PDA

View Full Version : Undeserving "Greatest Hits" compilations?

Bel-Cam Jos
02-02-2008, 04:07 PM
I was in the store that sells music (no, not a file sharing or downloading site, an actual store store :p ) and noticed some dumb choices for top singles or greatest hits CDs. Britney Spears? The Gin Blossoms? Not around long enough or not producing songs anymore and they have collections?

It took until last year for Matchbox Twenty to make one, and no such product for Incubus. I'm still waiting for Level 42 and Wang Chung. :pleased:

Now, I know I could make my own, even including less famous songs myself, but there's something about buying a set that the artist has created or compiled that makes it better to me. Who determines which artist is worthy of a Greatest Hits CD?

Rocketboy
02-02-2008, 05:52 PM
Vanilla Ice has/had a greatest hits album. Oh yes.

jjreason
02-02-2008, 08:39 PM
God, talk about inappropriate - Bob Marley, The Doors and the Rolling Stones ALL have greatest hits albums! Can you believe that? ;) :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-02-2008, 09:25 PM
Queen apparently enjoys having 87 different greatest hits CDs and selling them all at Target alongside no other material.

JON9000
02-06-2008, 03:43 PM
THE EAGLES

"Hotel California" is basically a greatest hits album, yet we have several GH collections from them.

Incidentally, the song "Hotel California" is the only good song the Eagles ever did. Really, other than that, their music is bat-turds. The lyrics are impossibly trite.

Britney had a crap-load of hits and has been around for nearly ten years. I have no problem with a greatest hits album from her, though I don't really like her music.

I think we'll see less of this stuff. It seems as though the "marketing powers that be" are more into releasing "special editions" of major albums rather than cobbling together "hits" collections these days.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-07-2008, 12:34 AM
THE EAGLES

"Hotel California" is basically a greatest hits album, yet we have several GH collections from them.

Incidentally, the song "Hotel California" is the only good song the Eagles ever did. Really, other than that, their music is bat-turds. The lyrics are impossibly trite.Their first greatest hits album is the best selling album of all time in the US, and it doesn't even have "Hotel California", as it is their greatest hits from 1971-1975.

The track listing with how they ranked in the Billboard Top 40

1. Take It Easy (#12)
2. Witchy Woman (#9)
3. Lyin' Eyes (#2)
4. Already Gone (#32)
5. Desperado
6. One of These Nights (#1)
7. Tequila Sunrise (#64)
8. Take It to the Limit (#4)
9. Peaceful Easy Feeling (#22)
10. Best of My Love (#1)

JediTricks
02-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Why is it that there's a ton of Ramones greatest hits, and nearly all of them are ineptly put together? The Ramones were awesome, but they have 8 f'ing Greatest Hits albums even though their original catalog is only 14 albums and less than 40 singles.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Why is it that there's a ton of Ramones greatest hits, and nearly all of them are ineptly put together? The Ramones were awesome, but they have 8 f'ing Greatest Hits albums even though their original catalog is only 14 albums and less than 40 singles.
I've considered getting the anthology. It should have just about everything you'd want. I just didn't want to pay that much when I wasn't sure how long it would hold my interest beyond the few songs that I know.

DarthQuack
02-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Does a best of count, like for Kriss Kross (http://www.amazon.com/Best-Kriss-Kross-Remixed-92/dp/B0001HM4D8/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202441384&sr=8-4)?

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Y'know what bugs me?

For the longest time, Greatest Hits albums had two new songs. Which was bad for people who had all the other albums.

So I figured that iTunes and other services that allow one to download individual songs would take care of this.

I have Thriller, Bad, Dangerous, and HIStory Book 1 by Michael Jackson. I have the two-disc anthology by the Jackson 5. I have Control, Rhythm Nation 1814, and janet by Janet Jackson. So I figure I'm going to get all the odds and ends from the Jackson family that I don't have; by my reckoning, two discs.

The Jacksons stuff is no problem. The Michael stuff prior to Thriller is no problem. Jermaine is no problem. I even find "Somebody's Watching Me" by Rockwell and Michael Jackson, as well as "We Are the World" quite easily.

So my next stop: the two new songs from Janet's Design of a Decade. Good songs, but the compilation only covers the three Janet albums I have, so I never got it.

They're only available if I buy the whole album digitally, which is actually more than it would cost to get the CD if I wait for a BMG sale.

