PDA

View Full Version : Best Exclusive Figure of 2007

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 08:14 PM
Continuing the "best of 2007" poll series...

Which do you consider is the best exclusive figure of 2007?

2007 had a number of exclusive figure-themed exclusives (separate from the multipack-themed exclusive figures and vehicle-themed exclusive figures, although the Shadow Scout is included here as it was an unusual entry), some of which fell into a popular main line's sub-theme, so we wouldn't want to leave those out. There were a few 2-pack figures, they're being counted as 1 figure the way the main line's 2-packs (Salacious & 3PO, Ewoks, Jawa & LIN droid) were counted as a single entry.

You can use whatever criteria you wish for voting such as sculpt, packaging, coins, price, venue, etc.. It's entirely up to you.

Keep in mind that you must be logged into the forums to vote.

bigbarada
01-24-2008, 08:23 PM
Concept Luke, that is one cool figure. :cool: Doesn't have all the articulation it could but still really well done, especially considering how past "convention exclusives" have usually been repaints or kitbashes.

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah, that was my close second choice. They really nailed the concept's look, but I wanted a little more articulation to pull off that awesome artwork's pose. That, and the figure was too much money IMO.

My vote went to concept R2 & 3PO, the latter is a little dodgy coming from multiple art sources rather than that specific poster, but he's still cool. R2 though is spot-on, he's one of the best droids we've ever gotten. Plus, this was probably the easiest of the convention-exclusive sets to get and a fairer deal at $20 (heck, it even came with an alternate cardback!).

Kidhuman
01-24-2008, 08:49 PM
I went with Concept Luke here. I only got the MCQ figs and R2-KT on this list.

El Chuxter
01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
I'll be a minority of one, but the Shadow Scout. As sick as I am of "Shadow" everything, that figure is beautiful in the box.

jediguy
01-24-2008, 09:17 PM
R2-KT

'nuff said

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 10:11 PM
I'll be a minority of one, but the Shadow Scout. As sick as I am of "Shadow" everything, that figure is beautiful in the box.
Naturally, that's the ONLY item I brought back from SDCC that got mangled (the box). :ermm:

Deoxyribonucleic
01-25-2008, 01:29 AM
i went with concept r2 and threepio because it was done after one of the most iconic mcquarrie paintings, luke is an extremely close second!

Slicker
01-25-2008, 02:01 AM
I voted for R2 and 3PO only because VOTC Endor Leia wasn't an exclusive...:thumbsup:

sebillba
01-25-2008, 08:28 AM
Obi and Yoda for me, though more for Yoda than the old man.

jedi master sal
01-25-2008, 08:35 AM
It was between the droids and Luke for me. I didn't care much for the 3PO and ultimately felt the Luke figure was better. So that was my choice.

happy
01-25-2008, 11:07 AM
I don't know why but I loved the Grievous figure, so it got my vote.

Ji'dai
01-25-2008, 11:49 AM
I'm going to abstain from voting on this poll since I no longer buy or support exclusives. I'd like to have the McQuarrie figures listed here though; too bad Hasbro decided to **** on their customers by making them exclusives.

El Chuxter
01-25-2008, 11:54 AM
After some thought, shouldn't the Battlefront and Mandalorean figures be on this list?

CaptainSolo1138
01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
zomg!!!1! teh kanteena man!

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 04:37 PM
After some thought, shouldn't the Battlefront and Mandalorean figures be on this list?
No, I'm not including multipacks, that's a different can of worms IMO, they're not near the basic-level.

Jedi_Kal-El
01-25-2008, 05:41 PM
I went with McLuke. Of all the versions we got of him in TAC, he was the best IMO. Shadow Scout was a close second, and I agree with Chux that it's looks mighty nice in the package. 3-PO and R2 come in 3rd tied with R2-KT. Obi/Yoda were just ok, and Grievous I just thought was crap.

Snowtrooper
01-25-2008, 07:46 PM

I agree with you that the whole shadow concept is being done to death(how can a shadow AT-AT be stealthy). I also agree that the shadow scout and its bike look really good inside the package. I usually open up most of my figures(or plan to anyways), but this one looked too good to open up. So shadow scout gets my vote.

1. Shadow Scout
2. McQuarrie Luke-A close second. Looks pretty much like the picture on the package.
3. McQuarrie C3P0 & R2-D2-I like they way they both look, but for what we paid for these figures I wish they'd used vac-metal on 3P0.
4. McQuarrie Obi-Wan & Yoda-Nice additions to the McQuarrie line, but not the most exciting of the bunch.
5. Concept Greivous-Nice looking figure, but way overpriced, even for an exclusive.
6. R2-KT- A nice cause, but just a repaint. Still astro droids are always welcome.
7. Cantina Band Member-Just a repack. The base was supposed to play the cantina music so its more interesting than the figure is.

