PDA

View Full Version : Who's read(ing) The Approaching Storm?

PloKoon2385
02-12-2002, 04:33 PM
I just finished it. I thought it was pretty good. There was a few little confusing parts but they were minor. It is cool to learn about Luminara and Bariss and Anakin.

El Chuxter
02-12-2002, 04:37 PM
I just started it. I'll let you know what I think when I'm further into it. So far, one of the better books of the entire line. But I expected no less from Mr "I wrote both the novelization of ANH and the very first EU book" himself.

Sidiously Darth
02-12-2002, 07:36 PM
I'm currently in the middle and I like it so far. I'm still waiting for the appearance of the person(?) behind all of this - maybe Palpatine?:eek: I'm sure theres is something much deeper that I haven't gotten to yet.:sur:

PloKoon2385
02-12-2002, 11:42 PM
Well......If you want to spoil that part, which it really isn't that important, I found out early, then look on the last page. That person is revealed on page 344. If you can wait til then go ahead, but they are not revealed at all until then.

Sidiously Darth
02-13-2002, 01:11 AM
I've got exactly 221 pages to go before the bid secret is out. Now there's even more anticipation!:crazed:

Rollo Tomassi
02-14-2002, 11:40 AM
It's not that big a secret if you know movie spoilers. When you get to the mastermind, you'll be "Like, Duh!" I only read the first three chapters, then put it down because I was in the middle of two other books at the time. Oh, but I read the last page, too!;)

PloKoon2385
02-14-2002, 04:47 PM
You didn't like it Rollo? I think that if you keep reading you'll enjoy it, I know it is a little obvious but once you get into it you can't stop and you learn alot about the characters.

2-1B
02-14-2002, 09:04 PM
I have dipped my toe in the EU pool - this is my first EU book since the Heir to the Empire books :)

I have enjoyed it so far, and I mistakenly noticed a certain name on the final page. I did already know before reading it that the person in question makes an appearance, and Rollo Tomassi is right that it will become strikingly obvious. It will be a nice treat to those staying spoiler free.

I don't know about this EU reading though - I just might catch the EU bug :p :p :p

Rollo Tomassi
02-15-2002, 08:09 AM
No, I'll finish it. But it's hard to fully appreciate a book when you are juggling three different ones at the same time. I am reading Stephen Ambrose's D-Day and I was also reading Bill McKibben's Age of Missing Information for a class. Since there was going to be a quiz on it, I thought I'd better concentrate on that instead of reading three books at once. So when I'm done with those two books, I'll start TAS.

Storm was so good, I inadvertantly opened it and before I knew it, I was on chapter three.

JEDIpartner
02-20-2002, 09:52 AM
I probably wont start reading it until this weekend. I accidentally saw the name on the last page as someone had slipped the dust jacket a couple pages into the back! :frus:

Oh, well.

THE Slayer
02-22-2002, 10:44 PM
I read TAS and liked most of it. I liked the interaction between the jedi, especially Luminara and Obi-wan, the could have something goin' on if it wasn't forbidden and all. I disliked the little asides from characters that are supposed to be "foreshadowing". Things like "I fear what Anakin will become yada yada..." I find them annoying.
I also like tooqui.

Sidiously Darth
02-24-2002, 01:33 AM
Well, I finished reading this the other day. I already had an idea in my head who's name would appear on the last page. And I was rewarded w/ a big box of nothing.:D

So with this bit of insight to the next movie and the trailers we've seen, will Darth Sidious make an appearance? I know Palpatine is starting to look a bit on the haggered side.

PloKoon2385
02-24-2002, 12:26 PM
I think so. I mean I can't imagine him NOT making an appearance somewhere, sometime in AOTC.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-12-2002, 01:31 PM
One of the benefits of not being called in to work, is that there is more time to read! Yippee! I read the first 100+ pages in about 2 hours yesterday, and may be able to finish the book today. So far, it's been okay, nothing great.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-13-2002, 07:05 PM
When not much reading you have recently done, read quickly will you do. ;) I finished TAS today, and I can sum it up in one word: okay...?

