PDA

View Full Version : Cable vs Satallite

Jedi_Kal-El
02-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Which do you prefer? I myself recently dropped my cable for Direct TV because my cable company has been dropping chanels, and raising their prices for months. I finally got fed up at them not only charging more, but moving certain chanels(like Sci-Fi)to a different package, where I would have to pay yet more for chanels I had already had before, and ones I didn't want.

I had Dish Network a few years ago, and I liked it, but I got better offer from Direct TV this time around so I went with them.

So which works better for you?

DarthQuack
02-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Time Warner Cable works for me...it's a free work benefit along with all the stations out there to go with it ;) yup, the Playboy Channel, Howard Stern On Demand....it's awesome baby.

Rocketboy
02-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I've had Dish Network for a few years now and I really like it.
Good selection and the price we pay is similar to cable, but we get far more channels.

And all that talk of losing the signal when it rains/snows - it has happened in a rainstorm maybe twice, and it was a hard rain.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-03-2008, 02:37 PM
I've had Dish Network for a few years now and I really like it.
Good selection and the price we pay is similar to cable, but we get far more channels.

And all that talk of losing the signal when it rains/snows - it has happened in a rainstorm maybe twice, and it was a hard rain.

Back when we had Dish, we had a bad storm with 60mph winds that did nothing to inturrupt the signal. A week later we had 15mph winds that knocked the dish out of alignment. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Rocketboy
02-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Back when we had Dish, we had a bad storm with 60mph winds that did nothing to inturrupt the signal. A week later we had 15mph winds that knocked the dish out of alignment. I'm still trying to figure that one out.It was probably like when you can't open a jar and someone else comes along and pops the kid right off - you just loosened it.

Exhaust Port
02-03-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm getting pretty sick of cable and their pricing. It seems we get a yearly increase meanwhile or options for lowering our bill decrease. I wish they had a better breakdown of their tier channels. Put news, sports, educational, local, etc. all on seperate tiers so I don't have to buy 100's of channels I don't want. It's also very frustrating that since HD is the future of TV that they get away with still charging a premium for it. Um, in most cases it's the same programing they show on the SD stations so there isn't any increased production cost.

I've looked at satellite but I'm not that impressed. The one big thing I like about cable is that I can endlessly split the incoming signal and put a TV anywhere. Sure I won't get the premium channels but that's fine when we plop a TV in the sunroom to watch a football game. We have quite a few outlets and most a TV on them. Looking at satellite you have to pay a premium to add other TV's. How annoying.

El Chuxter
02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Satellite would win. It can fly.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Satellite would win. It can fly.

Did I memntion that I love your witty replies Chux? Keep em commin bud.:thumbsup:

Kidhuman
02-03-2008, 10:26 PM
Back when we had Dish, we had a bad storm with 60mph winds that did nothing to interrupt the signal. A week later we had 15mph winds that knocked the dish out of alignment. I'm still trying to figure that one out.

I work for Dish Network and its what RB said, the 60 mph loosened the dish and the 15 mph finished it off. It only takes 1/8" for signal to drop really.

I have had all 3, cable, Direct and Dish. Dish offers the best prices and programming choices. Direct TV is a pain in the arse. Cable constantly jacks their rates up for no reason. I have lost signal maybe 4 times in 4 years and it was in real heavy rains and for a few minutes only.

CaptainSolo1138
02-03-2008, 10:50 PM
I have cable. I'll only get rid of it if Dish will carry CBC and give me an invisible reciever. It doesn't matter how hard you try, you can't hide that ugly thing.

Rocketboy
02-03-2008, 11:11 PM
I have had all 3, cable, Direct and Dish. Dish offers the best prices and programming choices. Direct TV is a pain in the arse. Cable constantly jacks their rates up for no reason. I have lost signal maybe 4 times in 4 years and it was in real heavy rains and for a few minutes only.Sounds like a commercial but the man (kid?) speaks the truth.

I have cable. I'll only get rid of it if Dish will carry CBC and give me an invisible reciever. It doesn't matter how hard you try, you can't hide that ugly thing.The receiver ain't that bad. And I had CBC for a few minutes...until I realized it was actually the BBC.

Kidhuman
02-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Actually, you can hide the receiver as Dish allows UHF remoets for their boxes, so you can stick them in a closet or something like that.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Actually, you can hide the receiver as Dish allows UHF remoets for their boxes, so you can stick them in a closet or something like that.

I don't care if I have a dish on my house. Last time I had it, they actually put a pole in the ground and had the dish behind my house. I'f they do put one one the roof this time, then no big whoop. I'm just tired of paying out the arse for very little channel selection.

Kidhuman
02-04-2008, 04:06 PM
The dish is outside, the receiver is the box that goes in the house

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2008, 04:27 PM
The dish is outside, the receiver is the box that goes in the house

I'm not really concerned about a receiver either. Had one with my cable, so again, no big deal.

TeeEye7
02-04-2008, 05:39 PM
I just lost about 40 linear feet of fence weekend before last in a sizable winter storm. We get some spectacular winds from time to time, so it's cable for me by default. A dish would end up being the Mother of All Frisbees.

LusiferSam
02-04-2008, 09:34 PM
I've truly had all three. I had cable when I lived in Colorado. I've got Dish right now. And as a kid my parents had the big honking dish. I've got friends and family that have Direct TV and aside from programing I've seen little difference between Dish and Direct TV. Cable was ok, nothing great. I loved the big dish. I knew how to work that almost as well at the repair man. I knew most of ins and outs of that thing. Any way I like Dish so I'll stick it with it. Yeah, it's a pain the couples times a year we loose the signal because of a winter storm, but I don't need to watch that much TV anyway.

Rocketboy
02-07-2008, 10:04 AM
We got 10-12 inches of snow last night and had zero problems with our dish.
F*ck cable.

stillakid
02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
I've never had satEllite so I can't really compare the two. I have no issues with cable aside from the cost. Having a high speed internet connection is the primary motivation for me though. It's nice to have quick easy access to sites like www.dictionary.com (http://www.dictionary.com/) where I'm able to proofread things I've written, like posts and thread titles, here. (hint)

I've lost count of how many chanNels Time-Warner has, but it's safe to say that I watch just a scant few. The rest are just in the way.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-07-2008, 03:35 PM
We got 10-12 inches of snow last night and had zero problems with our dish.
F*ck cable.

We get alot of snow here as well and I've never heard anyone complain about it killing signal.

Getting it hooked up tomorrow...can't wait.