Mad Slanted Powers
01-25-2008, 08:14 PM
I chose Luke. It is one of the concept drawings that I remember seeing, and this figure looks pretty good. I was only able to get one, so I haven't opened it yet.

JediTricks
01-25-2008, 11:14 PM
The cantina figure's base does play the music, and it lights up. Including it was basically filler, but it has a few fans already.

I'm surprised at all the love for Luke, a good figure yes, but the majority of folks totally DUMPED on it for the exclusivity issue and price.

Cane_Adiss
01-26-2008, 10:34 AM
I haven't bought any of these actually as I usually don't buy exclusives. I voted R2 and 3PO tho because of all of these those are the ones I'm most likely to buy eventually. I like the Grievous, but he was too expensive and I'm holding my breath that he will be re-released someday eventually via a Saga legends type thing.

bigbarada
01-26-2008, 01:23 PM
The cantina figure's base does play the music, and it lights up. Including it was basically filler, but it has a few fans already.

I'm surprised at all the love for Luke, a good figure yes, but the majority of folks totally DUMPED on it for the exclusivity issue and price.

I would say the the Cantina figures are the worst of the exclusive offered. Outdated sculpting, outdated articulation and the tin set is still shelf warming in some Wal-Marts I go to.

We really need a new SA Cantina band. It'd be easy for Hasbro to make carded, just make one SA figure like before with all of the instruments and a stool (for the guy who's sitting down). This way, if you want a five member band, then you buy five figures. If you want the full 7 member band, then you can buy seven figures.

So what does the sound chip play? Do they all just play the main Cantina song?

Jedi_Kal-El
01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
I would say the the Cantina figures are the worst of the exclusive offered. Outdated sculpting, outdated articulation and the tin set is still shelf warming in some Wal-Marts I go to.

We really need a new SA Cantina band. It'd be easy for Hasbro to make carded, just make one SA figure like before with all of the instruments and a stool (for the guy who's sitting down). This way, if you want a five member band, then you buy five figures. If you want the full 7 member band, then you can buy seven figures.

So what does the sound chip play? Do they all just play the main Cantina song?

I'd go for something like that BB. I got the tin set simply because I never got the mail-in band member, but yes they are in need of a resculpt, and the idea you've presented wouldn't be a bad one.

JediTricks
01-26-2008, 04:17 PM
We really need a new SA Cantina band. It'd be easy for Hasbro to make carded, just make one SA figure like before with all of the instruments and a stool (for the guy who's sitting down). This way, if you want a five member band, then you buy five figures. If you want the full 7 member band, then you can buy seven figures.Somehow, I don't see Hasbro giving the Modal Nodes the full SA spread. The head sculpt on the current figure is pretty good, it's just that body which is a major letdown.

So what does the sound chip play? Do they all just play the main Cantina song?Yeah, just 30 seconds or so of the main song.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-26-2008, 04:27 PM
Wow i agree with the masses! Concept Luke, which totally rocked the exclusive market, at least for me, the Grievous would be a nice runner up just because i like the look of the figure, but the luke is just a bad @$$ looking figure, i think it's the breath mask that makes him look menaceing.

jedibear
01-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Boy this was a tough one...so many of them were actually new and unique instead of just repainted clones and such.

I love the McQuarrie line and all three entries here were good solid additons to that line...but I went with that other concept figure...Grievous. He looked cool and really went well with the other cool figure of him, the Pre-Cyborg version. Between the two of these and the great GG bust one can have a thorough display of him.

pegger
01-27-2008, 08:12 AM
Luke... Great looking fig.

valin horn
01-27-2008, 03:17 PM
my vote is for the r2-kt just the meaning behind this figure being made should warrant all you're votes too

DarkArtist
01-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I voted for R2-KT because the proceeds of the figure went ot a good cause. While yes it was just another repainted R2 figure, this is the one figure I really wanted out of all the exclusives this year.

misosazai7
01-27-2008, 09:24 PM
I voted for the C-3PO & R2-D2 combo. I would have voted for Luke but for the dreadful color of his face (It didn't match his torso) which made him look like a corpse. I also think the R2-KT was the best concept they ever had for an exclusive.

jediguy
01-28-2008, 04:05 PM
my vote is for the r2-kt just the meaning behind this figure being made should warrant all you're votes too

thank you for articulating my thoughts on this so well

Jedi_Kal-El
01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I have to tend to agree with Chux on this matter. I bought R2-KT, and I thought the meaning behind it was more than well justified. My heart goes out to the family, and it's good that proceeds were put to a good cause. Does that mean I have to vote it as the best figure simply based on that? No, it does not.

