PDA

View Full Version : I went to toyfair - no luck

evenflow
02-12-2002, 04:40 PM
I was in New York today, and I stopped at the Hasbro building. There wasn't any security at the doors so i walked right in. I walked up to the desk and said I was a previous client, and wanted to open a new account again. They told me to call my old representative and I couldn't. They then said that they couldn't let me in because of appointments and all that. I then asked about the figure and they had no idea what I was talking about. I pointed out some guy who had one in his hand. I begged and pleaded for one but they wouldn't give it to me. I walked out depressed.

Dryanta
02-12-2002, 04:43 PM
nice try

General Veers
02-12-2002, 05:06 PM
That sucks, that Vader is really cool.:(

evenflow
02-12-2002, 06:20 PM
I figured I'd give it a shot. I hope I will get Vader sooner or later.

InsaneJediGirl
02-12-2002, 09:40 PM
Yeah,We'll all get one..:rolleyes:

Maybe,evenflow...you should have had a temper tantrum like
a 3 year old and demanded the figure...kicking and crying...
Just a thought:evil: ;)

evenflow
02-12-2002, 09:52 PM
I really thought about it. I tried flirting with the girl at the desk and that didnt work, crying was my next thought. :) I also thought about tackling a dealer that walked by me and take the Vader that was in his hand.

InsaneJediGirl
02-12-2002, 09:57 PM
LOL evenflow...Such great lengths for Vader!The Force
is strong with you:D

MisterPL
02-12-2002, 09:58 PM
Without the proper credentials and with security being as sensitive as it's been in NYC, I'm not surprised you couldn't get in. This isn't a Trek convention, after all. Not any geek can get in, only Very Important Geeks. ;)

Still, you could bid on this one. (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1704631040) Good luck!

GNT
02-12-2002, 10:18 PM
What you thought you were going to be let in? Ha!

Its been confirmed that the fan club will be selling them so no need to pay over $250 on Sirsteves auction :)

Emperor Howdy
02-13-2002, 12:32 AM
Wow! SirSteve is quite the Ebayer...I had no idea.

SirSteve
02-13-2002, 01:00 AM
When I posted this auction for a friend, there were NONE listed. I thought it would go for no more than $50. That combined with a few other exclusives and he would cover some Toy Fair expenses. I cannot cancel the auction or I would as it is being made into something that is way off base.... I am doing a free give-away on one, check the news.

Beast
02-13-2002, 01:19 AM
Cool idea Sir Steve,
Sorry to hear so many people jumped you without knowing the whole story about why it was put up on ebay. People love to throw around the word scalper on things to much, since technically selling that figure on ebay isn't scalping anything. He is not going to a store, looting the shelves, and selling for insane mark-up on ebay, removing the figures from the hands of fans. He's not hoarding them and removing them from collector's hands. :rolleyes:

These figures are rare, Sir Steve and the people he attended toy fair with got 1 each. If the collecting community couldn't get invited to toy fair, and get one..this is actually helping collector's get one. Do I think collector's are crazy wanting to pay so much for it, sure...but thats no one's fault but the collector with the deep pockets and money burning a hole in them. Hopefully now that he has decided to actually part with his own in a giveaway you guys will cut him some slack. Infact If I'm lucky enough to win it, I'll upset people more. I'm going to open it. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

GNT
02-13-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by SirSteve
I am doing a free give-away on one, check the news.

I wouldn't say its free...

I will pay for shipping within the USA, anything outside of that, the winner is responsible for.

:(

Might as well bid on your auction....

SirSteve
02-13-2002, 01:52 AM
our Sponsor (Action Online) does other sites and I helped out with photography (hence the exclusive WWF and HotWheels). Nikon EN-EL 1 batteries are $199.99 in NYC (I talked them down to $80 each - still expensive). He paid for three batteries. The person that owns the Vader that is being auctioned is not a collector, could care less about the figure but he said if he could get anything for it on ebay, it would help with expenses. I agreed to put it on ebay. I didn't even think much about it. I thought it was a good thing a collector could get one because you have to have Press Credentials (or supposed to have for those that are truely "Press"). I thought it would sell for about $50. It was even started at $1.00 with no reserve. Simple as that... believe me or not, that's the story...

Beast
02-13-2002, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by GNT
I wouldn't say its free... :( Might as well bid on your auction....
I rather doubt shipping on a action figure anywhere in the world would cost anyone all that much, GNT. :rolleyes: For instance a 2 lb. package to Australia from the states: Global Express Mail (EMS) 2 - 3 Days $24.00

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sidiously Darth
02-13-2002, 02:04 AM
You know all of this is pretty clear in the auction description. I noticed this earlier today and had mixed feelings on it. But when it comes down to it, it's his figure.

Besides I'm putting my name in for the free one, what the heck!:D

GNT
02-13-2002, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks

I rather doubt shipping on a action figure anywhere in the world would cost anyone all that much, GNT. :rolleyes: For instance a 2 lb. package to Australia from the states: Global Express Mail (EMS) 2 - 3 Days $24.00

If thats in Us money when converted thats around AU$50 mark,its hardly worth it. I'd rather spend the money on 5-7 figures I haven't got instead of shipping.

SirSteve
02-13-2002, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by GNT

If thats in Us money when converted thats around AU$50 mark,its hardly worth it. I'd rather spend the money on 5-7 figures I haven't got instead of shipping.

sigh.... I just can't win can I?

