Tatooine Luke's. now is the time to tap into the mindset of the clonetrooper geek fan and shove some hot chick figures out there to alow them to feel fulfilled by female form in 3 3/4 inch scale.
one female figure every quarter isn't going to kill the line or dent sales too much considering how certain figures pegwarm and don't really affect sales.

I just hope Yarna doesn't end up in a Jabba's palace band set with a bunch of figures people already have. Should twin he with another popular character. hell maybe even that articulated Oola. or how about with a new Jabba. and Jabba's dias. kill three birds with one nice box set.

Tycho
01-23-2008, 06:22 PM
I'll agree with a lot of what Jargo said here.

I want more female characters turned into figures but not in the bad way like Juno Eclipse or the thirty thousand ANH Leia's.

Yes:

AOTC Beru
ESB Torynn Far
ROTJ Yarna
AOTC Nyrat Agira (spelling)
AOTC Jocasta Nu
AOTC Queen Jamilla
TPM Queen Amidalas x-3 that have never been made
AOTC Senator Amidalas x 12 or so that have never been made
ROTS Senator Amidalas x 8 or so that have never been made
ANH - Tonnika Sisters
TPM - Sei Teria (Valorum's aide)

Then there's the EU

Yuuzhan Vong shaper
Jaina Solo x 3 different outfits
Winter x 2 or more different outfits
Princess Leia x 3 or more different outfits
Tahiri Veila
Siri Tachi
Ysanne Isard
Admiral Daala
Guri
Mara Jade Skywalker
Nomi Sunrider
Vima Sunrider

There's a lot that could be done.

I think those of us who would like these characters have waited patiently for long enough and suffered the deluge of clonetroopers and endless Tatooine Luke's.

Yes.

one female figure every quarter isn't going to kill the line or dent sales too much considering how certain figures pegwarm and don't really affect sales.

And some won't pegwarm. You can pack Torynn Far with a gun for example. She likely uses one. We know Guri does. And many of the EU ladies use lightsabers! Weapons hold kid-appeal moreso than Padme's drinking glass. (Why didn't they pack her with plastic fruit? ;) )

I just hope Yarna doesn't end up in a Jabba's palace band set with a bunch of figures people already have.

Yup.

Should twin he with another popular character. hell maybe even that articulated Oola. or how about with a new Jabba. and Jabba's dias. kill three birds with one nice box set.

Maybe a slave Leia that can lie down, or that's less a figure and more a prop with articulated arms and head or something. I'd accept the Jabba if he came with the throne dias. That's a good idea. Just Oola? No thanks, in my opinion. It goes back to what you said before about "a bunch of figures we already have." I realize Oola isn't "a bunch." But she is a figure I already have and there's nothing wrong with the 2 I purchased (in '97 or '98 I think???) So I don't need another Oola. Plus Hasbro (and Dark Horse for that matter) have been Twi'lek-chick happy ever since the '98 Oola:

Shaaka
Aayla Secura (who's arguably a cool character -but has 3 figures I think?)
that Outlander Twi'lek chick - forgot her name
Oola of course

There are other attractive alien women, if that's what they're going for. How about Jeisel the female Devaronian Jedi? Yuuzhan Vong females - many are Shapers which are very visually interesting as they have to cut their hands off and replace them with weird bio-technology. Guri is in her own right great. Padme has many movie outfits. And Leia has many EU outfits, let alone her daughter Jaina.

Instead, we know we'll get Darth Talon (from Legacy EU - a Sith tattoo'd Twi'lek chick of course). That'll be the 5th one or I forgot another lady Twi'lek somewhere.