PDA

View Full Version : That alleged new "Clone Wars" movie...

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah... I know that this is technically about a movie and it's also about the new TV series. I'm surprised no one has started a thread about the rumoured launch of the series that's been buzzing around on the 'net this morning.

Anyhow, it's been rumoured that the first 3 or 4 episodes are being cobbled together for a theatrical release to launch the series in the autumn. It looks like the release date would be sometime in August.

From theforce.net:

Animated Clone Wars Theatrical Release?
Posted By Philip (philip@rebelscum.com) on February 4, 2008

Then again, nothing has been decided, though clearly, everybody that heard such a thing may happen got very excitied about it.

Before you read the information below, I'll tell you the news (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Animated_Clone_Wars_Theatrical_Release_110151.asp# ) was big enough I knew we had to ask for confirmation from Lucasfilm before posting it. It's a good thing because LFL did have something to say about it. I realize you'll read this out of order, but I want to make sure nobody gets the wrong information.

When I asked Lucasfilm to comment on this news, here's what a Lucasfilm spokesman had to say:

"I'd like to clarify Hasbro comments this AM about the Clone Wars TV (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Animated_Clone_Wars_Theatrical_Release_110151.asp# ) series. We see it as a breakthrough animated television (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Animated_Clone_Wars_Theatrical_Release_110151.asp# ) series and are exploring a number of innovative ways to introduce it to the public. No decisions regarding release strategy have been made yet."

I followed up with just one question. Is a theatrical release introducing the series in the works and received this response: "It's one of the many things being discussed but we have no decisions yet. For us it's all about finding a creative way to launch a creative TV series (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Animated_Clone_Wars_Theatrical_Release_110151.asp# )."

Below is the specific information about this from the Hasbro Analysts meeting this morning. At the time I asked for comments from Lucasfilm, the meeting was still going on and Hasbro was expected to clarify their comments before the end of the meeting.

Note, that I'll emphasize again, there has been no Lucasfilm decision regarding this and there certainly has been no date set for anything.

During the Hasbro Fall 2007 Analyst Event this morning, they announced the much-anticipated "Star Wars" Clone Wars animated TV series would have a theatrical launch next year on August 8 and then on TV throughout the fall.

You can listen to it yourself at this link. You have to register to listen. The audio you want to hear is about 56 minutes into the presentation. Hasbro Fall 2007 Analyst Event Audio (http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=68329&p=irol-IRHome).

Thanks to Commander Voltaire and his friend for the link and news.

UPDATE: Our friend Bill from IHNRadio.com (http://ihnradio.com/) pointed us over to an article at Action-Figure.com (http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22558&theme=Printer) regarding this years UK Toy Fair. The writer, Adrian, goes on to speak of how Hasbro keeps areas off limits to the press. See below for a snippet:

"This year, the line off limits to the press was Star Wars.

I couldn't see the logic in this, and so a bit of probing, I got to the bottom of this.

It seems that Clone Wars is going to be big in 2008, and Lucasfilm wants to keep a lot of it hush hush. I don't know much about the Hasbro product, but I do know a bit about Clone Wars.

You all know about the Clone Wars animated Series coming out, right? Well it's hitting this September, and will kick off (in the UK at least) with a cinematic release of the first 3 episodes (note this was confirmed by a couple of Star Wars licensees other than Hasbro). The rest of the episodes will then come out on a yet undecided TV channel."

Click here (http://www.action-figure.com/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=22558&theme=Printer) for the full story.

Nothing has been officially announced yet and no word on how this relates to U.S audiences but lets face it, our hopes are up.

More updates as we get more info. Thanks again to Bill from IHNRadio.com (http://ihnradio.com/).

UPDATE #2: Hot on the heels of his last tip, Bill from IHNRadio.com (http://ihnradio.com/) sent in the folliwng:

"I just came across another tid-bit that may be further quasi-confirmation of a theatrical release for the show. This one is from an article published on Time magazine's Time.Com site this past Thursday about the Lucasfilm Singapore Studio. Here is the relevent quote:

"The Singapore studio will also spearhead Lucasfilm's first animated feature film this year, and its employees will soon make up at least one-third of Lucasfilm's staff."

And here is a link to the actual page where I found this info:" (bottom of the first paragraph)

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1708826-2,00.html

Bill also stumbled upon this quote over at JediNews.co.uk (http://www.jedinews.co.uk/features/feature.aspx?featureID=6) from the UK ToyFair: (With a minor Clone Wars spoiler)

"The LEGO Rep let us into a few spoilers including the fact there will indeed be a feature release in early September here in the UK (a couple of weeks earlier in the US), and he also told us about the characters included with these sets – don’t read the next sentence if you don’t want to know! Rotta is Jabba the Hutt’s nephew or son (there seemed to be some confusion about this) and the first 2 or 3 episodes centre on his kidnapping!"

Click here (http://www.jedinews.co.uk/features/feature.aspx?featureID=6) for the full article. (the quote is in the 7th paragraph down)

Thanks again Bill!

UPDATE #3: AICN (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35489) is now reporting about the possible theatrical release but they have a source saying that it would be 4 Clone Wars episodes (http://www.theforce.net/topstory/story/Animated_Clone_Wars_Theatrical_Release_110151.asp# ) as opposed to 3 and that they would hit theaters around the same time as Indy 4. I can personally buy that it could be 4 episodes as opposed to 3 but I'm not sure I believe in the spring time frame. Why would Lucas want two projects in the theaters at the same time essentially competing with each other? Doesn't make sense to me, for you'd think he'd want to spread his projects out creating separate buzz for each. Just my take on it. Let's not forget that nothing has been officially announced yet, but we'll keep reporting what we hear.

Click here (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35489) for the AICN (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/35489) report.

Thanks to Guillaume from France for the heads up.

El Chuxter
02-04-2008, 12:46 PM
I hate to be such a downer, but, given everything I've seen and read about Clone Wars, I think I'd pass on a theatrical debut. I'll sit at home and watch my Samurai Jack DVDs instead.

Seriously, guys, you can defend this all you want because it has "Star Wars" in the name, but this looks like something that fell out of a sick dog's b*tthole.

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 01:59 PM
I have to say that I'm not all that excited about it either. I was watching the traditionally animated Clone Wars yesterday and thought it was a brilliant masterstroke. This, however, is looking less and less interesting to me. I just posted it 'cos no one else had. LOL

El Chuxter
02-04-2008, 02:11 PM
I was just wondering if I'd given this a fair chance, and looked at the trailer again. It looks like the cut-scenes from a s****y Playstation game. I actually think it looks worse if you're viewing it a second or third time.

I think John Williams should be insulted that his music is being used on this rank turd.

JEDIpartner
02-04-2008, 03:36 PM
LOL Wow... you are being harsher on this than I am!!

Kidhuman
02-04-2008, 03:40 PM
If its the first few episodes and they will air on TV, wy bother watching it in the movies?

El Chuxter
02-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm not trying to be harsh.

However....

The animation looks derivative and primitive, at best.
The idea of Anakin having a Padawan is beyond laughable.
The juxtaposition of realistic backgrounds and abstract characters simply doesn't work.
I don't need to know about Jabba's kid. His dad is a pimp. What else remains to be said?
Asajj Ventress has now returned from the dead, what? Five times now?
We know Lucas doesn't respect his earlier story elements. However, this shouldn't contradict events of Revenge of the Sith.
To be going for a more realistic approach to the Force than Tartakovsky did, the shot of Anakin jumping from STAP to STAP doesn't exactly seem to fit.
Half-naked alien chicks? Plo Koon in armor? How many fans can we wank?
Lucas has said that he will respect all previously-established Clone Wars continuity, but reserves the right to not do so. (Would you like to eat your cake, too, Uncle George?)
Still no TV station carrying this? Shouldn't they be falling all over themselves at the chance to carry a Star Wars show? Or, do they know something we don't?

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2008, 04:23 PM
I'm not trying to be harsh.

However....
The animation looks derivative and primitive, at best.
The idea of Anakin having a Padawan is beyond laughable.
The juxtaposition of realistic backgrounds and abstract characters simply doesn't work.
I don't need to know about Jabba's kid. His dad is a pimp. What else remains to be said?
Asajj Ventress has now returned from the dead, what? Five times now?
We know Lucas doesn't respect his earlier story elements. However, this shouldn't contradict events of Revenge of the Sith.
To be going for a more realistic approach to the Force than Tartakovsky did, the shot of Anakin jumping from STAP to STAP doesn't exactly seem to fit.
Half-naked alien chicks? Plo Koon in armor? How many fans can we wank?
Lucas has said that he will respect all previously-established Clone Wars continuity, but reserves the right to not do so. (Would you like to eat your cake, too, Uncle George?)
Still no TV station carrying this? Shouldn't they be falling all over themselves at the chance to carry a Star Wars show? Or, do they know something we don't?

Amen brother. Let me add to that why would anyone want to go pay for something in theatres that will be on tv free just a few weeks after? I'm content to wait for the small screen myself, and while this is SW, I just can't get worked up for it on the big screen the way I would a major motion picture.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
02-04-2008, 06:26 PM
Plo Koon in armor? How many fans can we wank?
This seems to be a pretty big wank for Dave Filoni, who at CIV showed footage of himself handing out SW toys around the premiere of ROTS dressed as Plo Koon, who is his favorite character. :p

Seeing the preview in a theater at CIV was extremely cool, to apparently everyone there. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

I think people may be overstating Lucas's involvement in the project. Dave Filoni seems more to be the actual leader, with Lucas just kind of watching and occasionally making comments. Filoni himself seems to be a huge SW fan who cares a lot about the property.

All I can say is wait and see. Maybe the show will absolutely suck ***, who knows. (Though I do think that many people think the Tartakovsky cartoons were better than they actually were.)

El Chuxter
02-04-2008, 07:00 PM
I'll watch at least the first episode or two for free on TV. I may be surprised. Who knows? I'd like to be. I'm not holding my breath, though. And I'm certainly not paying to see it. I'd rather regret not seeing it on the big screen a few weeks early, than regret paying $15 to see it and it suck.

I may be slightly biased in my love of the first Clone Wars, since I liked Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory long before that project was announced.

Kidhuman
02-04-2008, 08:28 PM
I agree with Chux. I was never a fan of this type of animation. It reminds me too much of the Beast Wars animation and that blew donkey d**k

Jedi_Kal-El
02-04-2008, 08:45 PM
I agree with Chux. I was never a fan of this type of animation. It reminds me too much of the Beast Wars animation and that blew donkey d**k

You didn't like the BW animation. Why you little....oh wait, I didn't much care for it myself. For me the animation part is ok, but I'm interested more in where the story is going to go with this. Alot of ppl are talking continuity, and I'm big on that. As Chux mentioned, how many times can they bring Asajj back? Is it SW or a Soap Opera? I follow most of the EU that I like, but hey, where's Chewie? How come they havn't brought him back yet? I think the jury will be out on this until the day it actually airs.

Kidhuman
02-04-2008, 08:47 PM
I am huge on the continuity. I dont mind Anakin having a padawan, but this Jabba baby crap is absurd. Maybe its a Jabba Dropping with legs.

figrin bran
02-04-2008, 10:30 PM
We'll be lucky if this series is anywhere near Beast Wars' level of storytelling and character development.

Devil King
02-04-2008, 11:50 PM
I hate to be such a downer, but, given everything I've seen and read about Clone Wars, I think I'd pass on a theatrical debut. I'll sit at home and watch my Samurai Jack DVDs instead.

Seriously, guys, you can defend this all you want because it has "Star Wars" in the name, but this looks like something that fell out of a sick dog's butthole.

Exactly!

Rotta?

Is the SW universe so small that we can't have a story that doesn't play six degrees of seperation? Why does everyone have to be related somehow?

R2-D2 knew Obi-Wan, who knew Padme, who knew Luke, who knew Han Solo, who knew Chewbacca, who knew Yoda who knew Anakin, who built C-3PO; all of whom share parents by marriage.

Christ, is Lucas writing this crap under a pen name?

And if it's cgi animation, I'll have no problem stepping over this crap, just as I have any and everything (except OT figures) Star Wars since the release of Episode III.

Rocketboy
02-12-2008, 10:10 AM
Like I said in the CW series thread: an official announcement (http://starwars.com/theclonewars/news/announcement.html).
In theaters in August and on Cartoon Network and TNT after.