Then I look at the Michael boxed set. A lot of really cool rarities that could actually be worth having, like the Captain EO music and his song from the old ET read-along album.

All of it available only if I buy the whole damned boxed set, 3/4 of which I already have. Which is $35--the same price as the physical boxed set, which comes with a DVD.

It's insane. Here, I'm actually looking to purchase stuff legally. And I can't. It's back to the old days where a friend buys the greatest hits and you borrow it and tape the new songs.

JEDIpartner
02-12-2008, 08:51 AM
What I can't stand about certain greatest hits albums is that sometimes they get lazy and just use album versions of songs rather than the radio versions that made them hits in the first place! Chux mentioned Janet's "Design of a Decade" album. That CD uses the lame album version of "Pleasure Principle" as opposed to the 7" Shep Pettibone mix, which was the hit version. It also uses the album versions of "When I Think of You" and "Let's Wait Awhile" as well as a couple of the singles from "Rhythm Nation". I hate it when record companies take the lazy way out and don't assemble the hits collections as they should.

Yes, that was off-topic, but I just needed to chime in with that little issue I've had with these compilations.

Mad Slanted Powers
02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Actually, depending on the song, I probably prefer the album version. My brother had the Steve Miller greatest hits and I made a copy of it. I would have bought my own copy long ago, but it has the censored version of "Jet Airliner" that says "funky kicks" instead of "funky sh*t". So, I'll probably just buy the songs I want off of iTunes.

vader121
02-12-2008, 10:29 AM
Some of the worst non-deserving Greatest Hits sets i've seen ...

-Europe
-Flock of Seagulls
-Slaughter
-Jackyl
-Korn
-Warrant
-Poison

Some Bands who i think should put out a Greatest Hits set ...
-Dream Theater
-Metallica

El Chuxter
02-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Metallica's like AC/DC; they think that greatest hits compilations ruin the integrity of the original albums. At least I think Metallica sells a lot of their stuff online as individual tracks, though. You can't get AC/DC music anywhere. They put out a quasi-hits album called Who Made Who, but that was more a couple of songs used in Maximum Overdrive with some instrumental riffing.

I wonder how much they're losing on people who only want "You Shook Me All Night Long"?

Back to the versions thing, Madonna's The Immaculate Collection is almost all remixes, and I don't recall hear any of them on the radio back in the day. I bought a used copy years ago for a few songs, and was p***ed to find out they were inferior extended dance versions.

JEDIpartner
02-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Back to the versions thing, Madonna's The Immaculate Collection is almost all remixes, and I don't recall hear any of them on the radio back in the day. I bought a used copy years ago for a few songs, and was p***ed to find out they were inferior extended dance versions.

I was really surprised by this when I got it. I don't mind having those remix/edits if I already have the single versions. The dumbest thing about that is how incongruous it was when they put out GHV2. That one had straight album and single versions of the songs... not remix/edits like the IC had. I dunno if this was some weird way for Warners to make people buy the albums to get versions that were closer to the versions they knew. "Borderline" and "Lucky Star" were the only ones that remotely resembled their actual single counterparts.

I made my own 4-disc Madonna hits compilation that is complete.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-17-2009, 02:40 PM
After years of waiting, Incubus finally has its GH CD, Monuments and Melodies. A 2-CD set, with 26 tracks, of which 11 are new or never-before released. Now [i]this is a deserving "best of" collection! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
06-17-2009, 03:36 PM
So both of their songs and 24 additional tracks no one wants? :p

I got a Cee-Lo greatest hits at Circuit City the day they closed. It was $1.20. In the liner notes, I discover he only had two albums. What the heck? Worth $1.20, but I would've been majorly annoyed if I'd paid more.

What about bands like, say, Semisonic? They had one real hit ("Closing Time"), and a couple of "almosts" ("Singing in Your Sleep" and "Secret Smile"). They're all on one album (Feeling Strangely Fine). Why not leave it in print and skip the hits compilation?

Darth Jax
06-17-2009, 07:19 PM
they put out a Martika greatest hits cd to capitalize on the fact that Em sampled toy soldiers.

Bel-Cam Jos
06-18-2009, 04:47 PM
So both of their songs and 24 additional tracks no one wants? :pHmmm... both eh...

