PDA

View Full Version : I think someone just scored a j-slot firing Boba on ebay!

Imnewherehello
02-05-2008, 12:56 AM
But I can't post a link because I don't have ten posts yet. I'd love to get a second opinion on this. The ebay username is headhunter54 and the auction title is:
Old Star Wars Vintage Action Figure Lot Original 4!!!!

Sorry I can't give you a direct link!
Thanks!
Andrew

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 01:14 AM
Well, if the auction is over none of us are going to be able to find it without the item number. That should be on the far right directly across from the auction title. Post that here and we'll be able to view it.

Imnewherehello
02-05-2008, 01:37 AM
no auction number needed - just do an advanced search for that user name plus completed auctions!

Imnewherehello
02-05-2008, 01:46 AM
but here's the number anyway!...

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 01:51 AM
I see it, now I'm just wondering how a girl who collected Barbies (according to the item description) would have ended up with an unpainted "J-slot" Boba Fett. That's a little weird.

BTW, here's the item number just to make it easier on everyone else:

I adjusted the brightness of that photo in Photoshop to try to get a better look at the slot on that Boba's back. Take a look:

plasticfetish
02-05-2008, 01:52 AM
Here are the pics from the auction...

(edit: Sorry BigB... I see you beat me by a minute. ;))

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Does that qualify as a "j-slot?" Or is it the other one? L-slot? I'm not a Boba Fett expert, so someone will have to enlighten me.

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 02:03 AM
(edit: Sorry BigB... I see you beat me by a minute. ;))

And I even took the time to adjust the levels on that one pic in Photoshop. I'm faster than I though. :D

plasticfetish
02-05-2008, 02:14 AM
You are fast... I cleaned mine up a little also.

Well... I'm no expert at all, but it looks like an "L slot" prototype. I dunno. It's always possible that the seller had some connection to someone from Kenner. It's also possible that it's a really clever fake though... hard to say.

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 02:45 AM
The description was beginning to strain credibility for me as I read it. Although I do think the "some of these might be Star Trek figures" line was a nice touch. lol

Deoxyribonucleic
02-05-2008, 03:02 AM
There are some great ebayers out there selling j and l slot reproduction rocket firing boba fett prototypes in gray, blue and clear blue. They do not advertise them to be originals. I believe that this is one of those because one, it looks exactly like one I have and two, notice how far apart the legs are on the fake prototype compared to the regular boba fett...the arms, legs and head are made from soft pvc plastic and they 'drift' apart. The color is WAY off too!

I think this particular person is feigning ignorance and trying to sell to collectors who might not know the real story behind this figure.

Check out the pics and the story behind the 'rocket firing' boba fett at theswca.com link below for pictures of real prototypes and here are some from the site of real prototypes, notice the legs are not far apart like the one on sale at ebay and the clear blue one is one of the l-slots I bought with the legs far apart. They offer gray, blue or holoblue with either j or l - slot for purchase...comes in a great little white mail-away box too with a reproduced picture from the original offer from kenner. Again I stress that the talented people making these sell these as reproductions, add no peg holes and no date/country stamp so they can't be passed on as originals either. The pictures given on this ebay auction are rather crappy for lack of a better word and you can't tell if there are holes in the feet. Would be worth asking the seller about these two features.

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=proc_search&search_string=rocket+firing+boba+fett

stillakid
02-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Right on with Deox. A sudden "find" by a one time poster with a "RARE" figure? :rolleyes: Any imp who falls for that deserves to get taken. Imnewherehello will have to try a little harder next time. :whip:

Slicker
02-05-2008, 06:40 AM
It's obvious that these bidders don't believe it's that real since it's only going for $90.

How would someone just "find" one when they weren't even sold at retail? He's definitely trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes.

plasticfetish
02-05-2008, 06:48 AM
Although I do think the "some of these might be Star Trek figures" line was a nice touch. lollol Yeah, that was the part that made me laugh also.

notice how far apart the legs are on the fake prototype compared to the regular boba fett...the arms, legs and head are made from soft pvc plastic and they 'drift' apart. The color is WAY off too!Right! Okay... I noticed the leg thing, and obviously the color's off. (Forgot about that awesome clear blue Fett that you have. I really need to look into one of those.)

Imnewherehello will have to try a little harder next time. Well, I wouldn't go and assume that he set this up. We'll just give Imnewherehello the benefit of the doubt. ;)

Imnewherehello
02-05-2008, 09:27 AM
Wow... stillakid... thanks for the warm welcome... it's nice to meet you as well...
No, I'm not trying to set anyone up, and no, I had nothing to do with this auction. I've been reading these forums since they started - I think I first came here via a link to the "POTFTOO!" pages - which are similar to, and might have even predated what we see in "Toyfare Theatre" today.
I know the vintage scene very well, but have never gone into the prototype realm, as those things hold no particular childhood memory for me - or, certainly not any memory that would make it worth the $ they command.
Stillakid, let me tell you where your logic fails you the most.
Were I part of this "conspiracy", wouldn't it follow that I'd post a link BEFORE the auction ended, so that I might bring in a few more bidders to up my take? I just happened to see this auction as it was ending - every now and again I peruse ebay just to somewhat keep up with the scene.
I wanted to post this here because I figured I'd find some folks who know the prototype scene better than I.
Anyway, no hard feelings... I've been on several other forums for years and have seen such reactions in the past. Just bear in mind that future quick rebukes like that to other folks might very well turn away a potential friend or trading partner.
Blessings,
Andrew

LusiferSam
02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Check out the pics and the story behind the 'rocket firing' boba fett at theswca.com link below for pictures of real prototypes and here are some from the site of real prototypes, notice the legs are not far apart like the one on sale at ebay and the clear blue one is one of the l-slots I bought with the legs far apart.

