PDA

View Full Version : Vintage pegwarmers!

bigbarada
02-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Anybody remember who they were?

The one that sticks out in my mind the most would be the B-Wing Pilot. I remember seeing a whole stack of them on POTF cards sitting at a Kaybee Toys in Santa Fe, NM as late as 1987.

The AT-ST Driver would be a close second, probably followed by General Madine.

In July 1986, my brother and I went to a TRU in California (somewhere around San Diego, I think) and we saw a clearance rack of POTF figures. They were 2 for $1 and still rotting on the pegs. Aside from the B-Wing Pilot and AT-ST Driver, I also remember seeing:
Paploo
Lumat
Barada
Imperial Dignitary

There might have also been a few Teebos and Combat Poncho Leia's in there. There was definitely one Jawa that I passed on for some inexplicable reason.

In the other aisle, we saw several Rebo Band sets for like $5 a piece and a bunch of the old Micro Collection Hoth sets for, I think, $1 to $2 each.

I had $25 on me that day and I left the store with a GI Joe HAVOC vehicle, a General Hawk action figure and a Lady Jaye action figure.

Ah, what a stupid kid I was.:cry:

Deoxyribonucleic
02-07-2008, 12:43 PM
In July 1986, my brother and I went to a TRU in California (somewhere around San Diego, I think) and we saw a clearance rack of POTF figures. They were 2 for $1 and still rotting on the pegs. Aside from the B-Wing Pilot and AT-ST Driver, I also remember seeing:
Paploo
Lumat
Barada
Imperial Dignitary

There might have also been a few Teebos and Combat Poncho Leia's in there. There was definitely one Jawa that I passed on for some inexplicable reason.

In the other aisle, we saw several Rebo Band sets for like $5 a piece and a bunch of the old Micro Collection Hoth sets for, I think, $1 to $2 each.

Ahhhhh, this post is killin' me smalls! Rippin' my heart right out!

I remember seeing a bunch of POTF at a local mall toy shop when I was 14 and I specifically remember seeing Amanaman and thinking he was stupid because at that point I thought Kenner was just making stuff up so they could still sell star wars figs. Well, I've been put in my place since then, that's for sure.

What I remember being around most was the endor rebel soldier and speeder bike!

Kidhuman
02-07-2008, 12:51 PM
I remember walking into Odd Lot(much like Big Lots today) and seeing all the POTF figures. I didnt get them because I bought Atari games. They had General Lando, Amanaman, Luke Stormtrooper, Barada and te rest. They were $1 dollar each. Me and my brother looked at them for a long time and ten went and got some Atari games for 2 bucks each instead.

El Chuxter
02-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Squid Head always seemed to be a major pegwarmer in my neck of the woods.

vader121
02-07-2008, 01:36 PM
I really don't remember many vintage pegwarmers but have a few stories to share ...

-A local store called 'Odds n Ends' had piles of Lando skiff and Ree Yees for a $1 each. I did get Ree Yees as at that time I didn't have him yet.

-KB had pegs of ROTJ figures for $1.29 each (I've told this story at least a few times). Figures I remember were Klaatu, Klaatu skiff, & Weequay but I'm sure that Bib Fortuna, At St driver, Squidhead, Ree Yees, & Lando Skiff were in there. There wasn't any Biker Scouts, Han endor, or Leia endor in there because I would have bought them as I always wanted like a million Biker Scouts and I didn't have Han endor and Leia endor at that point. i did buy the Jabba playset that same day. They also had a pile of POTF figures for $4.99 each. Bought Barada that day.

-TRU had mountains of ROTJ figures for $.99 each. Probably all the beforementioned figures where there. I vaguely recall they had Droids and Ewoks figures but I don't think they were $.99 each.

That's it. Around 84-85 I was 11 and not too into Star Wars anymore. GiJoe was the toy to have.

JON9000
02-07-2008, 05:10 PM
I remember Dengar being everywhere.

