PDA

View Full Version : Best Figures of 2007 Showdown

JediTricks
01-29-2008, 03:55 PM
We're wrapping up January by finishing the "best of 2007" poll series with...

Which figure is the best of the best of 2007?

Now that we've done the polls to find out which is the best basic figure, the best Comic Pack figure, the best Vintage-style figure, and the best exclusive figure of 2007, it's time to close out this series with a bang by deciding which figure from all those polls is the absolute best of the best of all of those.

To make it a little more interesting, every poll's runner-up will also be included here to see if they can't make greater gains, or who knows, maybe even pull an upset to win the whole enchilada. You can use whatever criteria you wish for voting such as sculpt, packaging, coins, price, venue, etc.. It's entirely up to you.

Keep in mind that you must be logged into the forums to vote.

And thanks to jedi master sal for suggesting this poll series!

Jedi_Kal-El
01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
This one was a real toss up. I went with Luke here. The whiny little punk never looked so good. Since it's based on art on not Mark Hamil, the likeness is actually perty darned good. Snowtrooper would be my second and the best Imperial of the year. The rest I'll just tie for 3rd since there isn't one of them I really dislike too bad.

JediTricks
01-29-2008, 04:24 PM
This is a very tough one, no question, I still cannot decide actually.

As for Luke, I think it's funny that the best Luke Skywalker likeness of 2007 was on a concept figure drawn as a masked Deak Starkiller. :p I think the actual figure's likeness is a fair Mark Hamill really, I got that ANH Luke (tho' a little older) vibe from it the first time I took it out of the package.

sebillba
01-29-2008, 04:37 PM
I voted for Bossk - I didn't think he needed an update, but this turned out to be one of the most awesome figures ever.

Ji'dai
01-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Out of the nine poll choices, I bought three: A'sharad Hett, Concept Fett, and Hermi Odle. My vote goes to Hermi Odle; he's one big chunk of OT background character plastic goodness. I really dislike the soft-goods on him though. Wish Hasbro did Hermi's clothing in sculpted plastic like on his kin Ephant Mon.

DarthBrandon
01-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Voting for Hermi, now that's one nice chunk of plastic.:thumbsup: Snowtrooper is my next fav of the bunch then Mr Hett. Boba's cool as well.

Tycho
01-29-2008, 06:43 PM
JediTricks has done a good job with all of these polls.

Though I wasn't interested in voting for all of them (exclusives, vintage-style) I think the program was run well.

I came in really with only 2 possible candidates: Hermie Odle and A'Sharad Hett.

I ultimately and unsuredly chose A'Sharad Hett. Why? He's just more fun for me. I'm not totally sure I voted "correctly," but if Hermie wins, he'll really deserve it. However, Hermie is not (just barely not) another Ephant Mon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
01-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I picked the Snowtrooper, who I think was fantastically well done.

bigbarada
01-29-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm glad JT added the runners up to the poll, so I was able to reverse my vintage Snowtrooper vote and vote for Bossk like I always intended to. I regretted using my VTAC vote for the Snowtrooper almost immediately.

Anyways, I think Bossk is easily one of the best Star Wars figures made and I would possibly even rank him above Ephant Mon based on 'fun factor' and 'action potential.' In other words, if you are a kid and you are given a choice between Ephant Mon or VTAC Bossk, which figure do you think you would have the most fun with?

Long story short: VTAC Bossk = greatest Star Wars action figure ever made.:thumbsup:

Snowtrooper
01-29-2008, 08:25 PM
The figure I would have chose didn't make the final cut. So of the choices, I'll pick IG-88.

Kidhuman
01-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I picked the Snowtrooper, who I think was fantastically well done.

Ditto for me.

bigbarada
01-29-2008, 10:24 PM
The figure I would have chose didn't make the final cut.

Can I get three guesses?

figrin bran
01-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I can't believe that Bossk is faring better. Even after I cast my vote for him, that's only 3.

bigbarada
01-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Well, he's in third for now.

Hermi Odle is almost a shoe in to win this just because of his size. I just think he could have been done better. He was at the top of my wishlist once I got Ephant Mon in 2002, but the final result just feels "unfinished" to me.

jedi master sal
01-30-2008, 07:47 AM
I had to go with the Snowtrooper.

concept Luke Skywalker (Exclusives)-Well done figure, but not going to be a mainline figure that I'll come back to often, so he doesn't get my vote.
concept R2-D2 & C-3PO (Exclusives)-Same reason as concept Luke
A'sharad Hett (Comic Packs)Very fun figure and my second choice. This was a surprise. One that it was even done, and two that it was done so well for the fact that it was in a comic pack.
ARC Trooper Alpha (Comic Packs)-As I've said before, we've had previous ARC troopers, and now with the knowledge of the reuse of this sculpt in some portions for the upcoming second Order 66 wave, this figure has lost its luster.
Snowtrooper (Vintage-Style)-Excellent sculpt, articulation, just superb and hence my top pick.
Bossk (Vintage-Style)-Best Bossk ever for sure, just not quite enough to take the top spot.
IG-88 (Vintage-Style)-Absolutely the best IG-88 figure ever. Some minor tweek and it could have taken the top spot. Don't loose the small accessories!
concept Boba Fett (Basic Figures)-Bang up job on this concept figure. But for the easily seperated torso, I could have voted for him as my pick.
Hermi Odle (Basic Figures)-HUGE! Great sculpt, I LIKE the soft goods. Just don't like the pinkish color skin. Top contender finishing just out of it though.