Sinscia Fat'o
02-20-2008, 05:03 PM
I liked the way aliens look in this style, but i hate the way humans look...I just wish they would have stuck with the animation of the last series. (Even though i'm not a big fan of it.) The last series just told the story and din't worry about being fancy, which is George's problem.

Though i like how everyone is related, it gives the OT links to the PT other than Vader and the droids.

Devil King
03-12-2008, 08:25 PM
(Though I do think that many people think the Tartakovsky cartoons were better than they actually were.)

I think this has something to do with the fact that the show seemed so great because the prequels sucked so hard.

Rocketboy
03-12-2008, 11:48 PM
I think this has something to do with the fact that the show seemed so great because the prequels sucked so hard.I like the Prequels more that the Tartarsauseki toons.

2-1B
03-13-2008, 12:40 AM
I've warmed up to this...alot.

I just watched the Filoni preview bit on MTV and I think it looks pretty good. I hate the concept of Obi-Wan wearing Stormtrooper armor (but I blame that on stupid GendNuts) and Anakin having a padawan is silly but I will check this out.

I think the animation looks great, this is more to my liking than any other cartoons I've seen.

I'm looking forward to this and I'll definitely see it in the theater. :thumbsup:

Devil King
03-13-2008, 12:58 AM
I like the Prequels more that the Tartarsauseki toons.

Cheers. To each their own. But I still think that many of those who liked the cartoon more than the movies might have realized the cartoons were more SW than the SW movies.

Is that an avatar from Oregon Trail? I loved that game. We used to play it in computer class in whatever grade it was. The five inch floppy disc was hot.

Rocketboy
03-13-2008, 01:08 AM
I don't completely hate CW or completely love the PT.
I just think CW was more miss than hit (and vice-versa when it came to the PT) - it had its moments, but the second season was pretty lame, IMO, especially when it came to the Grievous and Anakin stories. The first season was fun, but a little too short for each episode, and when they lengthened the eps in season 2 it wasn't handled any better.
And when it comes to Ventress and Durge, the less said/seen the better. The Obi-Wan in clone armor was cool in that part of the story, but that is where it should have ended.

And yeah, that is from Oregon Trail. Kickin' it way old school.
:thumbsup:

2-1B
03-13-2008, 01:58 AM
I also hate Ventress (and Durge), should have included Ventress in my negative part about this new Clone Wars.

Is Durge in this new one ? I hope not...:thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-13-2008, 02:06 AM
I didn't think the Anakin leaping from STAP to STAP looked too unrealistic when you consider he was jumping out of airspeeders in AOTC. The movement seemed far more realistic than the previous series.

I'm more concerned with the continuity. I still haven't read the Clone Wars comics and books, so I'm not sure what all happened, and I'm not sure where this new series is going to fit into it all. They've covered so much of the time between AOTC and ROTS that it seems hard to find a place to fit Anakin having a Padawan with there being no mention of it elsewhere in the EU. However, I still think I can enjoy it regardless of whether I or Lucasfilm considers it canon or not. Before I ever read Dark Empire, I had the audio drama of it, and really enjoyed it. Years later after TPM had been released, I listened again. I still enjoyed it, but thought the story to be a bit silly, and was reminded of how I used to think Coruscant was pronounced.

So, I'm looking forward to it. If it is in the theater, I will probably go see it.

Devil King
03-13-2008, 03:28 AM
I don't completely hate CW or completely love the PT.
I just think CW was more miss than hit (and vice-versa when it came to the PT) - it had its moments, but the second season was pretty lame, IMO, especially when it came to the Grievous and Anakin stories. The first season was fun, but a little too short for each episode, and when they lengthened the eps in season 2 it wasn't handled any better.
And when it comes to Ventress and Durge, the less said/seen the better. The Obi-Wan in clone armor was cool in that part of the story, but that is where it should have ended.

And yeah, that is from Oregon Trail. Kickin' it way old school.
:thumbsup:

Oh, I totally think Clone Wars missed. I just think that the PT missed even more. CW was based on the PT, whihch implies it was going to miss. I just think it appealed to many people because it approached the PT from a more OT perspective, even if it had nothing but what Lucas gave us in the PT up to that point. (Which wasn't much to work with)

And I agree 100% that the second season was far worse than the first.

I'm more concerned with the continuity.

As am I. None of that concern was justified by the Prequel Trilogy, the Clones Wars shorts or what I've heard about the new CW CGI series. And that has everything to do with the fact that it's all been based off the PT, which totally ignores the continuity and mythology established by Lucas himself.

Rocketboy
03-13-2008, 12:06 PM
It seems like there could be a fairly small time frame for the series.
It takes place between Anakin's "graduation" and before he grows his mullet.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
03-13-2008, 07:12 PM
It seems like there could be a fairly small time frame for the series.
It takes place between Anakin's "graduation" and before he grows his mullet.
He's on his way to the ROTS hairdo, though; I like how they're showing how it's now in-between the films as opposed to the first series when he just showed up one day looking about 10 years older.

Continuity may be somewhat of an issue,
as seen by the fact that it's already been well-covered. (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_the_Clone_Wars) But, eh, I guess you're going to have to regard one source (the show or the comics/books) as more canon, or just enjoy it and don't worry about it.

This article (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1581414/20080212/story.jhtml) says that Samuel L. Jackson and Hayden Christensen have recently expressed interest in doing the voices for the series. I would far prefer that to the video game guys they've got now. I wonder if there would be time for either of them to re-dub it? To me, that would make it seem a lot more "Star Wars-y" (though it already does).

As for Durge, the Wookieepedia page for the show says he might be in it but they don't give a source, so who knows. I always felt that he was replaced by Grievous (at least from a real-world/marketing standpoint), so who knows. He was a little over-the-top but I liked him (usually when he wasn't talking).

JEDIpartner
03-14-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm warming up to it too. I'm still not sold on the Ventress and Durge involvement. That seemed to work great for the cartoon but... *shrug*

Bel-Cam Jos
08-15-2008, 11:34 AM
My local newspaper's movie review gave it how many stars, out of a possible four?

Zero.

No stars. They usually will throw out a 1/2 star for crummy movies. They called it an advertisement for the upcoming cartoon (they were surprised at that?), bad characters, lame plot. Hey, I realize that because it's animated, the main audience is for kids (5-11), and I think they'll love it. Adults (meaning the non-parents of said kids) will probably cringe at some of it. I'm just going to see it to look at how they animated the novelization, not to analyze its philosophical implications, historical allusions, and archetypal themes, as I have with the live action movies. :enjoy: :yes:

El Chuxter
08-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Hey, I realize that because it's animated, the main audience is for kids (5-11), and I think they'll love it. Adults (meaning the non-parents of said kids) will probably cringe at some of it.

Theatrically-released cartoons not intended for kids:

Princess Mononoke
Akira
The Triplets of Belleville
The Simpsons Movie
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Heavy Metal
Watership Down

Theatrically-released cartoons intended for kids, that did not make parents cringe (last decade only):

Anything by Pixar
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki (aside from Princess Mononoke)
Almost anything else by Disney
TMNT
Shrek 1-3

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Theatrically-released cartoons not intended for kids:

Princess Mononoke
Akira
The Triplets of Belleville
The Simpsons Movie
Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
Heavy Metal
Watership Down

Theatrically-released cartoons intended for kids, that did not make parents cringe (last decade only):

Anything by Pixar
Anything by Hayao Miyazaki (aside from Princess Mononoke)
Almost anything else by Disney
TMNT
Shrek 1-3

Granted, i'm not a parent, but SHREK 3 didn't make me cringe either.....it actually made me want to demand my money back cos it was a 100 minute piece o' crap; same with TMNT for that matter. :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-15-2008, 12:45 PM
You didn't like TMNT, Shrek 3, or Speed Racer, going so far as to call them all steaming piles of crap. Yet, you love Clone Wars. This is nothing personal whatsoever, but I have to come to the conclusion, therefore, that I would loathe Clone Wars even more than I already suspect. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-15-2008, 01:01 PM
You didn't like TMNT, Shrek 3, or Speed Racer, going so far as to call them all steaming piles of crap. Yet, you love Clone Wars. This is nothing personal whatsoever, but I have to come to the conclusion, therefore, that I would loathe Clone Wars even more than I already suspect. :D

Putting words in my mouth Chux: TMNT was a letdown, Shrek 3 was just awful and yes, Speed Racer was in fact asteaming pile of crap. And I never said I "loved" the Clone Wars, I just said for the most part I enjoyed it. If you're going to quote me or supposedly repeat what I have said, at least get it right. :thumbsup:

Rocketboy
08-15-2008, 11:49 PM
I saw Clone Wars.

Is it bad? Yes.
As horrible as I imagined? Almost.
I now have a slight understanding of how the Prequel haters feel.

I didn't realize just how much I'd mist the 20th Century Fox fanfare. My hopes did improve ever so slightly when I saw the old familiar "A Long Time Ago In A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." and a modified version of the Star Wars logo (Clone Wars version) popped up on the screen and faded to the background, even though I knew there'd be no crawl.

The non droid or clone characters look really bad, maybe even worse than they do online. Lucasfilm claims they are supposed to be stylized and reminiscent of Thunderbirds-type characters. Horse****. When almost everything almost looks like it came from the PT, these character stick out like a sore thumb. They look like unfinished animatics. And the lip-syncing for the characters is so far off. The mouths move as the character talks, but it doesn't match up very well.

People are making far too big a deal out of Jabba's uncle Ziro. Yeah, he's lame as hell, I'm not denying that. What they should have done was call him Capotta The Hutt (since his voice is pretty much Truman Copote (Hell, I even wondered if Phillip Seymour Hoffman did the voice!). At least that would have been a sort of in joke for the adults. I could almost hear the kids in the audience wondering why are they calling her his uncle?

For me, easily the most annoying character (even moreso than Ziro) was Ashoka. I wanted to punch that dumb little ***** in face. Unless some serious changes are made to her personality early in the series I think she will become fairly well hated. And Anakin is far too easily convinced to accept her as his padawan.

It comes as no surprise, but the timeline/continuity still doesn't make any damn sense. In the opening of the movie it is implied that this is very early on the Clone Wars, yet Anakin is no longer Obi-Wan's padawan and he has the scar over his eye (courtesy of Ventress). Anakin says Ashoka (ages 14 or 15) is too young to be a padawan a few times, which contradicts previously established continuity where (IIRC) a youngling must be chosen as a padawan by the age of 13 or he/she is cast out to the agricultural corps (damn, that sounds even dumber that I remember).

Jabba's son was pretty ****ing lame also.

Sam Jackson and Anthony Daniels are totally wasted here, with only a few scenes each.
Anakin didn't really sound much like Anakin.

So what is good about Clone Wars?

Although a wasted opportunity, Sam Jackson is in it, and he makes everything a little better.
Obi-Wan's voice sounded pretty good, as did Yoda and Padme.
Most (but not all) of the action is actually pretty good.
Natalie Portman still looks hot, even as an toon.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2008, 12:10 AM
Remember that this was basically intended as a movie-length cartoon, and it delivers just that. Know thy audience. :D Should put the "only one who is as a little one shall enter" line above the door (rather than the "abandon all hope ye who enter here" doom and gloom one :rolleyes: ) of the theaters. The kids laughed at the funny parts (battle droids, jawas) and cheered when the heroes did well (Anakin, Obi-Wan, not so much with Ahsoka... but the showing I went to had very few girls attending it). I thought there were some very good voice jobs that sounded quite close to the live action actors. As a film, it was poor, but as a lead-in to later shorter episodes, it works very well.

I'll buy the DVD later on, but unless another friend wants to go see it, I doubt I'll see it in the theaters any more than this one time.

Rocketboy
08-16-2008, 12:24 AM
Remember that this was basically intended as a movie-length cartoon, and it delivers just that. Know thy audience. :D Should put the "only one who is as a little one shall enter" line above the door (rather than the "abandon all hope ye who enter here" doom and gloom one :rolleyes: ) of the theaters. According to George, all the Star Wars movies are kids movies.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2008, 12:25 AM
I saw it tonight as well. While it's not on the same level of the films (by any means), I still liked it quite a bit and had fun.