"Pardon Me"
"Dig"
"Stellar"
"Wish You Were Here"
"Anna Molly"
"Megalomanic"
"Drive"
"Nice to Know You"
"Love Hurts"

Or was that a gibe like how Offspring has just one song, changing the lyrics and length of guitar solos a bit? :p They did a pretty good cover of Prince's "Let's Go Crazy," and had a live version of something I fail to recall right now.

Enjoy Incubus.

El Chuxter
06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
So, Drive and Pardon Me are both on there. :)

Mad Slanted Powers
06-25-2009, 06:02 PM
Looking at Allmusic.com, I see 12 Incubus songs (not counting "Black Heart Inertia", a new song on this compilation) that charted in the top 10 of the Modern Rock charts. I'm not familiar with some of them, but one song I do like is "Megalomaniac", which was #1 on that chart. So, they have at least three songs. The Pixies only had 6 songs on that chart, and they were certainly deserving of a "Best of" compilation.

2-1B
06-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Pardon Me is the only Incubus song I could think of. I think I saw them at Ozzfest one year but I can't recall taking interest.

Hey Chux, I know what you mean about wanting to buy the 1 or 2 bonus tracks from iTunes or elsewhere...when they released that "Gold" collection of Aerosmith songs a few years back, I was able to buy the one song I needed (Ain't Enough) for a dollar.

I also bought some interesting Aero-tunes from other compilations that I resisted buying the complete CD, thankfully.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Here are all the Greatest Hits/Best of CDs I can think of that I own:

The Police
John Williams movies (although it's just a tease from his movies 1969-99)
Incubus
Stone Temple Pilots
Staind
The B-52s
Natalie Merchant
Def Leppard
Van Halen (Vol.1... have yet to see #2)
Depeche Mode
Bruce Springsteen
Michael Jackson
John Mellencamp
ZZ Top
They Might Be Giants
Bon Jovi
Huey Lewis & News
Mariah Carey (her #1s)
Fleetwood Mac
Garbage
Smashing Pumpkins
Tom Petty & Heartbreakers
Men at Work
Queen
Howard Jones
Bruce Hornsby & Range
INXS
Blink 182

Most are decent to pretty good, and serve as a playlist by which to do grading at home or school. It's a fairly broad variety, too. And these don't include the various 80s, 90s, genre By the Original Artists, or movie soundtracks with different songs (Clerks, Watchmen, etc.) compilations I have, either.

Blue2th
08-30-2009, 08:56 AM
Incubus
Staind
Natalie Merchant
They Might Be Giants
Garbage
Smashing Pumpkins
Howard Jones

They never had enough hits to fill a "Greatest Hits" I could be wrong though. Maybe a "The Best Of"

Garbage is a great band though, everything I've heard them do is good, and Howard Jones had some cool stuff.
I'd say Blink 182, but they had a lot of hits, and I like Adam's Song and Miss You.
Didn't Natalie Merchant and Incupus only have one or two hits?
Staind...what a whiny!
Smashing Pumpkins...what a whimpy!

Just my opinion, I know a lot of people like Smashing Pumpkins including all my nieces and sisters. :rolleyes:

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 09:09 AM
I'll admit, I've heard less of N. Merchant's songs on that CD than the ones I have ("Kind and Generous," "Carnival," and "Wonder" mainly), and see earlier posts in this thread regarding Incubus' hits. There are something like 31 tracks on TMBG, since many of theirs are less than 2:00 long. Yeah, Staind and SP are a tad on the "emo" side at times, but some of them are good rock songs, too.

Darth Jax
08-30-2009, 09:28 AM
you left prince of your list. his 2 cd hits is pretty darn good. and i don't typically like that music.

the problem with mariah carey #1's is that they're all remixes. so they sound like the songs you know, but aren't quite the songs you know.

queen's first 2 greatest hits cd's are good, the third is pretty much all filler in my opinion.

natalie merchant doesn't deserve a greatest hits collection.

garbage had a lot of hits, but when you really only release 2 cd's, do you really need a greatest hits. don't get me wrong, i listen to it a lot, but still...

van halen 1 is good, but so is best of both worlds.

blink 182 needs a true greatest hits cd, not that abomination that they have

Mad Slanted Powers
08-30-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, if you're going to post a list of your greatest hits collection, here is mine