I want to thank JT again for accepting my idea for these polls and running with it. They were done in a timely and orderly fashion.

Thanks to all my fellow forumites who participated in these polls. Without you the success of these polls would not have come about, as well you got to have a say in the year end round up.

I think it's self evident from the polls that Hasbro really did do a great job this year with figures. I'd even go so far as to say Best ever. Articulation was way up there in many case. New characters were made, some LONG desired characters as well. The coin promotion was a huge success!

If there was ever any year where we can say Hasbro listened to us, 2007 was that year.

I look forward to future years of SW collecting and will look back on 2007 as a year to remember, regarding collecting.

Respectfully,
-Sal

Slicker
01-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Due to the lack of VTAC Endor Leia I chose IG-88. I've always been a sucker for him and they've pretty much always had him on a dead on likeness (although it'd be pretty tough to mess it up) but this one takes the cake.

CaptainSolo1138
01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
Due to the lack of VTAC Endor Leia...That was my rational for having to pick Hermi.

Rocketboy
01-30-2008, 10:56 AM
That was my rational for having to pick Hermi.You mean Slicker's Mom.

El Chuxter
01-30-2008, 12:08 PM
I'll abstain. None of these was my favorite of the year by a pretty long shot.

Sinscia Fat'o
01-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Gotta go with IG-88, mainly because out of all those other figures Ig-88 was a vast improvement and showed what Hasbro could do when they put their minds to it, that and it's the ultimate representation of the character we've ever had...and will have as far as i'm concerned.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Wow, I love the polls JT, keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

This is the most difficult one, I love most of the figures on this list so I finally went with 'feeling' and voted for McQuarrie threepio and artoo because it captures, for me, what star wars IS.

JediTricks
01-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Keep them coming? I can't think of anything else to do with these, that's why I said this was the last one. After this it's vehicle repaints and battle packs, neither of which garner that much attention.

You're awesome, that's why I've been leaning towards Concept R2 & 3PO as well.

By the way, don't tell anybody, but I just realized I started this poll a day early. I've been having trouble figuring out what date it is since last week. :p

misosazai7
01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
I was so grateful to finally have the Hermi Odle figure, but I can't give him my vote: the coloration of this figure made him look more like a representation of an animated version of the character. He lacks the dark and gritty texture that was so pervasive among the Jabba's Palace Courtiers. My vote was for A'Sharad Hett. I know there were people that had a problem with the Tusken mask, but I love this figure. I have to say though that the Concept R2 & Threepio is the most iconic figure representation we may have ever had. This offering was just perfect and maybe in retropect my favorite. But I loved so much of the 2007 line.

2007 was beyond any doubt worthy of the 30th anniversary of Star Wars as it produced the highest quality figures we have ever seen from Hasbro. Thanks to them, and here's looking forward to 2008 which looks like it will take us to even greater heights!

JediTricks
01-31-2008, 08:01 PM
I finally decided to go with McQuarrie Droids, that 2pack has some great memories for me and it represents such an iconic piece of Star Wars pre-history.

My other possible choices were McQuarrie Fett and all 3 of the vintage, even IG-88 who I gave an "A-" to. :p Somehow, they all kinda represent something uniquely bigger about SW figure collecting to me than the other entries.

Deoxyribonucleic
01-31-2008, 09:05 PM
I finally decided to go with McQuarrie Droids, that 2pack has some great memories for me and it represents such an iconic piece of Star Wars pre-history.

My other possible choices were McQuarrie Fett and all 3 of the vintage, even IG-88 who I gave an "A-" to. :p Somehow, they all kinda represent something uniquely bigger about SW figure collecting to me than the other entries.

I am in total agreement. There were so many goodies on this list, it was very hard to decide.

Good choice JT :thumbsup:

obi-dad
01-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Extremely tough choice with this one. I finally went with Hermi probably because I've wanted it so long and I'm willing to overlook the color in hopes that one day I'll finally create a dark Jabba's palace dio. The only one I couldn't justify at all was ARC Trooper Alpha, which no one voted for. I almost have to say the Snowtrooper, McQuarrie droids, Bossk & IG-88 were in a tie for 2nd

Veers
02-15-2008, 11:45 PM
I like Bossk the best. I loved this figure when I was a kid and loved the card as well. I am glad they chose to make Bossk on the vintage style card. I like to see Han Carbonite or Amanaman on the old style card.