PDA

View Full Version : What were you doing in 1977, 1980 and 1983?

Deoxyribonucleic
01-31-2008, 09:47 PM
I recently stumbled across these great stories on starwars.com

Life in 1977

http://www.starwars.com/episode-iv/release/video/news20060821.html

Life in 1980

http://www.starwars.com/episode-v/bts/article/news20060828.html

Life in 1983

http://www.starwars.com/episode-vi/bts/article/news20060905.html

Jedi_Kal-El
01-31-2008, 10:02 PM
I was 4 in '77 so not much.
In '80 Going to grade school and playing with SW toys, and again, not much.
Same in '83, not much.

Wow, my childhood was pretty mundane.

stillakid
01-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Let's see, 1977... long time ago. I was eight when Star Wars came out. Second grade. I can't remember exactly when my parents took me and my brothers to see it, but it was a big deal because we lived out in the country and never went to see movies. I remember my brother Mike and me playing like we were Stormtroopers on the way back to the car. I went home and eventually got some of those trading cards with the word STAR WARS running down the side. I used photos from them to build my own cardboard Falcon, Xwing, and TIE Fighter. I remember walking into the KMart and seeing a display of action figures near the front door. I wanted one and my Mom pointed at R2 and said, "He's cute!" So I took him home. My very first and I still have him!

1980.... I was now in fifth grade. A lot had happened in those few years, but what I remember most about ESB is that one of the superhot girls in my class (Angie... gorgeous blond... sigh) got to go see it right away. I remember her coming to school the next day and I overheard her saying that Darth Vader was Luke's father! :eek: I wasn't mad or anything. This was long before the word "spoiler" was invented except to describe the tail fin on the back of a Trans Am.

The only other thing I remember is standing in line with about a few hundred other people at the theater when the previous show let out. A mass of bodies emptied out the doors within sight of the eagerly waiting crowd when some idiot teenager yelled out that "Darth Vader is Luke's father!" Twit.

1983... My toy collection had grown a bit, but not anything like it is now. I remember that we were planning on going to see ROTJ the next day (must've been a weekend). I remember getting the novelization and deciding that I wanted to read this one before seeing the movie this time. I can almost picture myself curling up alone in the front living room reading the novel from cover to cover that night. I was so excited and couldn't wait! The next day, I remember standing in line at the Showcase Cinemas in Toledo and seeing one of those white movie programs that had cool pictures, descriptions, and unfolded!

The toy thing was fading off though because I was now thirteen and other things were entering my young mind....:love:

Kidhuman
02-01-2008, 08:00 AM
I was young in 77, 3-4 years old, so not much. in 80 and 83 was in scool and playing with toys.

Rocketboy
02-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Life in '77: Either tadpolin' or in utero (depending on the month).

Life in '80: Turnin' 2 and about to discover Star Wars.

Life in '83: Turnin' 5 and going to kindergarten and obsessed with Star Wars.

General_Grievous
02-01-2008, 10:56 AM
I was on the swim team for all those years. ;)

Jargo
02-01-2008, 03:31 PM
77 I was at home playing with lego most likely. I remember my uncle and anty coming back from seeing star wars and my aunty going weak at the knees about Harrison Ford and my uncle talking about space battles and laser beams. i didn't see the movie in full til after esb opened. my first figure in 79 was darth vader. my brother got a stormtrooper.

80. i'd just gone to boarding school and found a friend who for some reason i didn't understand at the time spent his pocket money on figures that he gave me...... sweet lad. i was horrible to him too. wish i could apologise and say thank you. anyway thanks to incredibly long semesters i missed the opening of esb. I did however go to a screening of both sw and esb back to back in 82. I was convinced that it was besprin not bespin. and loved the cloud city sequences. Yoda didn't really impress me but he was still one of the first esb figures i got. i started to collect the marvel comic adaptation at this point along with other printed material.

83. missed the opening of rotj but saw it not long after in it's first run. loved the tatooine stuff, loved the endor stuff but the luke v vader thing bored me. I believe Nien Nunb was the first figure i got from rotj closely followed by the deuce. at this point i was very adept at building star wars vehicles in lego. my elder brother had grown a full beard and turned into a geeky D&D player. and I'd purloined my brothers stormtrooper and made him my stunt trooper coz he had loose legs and would take a death fall brilliantly.vader by this point had been decapitated. and the deuce had met fx-7 who resided down the street with a school chum.

only original things i have left are my b-wing pilot (with original gun no less) and some body parts in my customising kit box.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-01-2008, 06:30 PM
My parents' first date was (no joke) seeing Star Wars in 1977. I wasn't born until 1989, though by the time ROTJ came out my oldest sister was a little over one and a half years old and my other sister was just short of two years off. At some point, they got an Ewok board game and Kneesa to the Rescue book, both of which I remember seeing before even really knowing what Star Wars was.