ABBA - Gold - Greatest Hits
Tori Amos - Tales of a Librarian
Bachman-Turner Overdrive - Best of B.T.O. (Remastered Hits)
The Beach Boys - Sounds of Summer - The Very Best of the Beach Boys
The Beatles - 1962-1966
The Beatles - 1967-1970
Chuck Berry - The Definitive Collection
David Bowie - Best of Bowie
The Cars - Complete Greatest Hits
Johnny Cash - 16 Biggest Hits
Chicago - The Very Best Of: Only the Beginning
The Clash - The Essential Clash
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen - Too Much Fun
Elvis Costello - The Very Best of Elvis Costello & the Attractions
Cream - The Very Best of Cream
Credence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle
Devo - Greatest Hits
Devo - Greatest Misses
The Doors - The Best of the Doors
Electric Light Orchestra - Strange Magic: The Best of Electric Light Orchestra
Enya - Paint the Sky With Stars
The Fixx - Greatest Hits - One Thing Leads to Another
The Guess Who - Greatest Hits
Heart - Greatest Hits (Mostly the 70's stuff, nothing after Passionworks I don't think)
Elton John - Greatest Hits (through about 75 or 76)
Kraftwerk - The Model - Retrospective 1975-1978
Led Zeppelin - not exactly greatest hits, but both box sets that have all of their studio album tracks and a few other tracks
Ray Lynch - Best of
Paul McCartney - All the Best (but not all the songs I wanted)
Minor Threat - Complete Discography - also not a greatest hits, but everything the did, which fits on one CD
The Monkees - again, not a greatest hits, but the Listen to the Band box set
Monty Python - The Final Rip Off - sort of a greatest hits with new links between sketches.
The Moody Blues - The Best of the Moody Blues
Alan Parsons Project - The Definitive Collection
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits (2008 version)
Pink Floyd - Echoes: The Best of Pink Floyd
Pixies - Death to the Pixies (second disc is a live set)
The Police - Their Greatest Hits, also have Message in a Box with all their studio albums included
Elvis Presley - 30 #1 Hits
Queen - Greatest Hits (looks to be the U.K. version of this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greatest_Hits_(Queen_album)) as I bought mine while on a trip to Hong Kong)
Rolling Stones - Forty Licks
Rush - Chronicles
Screaming Trees - Anthology SST Years 1985-1989 (so not a greatest hits as this was before their big hit(s))
Smashing Pumpkins - Greatest Hits (the rarer two disc version with b-sides)
The Smiths - Singles
Steely Dan - A Decade of Steely Dan
Styx - Greatest Hits
Supertramp - The Very Best of Supertramp
Sweet - The Best of Sweet
Talking Heads - Sand in the Vaseline: Popular Favorites
Talking Heads - Once in a Lifetime box set
The Tragically Hip - Yer Favourites
The Who - The Ultimate Collection
X - Beyond and Back: The X Anthology
Neil Young - Decade

Wow. A lot more than I realized.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-30-2009, 03:15 PM
You blow mine away, MSP... because yours is alphabetized. :pleased:

Jax you left prince of your list.Actually, no. As that was only a list of those I own (but feel free to mail me it; I won't turn it down :rolleyes: ).

Darth Duranium
08-30-2009, 06:43 PM
Don't forget the Best Of Blind Melon or the Best of Yazoo (2 albums).
The Best of X? Not so sure 'bout that one.:)

Pixies compilations are fine by me... they were huge in Europe.

Humorous list here:

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/06/23/the-ten-worst-greatest-hits-albums-of-all-time/

Best of Alien Ant Farm?

Mad Slanted Powers
08-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I forgot to include Death to the Pixies on my list. The was one disc of best of and one live disc. I never got Wave of Mutilation: The Best of the Pixies because I don't think there was anything on there I didn't already have.

Blue2th
08-30-2009, 07:00 PM
Don't forget the Best Of Blind Melon or the Best of Yazoo (2 albums).
The Best of X? Not so sure 'bout that one.:)

Humorous list here:

http://newsroom.mtv.com/2009/06/23/the-ten-worst-greatest-hits-albums-of-all-time/

Best of Alien Ant Farm?
Pixies are cool.

Pretty pathetic list there.

Fastball was actually pretty good.

Alien Ant Farm huh, that's funny. Thing is, their one hit was written by Michael Jackson.

