PDA

View Full Version : KOTOR Comics Not Terribly Riveting - Second Chances?

Tycho
02-07-2008, 04:52 AM
I have read every issue now including the start of this Vector cross-over thing.

I like Zayne Carrick, Jarael, and the rouge Mandalorian seems interesting. Oh, Glyph the Snivvian is funny.

And I think Lucian Dray is a descendant of Nomi Sunrider, possibly.

But I'm not so into the story actually. The current business on Taris has gotten confusing. If it is finally revealed that the Mandalorians were after that talisman, then OK. I guess that's cool. But why they are invading planet by planet on the Outer Rim and just recruit anyone into their ranks doesn't sit well with me.

Why doesn't the Republic just send in a strike team to "join" the Mandalorians and then hit them from the inside out, behind their own lines?

I don't know. I'm thinking of re-reading the series from issue 1 to see if I actually care. It is not inspiring me the way Republic did starting with the introduction of A'Sharad Hett in Outlander. (Ki Adi Mundi's first adventuere wasn't bad either, come to think of it).

I had no desire to buy Darth Revan or Darth Maleck figures when Hasbro put them out, and I am usually into the EU. KOTOR is just not that good by my first impression (even after 25 issues!)

figrin bran
02-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Tycho, I wouldn't be able to tell you anything that might spark/renew your interest in the KOTOR comic as I've given up on it myself. I read the recent Vector issue but have skipped 3 or 4 issues before that one. You nailed it when you said it just isn't as compellling as Republic was.

As for Revan and Malek, they've only appeared in one panel so far in the comic and so Hasbro's release of their figures is not because of the comic but for their prominent role in the KOTOR games, which are decidedly more compelling than the comic, if you ask me.

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I hate to say it, but none of the Star Wars comics are especially riveting right now. KOTOR is dull. Dark Times is duller. Rebellion is silly. And Legacy is dull and stupid.

Dark Horse and Lucasfilm would be smart to go back to the miniseries format, and bring in some new writers (and maybe artists, too). Even some big names would probably be willing to work on Star Wars for less than their normal asking prices, simply because it's Star Wars. Can you imagine Grant Morrison and Jim Lee teaming up for a Boba Fett story?

Also, they should really consider bringing back Tales. Every issue had some crap, but some great stuff, too. Even when only one of the stories was good, I never felt ripped off with Tales. The anthology style worked really well with something as huge and diverse as Star Wars.

Tycho
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM
I don't know if guys like Stan Lee would "get" Star Wars though. I'm not saying that I know they wouldn't either. I'm just saying it could be great, or a disaster.

Kevin J. Anderson and Michael Stackpole wrote some of the best Star Wars comics of the past. Bringing these novel authors back would be a great move.

I'm a big fan of John Ostrander who shaped most of the Republic comic and is doing Legacy now. "Legacy" is the best current title. We have a thread to argue about that however.

Dark Times just put out a very good issue. I rather like this series in "second place," but that is not saying I'm thrilled by it. Rather it just has had some good moments.

Rebellion? It has not really captured my attention. The stuff with Lt. Sunber that carried over from his introduction in "Empire" was alright. He's a cool character. Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to re-read the latest issue. I cannot imagine Leia deciding that the Alliance should sacrafice their only Jedi (Luke) on a suicide mission. Meanwhile, Deena Shan should stay out of the Alliance and find somewhere she can call a talkshow psychologist on the holonet. She needs Dr. Phil more than she needs a BlasTech.

KOTOR? Well my complaints are what this thread is about.

It is not Tales of the Jedi, that is for sure.

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 08:54 PM
I can guarantee you Stan Lee would not "get" Star Wars. There's a generation of comic creators who grew up on SW, love it, and have never worked on it, though.

Among others, Kevin Smith comes immediately to mind. He apparently can't hit a deadline with a bazooka, but he loves SW. Jim Lee apparently fought hard to get the license when it was up for renewal a few years back, but Dark Horse got it again.

As far as "older" talent goes, how about Larry Hama, who wrote GIJoe for over ten years? Or Simon Furman, the writer on Transformers for ages? Bring back Louise Simonson, who wrote some of the greatest Marvel comics of the 80s, including what I consider the best single SW story ever told in comics.

I'd just like to see some new blood, and some more chances to do stories that don't fall into any of the four current series.

Tycho
02-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Well I'm a writer and I totally wanted to write for Star Wars!

Tycho
02-09-2008, 07:25 AM
I've started to Re-Read all 26 issues that are out now (if you count issue "0") as I just finished reading Darth Bane Rule of Two and I'm into that era of SW at the moment. (Well KOTOR takes you further back in history a bit, but the time difference is insignificant when you compare it to the era the movie saga is set in).

Anyway, I'm liking Zayne Carrick and Glyph of course - always did.

We'll see how the overall flow of the story sits with me this time, as I'm more familiar with the characters and care about them a little more than I did when I started this series way back when - like most of you did - and I didn't have a clue or care about these guys.

It does just jump into the Mandalorian War thing without explanation though.

The Mandalorians were conquered by Ulic Qel Droma when he became a Dark Lord of the Sith. They served him, and finally ventured deep into the heart of the Republic to attack at their dark master's urging.

Before that, they seemed to be an inter-species martial art culture hell-bent on privateering in the Outer Rim. They had no political agenda, they were just soldiers of fortune - like pirates - only a culture of them rather than just a gang. Did I get that right?

Ulic helped organize them into an army, honor-bound to serve the Sith.

It seemed that relationship ended when Nomi Sunrider and the Jedi defeated Ulic and his master, Exar Kun. So now the Mandalorians are back under the command of the new Mandalore and are trying to recapture their greatest glory they found during the Sith War. Is that it?

KOTOR doesn't lay down the foundation for that really clearly enough for me.

Tycho
02-11-2008, 01:46 AM
I've really turned an about-face on this series and I am really liking what I'm reading now in KOTOR.

I have to take back what I said before. I'm enjoying this series now.

I'd recommend it. However, it still isn't as cool as Ulic Qel Droma's story, but we don't need that repeated either.