So this is an "exciting" lead-in to AOTC? How so? It was dull, and anticlimatic (ending the way I figured it would), unless you count the Star Wars Episode 2 character mentioned near the end of the book. The only parts I liked were the seemingly useless scenes where the Jedi show off their abilities for the natives. Foster described them pretty well, but aside from that, the book was hoe-hum. I'll stick with the Jedi Apprentice series, thank you.

Rollo Tomassi
03-13-2002, 10:09 PM
I expected more epic "planet-hopping" feel like Cloak of Deception. An okay read, but nowhere near the top of the EU list.

PloKoon2385
03-13-2002, 11:09 PM
I know it wasn't a real big action book, but it DID show us the type of character Anakin has become and also the relationship between him and Obi-Wan. We also get to learn about Luminara Unduli. I know it wasn't as good as some others, but it wasn't bad at all. I learned a lot from it. About the Jedi, their personalities, rules, and also we get to learn about another culture in the Star Wars universe.

JEDIpartner
03-15-2002, 03:54 PM
I've JUST gotten to start this at lunch today. I like the scene with the idiots pestering Barriss and Luminara. I just like the interaction between the two Jedi and Luminara's handling of the situation. I was quite entertained.

Cotasnoova
04-01-2002, 12:02 PM
I agre with the last two post. I think it was very cool to get an idea of how Anakin and Obi-wan have matured over the years. Of course I did want to "kill kill" that Tooque (spelling?) character.

2-1B
04-22-2002, 01:40 AM
Well, forgive me for saying the book was boring in some respects, my biggest complaint being the seemingly endless trek across the planet looking for the overclan.

As JEDIpartnr said, that harassment scene was cool. Quite neat how Luminara tells the thug that he knows how to find out what's under there.

The foul play at the end was exciting, with the impatient one being "dropped" from the conspiracy. I could have gone for more insight into their motivations.

About our mystery friend, maybe it would have worked for me if I didn't know who he was from spoilers. Not book spoilers, but the movie spoilers. Still, I didn't like reading about "the one behind this" or any other way they referred to him.

I guess it was worth the look, but I doubt I will ever read it again. Maybe I'm being too hard on it, there were other bits I liked - just not enough of them. But it did keep me entertained for awhile before the movie is released, so I am grateful for that.

BanthaPoodoo
04-27-2002, 11:59 PM
I'm with you Caeser it took them what felt like forever to find the overclan!

Then it just felt like the author got tired of writing the book & finished everything in a couple chapters compared to the endlessly long dull detailed 9 or so chapter trek!

(& that irritating little thing that Barriss took with her I could have done without too)

It was a good read, but like you said, I doubt I will read it again....

But its nice now have TPM, then, TAS, & now AOTC in hardback all 1st printings to start a SW Hardback set..... I just hope they will release ANH, ROTJ, & TESB, in hardback after SWEIII comes out to get a complete set.

Tycho
02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Greetings Lasers and Gamorreans,

I created a little set-up with my figures for The Approaching Storm mostly because I liked the idea of showing how a female Jedi Team worked and thought the Clone Wars figures of Anakin and Obi-Wan with their gear on would look good here. I also like to display new alien figures every chance I get to since "Rodians" started out as being my bad guys in every EU scene and now I've done a lot to balance that.

We got great figures with the updates from Jabba's Palace and the Mos Eisley Cantina, so I figure I'd put the whole thing together to some good use.
The Approaching Storm was on a "C" level for me as to quality of story, but again I got to make THIS:

BTW: I'll add some background and so forth to it later. This will some day be a peramanent set-up, but this is only a test-set I did on top of my Blockade Runner for a figure head-count. I may add Passal Argente in the shadows as "supervising all this" and "the elimination of those pesky Jedi!"