"Annie are you ok, are you ok, are you ok Annie"

or

"Annie are you Oakley, are you Oakley, are you you Annie Oakley" :crazed:

Darth Jax
08-30-2009, 07:24 PM
i started looking at cd's and was surprised by how many greatest hits/song compilations i have (many of which i bought or were gifted for only 1 song):
ABBA - Gold
Aerosmith - Big Ones & Greatest Hits
Al Green - Greatest Hits
Allman Brothers - Greatest Hits
Barry Manilow - Essential Barry Manilow (2 disc set)
Bauhaus - 79-83 vol 1
the Beach Boys - Sounds of Summer
the Beatles - #1s & 67-70 (2 disc set)
Better Than Ezra - Greatest Hits
Billy Joel - Great Hits vol 1 & 2
Billy Squier - 16 Strokes
the Black Crowes - Best of 90-99
Blink-182 - Greatest Hits
Blondie - Best of
Blood, Sweat & Tears - Greatest Hits
the Blues Brothers - the Definitive Collection
Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper: the Best of
Bo Diddley - 20th Century Masters
Bob Dylan - Best of & Very Best of (both 2 disc sets)
Bob Marley - Gold & Legend (both 2 disc sets)
Bob Seger - Greatest Hits
Britney Spears - My Prerogative (Greatest Hits)
Bruce Springsteen - Essential Bruce Springsteen (3 disc set)
the Carpenters - the Singles
Cheap Trick - Greatest Hits
Chicago - Best of & Heart of Chicago
Chris Isaak - Best of
Chuck Berry - Anthology
the Commodores - Gold (2 disc set)
Creedence Clearwater Revival - Chronicle vol. 1
Crosby, Stills & Nash - Greatest Hits
the Cure - Staring at the Sea the Singles 79-85
Def Leppard - Vault
Depeche Mode - the Singles 81>85
the Doors - Best of (2 disc set)
the Drifters - Drifters Collection
Duran Duran - Decade
the Eagles - Greatest Hits vol 1 & 2
Earth, Wind & Fire - Best of
Elton John - Rocket Man: #1's
Elvis Presley - Top Ten Hits vol 1 & 2
Erasure - Pop, the first 20 hits
Eric Clapton - Cream of Clapton
the Four Tops - the Four Tops Collection
Frank Sinatra - Gold
Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Bang! the Greatest Hits
Garbage - Absolute Garbage
Geroge Benson - Best of
George Thorogood the Destroyers - the Baddest
Goldfinger - Best of
Grand Funk Railroad - Best of
Green Day - International Superhits
Guns n Roses - Greatest Hits
Harry Belafonte - Very Best of
Huey Lewis - Time Flies... the Best of
Ike & Tina Turner - Very Best of
INXS- Greatest Hits
Iron Maiden - Essential Iron Maiden (2 disc set)
the Jackson 5 - Ultimate Collection
Jethro Tull - Best of
Jim Croce - Greatest Hits
Jimi Hendrix - Smash Hits
Jimmy Buffett - Meet Me in Margaritaville (2 disc set) & Songs You Know By Heart
Joe Cocker - Greatest Hits
John Lennon - John Lennon Collection
John Mellencamp - Best That I Could Do
Journey - Greatest Hits
Judas Priest - Best of
the Kinks - Come Dancing with the Kinks
KISS - Smashes, Thrashes, and Hits
Led Zeppelin - Mothership (2 disc set)
Little River Band - Greatest Hits
Louis Prima - Collector's Series
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Skynyrd's Innyrds
Madonna - Immaculate Collection & Something to Remember
Mariah Carey - #1s
Marvin Gaye - Greatest Hits
Men at Work - Contraband
Metallica - S&M (2 disc set) & Live ***** (live box set)
Ministry - Greatest Fits
Motley Crue - Decade of Decadence
N-Trance - Best of
Neil Diamond Greatest Hits 66-92 (2 disc set) & 12 Greatest Hits
New Order - Best of
the Offspring - Greatest Hits
Ozzy Osbourne - Ozzman Cometh & Tribute (live hits with Randy Rhoads)
Queen - Classic Queen & Greatest Hits (the purple & maroon cover versions)
Quiet Riot - Greatest Hits
Pantera - Far Beyond the Great Southern Cowboy's Vulgar Hits
Paul McCartney & Wings - Wingspan
Paul Oakenfold - Greatest Hits and Remixes
Paul Simon - Negotiations and Lies
Pet Shop Boys - Discography
Peter Gabriel - Shaking the Tree
Phil Collins - the Hits
the Platters - Platters 20 Greatest Hits
the Police - Every Breath You Take: The Singles
Prince - the Hits (1 & 2) & Very Best of
RATT - RATT n Roll
Ray Charles - Very Best of
Rob Zombie - Past, Present and Future
the Rolling Stones - Hot Rocks (64-71) & Jump Back (71-93) (both 2 disc sets)
Rush - Gold (2 disc set)
Sammy Hagar - Essential Sammy Hagar
Scorpions - Box of Scorpions
Simon & Garfunkel - Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits
Simply Red - Greatest Hits
Sly & the Family Stone - Higher!
Smashing Pumpkins - Rotten Apples
Smashmouth - AllStar Hits
the Smiths - Sound of the Smiths (2 disc set)
Steely Dan - Definitive Collection
Steve Miller Band - Greatest Hits
Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble - Greatest Hits
Stevie Wonder - Definitive Collection & Song Review
Styx - Greatest Hits
Sublime - Greatest Hits
Supertramp - Very Best of
the Tempations - Temptations Collection
Tesla - Times Makin' Changes
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits
Tupac - Greatest Hits 1 & 2
U2 - Best of 80-90 & 18 Singles
UB40 - Best of
Van Halen - Best of Both Worlds
Van Morrison - Best of
the Who - Best of
Will Smith - Greatest Hits
ZZ Top - Greatest Hits