Let's see, bad before good:

*Ahsoka is pretty damn annoying. So is Anakin when he interacts with her. It seems like he calls her "Snips" every time he addresses her, for no reason. I don't really hate her, but she did get on my nerves, constantly trying and mostly failing to be a smartass (to Rotta, after falling down battling Magnaguards on Tatooine: "I thought you liked playing in the sand."). She always has to give nicknames to everything (destroyer droids are "rolling death balls," R2-D2 is "Artooie"). She's not an absolutely terrible character, but I could definitely do without her.
*I really hate the battle droid humor. In TPM, there were a few funny moments, especially with the one trying to arrest Qui-Gon, but I mostly remember them for their awesome "unloading" sequence from the MTT. In AOTC, they were kind of jokey, and ROTS pushed that further with the stupid cutesy voices. In Clone Wars, I honestly think they are mentally retarded. The worst part: when Anakin or Ahsoka tells them they are outnumbered, a droid starts counting to check. Another bad one is a droid calling Ventress "Sir," then correcting himself in an obvious way. Some of their jokes could have been funny if they weren't done so poorly.
*The middle seems to drag on quite a bit. There's a lot of dialogue (which isn't done all that well), some repetition as far as battles go and Dooku constantly visiting Jabba, and a lot of nothing going on.
*There are way too many extreme close-ups on the characters' faces. It was too much.

Now, to the good:
*I absolutely loved the beginning. Was it different? Yeah, but get over it. I loved the "newsreel"-style opening and narration and seeing the various ships and Jedi, if only briefly. It got you right into the action and also let you know that this wasn't the normal Star Wars.
*The battle scenes were, for the most part, really sweet. I still love the part on Teth when Anakin jumps from STAP to STAP, and the Christophsis stuff was great too.
*The animation was pretty great. I really like the character designs (Dooku's beard looked like it had been painted on). The main characters sort of looked like Woody from Toy Story, or other kinds of dolls/marionettes, which was supposedly what they were going for (with the budget restrictions factoring, of course). I think it works for the most part. I really love their eyes. The non-human(oid) stuff was just beautiful, though.
*Yularen was a badass, and had a fairly sizeable role toward the beginning. Rex was a pretty cool addition as well.
*Call me crazy, but I loved the scenes in Ziro's lair. That dude was weird as hell, and I liked the seedy atmosphere of his place. And yeah, Padmé was . . . er . . . well-designed. :D
*I like the reasoning behing giving Anakin a Padawan was to have him learn about letting go of attachments, but obviously by the end of the war he never figured that one out.
*The voices on most of the characters were really good - Obi-Wan, Yoda, Padmé, Jabba, and Ventress standing out (along with the three "real" actors). Anakin was okay but tended to overact a little, same with Ahsoka, and it looked weird with their underemoting faces.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and there were some problems (Ahsoka's personality, the battle droids being the main two) but I still think it's much better than the critics are saying. Chux, I'm not sure if you would like it, especially since you've not seen anything that you've liked so far (but feel free to ask questions about anything). My sister didn't like it but my parents did. As I said, it's not as good as the "real" movies, but it's fun and you could do worse as far as movies go.

However, I am now looking forward to the series even more than I was before. It will be nice to kind of get away from the Anakin/Obi-Wan/Ahsoka stuff for the most part. I want me some more Grievous and Kit Fisto.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2008, 12:32 AM
I want me some more Grievous and Kit Fisto.In the brief shot of Kit in the "newsreel" part, the camera on a close-up of him, and... he doesn't grin?!? :( Wha-?!? :D :D :D :D :D :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2008, 12:45 AM
In the brief shot of Kit in the "newsreel" part, the camera on a close-up of him, and... he doesn't grin?!? :( Wha-?!? :D :D :D :D :D :D
I saw Plo raise an eyebrow and I thought Kit smirked, so we're almost there.

Oh, and I forgot the absolute best part of the movie. Guess who makes an appearance?

The Deuce.

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 12:48 AM
I went to see it this evening expecting nothing more than a 90-minute commercial for the toy line and I was pleasantly surprised.

As a toy commercial, it's awesome and get's five stars (out of five) from me. This makes me want to go out and buy all of the Clone Wars figures and toys when initially I just wanted to focus on Clones and Battle Droids. Those AT-TE's are the coolest things to ever set foot in a Star Wars film! :thumbsup: - *****

As a television pilot (namely one for a children's cartoon), it absolutely blows away all expectations. In fact, I can't help but think that they can't keep up this level of quality for more than a couple of episodes. This is much better than the Droids and Ewoks pilot episodes and the Ewok specials. I would dare say, it's even better than pilots for some excellent "adult" TV shows like Lost, 24 and Breaking Bad. Primarily because it is a satisfying, self-contained story that doesn't have a cliffhanger ending. - *****

As a Star Wars feature film, that's where it kind of falls short, but I can definitely say that I enjoyed this more than all of the prequels rolled together and multiplied by two. Much more action and you grew to like the characters during the battles and chase sequences. The movie didn't have to stop dead in it's tracks for character development like Episodes 1-3 did. Watching this in the theater tonight reminded me of my first viewing of Episode 1 (what I still consider to be the best of the prequels overall), different and definitely not what I was expecting, but still enjoyable and a satisfying movie-going experience. ***1/2

I think people are making way too much out of the missing 20th Century Fox fanfare and the lack of an opening crawl. It's distributed by Warner Bros, so of course the 20th Century Fox opening is going to be gone. Plus, that's really just an advertisement for the studio, I don't see it as essential to Star Wars. Also, after six films, I'm ready for them to retire the opening crawl and I'm in no hurry to see it return. Good riddance as far as I'm concerned.

The animation was stiff in some areas, but I liked the stylized look. Some of the character models seemed like they belonged on a PS2, though, not a movie screen; but I'm sure those are going to be single appearance characters. There wasn't much deformation to the character models at all, so you didn't get the rubbery-ness of a Pixar film, which is fine for the Clonetroopers and humans, but was sorely missing on the Hutts and other aliens. Although I liked the texture mapping a lot, kind of a rough, hand-painted look. Very cool.

The battle sequences were awesome and there was a real intensity to everything and some real innovation as you saw tactics evolve from the events in Episodes 1 and 2. I liked how the Droid Army "borrowed" the Gungan shield technology.

I didn't think the Asohka girl was that bad, but I think the film would hook it's target audience better with a young boy padawan. Young boys would rather follow the progress of another boy their age, rather than a snotty little girl. Knowing that Asohka has to die before Ep3 kind of makes her seem more of a tragic character.

Finally, I am liking this cartoon Anakin much, much, much, much, much better than the Ep2/Ep3 Anakin. Much, much, much, much, much, much, much better.:yes:

If this is what we can expect for this series, then I am definitely on board for as long as it lasts.

I also feel that some fans are trying too hard to hate this movie, because they think they are supposed to. So, to that, I would just say stop trying to conform to the crowd, make up your own mind, and you might find that you actually enjoy this.:thumbsup:

Rocketboy
08-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Sweet Jesus, I forgot to mention the nicknames (not sure what was worse: Snips, Sky Guy, or Artooie?) and the retarded battle droids.
:rolleyes:

jedibear
08-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Interesting reactions going on in here.

Just got back from seeing it myself....and before I get into my random thoughts on the movie, let me just express my shock at this one thing...here it was, friday night, the opening night of this movie...it's in the big theater at our somewhat decent multiplex...last show of the evening and....there are only 20 or so people in the theater! Wow...I think this might be a bomb....I'll be interested just to hear how this does everywhere else over the weekend, but it'll definately be outta here inside the week with this dismal of an opening night...I was stunned.

Anyway, as for the movie itself....I liked it for what it really was...not a movie so much as a launch for the tv show. It established it's own style right away with that opening. I didn't miss the opening crawl so much and the "voiceover" announcer actually added some punch to it that worked ok for me. I also loved the quick cameos of other characters, both good and evil over that opening montage. Plo and Kit looked cool as did Grievous...seeing a quick shot of them was a good way of letting us know we'll see more of 'em in the show.

As for the animation....it took a bit to get used to, but I found myself enjoying the style as the movie went on. The whole affair had a very painterly feel to it I liked a lot the more it went on, and the character animation had an almost clay-like feel that is certainly unique.

The voice acting was...alright. The clones sounded good, but nearly everyone else sounded flat...almost like the vocal takes were off of round-table script readings instead of actual sessions where the voice actors might be seeing the actual footage they're performing for. The only characters that escaped this were the clones and, of all people. Padme.

The action scenes were well-rendered and full of visual punch, but the whole movie felt a little off with the pacing...however, I did really enjoy many of the "wide" shots, establishing environments and scale. The stuff on Tatooine was especially cool to look at. I suppose the pacing issue could be attributed to this "movie" being culled from several episodes of the forthcoming show,but is was a little clunky in places.

The score actually worked well for this. A hint of William's infamous themes was heard here and there, but like the visuals, the score took on a different direction for what we've grown accustomed to hearing with these adventures. The only minor problem with it was how overly-contemporary and pedestrian some of it sounded with the crunchy guitars and warbled choirs and female voices...there were some spots where I wondered if the footage had been temped with Bear McReady's "Battlestar Galactica" music and that was a little distracting, but not to the point of ruining it for me.

Now. what didn't really work for me....well, I'll start with Ziro. It wasn't the fey mannerisms or Capote voice that stuck me wrong...it was the speaking english. They had Jabba speak in huttese throughout the film (and with no subtitles...a good touch actually)...Ziro wouldn't have seemed so "wrong" if he had spoken his native language. It would have kept it interesting and a little alien and sinister...as it was, it just seemed awkward to watch and listen to. That one little scene at the end when he spoke to Jabba via hologram in huttese actually worked better than anything before it.
The huttlet...wasn't as overbearing and cute as I expected...it was more a plot device than a character...for what it was, it was okay.

Now...for what really didn't work. The mall-chick-tween Jedi girl. This character failed on every level for me. I half-expected her first line to be "Hi I'm here from market research because we've seen this saga needs a little "Bratz" appeal!" She sounded too modern and contemporary to be considered seriously as a Padawan. The voice, the too-adorable cute-girl midriff-bearing outfit and the constant back-talk were more irritating than anything the saga has ever offered in my book. The movie just died whenever she appeared and uttered those cringe-inducing nicknames and left that faraway galaxy. Totally contrived and unconvincing. Hopefully, her "arc" with Anakin does not last throughout the course of the series...heck, Jar Jar was less of a creative misstep than this character. Ugh.

All n' all...I enjoyed it for what it was...a sample of the show that's coming up. Plenty of visual punch and hopefully the focus really will shift around to other characters during the run of the series. Would like to catch it again before it leaves, mainly for the sumptuous visuals...but considering it's weak opening here, I may just have to wait for the disc...

That's it for my ramblin' on this one....let's see what the series can show us...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2008, 12:56 AM
Although I liked the texture mapping a lot, kind of a rough, hand-painted look. Very cool.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that the textures are really cool. Especially on Yoda.

And I quite liked the music. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would (though obviously not at the same level as John Williams' score). It would have been nice to hear more familiar tunes (apart from the beginning and end, it's all new). But I LOVED the redone intro music, and thought the Middle Eastern stuff for Jabba worked wonderfully.

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Just got back from seeing it myself....and before I get into my random thoughts on the movie, let me just express my shock at this one thing...here it was, friday night, the opening night of this movie...it's in the big theater at our somewhat decent multiplex...last show of the evening and....there are only 20 or so people in the theater! Wow...I think this might be a bomb....I'll be interested just to hear how this does everywhere else over the weekend, but it'll definately be outta here inside the week with this dismal of an opening night...I was stunned.

That's something else I noticed. In my small town, there were huge lines and sold out shows throughout the whole weekend for films like Dark Knight, Indy 4, Prince Caspian, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc. But i went to the second showing of this tonight, because I figured the first showing would be too crowded. I also thought I would be surrounded by young kids and their parents for this second showing, but there was a grand total of maybe 14 or 15 people in the theater max.

I really enjoyed it, so of course that means it's going to be the first Star Wars box-office bomb.:rolleyes: Just my luck.:D

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 01:02 AM
And I quite liked the music. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would (though obviously not at the same level as John Williams' score). It would have been nice to hear more familiar tunes (apart from the beginning and end, it's all new). But I LOVED the redone intro music, and thought the Middle Eastern stuff for Jabba worked wonderfully.