Jedi_Kal-El
02-07-2008, 05:58 PM
There was a small mom and pop toy store back in my home town that had almost all the POTF figures up until they closed in 1990. Had I not been a young dumb kid back then, I would have picked up one of each and stored them.

Kidhuman
02-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I remember Dengar being everywhere.

That bastage was hiding in my closet, he was everywhere.

LusiferSam
02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
The B-Wing pilot I remember being the biggest of the pegwarmers. I past on that figure any number of times as a kid. I recall seeing a lot of Poncho Leias about the same time the rebels started cloning their B-Wing pilots. The KB's I went in '88 had nothing be pegwarmers. Klaatu, Admiral Ackbar, and the B-Wing pilot were in long supply. Beyond that I don't really remember too many pegwarmers. There was always at lest one figure I didn't have hanging around when I went to a toy the sold SW toys.

evenflow
02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
I remember as a kid odd lot had shelves and shelves full of Rebo bands and Jabba the Hutts.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I got my Rebo Band from Sears Surplus (10 Jedi Master Points to anyone who can figure out what THAT store had :rolleyes: ) for either $2 or $4. I recall getting a few figures in the small white, thin boxes (no cards) for cheap, too.

SW:
I recall the odd yellow saber on the card of Ben [Obi-Wan] Kenobi a lot.

ESB:
I can't recall any off hand right now in this line; maybe Ugnaught?

ROJ:
I concur with B-Wing Dude, plus Bib Fortuna, Squid Head, or Madine.

POTF:
Only one: Barada. It was at my local Thrify's for months at the awfully-high price of $4.99. Someone had snatched the weapon (coin still there), but when I finally decided to buy it [wait for it.. wait... ] it was gone. :(

Neuroleptic
02-08-2008, 07:32 PM
I remember seeing the B-Wing pilot as late as 1988, possibly early 1989 at a KB In Lousiana. If that store is still open, I wonder if they'd still have em?

bigbarada
02-09-2008, 12:04 AM
I think the Nikto might have been a pegwarmer also because my brother ended up with three of them.

sjd9299
02-09-2008, 01:19 PM
I remember seeing alot of Ackbar and Squid Head. My KB Toys had POTF 2 for $1. If I had only known! Man, $.50 each. I got Luke Stormie and Amanaman for some reason. I remember wanting Han in Carbonite, but not being able to find him. I also picked up an Ewok Battle Wagon that day.

Collector_Kid
02-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm not even old enough to know about vintage pegwarmers. Haha. :)

But yeah, if only I could go back in time.... *stares off*

CropDuster
02-22-2008, 09:14 AM
The last time I saw vintage series figures was at KBs in Dec. '85 in the St. Louis area. They were on clearance of course. I think I chose to spend my allowance on M.U.S.C.L.E. men instead of POTF figs on sale. Doh! :upset: Hindsight they say is 20/20. I agree.

bigbarada
02-22-2008, 11:02 AM
If you consider them a part of the vintage line, then I remember the all-new figures from the Droids and Ewoks lines rotting on the shelves.

Of course, I never saw Threepio, Artoo, Boba Fett and the A-Wing Pilot; but the non-carry-over figures from the cartoon never seemed to sell at all. Especially Jord Dusat, the chubby guy.

I always remember seeing nothing but Duloks on the shelves and not a single Ewok from the Ewoks line. Which sucked, because I actually liked the cartoony representations of Logray and Wicket.

mabudonicus
02-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Yeah, I recall the Dagobah playset and Jabba, 2 HUGE skids stacked tall for 3 bucks a pop.
The figure I remember pegwarming the hardest around here (we hardly got the POTF stuff up here) was ol Prune Face, followed closely (for some unknown reason) by Jedi Luke
:beard: Iso&Baws
Ree-Yees was HTF here too, for some reason, had to get him over the border at Hills

darth_robb
03-23-2008, 07:26 PM
I recall Nikto on a ROTJ card being available even when they went clearance for like $.98 cents at a Best Store.