PDA

View Full Version : Real stuff in original films is annoying.

stillakid
01-22-2008, 05:49 PM
After having the pleasure of experiencing the wonders of full CG sets and some characters, I'm finding that watching the OT films is annoying with all of those real sets for the actors to work in and all of those irritating real Stormtroopers running around. If I wanted something to look real, I wouldn't go to the movies. I think Lucas should redo the OT and get rid of all that annoying real stuff! :mad:

El Chuxter
01-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Rrrrrrrimshot!!

2-1B
01-22-2008, 07:21 PM
Those fake TIE fighters should be replaced with Buicks.

stillakid
01-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Those fake TIE fighters should be replaced with Buicks.

I think it was a '57 Chevy, wasn't it? :confused:

TeeEye7
01-22-2008, 10:29 PM
I think it was a '57 Chevy, wasn't it? :confused:

Nope. It was the left-over '55 Opie and Toad drove in American Grafitti.

bigbarada
01-23-2008, 01:14 AM
And who uses real actors anymore? Real actors get old and fat and are always asking for things like paychecks and food. Digital actors are the only way to go. You can do whatever you want to them and they just sit there and take it.

stillakid
01-23-2008, 01:26 AM
And who uses real actors anymore? Real actors get old and fat and are always asking for things like paychecks and food. Digital actors are the only way to go. You can do whatever you want to them and they just sit there and take it.

Oh you reminded me....and writers too! The original films were clearly written by trained professionals in the WGA. Irritating. :mad:

bigbarada
01-23-2008, 01:42 AM
Oh you reminded me....and writers too! The original films were clearly written by trained professionals in the WGA. Irritating. :mad:

Yes, definitely. Pop culture and focus groups should generate the plots of movies from now on. Because we all know that writing is a democratic process, not a creative one.

Plus we already have over 100 years of past films, which can be just broken down into plot elements and then downloaded into a database. Then a computer program could just randomly recombine elements from every popular film ever made and you have an instant hit-movie factory!

It's brilliant!:thumbsup:

stillakid
01-23-2008, 02:04 AM
Yes, definitely. Pop culture and focus groups should generate the plots of movies from now on. Because we all know that writing is a democratic process, not a creative one.

Plus we already have over 100 years of past films, which can be just broken down into plot elements and then downloaded into a database. Then a computer program could just randomly recombine elements from every popular film ever made and you have an instant hit-movie factory!

It's brilliant!:thumbsup:

You mean this?: http://www.masterfreelancer.com/wsstore/ssi001.html

bigbarada
01-23-2008, 02:08 AM
You mean this?: http://www.masterfreelancer.com/wsstore/ssi001.html

DANGIT!!! :upset: So much for the millions I was going to make marketing this idea.:cry:

(Seriously, though, is that for real? That's kind of scary.)

El Chuxter
01-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Call me nuts, but I'm betting that sort of "tool" is for people who are lacking either the training or the talent to actually write stories.

I'm willing to go so far as to say it's probably less effective or reliable than snake oil.

bigbarada
01-23-2008, 02:30 AM
Call me nuts, but I'm betting that sort of "tool" is for people who are lacking either the training or the talent to actually write stories.

I'm willing to go so far as to say it's probably less effective or reliable than snake oil.

But it's endorsed by Wes Craven, how could you go wrong?

El Chuxter
01-23-2008, 02:34 AM
Yousa point well seen. Wes Craven cannot possibly be wrong. So all my professors must've been full of dookie.

CaptainSolo1138
01-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Yes, definitely. Pop culture and focus groups should generate the plots of movies from now on. Because we all know that writing is a democratic process, not a creative one.It seems to work well for "Scary Movie", whatever the hell the teen one was called, the stupid sports one and without a doubt "Meet the Spartans". I prefer my movies to be watchable, not simply just trying to capitalize on fads that are three years old.

stillakid
01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
It seems to work well for "Scary Movie", whatever the hell the teen one was called, the stupid sports one and without a doubt "Meet the Spartans". I prefer my movies to be watchable, not simply just trying to capitalize on fads that are three years old.

... or 20.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2008, 05:16 PM
It seems to work well for "Scary Movie", whatever the hell the teen one was called, the stupid sports one and without a doubt "Meet the Spartans". I prefer my movies to be watchable, not simply just trying to capitalize on fads that are three years old.
Pop culture references do not a movie make.

El Chuxter
01-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Tell that to Seth McFarlane.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-23-2008, 08:21 PM
Tell that to Seth McFarlane.
TV shows are one thing. Movies are quite another.

At least Family Guy does it well and makes jokes about pop culture that are actually funny. According to Meet the Spartans, showing the Chris Crocker video and having people laugh at it qualifies as humor. (Here's a hint: no it doesn't.)

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 10:53 PM
I think it was a '57 Chevy, wasn't it? :confused:1969 Buick Electra 225 with the license plate "KOELSCH", I used to have one, second-largest production car ever.

The real-world stuff in the OT always gets in the way and stands out, like all those damn ice cream makers.

stillakid
01-25-2008, 12:25 AM
The real-world stuff in the OT always gets in the way and stands out, like all those damn ice cream makers.

... and the story. If I wanted a good story, I'd pick up a classic book. I go to the movies for bright shiny objects and flashing lights. I need to be reminded of video games and comic books everywhere I go.