Well, I forgot to mention how much I liked the music as well. Very different but it was a welcome change. If this had been an inferior orchestra just rehashing John Williams' score, that would have been horrible. So I'm glad they are creating a unique musical feel for this.

I also really liked Middle Eastern style score, kind of reminded me of Black Hawk Down, but that's not a bad thing at all.:thumbsup:

El Chuxter
08-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Woah, G, I was just trying to say our tastes in movies seem to differ quite a bit. I guess it didn't come across as "tongue-in-cheek" as I'd planned.

I actually am a bit relieved that the reviews here seem to be not entirely negative. I'm not likely to see this in the theater (I've been over what it involves for me to catch a film actually in its theatrical release), but I want to at least watch it on TV when it airs. I'm hoping what I haven't seen is more impressive to me than what I have, though I doubt this could ever surpass (or even match) the original series.

And, looking at critical reviews, it's nice to see that Speed Racer is no longer the worst-reviewed movie of the year.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2008, 01:03 AM
I've not seen it yet. Maybe people are busy watching the Olympics. There doesn't seem to be much competition this week for new movies. Tropic Thunder and the new Woody Allen film are what I noticed in the paper. Those aren't ones you could take the kids to.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2008, 01:06 AM
The theater was about half-full, I'd say. About like ROTS on opening day (though that was in an older theater). The Dark Knight was almost completely full when I saw it in its second weekend, for comparison's sake.

jedibear
08-16-2008, 01:14 AM
.... I also thought I would be surrounded by young kids and their parents for this second showing, but there was a grand total of maybe 14 or 15 people in the theater max.

I really enjoyed it, so of course that means it's going to be the first Star Wars box-office bomb.:rolleyes: Just my luck.:D

That was my logic for hitting the last show as well...wanted to avoid a kid-fest. At least I was successful in that. Now I'm tempted to hit a matinee just to see if this movie has a pulse LOL...

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 01:23 AM
That was my logic for hitting the last show as well...wanted to avoid a kid-fest. At least I was successful in that. Now I'm tempted to hit a matinee just to see if this movie has a pulse LOL...

I think I'm going to make a late-night toy run just to see if there's been a "rush" on Clone Wars toys.:rolleyes:

Actually, seeing the movie has convinced me that I want a Rex figure, so hopefully, I'll be able to find one of those and maybe a Yoda. Last I checked, only the Obi-Wan, Anakin and Wal-Mart Clone figures were plentiful.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2008, 02:02 AM
I think I'm going to make a late-night toy run just to see if there's been a "rush" on Clone Wars toys.:rolleyes:

Actually, seeing the movie has convinced me that I want a Rex figure, so hopefully, I'll be able to find one of those and maybe a Yoda. Last I checked, only the Obi-Wan, Anakin and Wal-Mart Clone figures were plentiful.
Speaking of which . . . the one blue-trimmed clone in the movie was referred to by Rex as "sergeant," even though blue clones are lieutenants (there were no other clones that were clearly supposed to be in the 501st apart from Rex). Also, the Speeder Bike Recon and Senate Security clones were MIA . . .

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 02:59 AM
Speaking of which . . . the one blue-trimmed clone in the movie was referred to by Rex as "sergeant," even though blue clones are lieutenants (there were no other clones that were clearly supposed to be in the 501st apart from Rex). Also, the Speeder Bike Recon and Senate Security clones were MIA . . .

Well, I don't really care about that kind of stuff. I'm sick of quibbling over what's canon, what's not, and stressing over meaningless details. I would rather just enjoy it on the surface level and not waste the mental resources on that kind of thing.

I've been watching old episodes of GI Joe on YouTube and I realized that all of this worrying about continuity just ruins the enjoyment of the series. I've decided to apply this "check your brain at the door" mentality to Star Wars and it's really helping me to enjoy the franchise again.

Mvader91
08-16-2008, 03:34 AM
Nice, my setiments excactly!

plasticfetish
08-16-2008, 08:53 AM
I've decided to apply this "check your brain at the door" mentality to Star Wars and it's really helping me to enjoy the franchise again.As a fan, I'm not sure if I should laugh at that... or cry.

At this point I'm teetering between curiosity based on a possibly ill-conceived brand loyalty, and total indifference. Is it wrong for me to want to hold out for seeing this thing on TV instead?

All of the reviews that I'm reading (and not from fan sites, etc.) are saying pretty much what I'd expected. It's an uninspiring, overly obvious attempt at hyping the TV show and the toy lines, that's come during a season where we've already been given a lot of brilliant entertainment. And more to the point, plenty of brilliant entertainment that actually deserves an expensive trip to the theater.

If the best thing that can be said, is that it'll be fun to watch after I've had a lobotomy, then I'm thinking maybe I'll sit this one out for now.

jedibear
08-16-2008, 10:13 AM
I'd go for the big screen if only for the chance to see the art and the action scenes...they "read" really well. It's really impressive to see all of the work on texture mapping and detail that was put into this.

Banthaholic
08-16-2008, 01:08 PM
I saw this last night. I'm shocked to read on the web that because other people disliked it others might not now go. Then again I'm the type to stay complete spoiler free to be able to give it my honest opinion, and not have one with preconceived views from reading others viewpoints. Now that I have seen it shall be fun to discuss.

1st I think we need to remember back to our first viewing of Star Wars, whether it is the OT, PT. What drew us into it. For me it was the action, the mystery, and the crazy creatures along the way. For 30 + years the movies have been drawing in new fans, some along the same lines. Now some of us are watching new segments through adult eyes, criticizing mundane aspects and not letting in what originally drew us to Star Wars on the fist place. When you first saw E IV as a kid did you say, wow I love the script I'm a fan?

The Clone Wars was made to be a cartoon. Lucasfilm gave us one heck of a pilot. Is the script the best, does it need to be? It's a weekly cartoon series, not an attempt for the pullitzer. Did the nicknames get annoying? Maybe, but for kids it's a lot easier to say those than a star wars character names. Ashoka isn't the most popular name on the playground these days. Was the animation up to Pixar/dreamworks quality? Of course not, but not a bad 1st full length feature release for a studio that doesn't produce animated works, and the battle sequences might create a necessity of watching in slo-mo to take them all in.

As you can gather, I'm in the mindset of excitement for the Clone Wars. The first 3 episodes developed a story and I want to see where it goes. It was nice watching a Star Wars film and not knowing what was going to happen at the end. As good as E3 was, I hated knowing the outcome before the film, sort of like seeing Titanic. I had no idea if Rota or Ashoka would live or die, and that's a cool feeling again.

IMO to think that every week we're going to be getting programing of the caliber I saw at the theater yesterday on my tv is outrageous. And if nothing else, the Clone wars got us an AT-TE.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Well said Banthaholic. I won't be seeing it this weekend because I'll be watching the Olympics. I have some time off this coming week, so I'll probably try and see it then.

El Chuxter
08-16-2008, 01:31 PM
What got kids into Star Wars was the aliens, action, locales, etc.

What kept everyone into Star Wars was the quality of the storytelling and the strength of the characters.

And, again, I don't buy the "It's just a cartoon" argument. There are plenty of toons that are great movies or shows. I don't think it's expecting too terribly much to hope a cartoon based on something as good as Star Wars be at least as good as, say, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I'm not avoiding the movie because of reviews. I read reviews to see if my choice to avoid it was a mistake. Thus far, I'm not convinced.

Blue2th
08-16-2008, 01:40 PM
I'm going to go see it on Monday. Then I don't have to deal with all the figgity children who are there on the weekend because they'll be in school. :)

Let me enjoy the kid's movie without the kids. :laugh:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-16-2008, 01:56 PM
It's an uninspiring, overly obvious attempt at hyping the TV show and the toy lines
Well, it literally is just a prep for the TV show. It introduces one of the main new characters and lets people know what they'll be seeing every week. They were just going to put it out at three episodes, but decided to show it on the big screen instead.

That does bring up a question, though . . . it seemed like there were three obvious sections to this movie: Christophsis, Teth, and Coruscant (with the Tatooine story going through all three). This reinforces the idea that this was the show's original first three episodes (which, for the record, are NOT going to be shown as episodes on Cartoon Network). But, that would make this movie around 66 minutes, while it's actually more like 98 (from what I've read). Did they add stuff to it or what?

As to being better or worse than other cartoons or movies, well, it's years beyond Droids, Ewoks, and the live-action Ewok movies, that's for sure. I'm not sure if it was better than the first Clone Wars - it's certainly more realistic (Mace could never take out an entire army by himself, sorry), but it's been a long time since I've seen it so who knows. The dialogue is equally clunky but here there is more of it since it's designed to be more of a story and less of an adrenaline shot like the old one was.

cookiemonster
08-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed it, it was better than the Phantom Menace, it was Slightly Better than the AOTC - This to me is what the first Prequel Movie should have been like, learning about the main characters of the Story, I couldnt care less about the Senate, Yeah we all know Anakin changes to Vader so do we need to see that in the first or second movies (thats what irked me about the Prequel Movies, they didnt build Anakin up like they should have and when he turned to the Dark Side it wasnt a case of oh wow thats how he turned, it was a case of thank god for that we get rid of Hayden).

I actually care about the character Anakin again, and I think this new one will rock, as for Ahsoka looking forward to see how her character develops, however Hasbro jumped the gun on doing a CW figure of someone that wasnt in the movie.

As for the rest of the movie go see it, I dont want to spoil it for you, but go in with a child's mind and you will enjoy it better, it is closer to the original movies than the prequel movies.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2008, 05:30 PM
As for the rest of the movie go see it, I dont want to spoil it for you, but go in with a child's mind and you will enjoy it better, it is closer to the original movies than the prequel movies.I agree.

Although, there are some parts that were somewhat more violent than I expected for a "cartoon," which means that your "child's mind" might be a tad shocked at that aspect.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I saw Plo raise an eyebrow and I thought Kit smirked, so we're almost there.

Oh, and I forgot the absolute best part of the movie. Guess who makes an appearance?

The Deuce.A smybrow grin? :rolleyes:
I forgot about seeing Twobers, too! His tone of voice was... different? :pleased:

sith_killer_99
08-16-2008, 06:24 PM
I really enjoyed the movie, as did my daughter. I have only two complaints:

1. The Battle droid dialogue was pretty lame, even for a SW film.

2. Ziro the Hutt (Jabba's uncle) sounded lame. They would have been better off going with his native language.

Why? Because Lucas insisted on it. Director Dave Filoni was one of many among the crew that was caught off guard by the request. "Ziro, Jabba's uncle, originally spoke in Hutt-ese, like Jabba and then he had a different sluggish voice just like Jabba, and then George one day was watching it and said 'I want him to sound like Truman Capote.' He actually said that and we were like 'Wow!' It's a hybrid of it but the inspiration is definitely there on Capote. It's one of those things that takes him from being an interesting character and I think really does put him over the top and does something. He's a favorite among the crew here."
http://www.cinematical.com/2008/08/13/is-there-really-a-gay-hutt-in-star-wars-the-clone-wars/

Aside from that, the movie was really good IOM, and my daughter enjoyed it VERY much!

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 09:37 PM
If the best thing that can be said, is that it'll be fun to watch after I've had a lobotomy, then I'm thinking maybe I'll sit this one out for now.

Honestly, if I'm in the mood for profound or thought-provoking television, then I'll watch shows like Breaking Bad or Mad Men or a History Channel documentary. I enjoyed Clone Wars for the same reasons that I enjoy Spongebob Squarepants and the original GI Joe cartoon: I don't take them too seriously and consider them just mindless entertainment.

Besides if you are listing "crimes against Star Wars," then the original Droids and Ewoks cartoons should be considered much more "offensive" to the hardcore Star Wars fan than Clone Wars. If you don't believe me, then I have two words for you: moonwalking Artoo.

Also the nice thing about TV shows is they evolve over time. If fan reaction to Ahsoka continues to be negative, then she'll likely be written out of the series or the series will die. Either way, she'll be gone.

sith_killer_99
08-16-2008, 10:06 PM
Also the nice thing about TV shows is they evolve over time. If fan reaction to Ahsoka continues to be negative, then she'll likely be written out of the series or the series will die. Either way, she'll be gone.