Beast
02-13-2002, 02:32 AM
I feel for ya Sir Steve, no matter what you try to do to please people there will always be critical people out there. Sadly usually the critical people are the most vocal. Well, I am here to tell you that there are more people that appreciate you that don't sing your praises often, then there is people that enjoy complaining. :frus:

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sidiously Darth
02-13-2002, 02:39 AM

No you can't and you never will!:(

All I know about you is that we live in the same state, you provide a great site, and you work hard at it. But there will always be those with the "What have you done for me lately" attitudes.:frus:

Sidiously Darth
02-13-2002, 02:40 AM
Oh, and one more thing. Why in the hell are we still up at this hour? My head hurts. I'm going to bed...

JediTricks
02-13-2002, 06:09 AM
Sidiously Darth, you think these hours are crazy? Check out my schedule for the past few days:

Preface: my regular schedule is insane and potentially dangerous and should not be attempted by anybody who values sleep. The following schedule shouldn't have even been tried by me, let alone anyone else.

Saturday: 9:30am - went to sleep after having cable problem fixed.

Saturday: 4:14pm - woke up, continued life as normal until it turned into...

Sunday: 4am - still awake, came online to check in for Toy Fair coverage, talked with Steve over cell, did update about AOTC pic archive section opening after emergency call to Steve about the programmer not turning said PA section on. Did update from Steve who was on the floor of Toy Fair, loaded up features section and checked out Hasbro press releases. Steve sent first pics back to the uploading person, who uploaded the pics at full size... ONE MEG EACH!!! Uploader had high-speed, I'm at 56k, that obviously wasn't gonna work. Talked with uploader Brian about batch-shrinking the pics to a more reasonable filesize, took a long time to get it all uploaded. I was downloading as he was uploading and Steve was still shooting at Toy Fair. Began editing some pics, then uploaded them, all while still downloading, then watched as the news broke down, the PA broke down, and the features started hiccupping. Had to do updates without news. Did some more work, Steve came back and took over the uploading and editing.

Sunday: 3pm - Finally went to sleep. Time between waking and sleep - 23 hours.

Sunday: 9:30pm - Woke, went back online, found out where to start editing, edited and uploaded pics all night. From the hour I woke on Sunday till the hour I went to sleep on Monday, I just worked on Toy Fair coverage until...

Monday: 1pm - finally more sleep.

Monday: 8:30pm - awoke realizing I had some great LEGO coverage to put up now that it was done edited. Worked on Toy Fair LEGO pics till...

Tuesday: 1am - finished Lego Toy Fair work. Began working on real paying job again.

Tuesday: 11:30am - sleep.

Tuesday: 7:45pm - woke up, jumped online, seen all this crap with the Vader, very sure it's gonna be unpleasant. Steve has new pics to work on, very nice AND file sizes are reasonable.

Wednesday: 12:49am - finished putting up Toy Fair pics, back to real job again.

Wednesday: Now - finishing up checking on forums. Who knows when sleep will find me again.

And now you know the story of what JediTricks did for Toy Fair and why he's still awake. :cry: :crazed:

SirSteve
02-13-2002, 11:43 AM
We have decide that the money for the Darth Vader Toy Fair 2002 exclusive ebay auction will go to the Red Cross and the Liberty Disaster Relief Fund for the people directly affected by the September 11th tragedies. We found it only fitting since the exclusive is rasing a lot of money and since it was acquired in New York City.

Beast
02-13-2002, 12:00 PM
We have decide that the money for the Darth Vader Toy Fair 2002 exclusive ebay auction will go to the Red Cross and the Liberty Disaster Relief Fund for the people directly affected by the September 11th tragedies. We found it only fitting since the exclusive is rasing a lot of money and since it was acquired in New York City.

Thats a grand gesture Sir Steve. I am sure the people complaining about it's sale will now change their tune since the money is going for charity. I applaud your decision, Sir Steve. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JEDIpartner
02-13-2002, 12:07 PM
Hey...

I believe you, Steve. Besides... the people who are REALLY griping are usually the first ones who would have put that thing on eBay anyhow. Now that it's been made known that the money is going to a worthy cause, I hope we can all just settle a bit and wait for the free one OR the one available from the Fan Club.

MTFBWY!!! :happy:

JetsAndHeels
02-13-2002, 12:09 PM
I agree with JediPartnr. The proceeds are going to a good cause and it also speaks well for you and your site, Steve.
We are proud to be members here.

Sidiously Darth
02-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Props to JT and all the other crusaders of this site. I thought my schedule could be hectic, but nothing like that. When do have time to eat, shower, pay bills, etc.? Keep up the great work and get some :zzz: !!!

Also, mega, stellar high-fives for SS on his donation. I think you and your friend w/ the batteries are straightup guys!:cool:

AmanaMatt
02-13-2002, 01:36 PM
Last time I checked, this was still America...

:frus:

InsaneJediGirl
02-13-2002, 03:23 PM
I agree with Sidiously Darth!Keep up the work SS&Crew,
your the best
:D ::happy:

JediTricks
02-15-2002, 04:15 AM
Originally posted by Sidiously Darth
Props to JT and all the other crusaders of this site. I thought my schedule could be hectic, but nothing like that. When do have time to eat, shower, pay bills, etc.? Keep up the great work and get some :zzz: !!!I made sure to pre-schedule time out of my life to help out with the TF coverage, so I showered right before I crashed out and ate mostly the instant crap I bought just for the occassion (luckily, I bought a lot of fruit too, so I didn't have TOO much frozen microwave junk ;)).

BTW, my sleep schedule is still messed up bad, so if you think the warning I put up was just to be funny, think again. (Ok, it was just to be funny, but it's actually really bad for ya)

SirSteve
02-15-2002, 10:12 AM
HUGE thanks the JT for the help during Toy Fair!! My schedule is so wacked during this time!

JetsAndHeels
02-15-2002, 10:22 AM
SirSteve,
Thanks to you and all of your great staff for the wonderful work you have done during TF and the great work you do all the time!!
We all appreciate you very much!!