We went to see the SEs when they came out and that was the first time I ever saw them. I remember getting the floating Cloud City toy from Taco Bell (I was fascinated with those toys) after I saw ANH and recognizing it by the time I saw ESB a few weeks later (during which my sister loudly asked about Luke's hand right as Darth Vader was saying something important . . .). I later got Chewbacca in Bounty Hunter Disguise from a Kmart (I also got a lollipop and we went to a car wash . . . weird how I remember these things) which started off the figure collection. I saw ROTJ with a friend and his parents and later again with my family. It's hard to believe that it's already 11 years later.

jjreason
02-01-2008, 08:32 PM
I was 5. The first I heard of Star Wars was from my neighbors - the sister must have been 13 or 14 and the boy was a couple of years older than me. They were going on about it, and I tried to correct them saying it was Star TREK they were talking about... well they corrected me, let's put it that way! :whip:

I began to pay attention to Star Wars based on this interaction, and the toy ads drove me bonkers. I think I saw a few and badgered my folks enough, so I got my first Luke at Westmount Mall (but this must have been in 1978, obviously, so I'm off topic from here on in. ;) ).

After that I got hooked on the story book (the hardcover book full of pictures - including some that were from scenes cut from the final film like Biggs in Academy dress and Luke with binos).

Once I was done with that, I found a copy of the novelization in the school library. I was hell-bent on reading it, and sure enough my teacher told the librarian I could read well enough to try. lol

DarthQuack
02-01-2008, 08:37 PM
Let's see....1977 was three years before I graced the earth....was born in August of 1980....just after Empire came out I think....and in 1983 I was 3 years old with a baby brother on the way for May '84.....no real Star Wars memories for me back in day when they were in the theaters....I just remember getting the Rancor Keeper when I was a little older...

Anakin Palpatine
02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
crapping my pants and playing with my Star Wars figures. I walked by so many Power of the Force Figures on clearance at Toys R Us and Child's World, to get to the G.I. Joe and Transformers section after that.

bigbarada
02-02-2008, 03:04 AM
When my brother got ahold of a bootleg copy of the Holiday Special, I watched it and most of it seemed vaguely familiar. So I think we watched at least portions of the Holiday Special back in 1978, which would have been my first introduction to Star Wars. And probably also explains why my dad hated SW so much.

1977 - I was four years old living in Springfield, Missouri. Never saw the movie, but was aware of something called "star wars" out there from TV ads.

1980 - seven years old, living in Belen, New Mexico. I had one action figure, R2-D2 and my brother had Chewbacca, but still hadn't seen the movie and didn't even know that there was a sequel out. Christmas of that year, my brother and I got a motherlode of toys: Death Star Playset, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and 11 of the 12 original figures (the only one missing was Han Solo).

1983 - still in NM, saw Star Wars (ANH for you young bucks) for the very first time when it aired on CBS. My brother and I had been following the series since getting all those toys three Christmas' earlier and were pretty obsessed at this point. However, my parents were as suspicious as ever towards the whole craze. So any toys we got were secondhand discards from our friends and we had to keep them hidden because my parents would throw them away whenever they saw them (all the toys we got from 1980 were long gone).

Jedi_Kal-El
02-02-2008, 03:58 PM
You had to hide your toys beacause of your parents BB? That's just wrong. What did they have against it anyway? Are you an axe murderer because of SW today?

stillakid
02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
When my brother got ahold of a bootleg copy of the Holiday Special, I watched it and most of it seemed vaguely familiar. So I think we watched at least portions of the Holiday Special back in 1978, which would have been my first introduction to Star Wars.

So the first thing you ever experience about Star Wars was the Holiday Special and you wanted to see more after that?! :hurt:

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Well,

I was still living in The state of Ohio, so I was playing with Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, riding my Big Wheel with the spinout handle, while attending preschool and learning how to talk gooder. I first saw it in its re-release in '78 in California (at a drive-in, my first memory of CA, in fact).

Was in loooooove with Star Wars, and to see a film begin in the snow (I missed it in CA from OH), it was heavenly. In second or third grade, building a reputation as a troublemaker student, but fairly bright and creative.

Almost to double digits in age, I surprisingly only saw ROJ once in the theaters (it was on opening night). Had a pretty good collection of SW toys and stuff, even if it was the "cheap" items (figures, Mini Rigs, trading cards, comics, etc,). Was two years off from my first job (paperboy).

TeeEye7
02-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Received my undergraduate degree, then headed to the University of Madrid to work on my Master's Degree (which I never finished :cry:). Watched ANH (in English) before crossing the Pond and ANH (in Spanish) after settling in.

Working as a graphic artist and photographer, and dating my future wife. ESB was a date night. :lipsrsealed:

Still working as a graphic artist and photographer. Got married (we're looking at 25 years in about two more months :love:). Got laid off (so did my wife). Although poor, and living on savings and unemployment benefits, we went to see ROTJ any way. :p

It wasn't until 1985 that I joined the sheriff's department.
.....and YES, I'm old enough to be your dad. In fact: I AM YOUR......

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 11:38 AM
I was 10 in 1977. :) Technically, I was still 9 when I saw the movie. My birthday is in late August.

Devil King
02-04-2008, 10:40 PM
SW-not alive

TESB-3 months old

ROTJ- first movie I ever went to see.

Neuroleptic
02-04-2008, 10:56 PM
1977-non existant

1980-non existant until december 27th, too late in the year to be alive for Empire

1983- I would have been 2 years old at the time of the release, but it was the first movie I ever saw in theaters, and Jaba the hut scared the hell out of me at the time. If I remember correctly, it was his voice that scared me most. But I loved it anyway. Didn't even get the toys till the next year since I was too young at the time.

TeeEye7
02-04-2008, 11:55 PM
1977-non existant

1980-non existant until december 27th, too late in the year to be alive for Empire

Nah...you were there...just in two different locations. ;)