PDA

View Full Version : New Qui-Gon figure

rdrunr89
02-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Interesting tidbit about the new Qui-Gon figure. In looking thru the POTJ picture archive on SSG, I noticed a scrapped two pack of Qui-Gon vs Battle Droid. That Qui-Gon is amazingly in the same pose and the new one just a different colored lightsaber. Does this mean Hasbro is using scrapped figures to sell seperately?? Would they do something like that??? NAH... (sarcasm big time)

here is the link to the old POTJ Qui-Gon vs Battle Droid...

http://www.myfigures.com/pa/index.html?item_id=11830

just in case you haven't seen the new one:

http://www.tradefederation.net/pages/features/toyfair2002/album/img/0379.jpg

General Veers
02-12-2002, 03:30 PM
I think that the Qui-Gon is a nice sculpt, but not really needed at this time.

OC47150
02-12-2002, 03:36 PM
I'm surprised to see a new Qui-Gon being released!

JetsAndHeels
02-12-2002, 03:43 PM
How about a defeated Qui Gon figure? Yeah, that would be new!!
It could come with a drill so you could make a hole in his chest where Maul stabbed him...Yeah, and it could have that "oh sh*t"
look on his face when he drops to his knees. Yeah, a defeated Qui Gon figure....Maybe a "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" Obi Wan could be packed in as well.

OC47150
02-12-2002, 03:49 PM
I've seen where guys have made a custom 'you got me, Maul' Qui-Gon. I've thought about making one, too.

Beast
02-12-2002, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by OC47150
I'm surprised to see a new Qui-Gon being released!

It's not much of a suprise. If you look at his face and especially his beard and mustace he appears younger then he did in Episode 1. Instead of a full beard, he looks to have more of a goatee look. Definatly not the same way he looked in Episode 1. Also notice his lightsaber, different hilt as well as color. Either hasbro screwed up big time, or the figure is based on the scene in Episode II when they go into the Jedi Archives and call up information about Count Dooku.

Qui-Gon and Dooku will appear together in a holo-recording in the Jedi Archives. He is the thread that connects Dooku to the story. Currently it's thought that Qui was once Dooku's padawan, and that explains the younger look of the figure, as well as the blue lightsaber. My theroy on the blue green lightsaber thing is that only jedi's that recieve a special honor can carry a green saber. It adds some ranking in sabers colorwise. Also explains why Mace, head of the council has a special color, purple.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

OC47150
02-12-2002, 04:12 PM
Good points, Jar Jar, but take a closer look at the new Qui-Gon. His hair has that faded/lighted gray look to it, like some of TPM Qui-Gons did. Remember, Qui-Gon is in his mid-60s in PM.

As for the beard, it looks like it wasn't fully painted on. A rushed prototype for Toy Fair? I don't know.

We can only wait.

JEDIpartner
02-12-2002, 04:14 PM
This is INDEED the scrapped set Qui-Gon. Strange that it would suddenly appear on a card... especially since it is such a poorly sculpted figure.

General Veers
02-12-2002, 04:52 PM
JJB, that also explains why Yoda also has a Green Lightsaber.

rdrunr89
02-12-2002, 08:36 PM
JJB, interesting theory. Never really thought about it, but you probably are right although I doubt GL would ever admit to it. Sounds good to me though.

GNT
02-12-2002, 11:35 PM
They are the same,this is an Episode 1 Qui Gon,they probably didn't have Qui-Gons lightsaber around when they were packing up to go to Toy Fair and just grabbed a blue one instead.

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 05:12 PM
I agree JangoFett96. I'd like to see that set also. How about a holographic Maul? We already have Palpatine, why not Maul to go along with him?

LTBasker
02-13-2002, 05:34 PM
Remember that Wal-Mart exlcusive holo Maul that still haunts various Wal-Marts? ;)

SithDroid
02-13-2002, 07:10 PM
I don't mean that version. A regular one like the holo Darth Sidious that is impossible to find without the light up base.