PDA

View Full Version : Why didn't Obi-Wan?

Battle Droid
02-12-2002, 06:00 PM
Why didn't Obi-Wan cut into those shield like things or whatever you call them, that seperated him from Qui-Gon.

He could've cut into the thing that put them out couldn't he?

Obi-Don
02-12-2002, 08:43 PM
Sounds good,but who knows what that could have caused. The thing could have blown up. I might be mistaken but I thought that those energy gates were some type of cooling system or heat exchange.[?] who knows,maybe GL thought those gates just looked cool and need a way for Obi-Wan to be unable to help Qui-Gon.

Jon
02-12-2002, 08:53 PM
My problem with that whole sequence was at the beginning of TPM Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon dart down a corridor faster than Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis escaping Destroyer Droids, yet when Obi-Wan tries to catch up to Qui-Gon and Darth Maul he only runs like any other human...what's up with that?

Beast
02-12-2002, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by Jon
My problem with that whole sequence was at the beginning of TPM Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon dart down a corridor faster than Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis escaping Destroyer Droids, yet when Obi-Wan tries to catch up to Qui-Gon and Darth Maul he only runs like any other human...what's up with that?

I beleive this was answered either on the DVD commentary or on StarWars.com. Obi-Wan was to worn out from fighting Maul to be able to put on a burst of enhanced speed, espcially after just using a force ability to "super" jump up to the higher walkway from the one he was knocked down onto.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Co Jo-Da
02-13-2002, 07:12 PM
Darth Maul tried to get to Qui-Gonn through the shield and it didn't work. Obi-Wan didn't want the darn thing to blow up in his face and he was tired from fighting Darth and trying to get cought up to Qui-Gonn. And one last thing, GL wanted Qui-Gonn to die so Obi-Wan could train Anakin...

Starfig873
02-13-2002, 09:45 PM
Well besides that, HAD Obi used a burst of speed he very well could have headed face first in one of those beams. That wouldn't have looked too good either now would it?

Rollo Tomassi
02-17-2002, 01:04 PM
The reason Obi Wan didn't use super speed is the same reason Qio Gon didn't block the saber thrust that killed him. I'm not going to tell you what that reason is, but it's the same reason...

Pendo
02-17-2002, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
The reason Obi Wan didn't use super speed is the same reason Qio Gon didn't block the saber thrust that killed him. I'm not going to tell you what that reason is, but it's the same reason...

Is the reason because GWL written and directed the film and didn't want it to happen?

PENDO!

master jedi
02-17-2002, 09:22 PM
And what about Maul not blocking the saber that killed him? He had plenty of time to block it.

Another thing: Why didn't Maul kick Qui-Gons saber down the shaft like Obi-Wans? And while OB1 was hanging there why didn't Maul just Force push him loose and let him fall?

stillakid
02-17-2002, 10:04 PM
Very good questions, all, and no doubt the response by many will include a metric ton of rationalization to cover for the poor writing and structure of the story.

Simply put, those force field thingies looked "cool" and effectively blocked Obi Wan from helping out Qui Gon giving Maul the opportunity to run the old guy through. Despite the blindingly fast reactions of all parties throughout the fight, there are "convenient" lapses at opportune moments which allow the "plot" to advance to the next stage. Nothing more, nothing less. Just convenient writing to kill off a character whose purpose was primarily to die at the end because GL couldn't have Obi Wan meet that terrible fate at that time.:)

chewie
02-18-2002, 02:02 AM
I could understand Qui-Gon getting run-through after getting disoriented from a conk on his head, but Maul's sudden lack of mobility upon seeing Obi-Wan flipping through the air at him was terribly done. Going from a guy who could block 2 simultaneous lightsabers coming at him with fraction of a second reaction time to just standing there when a guy takes a few seconds to leap into the air and swipe at him was far too convienient for the plot.

I will take Stillakid's cue though and add my own "theory" :)

Perhaps Sidious wanted his apprentice to die. Remember that whole "forseeing the future" thing that Sidious/Palpatine has. He could have very well used his Sith mind tricks to fumble up Maul and allow him to be killed. Thusly advancing Palpatine's goal of getting the best Jedi killer around, Vader.