WOW, she was actually my favorite character in the film! Her character has a lot of fire and she kinda reminds me of Leia. I felt she was the perfect padawan for Anakin. I really enjoyed the banter between them.:yes:

bigbarada
08-16-2008, 11:15 PM
WOW, she was actually my favorite character in the film! Her character has a lot of fire and she kinda reminds me of Leia. I felt she was the perfect padawan for Anakin. I really enjoyed the banter between them.:yes:

While she wasn't my favorite new character (that would go to Captain Rex), she did grow on me through the course of the film, so I don't see what the problem with her is. I'm just referring to the people calling her the biggest character misstep since Jar Jar. Something I don't agree with at all. I don't even believe that Jar Jar was that big of a misstep, only some of his over exaggerated antics.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-17-2008, 12:06 AM
I don't take them too seriously and consider them just mindless entertainment.
I don't know if that necessarily pertains to the new movie. It doesn't necessarily have the strong themes or dark undertones of the movies, but it's not like you have to be a chimp or a toddler to enjoy it. They had some stuff, like giving Ahsoka to Anakin so he could learn to become less attached, and then all the trade route negotiation stuff which I doubt was loved by young kids.

bigbarada
08-17-2008, 01:47 AM
I don't know if that necessarily pertains to the new movie. It doesn't necessarily have the strong themes or dark undertones of the movies, but it's not like you have to be a chimp or a toddler to enjoy it. They had some stuff, like giving Ahsoka to Anakin so he could learn to become less attached, and then all the trade route negotiation stuff which I doubt was loved by young kids.

Well my point is that people seem to expect every Star Wars movie to be some kind of profound, life-changing experience and always act disappointed when it turns out to be just a regular ol' movie.

I liked the original films, but never felt that my life was better for having watched them. To me they were just fun entertainment with cool vehicles and aliens and, most importantly, a really cool toy line. It was when I started to overthink the movies and assign a meaning to them that they were never intended to have, that I lost all my enjoyment of them.

If you read the early reviews of ANH from 1977, you'll see a common theme. The movie was seen as fun and energetic, but there was nothing profound or thought provoking in it at all.

So, as much as the OT fans have lambasted the prequels (myself included) and this new TV show, in 20 years all the kids who were introduced to Star Wars through the prequels or the Clone Wars are going to be saying the same things about these current films as we are saying about the OT now. That's just the way it works, and we're going to be those crotchety old men who just don't understand the younger generation. (Just like how some GI Joe fans actually like Serpentor, which I just will never understand at all.)

If you don't believe me, then ask yourself this: How many people who were 18 or older in 1977, actually believe that Star Wars is the greatest movie series of all time? My guess would be not many, which just means that our generation loves the OT because we saw it during our formative years and it impacted us more because of that.

plasticfetish
08-17-2008, 04:26 AM
which just means that our generation loves the OT because we saw it during our formative years and it impacted us more because of that.I have no problem watching this cartoon and judging it independently from the rest of what Lucas has given us, but you've got to admit that the fact that the OT was able to have a significant impact on anyone, probably sets it apart from this new show. If it comes close to having any kind of long lasting effect on the current generation of kids, then I'll be amazed.

My biggest criticism was that I'm not sure that this is deserving of a "big screen" debut. I've no doubt that it'll make for some pretty decent TV viewing, but I'm once again sensing Lucas' dark side, when he asks me to pay to see a 90 minute TV pilot. Last time I took the family out to see a film it cost me close to $50. So I'll ask a different way... is this really a $50 family event, or am I, an extremely forgiving fan with an extremely forgiving ten year old son, going to feel ripped-off when it's over?

Banthaholic
08-17-2008, 11:21 AM
An yone else catch the R2-KT cameo. I wonder if she is Ashoka's astromech

sith_killer_99
08-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Last time I took the family out to see a film it cost me close to $50. So I'll ask a different way... is this really a $50 family event, or am I, an extremely forgiving fan with an extremely forgiving ten year old son, going to feel ripped-off when it's over?

Well, my daughter and I went this weekend and we both liked it very much. Sure I was annoyed by the Battle Droid dialog and Ziro's stupid accent, but that aside we had a great time.

My wife didn't go, she wasn't feeling well.

I didn't spend $50 but easily spent $30 for the two of us. It was worth it IMO.:yes:

bigbarada
08-17-2008, 12:49 PM
The Battle Droids were the funniest part of the movie for me. But, then again, the silly Battle Droid dialog for Ep3 was my favorite part of that film. It's good to have the bad guys appearing silly and incompetent, because it prevent kids from wanting to aspire to be like the bad guys.

Also, Ziro got the most laughs from the audience that I was watching the movie with; which was mostly made up of high school teenagers... make of that what you will. For the record, he didn't really bother me at all. He's only the second Hutt that we've ever heard speaking in a Star Wars film, so who's to say that some Hutt's aren't bothered by speaking English? That's just some silly rule written in an EU book somewhere, so I doubt Lucas is even aware of it.:D

cookiemonster
08-18-2008, 02:25 AM
Ok I will admit the only thing that got me thinking nope, thats wrong is Ziro's voice, they should have stuck to the Huttese Language, but like I said thats the only thing everything else was great.

figrin bran
08-18-2008, 02:32 AM
An yone else catch the R2-KT cameo. I wonder if she is Ashoka's astromech

I noticed R2-KT as well. I'm sure a repaint of CW R2D2 is in the works for Hasbro

ncbarrett
08-18-2008, 08:00 AM
I enjoyed the movie quite a bit.
Nothing really annoyed me.
It met my expectations.
I liked Ahsoka very much, quite possibly my favorite character from the movie.
I thought the battle droid banter was quite funny.
Overall I was satisfied, and may go see it again in the theater, if I can talk my wife into going.
I will definitely pick up the dvd when it is released.
I am looking forward to the tv series.

I see this movie as either you love it or hate it.

Ando
08-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I noticed R2-KT as well. I'm sure a repaint of CW R2D2 is in the works for Hasbro

There's a picture of R2-D2 and R2-KT together on the Star Wars website under the characters gallery.

My wife squealed with delight when she saw 'her'. I got her the figure last summer. She keeps at work with the R4-M6 (Mace's purple Astro droid) I gave her.

Tenric78
08-18-2008, 02:39 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked this film after all the bad press. I loved it. It's funny that my wife went in both HATING Ashoka and Asajj, but came out liking the both of them! She also ended up liking clones now because they weren't just cannon fodder, but characters. So I have a lot to thank this movie for now. heh

I'm totally buying this on Blu-Ray.

JEDIpartner
08-18-2008, 02:51 PM
I enjoyed the film well enough. Was I blown away by it? No. Did it do anything to diminish or enhance my enjoyment of the actual films? No. What it did give me was a little more time to spend in the SW Universe and from a different person's perspective. I look at these as comic book installments from the world of Star Wars and nothing more. The film was neither terrible nor brilliant. It's a great diversion and, while the human characters were animated a bit stiffly, the CG was rendered beautifully. The detail incorporated into the characters and backgrounds was lovely. At times bits of it seemed like pastel drawings and other times, things seemed to have a wonderfully rich oil painting-like texture.

I can live with the "Snips" and "Skyguy" banter, but I'm not so sure about "Artooey". That was a bit of a stretch. If they continue to develop the characters and spend little time on meaning and content versus pure spectacle, this could be better than just a diversion for me.

Blue2th
08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
I saw it today. I liked it. Did I love it? no. Would I go see it again? no. Will I buy the DVD? yes.
I had no problem with the chemistry between Anakin and Ashoka. I think it was alright.
I didn't even mind Jabba's uncle Ziro talking like Truman Capote. I think it fit his sleazy personality. When he was talking later he spoke Hut.

The only complaint I had was that in the theatre I went to the animation seemed to be saturated with too much darkness and black. Somebody needed to turn up the brightness. Perhaps if I had seen it in a true digital presentation.

All in all I'm not sorry I saw this, and look forward to the TV series.

From what I have heard lately people are enjoying this more than the other two blockbusters out the same weekend, and for the most part a big dissapointment the number 1 flick Tropic Thunder. But I will go see it and judge for myself.

sith_killer_99
08-18-2008, 08:34 PM
I'm totally buying this on Blu-Ray.

I Artooey!

I mean, me too!;)

stillakid
08-18-2008, 09:45 PM
I took the kids to see this today.

The consensus is that it was okay. My son said that he enjoys the live action movies more. We agreed that this one drug on a bit long... it was like they were milking this one "mission" (to get the little slug back home) far longer than necessary.

I'm not a huge fan of the animation style and character design choices they made. I really enjoyed the earlier television Clone Wars "Samaurai Jack" style. This one feels plastic somehow. It just doesn't do it for me the way the other one does.

Overall, it was a much more fun and relaxing experience than sitting to watch Lucas's live-action Prequels. Seeing the Lucasfilm logo in a big theater was fun. I was a little let down when the Clone Wars logo didn't BLAM in like the live action movies. And no scroll. :( Those are elements unique to Star Wars and should've been used here too.

The characters were okay. Like the previous animated series, Anakin wasn't irritating like the Hayden version. I've seen some complaints about the girl, but I didn't find her annoying at all.

Even with its deficiencies, I think that this Star Wars story once again shows that Lucas's fans have a much firmer grasp on the Star Wars story than Lucas himself does.

bigbarada
08-19-2008, 03:03 AM
I took the kids to see this today.

The consensus is that it was okay. My son said that he enjoys the live action movies more. We agreed that this one drug on a bit long... it was like they were milking this one "mission" (to get the little slug back home) far longer than necessary.

I'm not a huge fan of the animation style and character design choices they made. I really enjoyed the earlier television Clone Wars "Samaurai Jack" style. This one feels plastic somehow. It just doesn't do it for me the way the other one does.

Overall, it was a much more fun and relaxing experience than sitting to watch Lucas's live-action Prequels. Seeing the Lucasfilm logo in a big theater was fun. I was a little let down when the Clone Wars logo didn't BLAM in like the live action movies. And no scroll. :( Those are elements unique to Star Wars and should've been used here too.

The characters were okay. Like the previous animated series, Anakin wasn't irritating like the Hayden version. I've seen some complaints about the girl, but I didn't find her annoying at all.

Even with its deficiencies, I think that this Star Wars story once again shows that Lucas's fans have a much firmer grasp on the Star Wars story than Lucas himself does.

Coming from you, this is high praise.:thumbsup:

Anyways, I think this would have been better being left as a TV show. There's a difference between being great for television and great for the big screen.

As a Star Wars film, I agree that it was more enjoyable than the prequels (which actually play much better on television, thank you SpikeTV); but it did seem a little light on substance compared to the OT.

Also, it was an underwhelming 3D animated film, especially compared to just about anything from PIXAR. This was somewhere in between Ice Age and Hoodwinked in terms of animation quality. Which would have been fine on TV, but people have just come to expect so much more in a feature animated film.

However, just because I recognize the flaws doesn't change the fact that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie and can't wait for the next episode.

Speaking of which, does anyone know what the timeline for the rest of the series is? When can we expect the movie on DVD and when does the show actually premiere?

JEDIpartner
08-19-2008, 11:04 AM
Speaking of which, does anyone know what the timeline for the rest of the series is? When can we expect the movie on DVD and when does the show actually premiere?

I don't know about the DVD, but the series starts on Cartoon Network on 3 October 2008. I think TBS gets it shortly thereafter. I'll probably only "toon" in on the TBS broadcasts since those will be in HD.

Ando
08-19-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't know about the DVD, but the series starts on Cartoon Network on 3 October 2008. I think TBS gets it shortly thereafter. I'll probably only "toon" in on the TBS broadcasts since those will be in HD.

I heard it the repeats would be on TNT, not TBS. Either way, I can't wait to see it! The series, that is. I saw the movie on Friday and loved it.

ncbarrett
08-19-2008, 11:52 AM
I heard it the repeats would be on TNT, not TBS. Either way, I can't wait to see it! The series, that is. I saw the movie on Friday and loved it.

TNT is correct.
I get TNT not Cartoon network so I'll have to catch them on TNT.

Ando
08-19-2008, 12:08 PM
TNT is correct.
I get TNT not Cartoon network so I'll have to catch them on TNT.

I get both, but only TNT comes in HD.