Mad Slanted Powers
08-30-2009, 07:38 PM
Rush - Gold (2 disc set)Another one I didn't include, Rush - Chronicles.

El Chuxter
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I ain't even going to try to list mine. My CD collection scares people, and a large chunk of it are hits compilations (whether deserving or not).

TeeEye7
08-31-2009, 12:55 AM
Looking at those titles, either you're a bunch of kids....or I'm very old. :(

Perhaps a little of both. Lawrence Welk, anyone?

Blue2th
08-31-2009, 06:18 AM
"I see you have constructed a new list, your skills are complete, indeed you are powerful as the emperor has foreseen."

Bel-Cam Jos
09-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Hey, I actually knew of AAF from their first hit, "The Movies." Then the cover of "S C" came out, and they became a one-hit One-der with two songs.

I forget that I have a relatively small CD collection compared to most, so Chux, you could try to max out the character limit in a post here it you wanted.

"With all the albums out there, you'll never make it past the first letter."
"Then I'll see you at 'L'!"

DarkArtist
09-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Queen apparently enjoys having 87 different greatest hits CDs and selling them all at Target alongside no other material.

but at least their first Greatest Hits as well as Classic Queen were great albums.... true they have been released umpteen times but the music is still something you get sing to.

not sure how many GH CD's I have... i now download my music so i make my own GH's but i think i can list the ones i have:

Queen: Greatest Hits (Gold Package - 3 CD set with both Classic Queen and the original version included)
The Best of the Doors
Eagles Greatest Hits 1 & 2
The Ramones Greatest Hits
Aerosmith Greatest Hits
Matchbox Twenty GH
Beatles 1
Elton John GH 1 & 2
Duran Duran Decade and GH (basically Decade with added songs)
Guns & Roses GH
Barenaked Ladies Classics #1
U2 GH 1 & 2
Michael Jackson History
VH1 presents The Go Go's GH
Richard Marx GH
Bruce Springsteen GH
ZZ Tops GH
Van Halen GH
Rolling Stones GH
Prince GH
Journey GH
Huey Lewis and the News GH
Beach Boys GH
The Cure GH (plus Acoustic version of GH as well)

not sure if I have other GH's

El Chuxter
09-04-2009, 01:31 PM
If you really want, BCJ, I can try. It's not that I care about sharing; I just imagine it'd be boring. I've got everything in a Word file (which I've been slowly transferring to Excel), so it shouldn't be tough at all.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Yes. I really want. I want candy... IIIIII want ca-an-dy. :D

elvandrik
09-04-2009, 10:55 PM
I'd actually like to see the Rebel Ground Crew from the Scramble onYavin 3-pack added to the greatest hits line.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Easy answer: release an Ultimate for Episodes II-VI. :thumbsup:

dr_evazan22
09-07-2009, 09:50 AM
I got an email from Amazon that advertises 50 digital download albums for $5 each. After clicking thru, I see they have The Best of Bow Wow Wow. I figured that's definitely worthy of inclusion in the Jedi Archives for Undeserving GH compilations. Half of the appeal of the song when I first heard it was the chick with ... it was either a bald head or a mohawk, and I thought it was sexy. This best of could've been released as a single!