Oh, good call Deox. I hadn't even looked at the legs. I looking more crapping photos and description. What's the likelihood somebody finding a prototype figure in their attic and not knowing what it's worth? But the stance is clearly the give a way here.

Does that qualify as a "j-slot?" Or is it the other one? L-slot? I'm not a Boba Fett expert, so someone will have to enlighten me.
A j-slot Fett has a J shaped slot in the back for the firing mechanism. If it's not a J shaped slot than the figure is a l-slot. J-slots are the rare for the two and easier to fake. That because you can take a normal Boba Fett open him open, remove the missile, cut a j-slot, and add a firing mechanism. All true j-slots I've seen are painted. They also used the 8 sided missile that's sonic-welded in the real Fetts. L-slots are harder to fake because of the color, lack of COO and date, and they came with a 4 sided missile. That's not to say it can't be done. I've a number of them for sell and here's yet another example.

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 12:26 PM
There are some great ebayers out there selling j and l slot reproduction rocket firing boba fett prototypes in gray, blue and clear blue. They do not advertise them to be originals. I believe that this is one of those because one, it looks exactly like one I have and two, notice how far apart the legs are on the fake prototype compared to the regular boba fett...the arms, legs and head are made from soft pvc plastic and they 'drift' apart. The color is WAY off too!

I think this particular person is feigning ignorance and trying to sell to collectors who might not know the real story behind this figure.

Check out the pics and the story behind the 'rocket firing' boba fett at theswca.com link below for pictures of real prototypes and here are some from the site of real prototypes, notice the legs are not far apart like the one on sale at ebay and the clear blue one is one of the l-slots I bought with the legs far apart. They offer gray, blue or holoblue with either j or l - slot for purchase...comes in a great little white mail-away box too with a reproduced picture from the original offer from kenner. Again I stress that the talented people making these sell these as reproductions, add no peg holes and no date/country stamp so they can't be passed on as originals either. The pictures given on this ebay auction are rather crappy for lack of a better word and you can't tell if there are holes in the feet. Would be worth asking the seller about these two features.

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=proc_search&search_string=rocket+firing+boba+fett

I noticed the wide stance and wondered if it had any significance.

Is there anyone who still makes those rocket-firing Fetts? My brother's a huge Fett fan and he would probably get a kick out of owning one of those.

msjedi
02-05-2008, 12:35 PM
Here is a auction number of one on ebay 160205123230

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
Wow... stillakid... thanks for the warm welcome... it's nice to meet you as well...
No, I'm not trying to set anyone up, and no, I had nothing to do with this auction. I've been reading these forums since they started - I think I first came here via a link to the "POTFTOO!" pages - which are similar to, and might have even predated what we see in "Toyfare Theatre" today.
I know the vintage scene very well, but have never gone into the prototype realm, as those things hold no particular childhood memory for me - or, certainly not any memory that would make it worth the $ they command.
Stillakid, let me tell you where your logic fails you the most.
Were I part of this "conspiracy", wouldn't it follow that I'd post a link BEFORE the auction ended, so that I might bring in a few more bidders to up my take? I just happened to see this auction as it was ending - every now and again I peruse ebay just to somewhat keep up with the scene.
I wanted to post this here because I figured I'd find some folks who know the prototype scene better than I.
Anyway, no hard feelings... I've been on several other forums for years and have seen such reactions in the past. Just bear in mind that future quick rebukes like that to other folks might very well turn away a potential friend or trading partner.
Blessings,
Andrew

Welcome to the forums.:cool:

Every once in a while, if you pay attention to those "lots" of action figures, you can strike gold. A few months ago, I won an old auction for a group of "ESB figures" for $42 and scored a great vintage Han Carbonite. The guy didn't realize that, not only was Han Carbonite NOT an ESB figure, but he was one of the rarest figures in the entire line.

I haven't always been so lucky, of course, but that's what makes ebay so fun.:yes:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-05-2008, 12:37 PM
I noticed the wide stance and wondered if it had any significance.

Is there anyone who still makes those rocket-firing Fetts? My brother's a huge Fett fan and he would probably get a kick out of owning one of those.

Hey Big B, PF, here's the seller. Looks like they have some stuff up on bid right now. You might email them about the holo rocket firing fett as I don't see it up right now but I know they put it up often. They are $30 a pop, but to me well worth it. Plus they are super nice guys. I will definitely be buying the nontransparent blue one from them soon.