JEDIpartner
08-19-2008, 01:07 PM
I heard it the repeats would be on TNT, not TBS.

Whichever. They are both the same to me in that I don't really watch either and they are both broadcast in HD through Cox Communications. :D

Tenric78
08-19-2008, 02:20 PM
If you guys are interested, I came up with five reasons why I like the "movie" (http://www.therobotspajamas.com/?p=85).

Also, I was looking at negative reviews/comments just now and do you think that people were/are already set up to hate the film? I just get this feeling that it would have been a lot better received if it came out a few years ago before all the hatred had built up for Star Wars and George.

Rocketboy
08-19-2008, 02:51 PM
Speaking of which, does anyone know what the timeline for the rest of the series is? When can we expect the movie on DVD and when does the show actually premiere?The DVD is rumored to be out sometime in October also.

JEDIpartner
08-19-2008, 03:49 PM
If you guys are interested, I came up with five reasons why I like the "movie" (http://www.therobotspajamas.com/?p=85).

I can dig it. Nice job... and I have to agree with you on those points! :thumbsup: BTW-- Jar Jar IS expected to show up in the series from time to time. :tired:

Tenric78
08-19-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I figured they couldn't leave him out completely, but it was surprising he wasn't in the first three episodes at all. You know if he'd have been at least somewhat popular they would have stuck him in there somewhere.

JEDIpartner
08-19-2008, 04:31 PM
I think they are trying to strike a balance between gearing this for the younger set whilst also not cheesing off the stalwart fans. :)

Tenric78
08-19-2008, 05:23 PM
I think they are trying to strike a balance between gearing this for the younger set whilst also not cheesing off the stalwart fans. :)

Lol well they certainly tried, but it doesn't look like they did a good enough job for most people.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Also, I was looking at negative reviews/comments just now and do you think that people were/are already set up to hate the film? I just get this feeling that it would have been a lot better received if it came out a few years ago before all the hatred had built up for Star Wars and George.I saw it today and I liked it, but those weren't reasons. Anakin complained plenty in this. However, he did show a bit more maturity in dealing with the situation. Besides, I didn't find him overly whiny in the prequels.

While I liked the battles, I thought they went on a bit long in a couple spots. That's the sort of thing that gets boring after a while.

Jar Jar never bothered me all that much, so his inclusion wouldn't have been a problem if it fit with what was going on.

I'll agree on the Clone and Ventress points though. Also, I liked Ahsoka. She was a cute, spunky young thing.

DarkArtist
08-20-2008, 06:28 PM
saw the movie last night and i'm kinda on the fence with it. while the battle sequences were awesome, the whole tangent with Ziro the Hutt did not sit too well with me.

the soundtrack is very different from anything John Williams has done before but a welcome addition to the series.

the animation was not bad, but a far cry from some of the animation of today, especially since Lucas has proven that he is capable of realistic looking 3-D animation however some of the looks made the characters look they were from one of the clay-mation / wooden puppet Holiday Specials like Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer or something.

i'd have to see it again before making an official rating on the movie but for now i would give it a B- overall.

i think the problem was that Lucas took the idea of a TV series and felt that it could be released on the big screen. i mean even the movie critic Roper stated that the DVD is coming out in October this year so there were weak expectations as to what it would do in the theaters. i'm looking forward to the series when it finally airs as i think it's got potential to be really good.

my biggest question is this "Where does this storyline fit into the series. is it before or after the second part of the CLone Wars cartoon ?"

Ando
08-20-2008, 06:38 PM
my biggest question is this "Where does this storyline fit into the series. is it before or after the second part of the Clone Wars cartoon ?"

I think it takes place between Volume I and Volume II of the Cartoon Network Clone Wars (micro)series.

That is just an educated guess based on Anakin still having his braid in Volume I and the end of Volume II leads us into the beginning of Revenge of the Sith.

El Chuxter
08-20-2008, 07:26 PM
I think it takes place during the montage in Part II, where we see Anakin, newly knighted, engaging in heroics across the galaxy.

However, I understand the movie states it's "early in the Clone Wars," and Anakin wasn't knighted until about two years into the three-year conflict.

BTW, the score isn't by John Williams.

bigbarada
08-20-2008, 08:15 PM
From the interviews with Lucas that I've read, this actually replaces the original Clone Wars cartoon and bumps it out of the continuity completely.

Which is fine by me, because if you watch that cartoon, it doesn't really fit. The Jedi are shown as just way too powerful (especially Mace) and Grievious was portrayed as an unstoppable Jedi killing machine. Which doesn't match up to their appearances in the prequels.

Mad Slanted Powers
08-20-2008, 09:38 PM
From the interviews with Lucas that I've read, this actually replaces the original Clone Wars cartoon and bumps it out of the continuity completely.

Which is fine by me, because if you watch that cartoon, it doesn't really fit. The Jedi are shown as just way too powerful (especially Mace) and Grievious was portrayed as an unstoppable Jedi killing machine. Which doesn't match up to their appearances in the prequels.

I always looked at those events as the storyteller taking creative license. The events may have occurred, but specifics about how it was done was exaggerated in a cartoonish manner. I've also yet to read all the comics and books from that time. When I get through all of that, then I'll be able to look at it all and see what I think works best.

Tenric78
08-20-2008, 10:06 PM

I just figured that Grievous was only so powerful because the Jedi let their fear of him over take their common sense. Obi-Wan kicked his *** because he could see past his fancy tricks.

stillakid
08-20-2008, 10:17 PM

You say that as if it's a bad thing. ;)

Clearly the Mace and Co. antics of the other animated series were on the exaggerated side, but certainly not outside the realm of what an audience allows as acceptable in a cartoon like that.

Apart from the exaggerated abilities, the original animated "micro series" outdid the live action Prequels by far in nearly every way. It is a bit like comparing apples to oranges, but had the live action Prequels been told by true fans of what Star Wars is meant to be, I think it's safe to say that the worldwide derision of Lucas's versions wouldn't exist.

I do have my issues with this new Clone Wars feature, but it still surpasses anything Lucas's live action Prequels added to the Star Wars lore. More than anything, this new feature was clearly not written for the big screen so it seems very out of place up there. Imagine if the final episode of MASH had been released to theaters instead of played on TV like the previous seasons of episodes. Interesting? Yes. Appropriate? No. The new Clone Wars feature goes on too long with too thin of a plot and the animation style is weak at best compared to the previous animation on television. This movie is an interesting aside, but I really don't see it attracting enough viewers to take the series more than one season. It's okay, but not extraordinary.

Another miss by Team Lucas. :(

General_Grievous
08-23-2008, 09:47 PM
After seeing this, I can honestly say that "The Phantom Menace" is no longer the worst Star Wars movie. :dead:

bigbarada
08-23-2008, 10:00 PM
After seeing this, I can honestly say that "The Phantom Menac" is no longer the worst Star Wars movie. :dead:

Attack of the Clones was always the worst Star Wars movie in my book; but Clone Wars is awesome!

plasticfetish
08-24-2008, 03:57 AM
Hit a matinée showing of The Clone Wars with my young padawan (nerd) learner today. We shared the... errr... not full, but not empty theater with a good mix of people, from very young kids, to teens, to adults, and there was a surprisingly good mix of boys and girls also.

My first observation is that this show did go over very well with the kids. So, my comment about it having no "lasting" effect on them may in fact be wrong. I can't speak for the adults or how they reacted, but the kids (including mine) all seemed to love the show. Having said that, I'll maintain that this feature release wasn't as big as it should have been (and no, I don't think it deserved $30 of my hard earned money), but I really do think that the TV show will do well.

I enjoyed the show. My son enjoyed the show. It was a very enjoyable show. My only one complaint is that the whole things starts up too quickly, and that to deserve a place on the big screen, there should have been some kind of significant recap. The little "this is this, so here we go" at the start wasn't enough for me. Oh sure, I know what's going on, and so do all of you, but it's bad to assume that everyone else is up to speed on what's going on.

Maybe a little refresh of what got us into the war would have been nice.

I think much of the criticism that I've read (some here, but mostly from critics) has been correct in many ways, but I also think that many people have done a pretty predictable job of ignoring the simple fact that this show comes with a lot of baggage attached, and by "baggage," I mean 30+ years of expectations from the fans.

Lucas knows who he's making this thing for, and though I complained about the feature starting up too quickly, thereby not including the non-harcore fans into the story, he's not really making this for anyone but us. Well... us, and all of the new fans that he's hoping to hook once this thing starts rolling like some kind of huge, animated... errr... Clone War... on the Cartoon Network.

He's making this one for the kids, and for the hardcore fans. He's keeping it light and fun, and he's shooting for a style that's different enough from what we've seen, but familiar enough to your average video game player (or Gerry Anderson fan) to catch our eyes.

I like the style, and caught the subtle (or maybe not) Gerry Anderson thing a long time ago. Which is super as far as I'm concerned, because I'm a huge Thunderbirds fan anyway, and think if that's what they're really doing, then they're brilliant. While the amount of detail was... no... not what I saw in the movie Wall-E this summer, it's about 100 times more than what I would expect from your average TV cartoon, so again, I'm really looking froward to this show on TV.

The textures, the colors, and the consistency of design, or how the style was used, really impressed me.

The story is what it is, and when I'd read a few reviews (from the big critics) that complained how this was just "one big battle after another," I immediately wondered about what they were expecting from something called The Clone Wars.

I had no real problem with any part of the story, and I walked away kind of shocked that I didn't. I expected to hate the new padawan, but frankly, I'm a fan of Ahsoka, and look forward... seriously... to how her story develops. Oh sure, the cutesy lines could make you puke, and her back-and-forths with Anakin made me shield my eyes, but none of it really smacked me in the face like I expected, so I'm willing to roll with it.

The whole "battle" aspect is done very well I think. Contrary to what the critics have said, I don't think the show is just one big battle blur after another. It all had good pacing as far as I'm concerned, with a fair mix of battlefield drama, one-on-one Jedi duels, and all of that other "dialog stuff" that needs to happen the rest of the time.

I like the pacing, because it has a very true, classic matinée movie feel, which as far as I'm concerned, is what links it successfully to the rest of the Star Wars films.

But with that said, this isn't one of those films, and shouldn't be rated against the six genuine feature films in any way. It's apples and bananas as far as I'm concerned, and all I expect is that the same Star Wars spirit of fantasy and adventure be there when this show takes off on TV.

And I'm hoping, expecting and predicting that it will, if they can maintain the same kind of energy and style that I saw this afternoon.

scruffziller
08-24-2008, 10:28 AM
I have not even bothered to go see it yet. Dragging my feet due to the bad reviews. I'll probably watch it when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

cookiemonster
08-24-2008, 01:34 PM
For anyone who is putting off seeing it or is saying it is terrible, I will tell you something this has brought me into the Prequel collecting (well the animated Prequel Collecting), I hated the Prequels with a passion I thought they were drivel and crap, hated Hayden for his lack of acting, hated the senate debating crap - can you imagine what the Original Movies would have been like if for most of the movie you saw Mon Mothma and the rest sitting around talking about what they were going to do - Yawn Fest 78.

Lucas has a winner here, so go see it and enjoy it like you did the Originals and forget about the Newer Movies, because if you go in with the mindset of the Newer Movies you aint going to like them, but if you go in with the mind frame of the Original Movies then you will thoroughly enjoy them.

plasticfetish
08-24-2008, 03:50 PM
can you imagine what the Original Movies would have been like if for most of the movie you saw Mon Mothma and the rest sitting around talking about what they were going to doYes, and aside from the scenes where they actually do show Mon Mothma sitting around and talking about what they're going to do, there's very little of that in the OT. ;)

After what's been pretty much episodes 1-3, I think it's a little hard to determine how this rates (or will rate) against the OT or the prequels. Love or hate the prequels, those were stand alone feature films, and these will be short serial installments, so they can afford to do things in quicker bursts.

Frankly, it was never things like the Senate scenes that bothered me in the PT anyway. That's the kind of stuff that I'd always wondered about as a kid, and think it was done pretty well. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing some of that in animated form on the new show as well.