I ended up purchasing "The Roots Come Alive", by the Roots; and "The Sound of Madness", by Shinedown.

Mad Slanted Powers
09-07-2009, 12:12 PM
Plus, the song was just "Bo Diddley" with different lyrics.

El Chuxter
09-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Best of Bow Wow Wow is actually one of the weirder ones I have. They had two songs ("I Want Candy," which turns out was a cover, and "C30, C60, C90, Go," which obviously never was popular here or people would've heard of it). I found it at K-Mart for $2 during this brief period last year when they had all sorts of good stuff (including actual albums by Brian Wilson and Buddy Holly) for that price. Turns out, even though nothing else was a hit, it was a pretty good album for cheesy new wave pseudo-punk.

Darth Duranium
09-07-2009, 03:57 PM
If I remember correctly, Bow Wow Wow was made up of members of Adam and the Ants (sans Adam, who went insane recently) and that mohican Annabella chick. Malcolm McLaren (manager of the Sex Pistols) decided to have her pose nude on the cover when she was 17... a somewhat controversial decision.

I just remember I Want Candy too... the rest are gone in my memory.

How about the Best of Heaven 17 as undeserving of a GH package? Or Scritti Politti? There's gotta be Best of The Flock Of Seagulls... comes with a large tub of hair mousse.:D

Mad Slanted Powers
09-07-2009, 04:19 PM
There's gotta be Best of The Flock Of Seagulls... comes with a large tub of hair mousse.:DAt least they had three hits.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I bought three (technically four) other Best of...s today: Earth, Wind & Fire; U2 (both CDs... 1980-1990 and 1990-2000); and New Order. Bless Best Buy coupons and sale prices. :pleased:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I don't actually own any greatest hits CDs, but I have some of the albums in my iTunes. Let's see:
*The Beatles: 1
*Black Sabbath
*Country Joe & The Fish
*Electric Light Orchestra
*Elvis Presley
*Green Day
*Jefferson Airplane
*Lynyrd Skynyrd
*Moody Blues
*Pink Floyd (a few of them)
*Queen
*Rolling Stones
*Simon & Garfunkel

I have many or all of the albums of The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, and Simon & Garfunkel in addition to those greatest hits ones, but I don't care enough about the others to search out anything else from them.

2-1B
09-08-2009, 07:11 PM
John, you need the first 4 Sabbath albums at least...and it would be a good idea to include 5 and 6 while you're at it.
But definitely the first 4. :)

El Chuxter
09-09-2009, 12:12 AM
7 and 8 aren't too bad, considering they're cheap, and I'd say 9-10 are as necessary as 5-6.

El Chuxter
09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
You know who deserves a greatest hits album?

Suburban Boys. They rocked the casbah, yo.

Mind you, I've never heard them, but they must be awesome. As in STANSE-class awesome.

Bel-Cam Jos
09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
The Essentials series did one for them way back in 2018. Don't you remember that?

- Sincerely,
Future Bel-Cam's clone's grandson

Qui-Long Gone
09-10-2009, 10:19 PM
Well, this technically doesn't fall under undeserving, but Weird Al is releasing a Greatest Hits album...20+ songs! :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
09-10-2009, 11:01 PM
Wow! That includes the "extra gory" version of "The Night Santa Went Crazy." That alone makes it worth getting.

Unless you have the single for "Amish Paradise," which I do, so I already have that version.

For some reason, that album seems skewed to his later stuff. Where's "Mr Frump in the Iron Lung" or "This Is the Life"?