Enjoy guys :thumbsup:

http://myworld.ebay.com/swindyfan/

:)

bigbarada
02-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Hey Big B, PF, here's the seller. Looks like they have some stuff up on bid right now. You might email them about the holo rocket firing fett as I don't see it up right now but I know they put it up often. They are $30 a pop, but to me well worth it. Plus they are super nice guys. I will definitely be buying the nontransparent blue one from them soon.

Awesome!! Thanks, that was my internet impulse buy for this week.:D My brother's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks, so this will be a perfect gift. :cool:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-05-2008, 12:51 PM
Awesome!! Thanks, that was my internet impulse buy for this week.:D My brother's birthday is coming up in a couple weeks, so this will be a perfect gift. :cool:

HEY, that's great! :thumbsup: I just bought some vintage stuff on ebay too! I seriously think we were pushing 'buy now' at the same time LOL Keep your eye out for the Holo Fett too, it is SO cool looking! Maybe get it for your brother for X-mas, it is right around the corner hehe

bigbarada
02-06-2008, 09:54 PM
HEY, that's great! :thumbsup: I just bought some vintage stuff on ebay too! I seriously think we were pushing 'buy now' at the same time LOL Keep your eye out for the Holo Fett too, it is SO cool looking! Maybe get it for your brother for X-mas, it is right around the corner hehe

I told my brother about it and he's excited (we always tell each other what we're giving for birthday presents just to avoid disappointment). He didn't know anyone actually made those. I got a message from the seller that they were shipping today from Singapore, so they should arrive in time for me to mail them to my brother before his birthday on the 22nd.

For some reason I misread your earlier post, I thought you said that plasticfetish was the one who made them.:o I better let my brother know when I give him these figures before he goes and posts PF's SSG account information on some other forum.:o:o

Anyways, thanks again.

Deoxyribonucleic
02-06-2008, 11:48 PM
I told my brother about it and he's excited (we always tell each other what we're giving for birthday presents just to avoid disappointment). He didn't know anyone actually made those. I got a message from the seller that they were shipping today from Singapore, so they should arrive in time for me to mail them to my brother before his birthday on the 22nd.

For some reason I misread your earlier post, I thought you said that plasticfetish was the one who made them.:o I better let my brother know when I give him these figures before he goes and posts PF's SSG account information on some other forum.:o:o

Anyways, thanks again.

My sis and I do the same thing and our gifts are always about a month late but it gives us something to laugh about.

I bet when you saw Singapore, you about ***t a brick huh? ;) They have fantastic feedback and it should take about 7 or so days from the day they ship it. Sorry, I shoulda mentioned that, I'm just so pleased with these fellas, that they could have shipped it from Mars and I would not have cared :)

And no prob, glad I could get the info out. I should be their US sales person :thumbsup:

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Guys, don't believe the hype. Despite many claims to the contrary, there's no scientific evidence that the j-slot exists. :beard:

bigbarada
02-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Guys, don't believe the hype. Despite many claims to the contrary, there's no scientific evidence that the j-slot exists. :beard:

But absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. :p

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2008, 08:01 PM
But absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. :pAnd that memory is so persistant that it'll melt your clock like an action figure under a magnifying glass. :dali: :confused:

Thunderbird
03-06-2008, 11:05 PM

I want to thank you for the link:thumbsup: I bought some of these alittle while after you posted these and just go them today. I have to say these are AWESOME:D After almost 30 years I finally have a rocket firing Boba Fett:pleased::pleased:. Sure their not a real prototype, but then again I didn't have to pay thousands for them.

I pick up one J slot, one L slot and a L slot holo, and they are simply amazing. Plus I looked through my extra vintage accessories and had a couple Stormtrooper blasters and now they have guns:yes:

Thanks again, and if your thinking of getting these I highly recommend it.

Deoxyribonucleic
03-07-2008, 01:57 AM
I want to thank you for the link:thumbsup: I bought some of these alittle while after you posted these and just go them today. I have to say these are AWESOME:D After almost 30 years I finally have a rocket firing Boba Fett:pleased::pleased:. Sure their not a real prototype, but then again I didn't have to pay thousands for them.

I pick up one J slot, one L slot and a L slot holo, and they are simply amazing. Plus I looked through my extra vintage accessories and had a couple Stormtrooper blasters and now they have guns:yes:

Thanks again, and if your thinking of getting these I highly recommend it.

GREAT!! :thumbsup: GLad you picked some up and you are diggin on them. BigBarada also got one for his brother. The guys that do these are super nice too, very humble and just glad that people think their work is great, which it is, that I tell everyone I can about them!!

I still need to get the blue (not holo cuz I have that one) L-slot proto soon.

jjreason
03-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Just saw this thread for the first time, and I'm going to watch their auctions for a holo version. :thumbsup:

Deoxyribonucleic
03-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Just saw this thread for the first time, and I'm going to watch their auctions for a holo version. :thumbsup:

That's the one I got, you won't be disappointed. These are the coolest things since sliced star wars figures ;)