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 12:28 AM
Yeah, if I wanted to be reminded that the North Vietnamese used green tracer rounds while the US forces used red tracer rounds, I'd watch Apocalypse Now instead of Star Wars (unless Lucas had decided to direct AN instead of SW, then there'd be ewoks everywhere).

Deoxyribonucleic
01-25-2008, 12:33 AM
at least he got rid of his goiter, now that was a horrible 'real' thing to look at!

hopefully i'm not cursing myself to get a goiter

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 12:36 AM
That's not a nice thing to call his ex-wife. :p

omnithx
02-13-2008, 11:17 PM
I go to the movies for bright shiny objects and flashing lights.

Being part magpie, the same applies to myself. I also bring my LED laser pen and shine it on the screen randomly for everyones enjoyment. Reality is so passe.

JON9000
02-19-2008, 06:15 PM
I'm such a fool for the OT that I even have a soft spot for the vaseline "force field" used to make the old Landspeeder float in Mos Eisley. So, I guess, no, I don't find the "real" stuff in the OT annoying. I find it charming, in a bizarre way.

CaptainSolo1138
02-19-2008, 09:16 PM
I'm such a fool for the OT that I even have a soft spot for the vaseline "force field" used to make the old Landspeeder float in Mos Eisley. So, I guess, no, I don't find the "real" stuff in the OT annoying. I find it charming, in a bizarre way.Whatever. I'm so sick of you apologists.;)

:thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
02-19-2008, 10:27 PM
After having the pleasure of experiencing the wonders of full CG sets and some characters, I'm finding that watching the OT films is annoying with all of those real sets for the actors to work in and all of those irritating real Stormtroopers running around. If I wanted something to look real, I wouldn't go to the movies. I think Lucas should redo the OT and get rid of all that annoying real stuff! :mad:

I agree 110%, as long as we are at it insert an 'old' Ewen to play the role of Obi Wan.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-19-2008, 10:54 PM
I agree 110%, as long as we are at it insert an 'old' Ewen to play the role of Obi Wan.

Well I'll be dipped in s**t, you're back! :thumbsup: My only MASH buddy, gone, just gone :cry:

;)

Glad you are back!

2-1B
02-19-2008, 11:02 PM
Cappy has a soft spot for Vaseline, too, but nothing related to Landspeeders. :thumbsup:

JimJamBonds
02-19-2008, 11:11 PM
Well I'll be dipped in s**t, you're back! :thumbsup: My only MASH buddy, gone, just gone :cry:

;)

Glad you are back!

Only because I knew you'd be posting tonight 'Ox! :lipsrsealed:

CaptainSolo1138
02-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Cappy has a soft spot for Vaseline, too, but nothing related to Landspeeders. :thumbsup:You got that right. But lately I've been more fond of water-based products.

2-1B
02-20-2008, 05:17 PM
Ah yes. Makes clean up a snap. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Well I'll be dipped in s**t, you're back! :thumbsup: My only MASH buddy, gone, just gone :cry: What the...? I've seen every episode of M*A*S*H like a thousand times! Thanks, BUDDY! (said in a Han to Lando manner :p)

Deoxyribonucleic
02-20-2008, 11:22 PM
What the...? I've seen every episode of M*A*S*H like a thousand times! Thanks, BUDDY! (said in a Han to Lando manner :p)

WHY haven't you told me this?? I just used a MASH quote the other day, it was perfect! I have a job editing and I sent in some of my finished product, they liked it alot and said how fast it came back and I replied..."You'll pretty much find I'm all business." It was great, it was great!

JT, why you gotsa be a man? ;)

2-1B
02-21-2008, 01:19 AM
He's JT.

That's how he rolls.

El Chuxter
02-21-2008, 08:24 AM
My hero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Hama) played a Korean soldier in an episode of MASH.

darthvyn
02-21-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm such a fool for the OT that I even have a soft spot for the vaseline "force field" used to make the old Landspeeder float in Mos Eisley. So, I guess, no, I don't find the "real" stuff in the OT annoying. I find it charming, in a bizarre way.

psh... original trilogy lover :rolleyes:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-21-2008, 01:22 PM
My hero (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Hama) played a Korean soldier in an episode of MASH.

A North Korean soldier that kidnaps Frank Burns :thumbsup: I had no idea he was "Larry Hama" until just now. I knew the name, but not the face.

JON9000
02-21-2008, 03:30 PM
psh... original trilogy lover :rolleyes:

I know, I know, I allow a childhood fancy to override all taste. Imagine that.

JediTricks
02-21-2008, 04:22 PM
WHY haven't you told me this?? I just used a MASH quote the other day, it was perfect! I have a job editing and I sent in some of my finished product, they liked it alot and said how fast it came back and I replied..."You'll pretty much find I'm all business." It was great, it was great!

JT, why you gotsa be a man? ;)It always comes down to chromosomes with you lezbots, doesn't it? ;)

And I did mention it, during the conversation about the state park in the Santa Monica mountains where they filmed the exteriors.

A North Korean soldier that kidnaps Frank Burns :thumbsup: I had no idea he was "Larry Hama" until just now. I knew the name, but not the face.Frank Burns? I hear he eats worms. Or so say the secret messages hidden in GI Joe file cards. (The secret message in the Atari game just says he's a ferret-face.)