The one thing that the TV show has going for it, is that if there's an episode that sucks, then we can all just say, "Oh well, that one wasn't so good. I wonder what the next one will be like?" I mean... if they're doing 100 episodes, it's going to have a machine gun effect, and at least a few of those bullets are going to (be a) hit. With the feature films, all it took was a handfull of weak scenes to taint the entire experience for some people. With the cartoon, unless they really, really screw it up, this isn't going to happen.

bigbarada
08-24-2008, 05:46 PM
Yes, and aside from the scenes where they actually do show Mon Mothma sitting around and talking about what they're going to do, there's very little of that in the OT. ;)

After what's been pretty much episodes 1-3, I think it's a little hard to determine how this rates (or will rate) against the OT or the prequels. Love or hate the prequels, those were stand alone feature films, and these will be short serial installments, so they can afford to do things in quicker bursts.

Frankly, it was never things like the Senate scenes that bothered me in the PT anyway. That's the kind of stuff that I'd always wondered about as a kid, and think it was done pretty well. I'm sort of looking forward to seeing some of that in animated form on the new show as well.

The one thing that the TV show has going for it, is that if there's an episode that sucks, then we can all just say, "Oh well, that one wasn't so good. I wonder what the next one will be like?" I mean... if they're doing 100 episodes, it's going to have a machine gun effect, and at least a few of those bullets are going to (be a) hit. With the feature films, all it took was a handfull of weak scenes to taint the entire experience for some people. With the cartoon, unless they really, really screw it up, this isn't going to happen.

For the record, they were standing around talking about what they were going to do.:p

So far of the four films that have taken place in the prequel time period, I've only liked two of them (Clone Wars and Ep1). After watching Ep3 again last night, I think I understand why: Hayden Christensen. He's the weak link in Episodes 2 and 3, mainly because his voice can only do "whiny teenager" and nothing else. He was terrible when he tried to act brooding and evil in ROTS. He just scrunched his eyebrows really tight and tried to speak in a "powerful, booming" voice that kept cracking and breaking like a kid entering puberty. There was zero chemistry between him and Obi-Wan, and the "love scenes" between him and Padme were mostly unsettling.

Watching films like Jumper just cement the impression in my mind that he was miscast as Anakin Skywalker and I'm glad that he's decided not to return to voice Anakin in the cartoon.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
08-24-2008, 06:22 PM
Watching films like Jumper just cement the impression in my mind that he was miscast as Anakin Skywalker and I'm glad that he's decided not to return to voice Anakin in the cartoon.
He wanted to do it, but Lucas said it was too expensive (ha!).

Rocketboy
08-24-2008, 09:27 PM
He wanted to do it, but Lucas said it was too expensive (ha!).I think he meant that it was too expensive to cast the actual actors for the series when compared to the number of quality voice actors out there who work for far less.

For the Clown Wars it was more than likely it was too much work on too little notice.
With Sam Jackson and Christopher Lee ( who joined fairly late in the game) it was a matter of redubbing what little bit of the movie they were in. Anakin had a far bigger role and would have required a lot more work in the small amount time they had to get the thing out.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-14-2008, 03:39 AM
This was in Entertainment Weekly today:

Defending George Lucas and His Critically Trashed 'Wars'
Jeff Jensen explains the importance of ''The Clone Wars''

By Jeff Jensen

Last month, George Lucas gave the world a new Star Wars movie, and for the first time in the 31-year history of the franchise, the Empire struck out. The Clone Wars — a computer-animated action flick designed to launch a new series for Cartoon Network that premieres Oct. 3 — has grossed only $33 million in three weeks despite an impressive show of marketing force. More withering were the reviews, which blasted the movie into tiny chunks of Alderaan. This magazine gave it an F. Roger Ebert gave it a star and a half and groaned: ''Has it come to this?'' And supergeek Harry Knowles said it reeked like so much bantha poodoo, it nearly stopped him from buying Hasbro's new $150 Millennium Falcon toy.

But the haters got it wrong — about The Clone Wars, about Lucas (''Sellout''? What does that even mean these days?), and about the current state of Star Wars in general. Missing from much of the overheated bashing of The Clone Wars was the crucial point that it was made for kids, not the grown-ups for whom the original trilogy remains (ridiculously) sacred. Several reviews simply revisited and rehashed the bitter disdain many adult Star Wars fans have for the prequel trilogy. I get that bitterness. But my young Star Wars-loving children don't, nor do the kids who were raised on the prequels and (heresy!) actually liked them.

The Clone Wars is simply too well produced to justify virulent disdain and too insignificant to prosecute the Lucas-legacy argument. The movie is a small pleasure, which is only a problem when you expect huge things from a Star Wars film. Today's kids have no such expectations. For them, Star Wars is a stream of content — books, comic books, toys, micro-cartoons, videogames, DVDs, and, soon, a TV series. This new generation sees no distinction between movies and their merchandise, and that's just fine with them. Expect to see more of it. After all, the biggest movie franchise (Harry Potter) and the most-talked-about youth TV show (Gossip Girl) are literary franchise accessories. In Hollywood, the buzz phrase is ''transmedia properties,'' where movies are but one of many separate conduits for a story. It's a tricky, in-process idea, one that, if executed creatively and with integrity, portends an inventive new form of storytelling in its own right — and Star Wars is leading the way. The Clone Wars will not be remembered as a great animated movie — or an awful one, for that matter. But it might be remembered as part of a larger pop moment that is wiring the future of entertainment.

I still generally don't agree with the "it's made for kids, so it's OK to suck," but I kind of see what he means overall. It's fun, but when you expect the greatness that comes with the other Star Wars movies, you're going to be let down.

I actually went to see it for the second time yesterday; I went with a few friends and we were the only people in the theater (which is seldom visited these days anyway). I liked it a lot better this time, actually. Ahsoka has grown on me now that I knew what to expect; the nicknames were still a bit much, but not nails-on-a-chalkboard like they were last time. Some of my friends actually laughed at the battle droids, and in spite of myself I did a few times as well . . . as with Ahsoka, since I knew it was coming, I could prepare myself for it, and sort of enjoyed it (though I still don't love it and wish it would be dialed back a great deal). The character development, especially in the relationship between Anakin and Ahsoka, was actually very well done.

Pretty much the entire time, though, I kept thinking how much better it would all be with more John Williams music. The few times that his score (or a variation of it) was used, it really "felt" a lot more like Star Wars. The music is somewhat interesting (and pretty good in a few places), but in the show I really hope they use the themes from the films as opposed to the middling rock score (for instance, Jabba's theme was sorely missed here since it was also used in TPM, ANH, and ROTJ when he was shown).

Still, I'm really looking forward to the show.

jedibear
09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Good post, Mr. JJ....

I agree with the mag writers (and yours) sentiments. I always thought if TCW as just another outlet for presenting a SW story. Much like the books have many different authors and/or styles or the comics present extreme ways of telling stories, this new animated approach is just that...a different way of presenting SW that may or may not appeal to everyone.

I haven't like every single bit of media that SW has been presented on...some of the comics border on the ridiculous, some of the books are just plain boring (but I have a real soft-spot for those "young reader" books) and I'm sure I won't like every thing this new show offers (sorry but Ashoka is still a irritating to me as Jar Jar is to many others).

But in order to stay "relevant" and interesting to a new generation of fans (and some of us older ones), I think it's a good idea to wander into different styles of storytelling and presentation, as long as the quality is there...and whatever one's views on this new incarnation of SW are, it can't be said that the effort and quality aren't there...

El Chuxter
09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
I've said before and will again, just because something's made for kids doesn't mean it has to have weak storytelling. Roger Ebert was an adult in 1977, and already a respected critic, and he loved Star Wars.

The Wizard of Oz and ET aren't bad movies that get by on the "made for kids" argument.

Comic stories like "A Death in the Family" (Batman), "The Chid Within" (Spider-Man), "Silent Interlude" (GIJoe), and "Hard Travelling Heroes" (Green Lantern and Green Arrow) were all designed to be read by kids, but are masterpieces.

What about Harry Potter? There are an insane number of adults reading those, not because kids are reading them (I don't see similar numbers of grownups reading Goosebumps), but because they're masterworks of storytelling.

Sorry, if George can make three great Star Wars movies, one good one, and two okay ones, there is no excuse for making a bad one.

As for letting the kids enjoy it as mindless entertainment, fine. If my daughter (or any future kids I may have) ask to see it, I'll let them. But when I'm picking what they watch for them, why expose them to garbage when there are other movies, like anything from Pixar, that they'll like at least as much, and that won't drive me insane?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-14-2008, 03:57 PM
But it's not garbage. Going from your ratings system, I'd say it's "okay." Not everything has to be either a masterpiece or a stinker . . . there IS some middle ground between Casablanca and Mac and Me, you know. ;)

I truly think Dave Filoni tried to do right by the saga and mostly succeeded. It's kind of hard to continue this conversation until you see the movie, though, so you can definitively see for yourself whether or not it's "garbage."

El Chuxter
09-14-2008, 04:12 PM
I still haven't seen it, but was basing it upon the folks who think it is but that that's okay since it's a kids' movie.

I'll watch it on Cartoon Network. Despite what they say, it will be there within the year.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-14-2008, 04:35 PM
I still haven't seen it, but was basing it upon the folks who think it is but that that's okay since it's a kids' movie.

I'll watch it on Cartoon Network. Despite what they say, it will be there within the year.
I was under the impression that it will be shown on Spike TV first. But yeah, CN will get it soon enough.

jedibear
09-14-2008, 08:35 PM
It will also be on DVD by the end of November.

Kidhuman
09-14-2008, 08:38 PM
I have no issues with the movie. It was what it was, enjoyable.

cookiemonster
09-17-2008, 03:31 PM
He wanted to do it, but Lucas said it was too expensive (ha!).

I thought Hayden had washed his hands of the Star Wars experience completely because it stiffled his acting ability. And now I find out the little craphead wanted to come back and do the voice for Anakin Skywalker in the new Clone Wars, I am glad Lucas said hit the road, lol.

I would have hated the New Clone Wars, instead of loving it.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
I thought Hayden had washed his hands of the Star Wars experience completely because it stiffled his acting ability. And now I find out the little craphead wanted to come back and do the voice for Anakin Skywalker in the new Clone Wars, I am glad Lucas said hit the road, lol.

I would have hated the New Clone Wars, instead of loving it.
What are you talking about? Of course he left Star Wars; everyone did, there were no more movies left.

cookiemonster
09-17-2008, 08:35 PM
What I am talking about is the fact that Hayden said that while he was doing the Star Wars movies, George Lucas stiffled his acting ability, thats why apparently he didnt do a good job, he actually said this just after he made Jumper. So thats what I am talking about.

And now to find out he came back to George asking to be in the New Movie, lol, hes a bigger loser than I thought.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Do you have a link to where he said that?

2-1B
09-18-2008, 01:52 AM
As if Jumper was getting critical acclaim...

Don't get me wrong, I like H-Christ and I thought Jumper was ok (but nothing great).

http://www.eonline.com/gossip/hum/detail/index.jsp?uuid=fed52f08-046a-4b8e-9567-c3b9126a90bc

Phantom-like Menace
09-18-2008, 02:23 AM
The Clone Wars is simply too well produced to justify virulent disdain and too insignificant to prosecute the Lucas-legacy argument.

This is quite possibly the most absolutely reasonable thing I've heard anyone to date say about this movie. This installment is the poster child for a mid-range rating, and people want to bury it under copies of Plan Nine from Outer Space. God, overreact much?

I got a pretty good laugh out of your Gyllenhaal comment, but I really laughed at the comment Great White Snark wrote. On the record, I agree with you, though, where she is concerned.

However, you're wrong. The only reason why people like you and me didn't hate the movie is because we just don't look at things with a studied enough eye and deep enough experience to hate everything out of hand. The Internet has proven to me time and time again that if you hate something, you're wise and consider things, but if you love something, you're naive and haven't given it due thought. We'll both have to work on that.

But it's not garbage. Going from your ratings system, I'd say it's "okay." Not everything has to be either a masterpiece or a stinker . . . there IS some middle ground between Casablanca and Mac and Me, you know. ;)

Not on the Internet. There is no one-to-ten scale; only a one-or-ten scale.

2-1B
09-18-2008, 07:35 AM
I was sympathetic to the list Tenric posted until the author of the piece in that link started talking about how "sexy" Ventress is.
Okay. :rolleyes:

I guess that would explain the distaste for Maggie Gyllenhall, then...

cookiemonster
09-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Do you have a link to where he said that?

