PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl cape Jawa?

vader121
01-22-2008, 10:28 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-Wars-Collector-Case-Figures-1977-1980-Weapons_W0QQitemZ190191233984QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50 271QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Does this include an authentic vinyl cape Jawa?

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 11:37 AM
Honestly, if it's a loose figure, then it's pretty much impossible to tell.

However, looking at that specific auction, it appears that you're dealing with someone who really doesn't know anything about Star Wars. With the mixing and matching of the figures in that case, I would be inclined to believe that it is a genuine VC Jawa that has been lumped in with the rest.

But then again, the Ben Kenobi figure has a Tusken Raider cape on, so who really knows?

If you can win the auction cheap enough, then at the very least you will have a nice SW case and a very convincing repro-cape VC Jawa.

LusiferSam
01-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I don't have a clue. The cape looks to be the right color and size. The cape should conform to the body better. Nearly all real vinyl capes I've seen conform to the body. Unless this one has been reversed or flattened it sticks out pretty straight. The close up photos are so blurry. Blurry photos of a rare item are a red flag for me. With a piece like this I'd buy it under the assumption it's a fake and then try to prove it otherwise.

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Wasn't Ben's cape and the VC Jawa cape made from the same material? I remember hearing that the easiest way to fake a VC Jawa was to just cut it out of Ben's cape. The fact that that Ben is missing his original cape would probably be another big red flag.

vader121
01-22-2008, 12:31 PM
I heard that the Ben and Jawa cape were not made from the same material. Pay attention to the explanation by the seller on the inside texture. Is that the texture of the real Jawa cape?

I already have a fake Jawa with vinyl cape but would like to get a real one. This one may be too risky unless you all can help me out. The price is already at $86 which is high at this point so I think someone thinks it's real out there. What say you?

sjd9299
01-22-2008, 04:21 PM
This is the most faked vintage Star Wars item out there. Chances are it is not real. Ways to help tell. The cape color must match the plastic color of the Jawa figure, Ben's cape is too dark. The arm holes are small, Ben's are big. One side of the vinyl is smooth and the other side is rough with a cross-hatch pattern. This can be seen up close or better with a magnifiying glass.

So, it is hard to tell from the blurry pics if the arm holes are indeed small, they look to be. It is also hard to tell the color of the cape, again due to the poor photography. The seller says the cross-hatching is there. If it is fake, it is a very good one. It might be real. There are no obvious fake signs.

http://www.rebelscum.com/VINtJawa.asp

Bel-Cam Jos
01-22-2008, 07:14 PM
This is the very reason why I shall never own one of these babies. Too tough to tell if it's faked, and too expensive to shell out the dough if it's real (which it STILL might not be). :(

DarthQuack
01-22-2008, 07:37 PM
I'll take a 100% cloth jawa anyday....keep the vinyl away!

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 08:44 PM
I would say to take the Jawa out of the equation and place your bid on everything else. This way if it's real, then you just got a great deal. If it's fake, then you haven't really lost anything.

Thunderbird
01-22-2008, 08:48 PM
It's hard to tell from the bad pics, but unless this seller is playing dumb I think it could be real. If the price stays low enough I might try for it to compare it to mine.

LusiferSam
01-22-2008, 10:23 PM
This can be seen up close or better with a magnifiying glass.

Or felt by your finger nail. From what I know (and have seen) all vintage vinyl is the same, smooth on one side and cross-hatched on the other. I've seen a mix of which is inside and which is outside. My Vader (my since childhood with the cape never removed) is a smooth inside, but the Bespin Leia cape (the only one you can truly tell inside from out) has a smooth outside.

Wasn't Ben's cape and the VC Jawa cape made from the same material? I remember hearing that the easiest way to fake a VC Jawa was to just cut it out of Ben's cape. The fact that that Ben is missing his original cape would probably be another big red flag.

True. But that's why you look at the color. Ben's cape is the same color as his body, a reddish brown. And the Jawa's cape is the same color as his body, more tan. In this case the color looks right. As does the shape, most importantly around the arm holes. So this isn't a cut down Ben cape.

Again I'd assume it's a fake. Just because one fool thinks it's real doesn't mean it is. I've seen a number sellers who act like they don't anything, hoping to score, scam, or otherwise cheat. At the end of the day it's your call.

bigbarada
01-22-2008, 11:11 PM
If you look at this photo:
http://www.rebelscum.com/photo.asp?image=/vintage/vintagejawacapescomp.jpg

You can actually see that the vinyl cape could be cut completely out of Ben's cape without using Ben's armholes and new armholes could be made. Plus you can see that there are two colors to the vinyl cape. The one that matches the color of Ben's cape is actually the Australian version (supposedly carded examples have been found, so it's likely not a fake).

vader121
01-23-2008, 02:08 PM
Well, at least a few people thought it was legit as the auction ended for over $430. Too rich for me.

msjedi
02-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Auction is back up 190196421982

El Chuxter
02-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I got mine carded, so I know it's real.

(Just kidding. All my Jawas were the cloth version, and the cloth capes are long gone.)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-04-2008, 10:08 PM
I got mine carded, so I know it's real.Carded? Real? I've got two words for you, Chux: Mc Lovin. They can be faked, I'd bet. :p

gspurr
02-14-2008, 02:33 PM
I have a vinyl caped Jawa and was wondering the best way to sell it. I don't seem to have the gun any more, but I know %100 for sure that it is real as I actually remember buying it as a kid and being somewhat annoyed when the cloth Jawas came out--I thought they looked better.

I know selling it will be tough as there are so many fakes out there. I live in Toronto. Does anyone know if there any places in Toronto where I could get it verified as authentic? I'm not a collector, so it doesn't hold that much value to me (outside of sentimental value and knowing that I have something of value to collectors).

omnithx
02-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I know from personal experience that these little monkeys are hard to autheticate. I have sold three vinyl caped jawas over the last two years on ebay and everytime someone would say I was a cheat and faking them. Mine were all Australian, thus the colour of the cape is even closer to that of Obi-Wan's. All I can recommend is lots of detailed photos of the arm holes, those little blue dots that appear on the legs and arms of the Jawa and try to get a good shot of that tiny cross-hatching pattern on the inside of the cape. Good Luck.