Bel-Cam Jos
09-12-2009, 08:12 AM
I wonder if "TITL" couldn't be included due to its connection to a film. And it's a 2-disc set, with 38 songs (take, that The Essentials Men Without Hats! ), with the track list as follows:

DISC 1
Another One Rides The Bus
Polkas On 45
Eat It
I Lost On Jeopardy
Yoda
One More Minute
Like A Surgeon
Dare To Be Stupid
Dog Eat Dog
Lasagna
Melanie
Fat
UHF (single version)
The Biggest Ball Of Twine In Minnesota
Trigger Happy
Smells Like Nirvana
You Donít Love Me Anymore
Bedrock Anthem
Frankís 2000" TV
Jurassic Park

DISC 2
Since Youíve Been Gone
Amish Paradise
Gump
Everything You Know Is Wrong
The Night Santa Went Crazy (extra gory version)
Your Horoscope For Today
Itís All About The Pentiums
The Saga Begins
Albuquerque
eBay
Bob
Hardware Store
Iíll Sue Ya
Canadian Idiot
Pancreas
Donít Download This Song
White & Nerdy
Trapped In The Drive-Thru Why more of his "current" hits? Probably the internet's ability to make them more widespread.

Which would I have removed and replaced with others? "Pancreas," "Your Horoscope..." "Frank's 2000" TV," and "D.E.D."

In their places? At least one more "Polkas..." song, "Nature Trail to Hell," "Mr. Popeil," and "Velvet Elvis."

El Chuxter
09-12-2009, 10:49 AM
Frank's 2000" TV is the most overrated pice of carp in his oeuvre. He should forget it was ever recorded.

Qui-Long Gone
09-12-2009, 11:46 AM
I would have loved three more polkas

Bel-Cam Jos
04-17-2010, 06:05 PM
With Chuxter's admission of a vast Best of/Greatest Hits/Classic/Essentials collection, I realized I never posted a list (LIST :drool: ) of my own. I bought Hall & Oates and Don Henley CDs today (and almost picked up Foo Fighters' one too, but passed). In no particular order, beyond when I remember the title:

Daryl Hall & John Oates
Don Henley
Smashing Pumpkins
Men At Work
Queen
Fleetwood Mac
Pat Benatar
Natalie Merchant
Bon Jovi
ZZ Top
Van Halen
Staind
Def Leppard
Bruce Springsteen
Weird Al Yankovic
Incubus
Stone Temple Pilots
John Williams
Earth, Wind, and Fire
Huey Lewis & the News
Michael Jackson
U2
They Might Be Giants
The Police
Matchbox Twenty
Garbage
New Order
Depeche Mode
Howard Jones
INXS
Stan Getz
B-52s
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers
Mariah Carey
Blink 182
Living Colour
Bruce Hornsby & the Range
John Mellencamp

It's not a huge compilation, but if it was a digital playlist, it'd be decent to carry around.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I noticed a "Best of Sammy Hagar" compilation at BestBuy. Now, I could give you 55 chances to name his biggest and likely most famous hit song. I mean, the music video has a Kenner Han Solo figure in it. But, of those 10 songs on the CD, you know which one is NOT included?

That's right. But unlike Mr. H who said he "can't pass," I did just that and left it on the shelf.

p.s. And if your guess about his hit included MORE of an alcoholic beverage known for a worm in the bottle as part of the title, THAT wasn't there either.

El Chuxter
02-18-2012, 02:44 PM
The problem with Sammy Hagar is that, though he has a ton of great songs, he has relatively few hits, and they're on a few different labels that don't get along very well. So there's no compilation that covers his entire solo career, at least as far as I'm aware. The one that has "I Can't Drive 55" is called Unboxed, and isn't a really cheap album. (Not expensive, just not likely to be in a $5 bin.) I don't think there's a compilation that covers his current label; "Mas Tequila" is on Red Voodoo, and both it and Marching to Mars are awesome albums.

Even if the format is declining, a 2-disc compilation covering his solo career, with a few selections from bands he's been in (including that one with the German guy), would be awesome.

I don't discriminate against any Van Halen singer. But I do think it's interesting that it seems like the actual talent of a given VH singer is inversely proportional to how popular and iconic said singer will be in the band. (Let's be honest, Roth is hardly a great singer, and Cherone is bloody amazing in Extreme.)

Mad Slanted Powers
02-18-2012, 03:16 PM
I have Standing Hampton on vinyl. It had all of the Sammy Hagar hits I needed - "Heavy Metal", "Baby's On Fire", and "Can't Get Loose." I like the Don Felder "Heavy Metal" song better than Sammy's, but the only way I can get it on iTunes is to buy the whole Heavy Metal soundtrack.