Thanks 2-1B, I could remember seeing it, I knew I had seen it on Yahoo News as well.

There you are JJL, like I said hes a prat and a ponce, and there is other interviews with him all over the place in fact where he first said this was in the Daily New York Herald (I think that was the paper).
http://www.eonline.com/gossip/hum/de...7-c3b9126a90bc (http://www.eonline.com/gossip/hum/detail/index.jsp?uuid=fed52f08-046a-4b8e-9567-c3b9126a90bc)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the link. Yeah that does come off a little b****y. But many actors from SW have said the same sort of thing in the past. Dunno.

Rocketboy
09-18-2008, 03:59 PM
I don't really see anything too bad in what Hayden said. Ewan said far worse things while the movies were still filming.

2-1B
09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
As a fan of Hayden (not to mention being a fan of Rocketboy as well), I have to agree with Rocketboy's opinion...I don't think what Hayden said was "bad" either, in fact it's pretty...factual. lol

I don't remember hearing much about GLu discussing character development with his actors, if anything it seems like he just did a little bit on set before they shot.

cookiemonster
09-21-2008, 09:11 PM
See I cant stand Hayden, so I suppose I am seeing it from the other side, and I dont know rocketboy whoever he is, so I cant tell you much about him either.

bigbarada
09-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Basically Hayden just said that Lucas knew exactly what he wanted and he wasn't interested in any input from the actors. If you watch the movies, you can see that is the case; but that's been a complaint of Lucas' writing since 1975.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-22-2008, 10:16 PM
I have no issues with the movie. It was what it was, enjoyable.

Pretty much agree with you, KH. My only small gripe was some of the dialogue got on my nerves. If Tano called Anakin "Sky Guy" one more time I was going to strangle her. I just hope the cartoon shows Anakin in a more authoratative, teacher position than what he was in the movie.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-25-2008, 10:20 PM
It'll be out on DVD November 11 (http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news20080925.html#rss). I'm not thrilled with the packaging; I wish they'd used the single-disc art for the two-disc edition. I kind of like the Best Buy tin, if the DVD is otherwise the same; I don't know why Target has such a hard-on for Commander Fox, though. I'll have to see what the other exclusives are first.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2008, 10:17 AM
According to the Sunday newspaper ads, Target's 2-disc has a graphic novel, and Best Buy is in a "steel book" format (is that the metal case?). I'm leaning towards the comic.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Hmm . . . if the Best Buy packaging also has the "normal" DVD case inside, then I'll get it. The Target one is weird with the Commander Fox focus (as I said two posts ago), but that comic could be worth it.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-11-2008, 01:09 PM
Picked up the Target one with the comic, because I decided a metal holder wasn't all that big a deal. Looked through the 2nd disc. I liked the webisode on the voice actors, but I couldn't tell how the deleted scenes were deleted; they seemed just like what was in the film. I'll take a look at the whole movie sometime later.

pbarnard
11-11-2008, 01:19 PM
It'll be out on DVD November 11 (http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/news20080925.html#rss). I'm not thrilled with the packaging; I wish they'd used the single-disc art for the two-disc edition. I kind of like the Best Buy tin, if the DVD is otherwise the same; I don't know why Target has such a hard-on for Commander Fox, though. I'll have to see what the other exclusives are first.

It's about branding. Target is red, Cmdr Fox is red.

Slicker
03-27-2009, 06:43 PM
I bought this yesterday and was finally able to see it and I was quite impressed. I haven't seen any of the TV cartoons (well, just bits and pieces) so I went in all virginized and such. I almost wish they'd go to the OT with this computer style. They could use the voices of Hamill, Fischer, etc. They voices can't sound as bad as they all look nowadays...

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-15-2009, 05:15 PM
I really can't tell if this guy is a spammer or not . . .

plasticfetish
04-17-2009, 12:28 AM
I really can't tell if this guy is a spammer or not . . .What guy is that?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-17-2009, 01:02 AM
Oh, silly moderator . . . a guy who seemed to be genuinely talking about Clone Wars but had a link to some site twice in his post. The post has been deleted, apparently.

plasticfetish
04-17-2009, 03:13 AM
Was teasing you Jr. (I deleted it.)

Mr. JabbaJohnL
04-17-2009, 04:50 PM
Was teasing you Jr. (I deleted it.)
I figured as much. But now the world will know the tragic tale of this legendary spammer, perhaps the first one ever who tried to seem like a normal person.

JediTricks
04-18-2009, 06:35 PM
Without having read a single word of this thread lately...

I finally broke down and got the movie from Netflix. Honestly, after hearing so many bad things about the movie but seeing the show first, the movie was alright for me. Ahsoka is pretty much what we got in the show, Obi-Wan isn't the tool he becomes in the series, Anakin is a fair balance and far more tolerable than AOTC Ani, it looked good, was exciting, and had a fair piece of pacing (except the end, which wrapped up too quickly and asked too much of Ahsoka). I think this movie might have done better at the box office if it had been presented in 3D, it looked good enough to warrant it. And I don't get why people were saying Ziro was a homosexual stereotype, he used the Capote voice but his actions weren't anything flaming-queeny, it was just a voice.

Things I didn't like:
Mace is barely there, doesn't do anything.
Padme's inclusion is late and feels tacked on.
The last quarter of the movie is too locked into the Ani / Ahsoka storyline, and lost all the clones.
Saber battles all pretty much just petered out.
Yoda and Dooku's textures were too rocky and solid.
Too many recycled bodies and heads for aliens.
Obi-Wan's dishonorable use of surrender.
R2 doesn't have as much to do, and most of it is very supplementary.
DVD menus took too darn long to go through their video.

I watched it again with the commentary, and a lot of the stuff that was head-scratching material turned out to be Lucas, so I didn't mention it above:
Jabba being the father of the Huttlet (they wanted Ziro to be the dad)
Ziro's Truman Capote voice
Whorm Loathsome's Scottish accent (this didn't entirely bother me, but it didn't really fit the shape of his mouth)
There was some other stuff, but I can't think of it right now.

Bottom line, I think it fit very well with the series in general, and it mostly looked good (Tatooine being the massive exception, but they owned this in the commentary). I give it a 6.5 for an overall movie experience, maybe a 7 depending on who I was discussing the recommendation with.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I watched it again last night for the first time since last September. I actually liked it more than I perhaps thought I would, maybe with all the negativity building up in my mind. Maybe I'm more used to the style of the show now after seeing the full season. Ahsoka wasn't as bad as I remember, though I'm glad they seemed to have retired her nicknames by now. They definitely laid the groundwork for a lot of what I loved in the show itself, like the personalities of the clones (which was actually a little jarring to me at first). Still, it moved pretty slowly in the middle. The animation wasn't as bad as I thought it might be compared to how it is now; however, I saw a bit of Dooku Captured after the movie, and the animation there was much more fluid.

I still think the critics were way, way too harsh on this.

Blue2th
05-02-2009, 06:00 PM
I've been liking CW more each time I watch it. Especially the DVD's released so far you can slow down parts to get a good look at em.
More of what I look at and interested in are the space battles, and ships and vehicles in action. It seems thet even if you didn't like the characters or story line, you would like the ships vehicle scenes. They really are done well.
Icing on the cake for me.

El Chuxter
11-21-2010, 02:30 AM
Well, this finally premiered on Cartoon Network tonight. And I watched it, and am prepared to say I was a bit wrong in my judgment. Not 100% wrong, but I cannot in good conscience say that it sucked, or came anywhere near to sucking.

Granted, the animation was, overall, quite weak, particularly in dealing with faces of characters. This especially worked poorly for Rotta, who was pretty much nothing but a face, and came out looking like some sort of rejected animation from the Olivia cartoon (http://www.nickjr.com/kids-videos/olivia-olivia-and-the-old-west.html). (The character was a tad annoying, and it did him no service to have me constantly thinking, "This is Rotta the Hutt. He is good at lots of things. He is very good at wearing people out. He even wears himself out.") However, the backgrounds were usually solid, the physics seemed more sound than in most cartoons, and the choreography of fight and battle scenes were quite good. Faces, though... this had nothing on Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, which is pretty imperfect itself but several years older.

Still don't care for the character designs. The angular, abstract look works in the ultra-2D worlds Genndy Tartakovsky created (not just in the Clone Wars micro-series, but in Samurai Jack and Dexter's Laboratory as well), but they just don't gel with 3D computer animation.

But I expected both of these flaws, having seen a few episodes of the show, and went in not holding the visual quirks against the movie.

Ahsoka was not nearly as annoying as other episodes I've seen. She was annoying as hell, but didn't make me want to gouge my eyes out. I actually got the impression that the filmmakers were going for the rogueish Han Solo character, who is missing from the prequels. (Anakin comes closest, but, knowing his fate, it's tougher to take him seriously in that role.) Her nicknames were irritating, and the drama with Rotta goofy. Even a cameo from The Deuce couldn't salvage that subplot, when the resolution was simply, "Give him this generic pill that just happens to be the one pill on this freighter."

I cannot forgive a pre-teen youngling dressing like a crack ho, though, and, with her looking like that and being so inappropriately sassy, she still reeks of an attempt to get young female viewers who might be hoping she breaks into some irritating song. Still, I have to say that she's less grating than Jar Jar, and I'm one of the people who didn't think Jar Jar was too bad. I just can't get past the fact that she can't comfortably fit into the overall story, though I did get some heavy foreshadowing from Yoda that the general consensus is right and she won't survive beyond the series finale.

Overall, the dialogue was excellent. Some of the interactions between Ahsoka and Anakin were forced, particularly early on, but, otherwise, the script was actually better, IMHO, than in any of the three prequels. It certainly felt more "Star Warsy."

Ziro didn't bother me as much as I'd expected to, either. Nor did the Clones, and pretty much everyone knows how burned-out on Clones I am. Storywise, it felt rushed toward the end, and Padme seemed shoehorned in. And the ending was just a bit too clean, given the rest of the movie.

Battle Droid humor was lame. I can buy something like in TPM, where the security droids just simply are confused by Qui-Gon's confident assertion that they're leaving. Here, it was just over the top and ridiculous. These morons are a credible threat?

Voice-wise, no complaints aside from Palpatine, who just sounded wrong. I'm not sure if the same actor played him as Sidious, who was fine, but he didn't work as Palpatine. I was particularly irked by his pronunciation of "treaty" as if it were a three-syllable word.

I was surprised that, though it doesn't seem like the newer episodes are doing the same, there appeared to be a definite attempt to make the movie fit in with the mountains of earlier Clone Wars lore. Asajj's past confrontations with the Jedi in the comics, novels, and early toons are hinted at. Dooku's confrontation with Anakin was handled in such a way that it actually made it believable that Anakin would suddenly go nuts on him in ROTS, but not here. The sort of ROTJ homage in the Obi-Wan/Asajj duel (where Obi-Wan used Asajj's anger to goad her out of hiding) was nice. Only the aforementioned bit about Ahsoka simply not fitting in well here, and the slight issues with Jabba having a kid and not seeming to recognize the name Skywalker from TPM (or later in ROTJ) stuck out, but they're more minor than most of the continuity brainfarts coming from Lucasfilm lately.

Overall, I'd have to say it's a better film than AOTC or ROTS, and feels more Star Warsy than any movie since 1985. I'd have to give it a solid B--pretty good, considering how awkward the animation was. I may have even enjoyed it more had Cartoon Network not advertised next week's premiere of the Speed Racer movie during every commercial break, which would make almost any movie look inferior by comparison. Just saying. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-21-2010, 04:25 PM
Hey, cool that you liked it. I'm surprised that you say Ahsoka was less annoying here, as I feel like the movie has her at her most bratty. Maybe it takes some time to get used to her; the movie was my first exposure to her, and it grated on me, but you've seen episodes with her, so perhaps the effect was less intense.

The battle droid humor, Ahsoka nicknames, and character stylization have all been mellowed as the series has progressed, thankfully.

2-1B
12-05-2010, 10:48 PM
The 2008 movie is pretty terrible compared to many of the superior TV episodes.

sith_killer_99
12-06-2010, 01:48 AM
I took my daughter to see it back when it was in theaters and we both enjoyed it. :thumbsup:

It is a cartoon, so I didn't have high expectations.