PDA

View Full Version : I officially no longer respect the Oscars

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 11:31 AM
I was hanging by a thread before, but this cinches it:

Animated Feature Film: "Persepolis"; "Ratatouille"; "Surf's Up."

No TMNT? I'm not saying it should win, but it pushed the limits of animation to lengths of realism that have not been touched before. I believed the Raphael vs Leonardo scene more than anything in the Star Wars prequels.

Ratatouille would've beaten it, of course, and deservedly so.

Now, the journey that began when that turd-cuddler Eminenema won an Oscar over U2 (and before Burton or Depp) is complete. I officially no longer give a poop.

That indecipherable mess of special effects in Transformers getting a nod as potentially the "best" certainly didn't help their case.

stillakid
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
I officially no longer respect the Oscars

It took you this long? :sur:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-22-2008, 11:54 AM
For a complete list of oscar nods, click here folks: http://www.oscar.com/nominees/

I feel like MICHAEL CLAYTON is this years "Film that got many nods but hardly anybody saw it" award.

Things I agree with:
Javier Bardem for 'No country'- he was genius in that film.
Casey Affleck for "Jesse James"- again, a terrific performance
Ellen Page- "Juno"- again, well deserved nomination
Best song: "Falling slowly" from 'once'- great nod! I was just listening to that soundtrack last night. I love that flick.
Juno, and No country up for best film- I haven't seen 'there will be blood' yet primarily because of all of the hooplah surrounding it thanks to PT Anderson fan boys, but maybe this weekend or so.

Things I disagree with:
No Brad pit for "Jesse James?!!?!!?!" BS!
Johnny Depp for "Sweeney Todd?" Now, granted, i haven't seen the film, so i'm taking out my ***, but c'mon, the demon barber?!?!
What, no nods for "Zodiac?!?!?!" That was one of the better films of 2007.
:thumbsup:

General_Grievous
01-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Johnny Depp for "Sweeney Todd?" Now, granted, i haven't seen the film, so i'm taking out my ***, but c'mon, the demon barber?!?!

He deserves an Oscar. "Sweeney Todd" was a great film (I would know, I'm the only one here who saw it. Shame on all of you guys. :mad: ) and I hope he wins. Daniel Day-Lewis already has, like, 80 of them. He doesn't need another one. As for Best Picture, I'm hoping "No Country" wins, but overall this year's nominees are mainly "meh".

2-1B
01-22-2008, 10:43 PM
I can't believe Brothers Solomon got shut out, so I have to agree with Chux's position.

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Depp and Burton both should've received Oscars long ago. Their first nomination each should have been for Edward Scissorhands. Burton should've won for Big Fish, no question in my mind.

TeeEye7
01-22-2008, 11:33 PM
Pssst! Hollywood always has an agenda, people!

stillakid
01-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Pssst! Hollywood always has an agenda, people!

Yeah, it's called money.

BountyHunterScum
01-23-2008, 01:40 PM
It took you this long? :sur:

Yeah really, I lost all respect for hollyweird years ago. It's still gonna take a miracle to wake the rest of america out of that coma.

General_Grievous
01-23-2008, 01:53 PM
They still somewhat know what they're doing, as they gave "The Departed" the Best Picture Oscar last year.

stillakid
01-23-2008, 03:34 PM
Yeah really, I lost all respect for hollyweird years ago. It's still gonna take a miracle to wake the rest of america out of that coma.

I honestly never really have paid much attention to it. Any "award" is really just a marketing device to sell more tickets as well as being more leverage for the winners to command more money. Whether the awards really go to the most deserving is a by-product of the overall purpose. I mean, unless something is judged with something quantitative, such as ticket sales, it's all pretty much arbitrary and subjective anyway. That's why a place like AFI releases their "Top 100 Whatever" lists every year. It's just a bunch of schmoes sitting in a room tossing together their own opinions regarding "whatever." A list like that keeps their organization in the public consciousness and presumably keeps them "relevant" (whatever that means) while "fans" get to grumble and disagree and discuss the list and/or awards.

It's all marketing to sell more tickets, issues, books, tvs, etc. Silliness in the end that helps to keep a lot of us employed. :yes:

BountyHunterScum
01-23-2008, 03:40 PM
I honestly never really have paid much attention to it. Any "award" is really just a marketing device to sell more tickets as well as being more leverage for the winners to command more money. Whether the awards really go to the most deserving is a by-product of the overall purpose. I mean, unless something is judged with something quantitative, such as ticket sales, it's all pretty much arbitrary and subjective anyway. That's why a place like AFI releases their "Top 100 Whatever" lists every year. It's just a bunch of schmoes sitting in a room tossing together their own opinions regarding "whatever." A list like that keeps their organization in the public consciousness and presumably keeps them "relevant" (whatever that means) while "fans" get to grumble and disagree and discuss the list and/or awards.

It's all marketing to sell more tickets, issues, books, tvs, etc. Silliness in the end that helps to keep a lot of us employed. :yes:

Send them a photo of a pile of crap and they'll give it 5 out of 5 stars.

stillakid
01-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Send them a photo of a pile of crap and they'll give it 5 out of 5 stars.

That depends on which celebrity sh** it out for the photo.

BountyHunterScum
01-23-2008, 03:54 PM
That depends on which celebrity sh** it out for the photo.

I meant any pile, not necessarily human.

Rocketboy
01-23-2008, 04:01 PM
They still somewhat know what they're doing, as they gave "The Departed" the Best Picture Oscar last year.And Crash before that, so they screw up in good ways every now and then.