JediTricks
01-28-2008, 05:24 PM
(I pulled the post he's referring to for being a little too inappropriately-expressed.)

(Also, to respond to something incorrect Chux said there, Hasbro wasn't giving part of the profits to charity, they made the donation in advance of whatever they sell, and thus they aren't making a profit on this piece no matter what.)

Deoxyribonucleic
01-28-2008, 05:29 PM
I have to tend to agree with Chux on this matter. I bought R2-KT, and I thought the meaning behind it was more than well justified. My heart goes out to the family, and it's good that proceeds were put to a good cause. Does that mean I have to vote it as the best figure simply based on that? No, it does not.

I wasn't going to say anything about this, but those of you who know me know I can't always keep my thoughts to myself :thumbsup: So, without further ado, I agree with Kal-El and Chux. While it was awesome that they made this figure for the family and that the sister came up with the idea, it's not that great of a figure. What makes a good figure in my opinion is one that sets it apart from the others for reasons to each individual. I chose the threepio and artoo because it really captures Star Wars for me and I love, love, love McQuarrie's artwork.

Second, my Mom just recently passed away from Breast cancer and no one made a figure for her but it's still a very, very sad thing, but I don't care that a figure wasn't made for her or others who have passed away from breast cancer. If someone did make a figure for her and it was a pink artoo from a mold that's been used over and over, I still wouldn't vote for it and my Mom would kick my a** if I did! Lots of us fans bought the figure, proceeds go for research...FANTASTIC, but that still doesn't make this exclusive the best figure for so many other reasons.

Each to their own in deciding what figure you like best. If you like and voted for the R2-KT for the reasons behind it, great! If you voted for a different figure for your own reasons, also great! But please, do not put a guilt trip on those of us who didn't vote for it, that's just ridiculous!

El Chuxter
01-28-2008, 05:41 PM
I didn't actually say they gave proceeds from R2-KT to charity. I've been correcting people all along on that. However, I simplified my statement... not that it matters now. :)

JediTricks
01-28-2008, 05:53 PM
No, what you insinuating is they "sell it for $20, and tell you that $0.05 of the proceeds from each [sold] is going to charity" which is not what they're doing. They're selling it for $20 and saying they're not making any money at all on it no matter what because they've already made the donation.

Anyway, I didn't pull your post because of what you were saying, just how you expressed it. If you wanna post it again without the references, that's fine.

Kidhuman
01-28-2008, 06:36 PM
I thought it was 10 bucks.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-28-2008, 07:17 PM
I thought it was 10 bucks.

dude, $9.99! Come on! ;)

I actually didn't even hear about this figure until I was in line to buy the shadow scout *shrugs But I did pick one up :thumbsup:

JediTricks
01-28-2008, 07:33 PM
$20, it has special 501st packaging, and the tampo printing on the back of the figure is very tight work - it's quite an accurate representation of the real R2-KT. We got a good look at both the real droid and the first shot figure at the CIV presentation, I asked Steve to shoot the back of the figure (http://photos.sirstevesguide.com/showphoto.php?photo=22594) on the assumption that they might have done something and sure enough it was all there, very impressive tampo work actually, Hasbro put a lot of effort into that I bet.

El Chuxter
01-28-2008, 11:02 PM
I think you're reading more into what I was saying than was intended. I was using an outlandish example to say (or hoping to say, at least) that repainting R2-D2 doesn't make the greatest figure of the year because a megacorporation gave money to a charity.

JediTricks
01-29-2008, 04:13 PM
Ok, but what you insinuated before was that they were selling this thing for $20 and giving merely 5 cents of that sale to charity, and that's the furthest thing from the case. If they sold 5,000 of these, each one's donation would be $20. That's all I'm saying, I'm not arguing that it's the greatest figure because of the meaning behind it.

bigbarada
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
The head sculpt on the current figure is pretty good, it's just that body which is a major letdown.

Seriously? Because I think the Galactic Heroes figure has a better head sculpt.

Yeah, just 30 seconds or so of the main song.

So they all play the exact same 30 second clip? That's lame.

JediTricks
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
I think the head is pretty decent.

There is no "they all", there's the 1 package and figure, the only difference is which instrument they are holding, so there's only the 1 base.